PDA

View Full Version : new friends for adult kitties

November 13th 07, 03:50 AM
We have a 6 year old female cat that we are getting a kitten companion
for. We have encountered some people that believe we need two kittens
in order to give the adult a break from playtime while still occupying
the kitten. Help, we need to make a decision soon!

John Doe
November 13th 07, 04:37 AM
wrote:

> We have a 6 year old female cat that we are getting a kitten
> companion for. We have encountered some people that believe we
> need two kittens in order to give the adult a break from playtime

Yes, that's a good thought, IMO. Consider the jealousy factor too.
Your six year old female is probably very used to your undivided
attention.

> while still occupying the kitten. Help, we need to make a decision
> soon!

Get a cat, or if necessary a kitten, from a shelter. Or take one
directly off of the street. That way your decision will be less
critical.

By the way... around here, they/we kind of assume that everyone
knows better than to declaw her (or his) new cats.

Good luck and have fun.

November 13th 07, 08:54 AM
On Nov 12, 7:44 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> > We have a 6 year old female cat that we are getting a kitten companion
> > for. We have encountered some people that believe we need two kittens
> > in order to give the adult a break from playtime while still occupying
> > the kitten. Help, we need to make a decision soon!
>
> Adopt as many as you can take but be upfront with the knowledge that some
> cats are one kitty cats only. Best of luck the localshelter will love
> litter mates to be taken home together

THat is what I think. This person should make sure her existing cat
will be happy with other cats in the house. Maybe borrow or foster a
cat.

November 13th 07, 01:17 PM
Aaack. I inadvertently hit the wrong button.

Don't know where my reply went, so if it went nowhere, I am posting
again...

(Maybe didn't help that the kitten ran across my keyboard around that
time. How he managed to hit so many keys with only four paws...)

There are some very good reasons for getting two kittens for a six
year old cat. The six year old might find one kitten to be harassment,
since the one kitten can't help but target the older cat for play and
interaction, and the older cat is dealing with enough right now.

Two kittens take the pressure off, as I wrote in this post:

http://wayofcats.blogspot.com/2007/11/cat-solution-more-cats.html

And introduce properly! Put the kittens in another room while the
older cat is geting used to the idea. Don't let the older cat in until
their curiosity is unbearable, and that will help override their
misgivings.