PDA

View Full Version : Mulch and dangers to cats

October 31st 07, 02:47 AM
I just built a cat enclosure for my two cats and I want to put pine
mulch down as the flooring. Will the pine bark mulch harm them in
any
way? If it is dangerous, what else would be better for them?
(I don't want to have to keep up with grass inside the enclosure.)

Thanks!

CatNipped[_2_]
October 31st 07, 01:37 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
>I just built a cat enclosure for my two cats and I want to put pine
> mulch down as the flooring. Will the pine bark mulch harm them in
> any
> way? If it is dangerous, what else would be better for them?
> (I don't want to have to keep up with grass inside the enclosure.)

I'd do the same thing I do for a rock garden. Lay down heavy black plastic
(to keep weeks from growing) then lay down about 2 inches of smooth gravel
(large sized rocks will keep it from getting stuck in paws).

Hugs,

CatNipped

> Thanks!

CatNipped[_2_]
October 31st 07, 07:14 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>>I just built a cat enclosure for my two cats and I want to put pine
>> mulch down as the flooring. Will the pine bark mulch harm them in
>> any
>> way? If it is dangerous, what else would be better for them?
>> (I don't want to have to keep up with grass inside the enclosure.)
>
> I'd do the same thing I do for a rock garden. Lay down heavy black
> plastic (to keep weeks from growing) then lay down about 2 inches of
> smooth gravel (large sized rocks will keep it from getting stuck in paws).

OK, I seriously need to get my fingers fixed - I've been doing this all day.
I just sent my boss an email with TWO typos in it (it is ironic that, for
the costume party at work today, I came as a typo).

Hugs,

CatNipped

> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped
>

>> Thanks!

November 1st 07, 01:06 PM
On Oct 30, 10:47 pm, wrote:
> I just built a cat enclosure for my two cats and I want to put pine
> mulch down as the flooring. Will the pine bark mulch harm them in
> any
> way? If it is dangerous, what else would be better for them?
> (I don't want to have to keep up with grass inside the enclosure.)
>
> Thanks!

I have heard that cocoa hull mulch can be toxic to dogs, so I'm
wondering if it might be toxic to cats?