PDA

View Full Version : Was Serious Constipation now CRF ?

DrLargePants
November 13th 07, 04:51 PM
> Last year our cat was suffering with seriousconstipation
> (googlegroups link here:http://tinyurl.com/2z7k8n)

Having taken the Cat to a small animal hospital for a checkup re the
constipation, it now transpires he has high urea and creatine levels,
and his kidney function is down to about %30 indicating chronic renal
failure. He's also got high calcium levels

He's showing no other symptoms i.e. he's eating drinking & peeing
normally, his coat is fine and his behaviour is normal.

He's only about 5 years old max, so he seems rather young for CRF to
me.

He's having more scans tomorrow to check for cancer etc, but all in
all it doesn't sound good at all.

Very sad right now :(

Gail[_2_]
November 13th 07, 04:59 PM
Yes, 5 years old does seem young for CRF. Keep us posted......
Gail
"DrLargePants" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>> Last year our cat was suffering with seriousconstipation
>> (googlegroups link here:http://tinyurl.com/2z7k8n)
>
> Having taken the Cat to a small animal hospital for a checkup re the
> constipation, it now transpires he has high urea and creatine levels,
> and his kidney function is down to about %30 indicating chronic renal
> failure. He's also got high calcium levels
>
> He's showing no other symptoms i.e. he's eating drinking & peeing
> normally, his coat is fine and his behaviour is normal.
>
> He's only about 5 years old max, so he seems rather young for CRF to
> me.
>
> He's having more scans tomorrow to check for cancer etc, but all in
> all it doesn't sound good at all.
>
> Very sad right now :(

November 13th 07, 06:59 PM
"DrLargePants" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>> Last year our cat was suffering with seriousconstipation
>> (googlegroups link here:http://tinyurl.com/2z7k8n)
>
> Having taken the Cat to a small animal hospital for a checkup re the
> constipation, it now transpires he has high urea and creatine levels,
> and his kidney function is down to about %30 indicating chronic renal
> failure. He's also got high calcium levels
>
> He's showing no other symptoms i.e. he's eating drinking & peeing
> normally, his coat is fine and his behaviour is normal.
>
> He's only about 5 years old max, so he seems rather young for CRF to
> me.
>
> He's having more scans tomorrow to check for cancer etc, but all in
> all it doesn't sound good at all.
>
> Very sad right now :(

I can see why, how worrisome. I don't have any ideas for you about what it
might be, but I really hope it is something that can be corrected so that he
can
live a long, healthy life. Five is so young to be seriously ill. Please let
us know
what the vet says.

DrLargePants
November 15th 07, 03:34 PM
> I can see why, how worrisome. I don't have any ideas for you about what it
> might be, but I really hope it is something that can be corrected so that he
> can
> live a long, healthy life. Five is so young to be seriously ill. Please let
> us know
> what the vet says.

Well his scans came back clear so no visible signs of cancer,
allthough he won't get the allclear for that until the bonemarrow
tests come back.

It would seem he is suffering from hypercalcemia, which would explain
his constipation prehaps.

Its just a case now I think of how long he can have a good quality of
life with limited kidney function.

As to whats caused it, who knows ? I wonder if it the drugs that he's
being given for the constipation...

Anyways, fingers crossed he can live out a few happy years.

cybercat
November 15th 07, 03:45 PM

> Well his scans came back clear so no visible signs of cancer,

Fantastic!!

> allthough he won't get the allclear for that until the bonemarrow
> tests come back.

Here's hoping that is healthy too.

> It would seem he is suffering from hypercalcemia, which would explain
> his constipation prehaps.
>
> Its just a case now I think of how long he can have a good quality of
> life with limited kidney function.

A lot of cats live long lives with it, especially with the level of care you
are willing to give. I hope he does.

DrLargePants
November 15th 07, 04:05 PM
> A lot of cats live long lives with it, especially with the level of care you
> are willing to give. I hope he does.

Well here's hoping. I guess the fact that he is young is in his
favour. I'd just love to know what has triggered it.

November 16th 07, 03:07 AM
On Nov 15, 7:05 am, DrLargePants > wrote:
> > A lot of cats live long lives with it, especially with the level of care you
> > are willing to give. I hope he does.
>
> Well here's hoping. I guess the fact that he is young is in his
> favour. I'd just love to know what has triggered it.

What kind of food is he eating?

I've switched my cats (gradually) to food with less and less grains in
it, since I found out cats don't have the enzymes to digest them.
Their fur has gotten shinier, they've stayed slim as they age, and Mr.
Bond doesn't throw up nearly as much.

Corn, especially, can give cats all kinds of trouble. Check the food.

Rhonda[_3_]
November 16th 07, 06:28 AM
wrote:
> On Nov 15, 7:05 am, DrLargePants > wrote:
>
>>>A lot of cats live long lives with it, especially with the level of care you
>>>are willing to give. I hope he does.
>>
>>Well here's hoping. I guess the fact that he is young is in his
>>favour. I'd just love to know what has triggered it.
>

> What kind of food is he eating?
>
> I've switched my cats (gradually) to food with less and less grains in
> it, since I found out cats don't have the enzymes to digest them.
> Their fur has gotten shinier, they've stayed slim as they age, and Mr.
> Bond doesn't throw up nearly as much.
>
> Corn, especially, can give cats all kinds of trouble. Check the food.

Has he eaten any of the tainted food that hit the pet world this year?
That caused a lot of kidney problems in cats.

Rhonda

DrLargePants
November 16th 07, 03:59 PM
> Has he eaten any of the tainted food that hit the pet world this year?
> That caused a lot of kidney problems in cats.

No he's not had any of those brands

DrLargePants
November 16th 07, 04:01 PM
>What kind of food is he eating?

He's on a prescription diet for his constipation, its basically high
fibre food. His coat is fine as is his weight and general demeanour,
which is why this came as such a shock.

DrLargePants
November 20th 07, 03:11 PM
> Having taken the Cat to a small animal hospital for a checkup re the
> constipation, it now transpires he has high urea and creatine levels,
> and his kidney function is down to about %30 indicating chronic renal
> failure. He's also got high calcium levels

He's tested positive for FIV, which is interesting as we had him
tested for it when we rescued him and he's not been in contact with
any other cats bar our other one who's not got it. I presume the test
was a false negative.

His kidneys aren't going to get any better, but at least its not
cancer.

November 20th 07, 05:56 PM
"DrLargePants" > wrote in message
>> Having taken the Cat to a small animal hospital for a checkup re the
>> constipation, it now transpires he has high urea and creatine levels,
>> and his kidney function is down to about %30 indicating chronic renal
>> failure. He's also got high calcium levels
>

> He's tested positive for FIV, which is interesting as we had him
> tested for it when we rescued him and he's not been in contact with
> any other cats bar our other one who's not got it. I presume the test
> was a false negative.
>
> His kidneys aren't going to get any better, but at least its not
> cancer.

Yeah. I am sorry he is sick, he really is so young. Wish it could be
something reversable.

DrLargePants
November 21st 07, 11:12 AM
> Yeah. I am sorry he is sick, he really is so young. Wish it could be
> something reversable.

Thing is only we know he's sick. He's fine at the moment, and full of
life. How long we'll have him for I don't know, but who knows that
anyway ?