PDA

View Full Version : best drinking fountains?

ensoul
October 26th 07, 10:19 PM
I used to have Drinkwell but ran into a problem replaing the filters I
ended up giving to my daughter & her family

I got one with a dome, had excellent ratings but it was such a pain to
use and now it's broken

I need another drinking fountain not too many requirments : P

has to have big resoirvour (sp) not too noisey, ease of use, ease of
cleaning & replacing the filters...and the big one PRICE

I'm the US, I saw some great prices but there were on a UK Site

and thanks for info on feliway ..I have some & forgot abt it

they love to drink out of the tolet...and I'm concerned about their
safety

mind you the day I clean toilet I don't them drink from it for 24
hrs..but w/my guys the will clunk the lid up & down and will strach
the door to bathroom

I rent & she hates cats but has to let me have them under HUD, just
give her reason...

thank you all so much everybody here has been so friendly and helpful

Lynn

I worry that the person who thought up Muzak may be thinking up
something else.
~Lily Tomlin

Elizabeth Blake[_2_]
October 27th 07, 05:31 AM
"ensoul" > wrote in message
ps.com...
>I used to have Drinkwell but ran into a problem replaing the filters I
> ended up giving to my daughter & her family

I have a Drinkwell and have ordered filters online. One time I ordered them
and the package said they were aquarium filters, but they were the exact
same size/shape as the official Drinkwell filters. So you might want to
consider getting another Drinkwell and looking for aquarium filters as
replacements. Check your local pet store first.

I used to have a Petsmart (I think?) and didn't like it. The reservoir was
very small and my cats prefer the free-falling water stream of the Drinkwell
rather than the other one where the water ran down the ramp.

--
Liz

Wendy
October 27th 07, 12:30 PM
"ensoul" > wrote in message
ps.com...
>I used to have Drinkwell but ran into a problem replaing the filters I
> ended up giving to my daughter & her family
>
> I got one with a dome, had excellent ratings but it was such a pain to
> use and now it's broken
>
> I need another drinking fountain not too many requirments : P
>
> has to have big resoirvour (sp) not too noisey, ease of use, ease of
> cleaning & replacing the filters...and the big one PRICE
>
> I'm the US, I saw some great prices but there were on a UK Site
>
> and thanks for info on feliway ..I have some & forgot abt it
>
> they love to drink out of the tolet...and I'm concerned about their
> safety
>
> mind you the day I clean toilet I don't them drink from it for 24
> hrs..but w/my guys the will clunk the lid up & down and will strach
> the door to bathroom
>
> I rent & she hates cats but has to let me have them under HUD, just
> give her reason...
>
> thank you all so much everybody here has been so friendly and helpful
>
> Lynn
>

> I worry that the person who thought up Muzak may be thinking up
> something else.
> ~Lily Tomlin

Why do you think your fountain is broken? It might just need a good
cleaning. I have a Petmate and right after my husband died it stopped
working. I thought I had burned up the motor because I had forgotten to fill
the reservoir and went online to see about replacing it. I found
instructions on cleaning it and tried that first and it's been working
since. I think we had it for a year or so and the pump hadn't been taken
apart and rinsed out. It builds up a yucky slime in there that eventually
obstructs the flow of water. I take it apart and rinse it out every time I
break down the fountain for a good cleaning now (probably about once a
month) and have had no further problems. I like it because it is quite.
There is no pump noise and because of the ramp that someone else didn't care
for, I don't have running water sounds that would probably drive me crazy
(or to the bathroom frequently)

Wendy

jmagerl[_2_]
October 27th 07, 02:55 PM
Can you provide a link to your "aquarium" filters. I find the drinkwell
filters too expensive.

A tip: I find it very difficult to remove the motor so I can put the bowl in
the dishwasher. So I took a strip of electrical tape annd wrapped it around
the motor body to form a pull tap. Pulling the tab rotates the motor enough
for me to get a finger under it.

"Elizabeth Blake" > wrote in message
> "ensoul" > wrote in message
> ps.com...
>>I used to have Drinkwell but ran into a problem replaing the filters I
>> ended up giving to my daughter & her family
>
> I have a Drinkwell and have ordered filters online. One time I ordered
> them and the package said they were aquarium filters, but they were the
> exact same size/shape as the official Drinkwell filters. So you might
> want to consider getting another Drinkwell and looking for aquarium
> filters as replacements. Check your local pet store first.
>
> I used to have a Petsmart (I think?) and didn't like it. The reservoir
> was very small and my cats prefer the free-falling water stream of the
> Drinkwell rather than the other one where the water ran down the ramp.
>
> --
> Liz

ANTHONY DIODATI
October 29th 07, 01:03 AM
let the bathroom sink run just a trickle,
cleopatra she loves it.
Tony
"ensoul" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> I used to have Drinkwell but ran into a problem replaing the filters I
> ended up giving to my daughter & her family
>
> I got one with a dome, had excellent ratings but it was such a pain to
> use and now it's broken
>
> I need another drinking fountain not too many requirments : P
>
> has to have big resoirvour (sp) not too noisey, ease of use, ease of
> cleaning & replacing the filters...and the big one PRICE
>
> I'm the US, I saw some great prices but there were on a UK Site
>
> and thanks for info on feliway ..I have some & forgot abt it
>
> they love to drink out of the tolet...and I'm concerned about their
> safety
>
> mind you the day I clean toilet I don't them drink from it for 24
> hrs..but w/my guys the will clunk the lid up & down and will strach
> the door to bathroom
>
> I rent & she hates cats but has to let me have them under HUD, just
> give her reason...
>
> thank you all so much everybody here has been so friendly and helpful
>
> Lynn
>

> I worry that the person who thought up Muzak may be thinking up
> something else.
> ~Lily Tomlin

ensoul
October 29th 07, 01:30 AM
On Oct 28, 8:03?pm, "ANTHONY DIODATI" >
wrote:
> let the bathroom sink run just a trickle,
> cleopatra she loves it.
> Tony"ensoul" > wrote in message
>
> ps.com...
>

> > I used to have Drinkwell but ran into a problem replaing the filters I
> > ended up giving to my daughter & her family
>
> > I got one with a dome, had excellent ratings but it was such a pain to
> > use and now it's broken
>
> > I need another drinking fountain not too many requirments : P
>
> > has to have big resoirvour (sp) not too noisey, ease of use, ease of
> > cleaning & replacing the filters...and the big one PRICE
>
> > I'm the US, I saw some great prices but there were on a UK Site
>
> > and thanks for info on feliway ..I have some & forgot abt it
>
> > they love to drink out of the tolet...and I'm concerned about their
> > safety
>
> > mind you the day I clean toilet I don't them drink from it for 24
> > hrs..but w/my guys the will clunk the lid up & down and will strach
> > the door to bathroom
>
> > I rent & she hates cats but has to let me have them under HUD, just
> > give her reason...
>
> > thank you all so much everybody here has been so friendly and helpful
>
> > Lynn
>
> > I worry that the person who thought up Muzak may be thinking up
> > something else.
> > ~Lily Tomlin- Hide quoted text -

can't let the sink run because of mang. I live in low income housing
and the office B.... and I don't use that word lightly, would have a
fit...they go into apartments unannouced and when your not home

the drinkwell I gave to my daughter...it's the dome one that's borken
and was such a pain to use, I know it's broken because when you plug
it in nothing happens and yes I checed all they plug ins and cleaned it

October 29th 07, 01:48 AM
In article . com>,
says...
> On Oct 28, 8:03?pm, "ANTHONY DIODATI" >
> wrote:
> > let the bathroom sink run just a trickle,
> > cleopatra she loves it.
> > Tony"ensoul" > wrote in message
> >
> > ps.com...
> >

> > > I used to have Drinkwell but ran into a problem replaing the filters I
> > > ended up giving to my daughter & her family
> >
> > > I got one with a dome, had excellent ratings but it was such a pain to
> > > use and now it's broken
> >
> > > I need another drinking fountain not too many requirments : P
> >
> > > has to have big resoirvour (sp) not too noisey, ease of use, ease of
> > > cleaning & replacing the filters...and the big one PRICE
> >
> > > I'm the US, I saw some great prices but there were on a UK Site
> >
> > > and thanks for info on feliway ..I have some & forgot abt it
> >
> > > they love to drink out of the tolet...and I'm concerned about their
> > > safety
> >
> > > mind you the day I clean toilet I don't them drink from it for 24
> > > hrs..but w/my guys the will clunk the lid up & down and will strach
> > > the door to bathroom
> >
> > > I rent & she hates cats but has to let me have them under HUD, just
> > > give her reason...
> >
> > > thank you all so much everybody here has been so friendly and helpful
> >
> > > Lynn
> >
> > > I worry that the person who thought up Muzak may be thinking up
> > > something else.
> > > ~Lily Tomlin- Hide quoted text -

> can't let the sink run because of mang. I live in low income housing
> and the office B.... and I don't use that word lightly, would have a
> fit...they go into apartments unannouced and when your not home
>
> the drinkwell I gave to my daughter...it's the dome one that's borken
> and was such a pain to use, I know it's broken because when you plug
> it in nothing happens and yes I checed all they plug ins and cleaned it

Ah, I know what causes that. Behind all of these fountains is nothing
but a fish tank pump. They got clogged with cat hear and other gunk but
they're very easy to disassemble and clean out.

Wendy
October 29th 07, 09:21 PM
"T" > wrote in message
. ..
> In article . com>,
> says...
>
> Ah, I know what causes that. Behind all of these fountains is nothing
> but a fish tank pump. They got clogged with cat hear and other gunk but
> they're very easy to disassemble and clean out.

I found the instructions for disassembling the pump and cleaning it out on
the manufacturers site. I was actually rather impressed with the Mfg. as I
had clicked on the button to purchase a replacement pump and a message came
up to clean out the pump and try it before spending the money on a new one
with the link to detailed instructions on how to accomplish this.

Wendy

October 29th 07, 10:41 PM
In article >,
says...

> "T" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > In article . com>,
> > says...
> >
> > Ah, I know what causes that. Behind all of these fountains is nothing
> > but a fish tank pump. They got clogged with cat hear and other gunk but
> > they're very easy to disassemble and clean out.
> >

> I found the instructions for disassembling the pump and cleaning it out on
> the manufacturers site. I was actually rather impressed with the Mfg. as I
> had clicked on the button to purchase a replacement pump and a message came
> up to clean out the pump and try it before spending the money on a new one
> with the link to detailed instructions on how to accomplish this.
>
> Wendy

How nice of the manufacturer. I need to replace the pump on the water
system I've got. The problem is, try finding it.

CatNipped[_2_]
October 30th 07, 05:50 PM
"Elizabeth Blake" > wrote in message
> "ensoul" > wrote in message
> ps.com...
>>I used to have Drinkwell but ran into a problem replaing the filters I
>> ended up giving to my daughter & her family
>
> I have a Drinkwell and have ordered filters online. One time I ordered
> them and the package said they were aquarium filters, but they were the
> exact same size/shape as the official Drinkwell filters. So you might
> want to consider getting another Drinkwell and looking for aquarium
> filters as replacements. Check your local pet store first.
>
> I used to have a Petsmart (I think?) and didn't like it. The reservoir
> was very small and my cats prefer the free-falling water stream of the
> Drinkwell rather than the other one where the water ran down the ramp.

"Petmate" - and yeah, my cats like the free-falling stream of water (none of
them drink form the bowl, they all lap at the falling stream of water. I
wish I could afford the Drinkwell "Platinum" - my Drinkwell is about to give
up the ghost (I have to take the water reservoir off so I can "spin start"
the motor). I can't talk DH into shelling out the $65 though.

Hugs,

CatNipped