PDA

View Full Version : Corona Virus (FIP)

Sheelagh>o
October 30th 07, 05:05 PM
I have just had some results for a cat we took to the vets just over a
week ago, to say that one of the cats we took in has corona virus. I
have done a quick search on this subject, & it all seems very gloom &
doom. From what I understand, corona virus is extremely contagious,
but FIP, isn't. Is this correct? Also, what measures can I take other
than extreme care between handling, to help myself & the cat
concerned. Has anyone else been through this, & what were their
experiences. Also, if anyone has anything ( none of our cats are
affected, yet) to contribute to this, I would love to hear from you to
please?
TIA',
Sheelagh>"o"<

Wendy
October 31st 07, 12:15 AM
Is the cat showing any symptoms? If not why did you have it tested?

From what I understand 85% of all cats can test positive for the corona
virus at some point in their lives and the vast majority go on to live
perfectly normal, healthy lives. If you have a relatively small population
of cats they can clear the virus with no exceptional steps being taken by
you aside from frequent scooping of litter boxes.

http://www.dr-addie.com/PreventionS1.htm

Wendy

"Sheelagh>o<" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have just had some results for a cat we took to the vets just over a
> week ago, to say that one of the cats we took in has corona virus. I
> have done a quick search on this subject, & it all seems very gloom &
> doom. From what I understand, corona virus is extremely contagious,
> but FIP, isn't. Is this correct? Also, what measures can I take other
> than extreme care between handling, to help myself & the cat
> concerned. Has anyone else been through this, & what were their
> experiences. Also, if anyone has anything ( none of our cats are
> affected, yet) to contribute to this, I would love to hear from you to
> please?
> TIA',
> Sheelagh>"o"<

Wendy
October 31st 07, 10:23 AM
"Sheelagh>o<" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have just had some results for a cat we took to the vets just over a
> week ago, to say that one of the cats we took in has corona virus. I
> have done a quick search on this subject, & it all seems very gloom &
> doom. From what I understand, corona virus is extremely contagious,
> but FIP, isn't. Is this correct? Also, what measures can I take other
> than extreme care between handling, to help myself & the cat
> concerned. Has anyone else been through this, & what were their
> experiences. Also, if anyone has anything ( none of our cats are
> affected, yet) to contribute to this, I would love to hear from you to
> please?
> TIA',
> Sheelagh>"o"<

Re: is FIP contagious? NO. Each cat who ends up with the FIP mutation must
'manufacture' their own. There also is not test that will detect the FIP
mutation. The tests all will tell you if the cat is positive for FCoV but
not the specific mutation that causes FIP.

Wendy

Sheelagh>o
October 31st 07, 06:07 PM
On 31 Oct, 00:15, "Wendy" > wrote:
> Is the cat showing any symptoms? If not why did you have it tested?
>
> From what I understand 85% of all cats can test positive for the corona
> virus at some point in their lives and the vast majority go on to live
> perfectly normal, healthy lives. If you have a relatively small population
> of cats they can clear the virus with no exceptional steps being taken by
> you aside from frequent scooping of litter boxes.
>
> http://www.dr-addie.com/PreventionS1.htm
>
> Wendy
>
> "Sheelagh>o<" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> >I have just had some results for a cat we took to the vets just over a
> > week ago, to say that one of the cats we took in has corona virus. I
> > have done a quick search on this subject, & it all seems very gloom &
> > doom. From what I understand, corona virus is extremely contagious,
> > but FIP, isn't. Is this correct? Also, what measures can I take other
> > than extreme care between handling, to help myself & the cat
> > concerned. Has anyone else been through this, & what were their
> > experiences. Also, if anyone has anything ( none of our cats are
> > affected, yet) to contribute to this, I would love to hear from you to
> > please?
> > TIA',
> > Sheelagh>"o"<- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for replying Wendy. Yes, He was showing what I thought were
classic symptoms of CornaVirus. He had become lethargic, was
experiencing weight loss, his little belly was swelling, & as I had
just treated him for worms, I disclosed that. Initially, I thought it
might possibly be a problem with a cataract, but the vet excluded that
one as well. His personality was a little off, but nothing specific,
so I decided to take him in to see what they could find. Just over a
week later, I got the result back telling me that it was cornea virus.
To be honest, it frightened the socks off me, but now that I have had
a bit of time to absorb this news, it isn't as bad as I thought it
might be. Thanks for the links too Wendy, they were very informative &
helpful too.

It looks like it is a matter of good hygiene & completely separate
litter boxes which are to be cleared every single time I notice it has
been used. Thanks again,

Sheelagh >"o"<

Sheelagh>o
October 31st 07, 06:33 PM

On 31 Oct, 02:53, "Matthew" > wrote:
> I am sorry the furball is going thru this. I was wonder where you
> disappeared to
It's just bad luck. The cat in question is a skinny little tabby cat.
He has been looking a little rough for a week or so before I picked
him up & decided to take him to the vets. ( stray we think). He has
been back up there today, & they have kept him in for a few more tests
The reason you haven't seen e around is because my hotmail account was
hacked & I got locked out of it, so I have no email addresses to be
able to access them to let everyone know that this is what happened.

Look @ my old email address, & replace the _ with a -& you have my
email address again. Same provider, much stronger password this time.
Very inconvenient, but my own fault for not keeping a copy of my
contacts on the hard drive. Still, the damage is done now. I am trying
to get it reinstated again now, but whether they will or not is
another question. I would have let you know sooner, but I couldn't
remember your email address. I tried to let you know, but I must have
got it wrong because it bounced back @ me again....
Speak soon,
sheelagh >"o"<

Wendy
October 31st 07, 08:31 PM

> Thanks for replying Wendy. Yes, He was showing what I thought were
> classic symptoms of CornaVirus. He had become lethargic, was
> experiencing weight loss, his little belly was swelling, & as I had
> just treated him for worms, I disclosed that. Initially, I thought it
> might possibly be a problem with a cataract, but the vet excluded that
> one as well. His personality was a little off, but nothing specific,
> so I decided to take him in to see what they could find. Just over a
> week later, I got the result back telling me that it was cornea virus.
> To be honest, it frightened the socks off me, but now that I have had
> a bit of time to absorb this news, it isn't as bad as I thought it
> might be. Thanks for the links too Wendy, they were very informative &
> helpful too.
>
> It looks like it is a matter of good hygiene & completely separate
> litter boxes which are to be cleared every single time I notice it has
> been used. Thanks again,
>
> Sheelagh >"o"<

The positive titre for corona doesn't indicate that the cat has FIP only
that it's corona positive. Look on the site I sent you for the combination
of blood work results that are a more reliable diagnostic tool than a corona
test alone. If you are convinced that you are dealing with FIP then the
outlook isn't good. I have yet to hear of a cat with FIP ultimately make it.
Last I heard there isn't any effective treatment for it. Just make sure
that's what you're dealing with before you throw in the towel. Some vets
will call anything they can't diagnose easily FIP whether it is or not.

Hope your kitty has something else.

Wendy

Sheelagh>o
October 31st 07, 10:07 PM
On 31 Oct, 20:31, "Wendy" > wrote:

> > Thanks for replying Wendy. Yes, He was showing what I thought were
> > classic symptoms of CornaVirus. He had become lethargic, was
> > experiencing weight loss, his little belly was swelling, & as I had
> > just treated him for worms, I disclosed that. Initially, I thought it
> > might possibly be a problem with a cataract, but the vet excluded that
> > one as well. His personality was a little off, but nothing specific,
> > so I decided to take him in to see what they could find. Just over a
> > week later, I got the result back telling me that it was cornea virus.
> > To be honest, it frightened the socks off me, but now that I have had
> > a bit of time to absorb this news, it isn't as bad as I thought it
> > might be. Thanks for the links too Wendy, they were very informative &
> > helpful too.
>
> > It looks like it is a matter of good hygiene & completely separate
> > litter boxes which are to be cleared every single time I notice it has
> > been used. Thanks again,
>
> > Sheelagh >"o"<
>
> The positive titre for corona doesn't indicate that the cat has FIP only
> that it's corona positive. Look on the site I sent you for the combination
> of blood work results that are a more reliable diagnostic tool than a corona
> test alone. If you are convinced that you are dealing with FIP then the
> outlook isn't good. I have yet to hear of a cat with FIP ultimately make it.
> Last I heard there isn't any effective treatment for it. Just make sure
> that's what you're dealing with before you throw in the towel. Some vets
> will call anything they can't diagnose easily FIP whether it is or not.
>
> Hope your kitty has something else.
>
> Wendy- Hide quoted text -

> The positive titre for corona doesn't indicate that the cat has FIP only
> that it's corona positive. Look on the site I sent you for the combination
> of blood work results that are a more reliable diagnostic tool than a corona
> test alone. If you are convinced that you are dealing with FIP then the
> outlook isn't good. I have yet to hear of a cat with FIP ultimately make it.
> Last I heard there isn't any effective treatment for it. Just make sure
> that's what you're dealing with before you throw in the towel. Some vets
> will call anything they can't diagnose easily FIP whether it is or not

I have read the page that you sent me & it did make it clear that most
cats test possitive for Coronavirus @ some point in their lives, but
that not all cats go on to develop the full blown FIP. So far, all we
have is a possitive result for Corona virus. I'm trying hard not to
convince myself that he will have the mutation that results into FIP,
but staying optimistic as possible that we won't get a full blown
FIP.

The main reason that he was kept in, was because he was dehydrated &
not eating, & as they needed to do some more blood work, we felt it
was best to leave him there. He really did look quite poorly.
Sometimes I wonder how long he has been feeling this way. Cats
instinctively try to hide any illness because it is like announcing
they are weak. He had been looking ropey for about a 5 days, & when I
noticed that his water bowl was continuously undrunk from, I took him
straight down there. a dry litter box, uneaten food & a full water
bowl are never good signs, are they?

As far as I know, we are bringing him home tomorrow- Unless the
bloods show that he has something that we are running a loosing battle
against. I trust this vet's integrity, & I know he will do what is
best for the cat, rather than what is best for me. It doesn't look
very promising though. I have never seen such a scrawny little fellow
before. He look like an adult cat, but the size of a 4 month old
kitten.
I will keep you updated with news when we have some. Thanks again
Wendy,
Sheelagh >"o"<

Paul M. Cook
October 31st 07, 10:10 PM
"Sheelagh>o<" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I have just had some results for a cat we took to the vets just over a
> week ago, to say that one of the cats we took in has corona virus. I
> have done a quick search on this subject, & it all seems very gloom &
> doom. From what I understand, corona virus is extremely contagious,
> but FIP, isn't. Is this correct? Also, what measures can I take other
> than extreme care between handling, to help myself & the cat
> concerned. Has anyone else been through this, & what were their
> experiences. Also, if anyone has anything ( none of our cats are
> affected, yet) to contribute to this, I would love to hear from you to
> please?
> TIA',
> Sheelagh>"o"<

Buddy was diagnosed FIP positive in early 04 via the Western Blot test. He
lived until last week with no symptoms at all nor were the other cats in
danger of contracting it. All his blood work since the diagnosis was fine.
Corona virii are crazy things and scientists do not fully understand them.
I do know that to be exposed to a CV is not to mean the cat has it active or
ever will have it become active. There is no need to do anything. If your
cats get along well and they do not exchange saliva through bites, you have
little to worry about.

Paul

Wendy
October 31st 07, 11:53 PM
"Sheelagh>o<" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> [...]
> instinctively try to hide any illness because it is like announcing
> they are weak. He had been looking ropey for about a 5 days, & when I
> noticed that his water bowl was continuously undrunk from, I took him
> straight down there. a dry litter box, uneaten food & a full water
> bowl are never good signs, are they?
>
> As far as I know, we are bringing him home tomorrow- Unless the
> bloods show that he has something that we are running a loosing battle
> against. I trust this vet's integrity, & I know he will do what is
> best for the cat, rather than what is best for me. It doesn't look
> very promising though. I have never seen such a scrawny little fellow
> before. He look like an adult cat, but the size of a 4 month old
> kitten.
> I will keep you updated with news when we have some. Thanks again

Here's the page that I was talking about. It gives the combination of
symptoms and test results to look for.

http://www.dr-addie.com/WhatIsFIP.htm#Diagnosis%20of%20FIP

Sheelagh>o
November 1st 07, 01:58 AM
On 31 Oct, 23:53, "Wendy" > wrote:
> [...]
> > noticed that his water bowl was continuously undrunk from, I took him
> > straight down there. a dry litter box, uneaten food & a full water
> > bowl are never good signs, are they?
>
> > As far as I know, we are bringing him home tomorrow- Unless the
> > bloods show that he has something that we are running a loosing battle
> > against. I trust this vet's integrity, & I know he will do what is
> > best for the cat, rather than what is best for me. It doesn't look
> > very promising though. I have never seen such a scrawny little fellow
> > before. He look like an adult cat, but the size of a 4 month old
> > kitten.
> > I will keep you updated with news when we have some. Thanks again
> > Wendy,
> > Sheelagh >"o"<
>
> Here's the page that I was talking about. It gives the combination of

Once more I am indebted to you. You really have pulled the cat out of
the bag on this one ( no pun intended).
All of these sites have been a wealth of information. I never knew
there was that much to know. Another day, another thing learned!
Thanks you Wendy,
Sheelagh >"o"<

Sheelagh>o
November 1st 07, 02:31 AM
On 31 Oct, 22:10, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> "Sheelagh>o<" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> > I have just had some results for a cat we took to the vets just over a
> > week ago, to say that one of the cats we took in has corona virus. I
> > have done a quick search on this subject, & it all seems very gloom &
> > doom. From what I understand, corona virus is extremely contagious,
> > but FIP, isn't. Is this correct? Also, what measures can I take other
> > than extreme care between handling, to help myself & the cat
> > concerned. Has anyone else been through this, & what were their
> > experiences. Also, if anyone has anything ( none of our cats are
> > affected, yet) to contribute to this, I would love to hear from you to
> > please?
> > TIA',
> > Sheelagh>"o"<
>
> Buddy was diagnosed FIP positive in early 04 via the Western Blot test. He
> lived until last week with no symptoms at all nor were the other cats in
> danger of contracting it. All his blood work since the diagnosis was fine.
> Corona virii are crazy things and scientists do not fully understand them.
> I do know that to be exposed to a CV is not to mean the cat has it active or
> ever will have it become active. There is no need to do anything. If your
> cats get along well and they do not exchange saliva through bites, you have
> little to worry about.
>
> Paul

I responded to Buddy's passing @ the time. I'm so sorry that you lost
your beloved soldier. He was one of those cats that lives to inspire,
love unconditionally & was always there when you needed him. Life must
be strange without him. Time will heal, where mother nature is cruel;
she has to be sometimes

I feel greatly inspired by Buddies story. I googled him & learnt about
Zipper too when you explained that Buddy had exactly what we are
talking about. It is always good to hear every ones view point on
something when you are trying to learn about something,.. "Fast"!!
I am obviously delighted to hear that it had no knock on effect to the
rest of your cats. That is my ultimate fear I think. I am very
concerned about the kitty we are discussing- But to find out that the
whole feline family are possibly in dire straits would be quite
something else....I couldn't bare the thought of loosing them all,
that's for sure. I am hoping that we can get this kitty in good enough
shape to be able to home him again. now that is the dream- All we need
to do, is get there....

Thank you for your thoughts. They are appreciated very much. I needed
to hear some good news & you gave it!
Sheelagh >"o"<

Paul M. Cook[_2_]
November 1st 07, 04:21 AM
"Sheelagh>o<" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On 31 Oct, 22:10, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
>> "Sheelagh>o<" > wrote in message
>>
>> oups.com...
>>
>> > I have just had some results for a cat we took to the vets just over a
>> > week ago, to say that one of the cats we took in has corona virus. I
>> > have done a quick search on this subject, & it all seems very gloom &
>> > doom. From what I understand, corona virus is extremely contagious,
>> > but FIP, isn't. Is this correct? Also, what measures can I take other
>> > than extreme care between handling, to help myself & the cat
>> > concerned. Has anyone else been through this, & what were their
>> > experiences. Also, if anyone has anything ( none of our cats are
>> > affected, yet) to contribute to this, I would love to hear from you to
>> > please?
>> > TIA',
>> > Sheelagh>"o"<
>>
>> Buddy was diagnosed FIP positive in early 04 via the Western Blot test.
>> He
>> lived until last week with no symptoms at all nor were the other cats in
>> danger of contracting it. All his blood work since the diagnosis was
>> fine.
>> Corona virii are crazy things and scientists do not fully understand
>> them.
>> I do know that to be exposed to a CV is not to mean the cat has it active
>> or
>> ever will have it become active. There is no need to do anything. If
>> your
>> cats get along well and they do not exchange saliva through bites, you
>> have
>> little to worry about.
>>
>> Paul
>
> I responded to Buddy's passing @ the time. I'm so sorry that you lost
> your beloved soldier. He was one of those cats that lives to inspire,
> love unconditionally & was always there when you needed him. Life must
> be strange without him. Time will heal, where mother nature is cruel;
> she has to be sometimes

Your kind words are very much appreciated. Yes, life without Buddy is
proving hard, harder than I had anticipated. What he brought into my life I
cannot explain and his absence is something I will be dealing with for a
long time to come. I can only describe his personality as noble, a cat that
had lived many lives and learned the wisdom of the ages. He extended it to
humans and to his fellow cats. I know my neurotic and insecure cat, M'Tazz,
who I got one year after Buddy, would not be the animal he is now without
Buddy's guiding paws. And as for mother nature, though I respect her,
sometimes she can just bite me.

> I feel greatly inspired by Buddies story. I googled him & learnt about
> Zipper too when you explained that Buddy had exactly what we are
> talking about. It is always good to hear every ones view point on
> something when you are trying to learn about something,.. "Fast"!!
> I am obviously delighted to hear that it had no knock on effect to the
> rest of your cats. That is my ultimate fear I think. I am very
> concerned about the kitty we are discussing- But to find out that the
> whole feline family are possibly in dire straits would be quite
> something else....I couldn't bare the thought of loosing them all,
> that's for sure. I am hoping that we can get this kitty in good enough
> shape to be able to home him again. now that is the dream- All we need
> to do, is get there....

Focus on total health. Feed your cats foods rich in antioxidants and omega
fish oils. Focus on immune system health, especially. Research immune
system holistic treatments such as accupuncture. Find the best foods for
them, Wellness brand was often the recommended food for immune system health
when I posted questions. Keep the cats strong from very deep within. I was
so lucky Buddy liked a premium food that while not ideal, was so much better
for him than any of the other brands. For watever reason he didn't like
Wellness. But he liked one called APD Advanced Pet Diet. Not a perfect
blend, but again, far superior to store stuff.

> Thank you for your thoughts. They are appreciated very much. I needed
> to hear some good news & you gave it!

There is so much you can do. And the best part is the cats won't even know
you are doing a thing. That's the best way to help; you know you are doing
it right when they don't suspect a thing.

The best of luck to you. You have good reason for optimism.

Paul

Sheelagh>o
November 4th 07, 07:19 PM
On 1 Nov, 04:21, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> [...]
> system holistic treatments such as acupuncture. Find the best foods for
> them, Wellness brand was often the recommended food for immune system health
> when I posted questions. Keep the cats strong from very deep within. I was
> so lucky Buddy liked a premium food that while not ideal, was so much better
> for him than any of the other brands. For watever reason he didn't like
> Wellness. But he liked one called APD Advanced Pet Diet. Not a perfect
> blend, but again, far superior to store stuff.
>
> > Thank you for your thoughts. They are appreciated very much. I needed
> > to hear some good news & you gave it!
>
> There is so much you can do. And the best part is the cats won't even know
> you are doing a thing. That's the best way to help; you know you are doing
> it right when they don't suspect a thing.
>
> The best of luck to you. You have good reason for optimism.

Unfortunately, the little fellow didn't last. In the end, he died a
day later. It was absolutely dreadful. After posting that day. On the
2nd of November. I got a call at around 3 in the morning telling us
that he had just passed away.

The surgery called back again in the later morning to ask if I wanted
to go ahead with a post mortem to see what the real reason was- But I
decided not to go ahead with it. If I thought it would have made a
difference, then I probably would have had it done- But it didn't so I
passed on that.

I wish that I had noticed a little sooner & brought him in earlier.
Unfortunately, cats tend to hide the fact that they have something
wrong, so I probably never would have known there was something wrong
until it was too late anyway.
It doesn't help knowing that he wasn't my cat either:o( I still feel
guilty about it all the same)

This subject has something that has piqued my interest. I intend to
read up as much as I can regarding corona Virus, & FIP. It seems a
much ill diagnosed problem in most cases, & I'd like to find out why
that is?

Thanks for responding though. I would have let you know sooner, but we
have had a few teething problems after moving the PC. I couldn't
reconnect it properly & had to get someone in to do it...I just wish I
could have done something to alleviate his misery & stress.... Mother
Nature can be damned merciless @ times, or that is how it feels! They
also say that everything happens for a reason too. I would just like
to think that he is no longer in any pain, & happy with others on the
other side of the Rainbow Bridge.

Sheelagh >"o"<

-Lost
November 12th 07, 01:04 PM
Response to "Sheelagh>o<" >:

> The surgery called back again in the later morning to ask if I
> wanted to go ahead with a post mortem to see what the real reason
> was- But I decided not to go ahead with it. If I thought it would
> have made a difference, then I probably would have had it done-
> But it didn't so I passed on that.

Sorry to bring back up a rather dated topic but I seemed to have got
lost in thoughts, animals, school, family, something... not sure
which and forgot to ask this.

I'll just blame your computer problems for me not noticing your were
back until now. ; )

Did the vet ever figure out what was wrong then? They only thought
it was corona and not FIP?

And I take it they were going to charge for the post-mortem
examination? If so, that's crappy. If I was a vet who wasn't smart
enough to deduce what the hell was wrong I'd do it anyway and report
every statistical finding I could on the matter.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.