PDA

View Full Version : Gulping?

jmc
November 10th 07, 12:13 PM
I happened to catch Meep "gulping" for the second time in about a week.
The first time, she'd make this stretch-then-pull-back motion with her
head, followed by a sort of sneezy sound (probably a cough). The
episode lasted less than 30 seconds. She's been otherwise fine. Just
now, she did it again, but only the gulping and only for a few seconds.

Last time I saw this gulp-and-sneeze action, it was much more severe,
took her to the emergency vet, and of course by the time we go there
she'd stopped. Vet said her throat was red and irritated, and
speculated that she'd gotten some grass up in her soft pallet.

So why don't I think that's the problem this time? Because she hasn't
been near grass for quite a while. She's still fur-mowing, and I've
took her off Stronghold to see if that's the problem, and thus she's
stuck inside. Hasn't been outside for at least two weeks.

Could she just have a cold? She doesn't seem to have any other symptoms
(eyes are clear, no runny nose, gums OK from what she'll let me see).
She hasn't asked me for hot tea or Vitamin C :)

Anyway, assuming this is just a sore throat from a cold or some
transient irritation, is there anything I can do to help soothe her throat?

(yes, if it continues over two weeks, or gets worse she'll go to the vet)

Thanks for any advice!

jmc

Buddy's Mom
November 10th 07, 01:51 PM
Jill
It is probably a fur ball. That is what my cat does for a while
before upchucking one. Might give her something for fur balls.

On Nov 10, 7:13?am, jmc > wrote:
> I happened to catch Meep "gulping" for the second time in about a week.
> The first time, she'd make this stretch-then-pull-back motion with her
> head, followed by a sort of sneezy sound (probably a cough). The
> episode lasted less than 30 seconds. She's been otherwise fine. Just
> now, she did it again, but only the gulping and only for a few seconds.
>
> Last time I saw this gulp-and-sneeze action, it was much more severe,
> took her to the emergency vet, and of course by the time we go there
> she'd stopped. Vet said her throat was red and irritated, and
> speculated that she'd gotten some grass up in her soft pallet.
>
> So why don't I think that's the problem this time? Because she hasn't
> been near grass for quite a while. She's still fur-mowing, and I've
> took her off Stronghold to see if that's the problem, and thus she's
> stuck inside. Hasn't been outside for at least two weeks.
>
> Could she just have a cold? She doesn't seem to have any other symptoms
> (eyes are clear, no runny nose, gums OK from what she'll let me see).
> She hasn't asked me for hot tea or Vitamin C :)
>
> Anyway, assuming this is just a sore throat from a cold or some
> transient irritation, is there anything I can do to help soothe her throat?
>
> (yes, if it continues over two weeks, or gets worse she'll go to the vet)
>
> Thanks for any advice!
>
> jmc

jmc
November 10th 07, 02:09 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Buddy's Mom exclaimed (11/10/2007 11:21 PM):

> On Nov 10, 7:13?am, jmc > wrote:
>> I happened to catch Meep "gulping" for the second time in about a week.
>

> Jill
> It is probably a fur ball. That is what my cat does for a while
> before upchucking one. Might give her something for fur balls.

Duh! She gets hairballs so little (maybe once a year) I did't even
think of that.

I've already given her a dose. Fortunately, she thinks hairball med is
a treat!

jmc

cybercat
November 10th 07, 02:42 PM
"jmc" > wrote

> Could she just have a cold? She doesn't seem to have any other symptoms
> (eyes are clear, no runny nose, gums OK from what she'll let me see). She
> hasn't asked me for hot tea or Vitamin C :)
>
> Anyway, assuming this is just a sore throat from a cold or some transient
> irritation, is there anything I can do to help soothe her throat?
>
> (yes, if it continues over two weeks, or gets worse she'll go to the vet)
>
> Thanks for any advice!

Gracie does this when she is congested. (She has asthma and allergies.)
She usually does it when it is time for a Depo shot. When it seems
severe, and I think it is too soon for a Depo shot, I have, under
the vet's direction, given her 2 mgs of Chlortrimeton (there is a cheaper
generic) every twelve hours. NOT the kind with decongestant, just the
allergy kind. They come in 4 mg tabs, so you cut them in half. But call
your vet first to make sure there is no reason Meep cannot have this
drug.