PDA

View Full Version : Ideal cat nutriotion


RPSinha
November 2nd 07, 09:13 PM
From <http://www.catnutrition.org/nutrients.php> :

"If you're interested, an adult mouse is roughly 67 percent water, has
a calcium-to-phosphorus ratio of 1.1:1, has 3 percent carbohydrates,
consists of about 57 percent crude protein, and contains 23 percent
fat. (Dry Matter Basis)"

There we have it.

RPSinha
November 2nd 07, 09:31 PM
RPSinha > wrote:

: From <http://www.catnutrition.org/nutrients.php> :
:
: "...an adult mouse is roughly 67 percent water, has...
: 3 percent carbohydrates,
: 57 percent crude protein
: 23 percent fat. (Dry Matter Basis)"

Can somebody convert these dry matter percentages to Kcal basis?

William Graham
November 3rd 07, 03:08 AM
"RPSinha" > wrote in message
...
> From <http://www.catnutrition.org/nutrients.php> :
>
> "If you're interested, an adult mouse is roughly 67 percent water, has
> a calcium-to-phosphorus ratio of 1.1:1, has 3 percent carbohydrates,
> consists of about 57 percent crude protein, and contains 23 percent
> fat. (Dry Matter Basis)"
>
> There we have it.

But cats in the wild eat lots of things besides mice....They eat voles,
gophers, birds and grasshoppers, and pretty near anything that has some
protein in it. If they live near a stream they even get a fish once in a
while.....And the ones that live near me get all the kibbles they want, and
some roasted chicken once in a while.......

studio
November 3rd 07, 02:56 PM
On Nov 2, 10:08 pm, "William Graham" > wrote:
> But cats in the wild eat lots of things besides mice....They eat voles,
> gophers, birds and grasshoppers, and pretty near anything that has some
> protein in it. If they live near a stream they even get a fish once in a
> while.....

How true.
Many cats are big insect eaters.
I would also note: cats in the wild do not typically have long life
spans regardless of how good their nutrition is.

William Graham
November 3rd 07, 09:24 PM
"studio" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Nov 2, 10:08 pm, "William Graham" > wrote:
>> But cats in the wild eat lots of things besides mice....They eat voles,
>> gophers, birds and grasshoppers, and pretty near anything that has some
>> protein in it. If they live near a stream they even get a fish once in a
>> while.....
>
> How true.
> Many cats are big insect eaters.
> I would also note: cats in the wild do not typically have long life
> spans regardless of how good their nutrition is.
>
>
This is very true....We feed a feral male who is at least 7 years
old......They seldom live more than 5 years, but this one does nothing but
sleep and eat, so his "useful" live is long past. He interacts with people
(and the other cats) as little as he can and still expect to get fed.