PDA

View Full Version : cat eats litter and ashes

jjg
November 12th 07, 12:11 PM
Hello, *

Our cat occasionally eats litter (clean litter, as he is not normally using
it) and I have also seen him eating ashes from the fireplace. For the rest,
he looks good, and eats normally, but I am worried about the "additives".
Do they contain some nutrient that is missing from his diet? Is it like
norit (coal)?

He is now 14 years old, just in case that is relevant.

Gail[_2_]
November 12th 07, 12:33 PM
He should see a vet. He may be anemic.
Gail
"jjg" > wrote in message
> Hello, *
>
> Our cat occasionally eats litter (clean litter, as he is not normally
> using
> it) and I have also seen him eating ashes from the fireplace. For the
> rest,
> he looks good, and eats normally, but I am worried about the "additives".
> Do they contain some nutrient that is missing from his diet? Is it like
> norit (coal)?
>
> He is now 14 years old, just in case that is relevant.

Rene S.
November 12th 07, 02:25 PM
On Nov 12, 6:11 am, jjg > wrote:
> Hello, *
>
> Our cat occasionally eats litter (clean litter, as he is not normally using
> it) and I have also seen him eating ashes from the fireplace. For the rest,
> he looks good, and eats normally, but I am worried about the "additives".
> Do they contain some nutrient that is missing from his diet? Is it like
> norit (coal)?
>
> He is now 14 years old, just in case that is relevant.

This is a condition that's called pica, which can be a symptom of many
things, including anemia. I would take him in to the vet for a checkup
and full blood panel.

November 13th 07, 12:19 PM
It's often from a mineral deficiency. The old home remedy for this is
giving him a bone to lick. That sounds like what he's asking for.

Cats in the wild get calcium that way.