PDA

View Full Version : how can you tell a cat has a fever?

Tara Legale
November 2nd 07, 01:21 AM
Can you tell by there ears being very warm? Or how else? I have this
sense that my cat is feeling a little under the weather. She seems more
tired than usual, not as perky looking.... cat people know when their cat
isn't acting usual. She is eating, drinking water, litterbox as usual. She
just isn't right for the past two days. She did have dental work two weeks
ago including a tooth being pulled. She has been fine though, and like I
said above, she is eating canned and hard food fine. Any thoughts?

Meghan Noecker
November 2nd 07, 02:32 AM
On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 00:21:42 GMT, "Tara Legale"
> wrote:

>Can you tell by there ears being very warm? Or how else? I have this
>sense that my cat is feeling a little under the weather. She seems more
>tired than usual, not as perky looking.... cat people know when their cat
>isn't acting usual. She is eating, drinking water, litterbox as usual. She
>just isn't right for the past two days. She did have dental work two weeks
>ago including a tooth being pulled. She has been fine though, and like I
>said above, she is eating canned and hard food fine. Any thoughts?

I have been aware of ears being warmer when they turned out to have a
fever, but I don't know if it is an accurate observation. The best way
is a rectal thermometer.

More accurate would be the behavior. Go with your gut. If she seems to
be acting lethargic, she probably is. And keep in mind that cats are
known to hide illness, so small hints be all that you will see until
it gets really bad.

She might have an infection as a result of the teeth pulling. Best bet
is to take her in.

Years ago, I had a kitten who seemed active, but wasn't as energetic
as *she* normally was. So, I took her in. Temperature was fine, only
symptom was mild dehydration. But the vet listened to my gut feeling.
He went ahead and prescibed some antibitics even though he suspected a
viral infection. The meds would just prevent any secondary infection.
She improved immediately. The next day I discovered two very infected
bites on her ears, hard to see because her ears were so fluffy. The
antibiotics were exactly what she needed for the infected bites.

Tara Legale
November 2nd 07, 02:36 AM
Anyone know what a normal rectal temperature for a cat would be?

"Meghan Noecker" > wrote in message
> I have been aware of ears being warmer when they turned out to have a
> fever, but I don't know if it is an accurate observation. The best way
> is a rectal thermometer.

Tara Legale
November 2nd 07, 04:49 AM
Right now I am watching her, as I am not THAT concerns since she is eating,
drinking, etc.
Your obvious sarcasm is of no use to me. Perhaps with a normal answer I
could take
her temp and see... you offered nothing. In the meantime I looked up my
answer
on the internet. Thanks for nothing.

"cybercat" > wrote in message
> I bet your VET would know.

cybercat
November 2nd 07, 05:25 AM
"Tara Legale" > wrote in message
> Anyone know what a normal rectal temperature for a cat would be?

I bet your VET would know.

Meghan Noecker
November 2nd 07, 06:18 AM
On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 03:49:48 GMT, "Tara Legale"
> wrote:

>Right now I am watching her, as I am not THAT concerns since she is eating,
>drinking, etc.
>Your obvious sarcasm is of no use to me. Perhaps with a normal answer I
>could take
>her temp and see... you offered nothing. In the meantime I looked up my
>answer
>on the internet. Thanks for nothing.

Vets will answer questions on the phone without charging. I have found
it is really good to call and let them know what I am dealing with,
and they will tell me what to check or whether I should be concerned
or not.

One time, I forgot how to set up a fluid pack, and I needed to use it
at 2am. I called the local 24 hour vet, not the one I got the pack
from, and the lady talked me through it.

Why are people so unwilling to contact a vet when they are unsure of a
health issue? You're willing to trust a stranger on the internet, but
not your own vet?

Paul M. Cook[_2_]
November 2nd 07, 07:12 AM
"Tara Legale" > wrote in message
> Can you tell by there ears being very warm? Or how else? I have this
> sense that my cat is feeling a little under the weather. She seems more
> tired than usual, not as perky looking.... cat people know when their cat
> isn't acting usual. She is eating, drinking water, litterbox as usual.
> She just isn't right for the past two days. She did have dental work two
> weeks ago including a tooth being pulled. She has been fine though, and
> like I said above, she is eating canned and hard food fine. Any thoughts?

Giacomo aka Jack had an abscess on his cheek a couple weeks ago. When I
picked him up to put him in he carrier I noticed he was decidedly warmer
than usual. Plus he was kind of sluggish and acted just like he had a
fever. Turns out he was a bit over 103F.

So they just feel warmer plus they feel like you do when you have a fever,
achy, tired and sluggish.

If food and water are going in the front and coming out the other end, your
cat is not in serious distress but I'd have the vet check her out anyway.
Blood work could be very revealing, especially a white cell count.

Paul

Wendy
November 2nd 07, 12:25 PM
101 - 102

If the temperature is lower or higher, call the vet.

Wendy

"Tara Legale" > wrote in message
> Anyone know what a normal rectal temperature for a cat would be?
>

> "Meghan Noecker" > wrote in message
>> I have been aware of ears being warmer when they turned out to have a
>> fever, but I don't know if it is an accurate observation. The best way
>> is a rectal thermometer.

Rene S.
November 2nd 07, 03:03 PM
On Nov 1, 7:21 pm, "Tara Legale" > wrote:
> Can you tell by there ears being very warm? Or how else? I have this
> sense that my cat is feeling a little under the weather. She seems more
> tired than usual, not as perky looking.... cat people know when their cat
> isn't acting usual. She is eating, drinking water, litterbox as usual. She
> just isn't right for the past two days. She did have dental work two weeks
> ago including a tooth being pulled. She has been fine though, and like I
> said above, she is eating canned and hard food fine. Any thoughts?

The last time my cat had a fever, his ears and paws were warmer and
more pink than usual, and his paw-pads left damp impressions on the
kitchen floor. The biggest sign, though, was that he was lethargic and
sleeping in more secluded locations.

Despite the fact that she's eating, I would call your vet right away
and bring her in. It's possible she has an infection related to the
dental--or something else entirely. If you tell your vet your kitty is
lethargic, I'm they will get her in right away. (At least that's been
my experience.)

Meghan Noecker
November 3rd 07, 08:45 AM
On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 07:50:13 -0500, Galloping Clippers
> wrote:

>Meghan Noecker wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 03:49:48 GMT, "Tara Legale"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>Right now I am watching her, as I am not THAT concerns since she is eating,
>>>drinking, etc.
>>>Your obvious sarcasm is of no use to me. Perhaps with a normal answer I
>>>could take
>>>her temp and see... you offered nothing. In the meantime I looked up my
>>>answer
>>>on the internet. Thanks for nothing.
>>

>> Vets will answer questions on the phone without charging.
>
>Not all of them.

So find one that does. No reason you have to call the closest vet.

If I have an emergency, I'm not going to sit online and wait for an
answer that may or may not be accurate. I call the vet.

Tara Legale
November 4th 07, 02:21 AM
And besides, I wrote Usenet at night when no vets would be open. And no.
Vets will not answer questions over the phone. I called my vet the next
morning and they said to keep an eye on her and if she gets worse bring her
in (an hour drive since I live in a rural area). She is better. Not
feeling warm, a little more "alert" looking. She is eating and drinking a
little less than normal, however when she was on antibiotics for two weeks
her hunger and thirst increased dramatically. Maybe this is just her new
"norm" since having her absessed tooth pulled. I will still monitor her and
go from there.

"Galloping Clippers" > wrote in message
> You're serious? It's easier to find a vet that will answer questions on
> the phone (look them up in the yellow pages, dial, wait for an answer, go
> down the list and repeat...) than hop onto Usenet and ask a cat newgroup
> for advice? There is at least one vet who hangs out here and a lot of
> knowledgeable people. And posts show up pretty quickly. I see nothing
> wrong in going that route first.

Meghan Noecker
November 4th 07, 09:00 AM
On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 09:15:59 -0500, Galloping Clippers
> wrote:

>You're serious? It's easier to find a vet that will answer questions
>on the phone (look them up in the yellow pages, dial, wait for an
>answer, go down the list and repeat...) than hop onto Usenet and ask a
>cat newgroup for advice? There is at least one vet who hangs out here
>and a lot of knowledgeable people. And posts show up pretty quickly.
>I see nothing wrong in going that route first.

Yes, I am serious. I have rarely gotten a response with an hour.

And last year when my cat was sick, I got very few responses at all.
Some posts go no responses at all. I was very disappointed by the lack
of response. I was hoping to get some advice in addition to my vet,
and later I wanted to understand better why my cat had died. But the
replies did not come.

I would never count on an online group for an immediate answer.

Why would I want to wait for an unknown number of hours for an answer,
when I can call the vet in less than 5 minutes.

Do you really find it that hard to look up a number? It is easy to
find a number in the phone book or online. It shouldn't take more than
a couple minutes. If you already have a vet, then you shoud have their
number on file anyway.

Meghan Noecker
November 5th 07, 10:40 AM
On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 09:00:00 -0600, Galloping Clippers
> wrote:

>> Yes, I am serious. I have rarely gotten a response with an hour.
>
>Maybe you need a faster connection.
>>
>> And last year when my cat was sick, I got very few responses at all.
>
>Ditto above. Your ISP may not be the best for usenet.

I have highspeed internet. Connection time is not a problem.

The problem is that somebody has to read the question and reply. You
might get lucky and get a reply right away, but there's no gurantee.

>> Some posts go no responses at all. I was very disappointed by the lack
>> of response.
>
>Wow, I never found that at all.

You are very lucky.

I just did a look on yahoo for some of my older posts. See all the
posts with 1 message - 1 author? That means not a single person
replied. Never mind an hour or two. Not a single response ever.
Thankfully, I was just asking for advice and personal experience. I
had already been to the vet many times.

Jul 19 2006 by - 1 message - 1 author
Back to the vet with Kira

Jul 21 2006 by - 1 message - 1 author
Update - Re: Back to the vet with Kira

Jul 23 2006 by - 1 message - 1 author
Anemia?

Aug 2 2006 by - 1 message - 1 author
Treatment questions for anemia, herpes, and stress

On August 3rd, I asked again and mentioned that I hadn't gotten any
One person asked additional info, which I replied with, but I didn't
get any more responses.

Aug 5 2006 by - 1 message - 1 author
Update on Kira, bloodwork is worse, barely eating, any suggestions

Those are ALL of my posts regarding Kira and her Anemia, from her
initial diagnosis until she died. It took me 2 weeks of asking 5 times
before I got my first response.

>I don't think she needed immediate response; just faster than trying
>to find a vet that will answer questions on the phone, which in my
>experience, takes forever if at all.

My vet has always answered questions over the phone.

When Kira started pulling her stitches out after being spayed, I
called th evet number that was on my regular vet's answering machine.
They told me to put ben gay on it to keep her from licking it. The
next day, she had pulled it all out, only 2 days after the surgery. I
called my vet, and he had me look at it while he asked a few
questions. He determined that it was fine and just had me watch it for
redness and swelling. No need to come in.

When Kira was sick last year, he called several times between vet
visits to check on her.

I don't see why a vet would refuse to say what a cat's temperature
should be, which is the question that was asked when I suggested
calling the vet.

>No, not *A* number. Trouble is, one would have to try many numbers to
>find a vet who will answer questions over the phone. And then, yes,
>it's really time consuming.

I have never been refused when I asked a vet a question on the phone.
And this has been with 3 different vets I have called. My regular vet
as well as 2 overnight vets.

>Well, duh. The issue here is whether or not any vet will answer
>questions over the phone. Again, the vast majority will not.

I find that hard to believe.

Meghan Noecker
November 6th 07, 09:30 AM
On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 08:49:11 -0600, Galloping Clippers
> wrote:

>Like I said and you snipped - YMMV (Your mileage may vary. In other
>words, goody for you but not everyone is so lucky.)

Did you bother to read my post?

I was saying exactly the same thing, only the opposite venue.

Goody for you that you get a response in less than an hour from this
newsgroup. I had to wait 2 weeks.

Maybe next time you won't be so lucky. How long are you going to wait
before you start calling a vet? As it is, you only need to find the
right vet once, and then use the same phone number when something
comes up. You make it sound like such a huge chore.

I would never leave an important health issue to a newsgroup.

Meghan Noecker
November 7th 07, 03:02 AM
On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 11:48:48 -0600, Galloping Clippers
> wrote:

>Let me guess - reading comprehension was never a stregth of yours.

No worse than yours.

Do you still believe I got such a slow response due to a slow internet
connection? Do you really believe that most people get immediate