PDA

View Full Version : Lantus insulin cost

Richard Evans
November 12th 07, 08:03 PM
My vet just switched my dibetic cat to Lantus and I've found a HUGE
variation in costs. My regular pharmacy was $188, but the pharmacy in
the supermarket nextdoor was only $88.

What's the best price available?

Richard Evans
November 12th 07, 10:12 PM
"cindys" > wrote:

>"Richard Evans" > wrote in message
>> My vet just switched my dibetic cat to Lantus and I've found a HUGE
>> variation in costs. My regular pharmacy was $188, but the pharmacy in
>> the supermarket nextdoor was only $88.
>>
>> What's the best price available?
>-------
>I paid $75 last year at Rite Aid (my cat no longer requires insulin), but I
>don't remember the number of cc (is the $188 bottle the same size as the $88
>bottle?).

I suspect so. The drug store (a local Rite Aid) said there was a
smaller vial, but it was in an injector pen.

Richard Evans
November 12th 07, 11:09 PM
"cindys" > wrote:

>-------
>Well, all you can do is call around and get the best price, which is still a
>small fortune :-(

I already bought it because he really needed it. At the rate I'm using
it (two units per day) he'll probably be gone before the insulin is.

Richard Evans
November 12th 07, 11:48 PM
"cindys" > wrote:

>-----------
>My kitty actually used it for only a week or two. After that he was "cured."
>His blood glucose stabilized as a result of the Lantus insulin (and feeding
>him canned cat food and Purina OM - overweight management cat food, which is
>low carbohydrate).

The vet said he's been diabetic for too long to hope for a reversal
from the Lantus.

> I hope you're checking your cat's blood glucose. The last
>thing you want is for the cat to get hypoglycemic.

He used to be on Lente, until it was discontinued by the manufacturer.
We never checked his glucose then and he did fine. She put him on
something else (the name of which escapes me). We then started trying
to check glucose, but were never successful. He's gone downhill lately
and was very high when I took him to the vet today. She switched him
to Lantus and admitted him to stabilize him.

>From you original post, it sounded like your cat has had diabetes for a while
>though...

He's fifteen and been diabetic for about five years. He's on borrowed
time. We are hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

Richard Evans
November 13th 07, 12:42 AM
Someone replied to me in email, but the message somehow disappeared
before I could read or reply. Please send it again.

Richard Evans
November 13th 07, 12:47 AM
"Matthew" > wrote:

>> He's fifteen and been diabetic for about five years. He's on borrowed
>> time. We are hoping for the best but expecting the worst.
>>

>Richard I am very sorry you are going thru this. I am sending purrs and
>adding a prayer for you all.

Yeah, this one is going to be tough. Ripley is our oldest (of six) and
clearly the king of the house. He has his own place at the dinner
table and his own plate. He has long silky hair that my wife has to
brush every day to keep the tangles out. He puts up with it to a point
then bites down on her wrist, giving her a look that says " I can hurt
you, if I want to." We were clearly put on earth to serve him.

Richard Evans
November 13th 07, 02:56 AM
Just got a call from the vet and Ripley is coming around. He may come
home tomorrow. All for only $900.

Richard Evans
November 15th 07, 08:44 PM
Richard Evans > wrote:

>My vet just switched my dibetic cat to Lantus and I've found a HUGE
>variation in costs. My regular pharmacy was $188, but the pharmacy in
>the supermarket nextdoor was only $88.
>
>What's the best price available?

According to the Wal-Mart pharmacy, a 1,000-unit vial is $88, which is
right about what I paid. Pen cartridges are five 100-unit cartridges
(total of 500 units, half the amount in the larger vial) for $210.

No economy there