PDA

View Full Version : hair loss and excessive drooling - really disturbing

kitkat via CatKB.com
November 3rd 07, 09:14 PM
first - I noticed the excessive drooling and a little red spot on my cat's
face weeks ago - he has already gone to the vet as I was worried it was a
tooth abcess - (sp?) - no. according to the vet his teeth are in good shape
and she thought that he has a little cut on his face that got infected and as
a result caused him to drool more. she put him on antibiotics - I thought
everything was fine because the cut healed well soon after that.

However the drooling is still continuing just as much as before. and today I
nearly had a heart attack. We gave our cat a bath - all the drooling was
making him matted down and yucky. When I picked him up to dry him off I
noticed an incredible amount of hair in the tub - and then I looked at his
belly. He has NO hair from his stomach down. I had noticed some cat hair
around the house latey but assumed he was simply scuffling with the other cat.

Obviously I'm getting an appointment for the vet asap...but if it's not his
teeth what could this possibly be? He does groom a little more lately but I
wouldn't say it's obsessive - thus I don't think this is a behavioral thing.

any ideas would be appreciated.

p.s. - he has polycystic kidney disease however he got an ultrasound on his
kidneys in the last month and again the vet said his kidneys looked good. He
also had a thyroid test and urine test at the same visit - both of which were
in the normal range.

Spot
November 4th 07, 12:09 AM
I'd ask for some skin scrappings to see if it's fungal or mite related along
with more extensive blood work..

Celeste

"kitkat via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> first - I noticed the excessive drooling and a little red spot on my cat's
> face weeks ago - he has already gone to the vet as I was worried it was a
> tooth abcess - (sp?) - no. according to the vet his teeth are in good
> shape
> and she thought that he has a little cut on his face that got infected and
> as
> a result caused him to drool more. she put him on antibiotics - I thought
> everything was fine because the cut healed well soon after that.
>
> However the drooling is still continuing just as much as before. and
> today I
> nearly had a heart attack. We gave our cat a bath - all the drooling was
> making him matted down and yucky. When I picked him up to dry him off I
> noticed an incredible amount of hair in the tub - and then I looked at his
> belly. He has NO hair from his stomach down. I had noticed some cat hair
> around the house latey but assumed he was simply scuffling with the other
> cat.
>

> Obviously I'm getting an appointment for the vet asap...but if it's not
> his
> teeth what could this possibly be? He does groom a little more lately but
> wouldn't say it's obsessive - thus I don't think this is a behavioral
> thing.
>
> any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> p.s. - he has polycystic kidney disease however he got an ultrasound on
> his
> kidneys in the last month and again the vet said his kidneys looked good.
> He
> also had a thyroid test and urine test at the same visit - both of which
> were
> in the normal range.

Rene S.
November 4th 07, 12:18 AM
On Nov 3, 3:14?pm, "kitkat via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote:
> first - I noticed the excessive drooling and a little red spot on my cat's
> face weeks ago - he has already gone to the vet as I was worried it was a
> tooth abcess - (sp?) - no. according to the vet his teeth are in good shape
> and she thought that he has a little cut on his face that got infected and as
> a result caused him to drool more. she put him on antibiotics - I thought
> everything was fine because the cut healed well soon after that.
>
> However the drooling is still continuing just as much as before. and today I
> nearly had a heart attack. We gave our cat a bath - all the drooling was
> making him matted down and yucky. When I picked him up to dry him off I
> noticed an incredible amount of hair in the tub - and then I looked at his
> belly. He has NO hair from his stomach down. I had noticed some cat hair
> around the house latey but assumed he was simply scuffling with the other cat.
>
> Obviously I'm getting an appointment for the vet asap...but if it's not his
> teeth what could this possibly be? He does groom a little more lately but I
> wouldn't say it's obsessive - thus I don't think this is a behavioral thing.

Oh, your poor kitty! I would suggest getting copies of all his records
and taking him to another vet for a second opinion. There's something
here that your vet is missing. I'm not sure why the vet would think a
cut would cause drooling (?) so that doesn't make sense to me.

As Celeste suggested, get some skin scrapings done. Also have the vet
look carefully around and in his mouth for abcesses or other
abnormalities that might cause the drooling.

Take note of your cat's habits--how often is he grooming, is he eating
and drinking normally, using the litter box? Any change in daily
habits might give the vet a clue, no matter how small. Cats are
masters at hiding their illnesses.

Finally, I'd suggest not giving him any more baths for a while. I know
you said he was dirty from the drooling, but if he's not feeling well,
a bath might not make him feel too well. You can use a soft cloth
that's been wet to wipe his face/neck area.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

cybercat
November 4th 07, 01:09 AM
"kitkat via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

You need a new vet. Period.