PDA

View Full Version : cat spraying sofa

Gail[_2_]
November 2nd 07, 10:11 PM
He needs to be seen by a vet to rule out a urinary tract infection. This
must be done firstly.
Gail
> wrote in message
.net...
> How can I convince my (neutered) 15 yar old cat to stop spraying and
> pishing on the sofa? We've got a Feliway diffuser, we've sprayed with
> Feliway, we've washed the cushions, we clean the spots with Dumb Cat, but
> he won't stop. He's smelling up the house.
>

> Alan

> ** Please use address alanh77[at]comcast.net to reply via e-mail. **
>
> Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21
>
> BBS - The Nerve Center Telnet FidoNet 261/1000 tncbbs.no-ip.com

AZ Nomad
November 2nd 07, 10:48 PM
On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 17:52:24 -0500, > wrote:

>How can I convince my (neutered) 15 yar old cat to stop spraying and
>pishing on the sofa? We've got a Feliway diffuser, we've sprayed with
>Feliway, we've washed the cushions, we clean the spots with Dumb Cat, but
>he won't stop. He's smelling up the house.

Step 1: get rid of the sofa. Replace it with leather and kitty will never
be interested it.

November 2nd 07, 10:52 PM
How can I convince my (neutered) 15 yar old cat to stop spraying and
pishing on the sofa? We've got a Feliway diffuser, we've sprayed with
Feliway, we've washed the cushions, we clean the spots with Dumb Cat, but
he won't stop. He's smelling up the house.

Alan

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

AZ Nomad
November 3rd 07, 01:46 AM
On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 18:55:41 -0400, Matthew > wrote:

>"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 17:52:24 -0500,
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>How can I convince my (neutered) 15 yar old cat to stop spraying and
>>>pishing on the sofa? We've got a Feliway diffuser, we've sprayed with
>>>Feliway, we've washed the cushions, we clean the spots with Dumb Cat, but
>>>he won't stop. He's smelling up the house.
>>
>> Step 1: get rid of the sofa. Replace it with leather and kitty will never
>> be interested it.

>Ha leather coach new scratch post

I've never seen a cat that liked scratching leather. The closest thing I've
had to a problem is kitty jumping on a leather couch on the way to a window
sill behind it and leaving lots of little pinprick on a backing/top that was
fake leather.

Cats much prefer cloth. Cloth gives and makes lovely ripping noises when
scratched.

blkcatgal
November 3rd 07, 03:46 AM
I had a vinyl recliner once. Not leather but similar. My cat destroyed the
leg of it using it as a scratching post.

S.

"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 18:55:41 -0400, Matthew >
> wrote:
>

>>"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
>>> On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 17:52:24 -0500,

>>> Step 1: get rid of the sofa. Replace it with leather and kitty will
>>> never
>>> be interested it.
>

>>Ha leather coach new scratch post
>
> I've never seen a cat that liked scratching leather. The closest thing
> I've
> had to a problem is kitty jumping on a leather couch on the way to a
> window
> sill behind it and leaving lots of little pinprick on a backing/top that
> was
> fake leather.
>
> Cats much prefer cloth. Cloth gives and makes lovely ripping noises when
> scratched.

November 3rd 07, 09:06 PM
We want to get new furniture, but I figure it would have to be covered
with plastic slipcovers to protect it from cat claws and urine.

Alan

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

November 3rd 07, 10:07 PM
> wrote in message
.net...
> We want to get new furniture, but I figure it would have to be covered
> with plastic slipcovers to protect it from cat claws and urine.
>

> Alan

Good thinking. You wouldn't want to be bothered training your cat.

Rene S.
November 3rd 07, 11:23 PM
On Nov 2, 5:52?pm, wrote:
> How can I convince my (neutered) 15 yar old cat to stop spraying and
> pishing on the sofa? We've got a Feliway diffuser, we've sprayed with
> Feliway, we've washed the cushions, we clean the spots with Dumb Cat, but
> he won't stop. He's smelling up the house.

Since your cat is elderly, the first thing to do is to take him to the
vet to rule out any medical issues (if you haven't already). If he's
been cleared of any medical problems and it's been diagnosed as a
behavioral issue, have you changed anything in the house lately, such
as:

brand/type of litter?
Change/moving the litter boxes?
Any new household members or pets?
Loss of household members or pets?

First, start with adding another box or two in the house, especially
one near the couch where he is urinating. Make sure he can easily get
in and out of the box. Perhaps he feels pain getting into the box and
the couch seems easier. Make sure the boxes are kept clean.

Clean all areas with an enzymatic cleaner (I'm guessing Dumb Cat is a
brand, though I'm not familiar with it). The cushions too. For now,
cover the couch with thick plastic when you are not using it to make
cleanup easier.

I wish you luck, and please keep us posted.

November 4th 07, 10:53 PM
In m>, on 11/03/07
at 04:23 PM, "Rene S." > said:

>Since your cat is elderly, the first thing to do is to take him to the
>vet to rule out any medical issues (if you haven't already). If he's been
>cleared of any medical problems and it's been diagnosed as a behavioral
>issue, have you changed anything in the house lately, such as:

Vet says he's fine.

>brand/type of litter?
>Change/moving the litter boxes?
>Any new household members or pets?
>Loss of household members or pets?

Nothing's been changed.

>First, start with adding another box or two in the house, especially one
>near the couch where he is urinating. Make sure he can easily get in and
>out of the box. Perhaps he feels pain getting into the box and the couch
>seems easier. Make sure the boxes are kept clean.

>Clean all areas with an enzymatic cleaner (I'm guessing Dumb Cat is a
>brand, though I'm not familiar with it). The cushions too. For now, cover
>the couch with thick plastic when you are not using it to make cleanup
>easier.

We've done that. Dumb Cat is a brand - we got it at Petco. Cleaning the
areas didn't deter him. >I wish you luck, and please keep us posted.

Alan

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

Rene S.
November 5th 07, 03:00 PM
On Nov 4, 4:53 pm, wrote:
> In m>, on 11/03/07
> at 04:23 PM, "Rene S." > said:
>
> >Since your cat is elderly, the first thing to do is to take him to the
> >vet to rule out any medical issues (if you haven't already). If he's been
> >cleared of any medical problems and it's been diagnosed as a behavioral
> >issue, have you changed anything in the house lately, such as:
>
> Vet says he's fine.

another question: Is he urinating (squatting down to pee) or spraying
(backing up against the couch and not squatting)?

ElvisRocks
November 5th 07, 06:16 PM
My cats LOOOOOOOOOOVE to scratch my leather
living room furniture. Now it looks like it's fringe on the sides.
Very chic!

"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 18:55:41 -0400, Matthew >
> wrote:
>

>>"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
>>> On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 17:52:24 -0500,

>>> Step 1: get rid of the sofa. Replace it with leather and kitty will
>>> never
>>> be interested it.
>

>>Ha leather coach new scratch post
>
> I've never seen a cat that liked scratching leather. The closest thing
> I've
> had to a problem is kitty jumping on a leather couch on the way to a
> window
> sill behind it and leaving lots of little pinprick on a backing/top that
> was
> fake leather.
>
> Cats much prefer cloth. Cloth gives and makes lovely ripping noises when
> scratched.

Jean B.
November 5th 07, 07:00 PM
Rene S. wrote:
> On Nov 4, 4:53 pm, wrote:
>> In m>, on 11/03/07
>> at 04:23 PM, "Rene S." > said:
>>
>>> Since your cat is elderly, the first thing to do is to take him to the
>>> vet to rule out any medical issues (if you haven't already). If he's been
>>> cleared of any medical problems and it's been diagnosed as a behavioral
>>> issue, have you changed anything in the house lately, such as:
>> Vet says he's fine.
>
> another question: Is he urinating (squatting down to pee) or spraying
> (backing up against the couch and not squatting)?

Ahhhhhhhhhh. Sorry about butting in, but that question and
differentiation hits me at the per... er, PURRfect time. I
was wondering why Ming's urine has been so high as vs. when he
went in the litter box.... This would seem to further
indicate a behavioral problem, I guess.

--
Jean B.