PDA

View Full Version : How teach new cat use scathing post advice needed

Gregg
November 11th 07, 04:43 AM
I have a cardboard srathing post, how do I get my 3 year old ginger
tabby to use it,she was never trained to use one, how to train her to
use it?

Suzie-Q[_2_]
November 11th 07, 07:19 AM
In article . com>,
Gregg > wrote:

> I have a cardboard srathing post, how do I get my 3 year old ginger
> tabby to use it,she was never trained to use one, how to train her to
> use it?

Didn't it come with catnip? That will usually draw the cat to
the cardboard and she should start using it. If she doesn't,
show her what to do with your own fingernails. Really! This is
how I got two new kittens to use the scratching post.

--

8^)~ Sue (remove the x to email)
~~~~

As seen on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/wacvet

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/
http://www.intergnat.com/pussygames/

Phil P.
November 11th 07, 07:58 AM
"Gregg" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I have a cardboard srathing post, how do I get my 3 year old ginger
> tabby to use it,she was never trained to use one, how to train her to
> use it?

Lead her to the scratching post by dragging a string over it. She should get
the hang of it after she digs her claws into it trying to grab the string.

You should have a few posts or one with different textures- sisal, wood,
long nap carpet. See which she prefers. Placement is also important as is
sturdiness- the post shouldn't wobble.

http://maxshouse.com/understanding_scratching.htm

Phil

paulgreen
November 11th 07, 10:55 AM
On Nov 11, 4:43 am, Gregg > wrote:
> I have a cardboard srathing post, how do I get my 3 year old ginger
> tabby to use it,she was never trained to use one, how to train her to
> use it?

Hey - maybe you'll find what you're looking for here:
http://www.so-you-want-to-train-your-cat.com

Good luck.

John Doe
November 11th 07, 07:41 PM
Gregg > wrote:

> I have a cardboard srathing post, how do I get my 3 year old
> ginger tabby to use it,she was never trained to use one, how to
> train her to use it?

Make a long scratching post (like a carpeted board), lean it up
against a dresser or whatever sort of platform, and put food up
there. Works every time.