PDA

View Full Version : How much wet food?

MEG
November 8th 07, 07:07 AM
I will attempt a new thread, lets see how I can get flamed for this
question....

We are a dried food family. We have a bowl of dried food (it is some
urinary tract food recommended by the vet) out 24/7. They can eat at
will.

However, I am moving over to adding wet food. I separate the cats
into different rooms, and give them their wet food. They eat it all in
one setting. How much wet food should they be getting a day?

I am thinking I will give them wet food one time a day, and then let
them supplement with the dry food.

If they were just fed wet food, how often should they be getting the
wet food? I am asking because my sick cat will probably just be eating
wet food from here on out.

Thanks, : )

jmc
November 8th 07, 10:58 AM
Suddenly, without warning, MEG exclaimed (11/8/2007 3:37 PM):
> I will attempt a new thread, lets see how I can get flamed for this
> question....
>
> We are a dried food family. We have a bowl of dried food (it is some
> urinary tract food recommended by the vet) out 24/7. They can eat at
> will.
>
> However, I am moving over to adding wet food. I separate the cats
> into different rooms, and give them their wet food. They eat it all in
> one setting. How much wet food should they be getting a day?
>
> I am thinking I will give them wet food one time a day, and then let
> them supplement with the dry food.
>
> If they were just fed wet food, how often should they be getting the
> wet food? I am asking because my sick cat will probably just be eating
> wet food from here on out.
>
> Thanks, : )

Varies by cat. When Meep (who's a cystitis kitty) was on
nearly-free-choice dry (also urinary), she'd get about 1/2 a little can
of wet in the evening.

Now she's on all wet food, she averages about 1.5 of those small cans
per day. Sometimes two. She's approx 10 lbs and 11.5 years old.

jmc

MEG
November 8th 07, 02:52 PM
On Nov 8, 4:58 am, jmc > wrote:
> Suddenly, without warning, MEG exclaimed (11/8/2007 3:37 PM):
>

> > I will attempt a new thread, lets see how I can get flamed for this
> > question....
>
> > We are a dried food family. We have a bowl of dried food (it is some
> > urinary tract food recommended by the vet) out 24/7. They can eat at
> > will.
>
> > However, I am moving over to adding wet food. I separate the cats
> > into different rooms, and give them their wet food. They eat it all in
> > one setting. How much wet food should they be getting a day?
>
> > I am thinking I will give them wet food one time a day, and then let
> > them supplement with the dry food.
>
> > If they were just fed wet food, how often should they be getting the
> > wet food? I am asking because my sick cat will probably just be eating
> > wet food from here on out.
>
> > Thanks, : )
>
> Varies by cat. When Meep (who's a cystitis kitty) was on
> nearly-free-choice dry (also urinary), she'd get about 1/2 a little can
> of wet in the evening.
>
> Now she's on all wet food, she averages about 1.5 of those small cans
> per day. Sometimes two. She's approx 10 lbs and 11.5 years old.
>
> jmc- Hide quoted text -

My 10 year old is 9 pounds, (he is sick and apparently losing
weight and muscle mass). My one year old male weighs 11 pounds, and
then I have a female who is probably 11 pounds or slighty above that.
So none of my cats have weight issues. I think I am going to do the
wet can a day, with the supplementing of dry.

But does feeding them the wet food contribute to the urinary tract
problems? I would not think ash content would be an issue in wet
food.

I just bought some Fancy Fest. My understanding is that is a middle
quality food. I really liked the size of the cans. I did not want to
buy a big can and then have to store it in the refrigerator.

Thanks for your reply.

Phil P.
November 8th 07, 03:35 PM
"MEG" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> But does feeding them the wet food contribute to the urinary tract
> problems? I would not think ash content would be an issue in wet
> food.

Canned food is actually the first line preventative and *treatment* for
feline urinary tract diseases- especially crystalluria, urolithiasis, and
feline interstitial cystitis. Canned food is especially important for male
cats which are more susceptible to urinary tract obstructions than females.

See: http://maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm Dry Food vs Canned Food.
Which is
really better?

How much to feed should be based on your cats' weight, activity level, and
sex status. A moderately active, indoor, neutered cat has a daily energy
requirement (DER) of about 18 kcals/pound.

See:

http://maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm Energy Requirements for Kittens
and Adult Cats

Forget about "ash" - the term is meaningless for practical purposes. It was
an old advertising gimmick that just won't die. Although some components of
ash may be important in the pathogenesis of feline urinary tract diseases,
the term itself does not represent the magnesium content- or the content of
any single component in the diet.

Good luck,

Phil

Rene S.
November 8th 07, 04:19 PM
> If they were just fed wet food, how often should they be getting the
> wet food? I am asking because my sick cat will probably just be eating
> wet food from here on out.

Wet food is best served twice per day, or about every 12 hours. If you
do this, they won't need dry food during the day. Phil's already given
you some information, but I generally follow this guideline: 15
calories/pound/per day for a proper-weight cat. In your sick cat's
case, you can give him more food, since he's going to need the
calories. The amount of food needed can vary, of course, based on
activity levels.

So for instance, your 10 y/o cat would be 9 lb x 15 calories = 135
needed per day
One can of grain-free Wellness (as an example) is approximately 176
calories for the 5.5 oz. can. Your cat would need approximately 3/4
can per day, divided into two servings.

Rene S.
November 8th 07, 08:17 PM