PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Low Budget Interactive Cat Toy :)

cybercat
November 16th 07, 05:04 PM
I have these yoga pants with a thin elastic drawstring that worked itself
out in the dryer.

Flung on either side of the tall scratching post, it is not only a string,
but a stretchy string that, when released, goes ZING and snaps the one
holding the other end. (It's a soft snap, not a stinging one.)

:)

I will never forget the first time I let go on Gracie. The look on her face
was priceless MU hahaha! However, even funnier was the moment she figured
out what would happen when SHE let go first. I swear, I could see her
thinking. Now, almost every time, she lets go first, even if she has to bite
the string to unhook it from a claw.

She never tires of this, and is standing there waitng for me to play right
now. She leaps in the air and comes down upside down on the scratching post,
sticking like velcro.

:)

mlbriggs
November 16th 07, 08:08 PM
On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 12:04:09 -0500, cybercat wrote:

> I have these yoga pants with a thin elastic drawstring that worked itself
> out in the dryer.
>
> Flung on either side of the tall scratching post, it is not only a string,
> but a stretchy string that, when released, goes ZING and snaps the one
> holding the other end. (It's a soft snap, not a stinging one.)
>
>> [quoted text muted]
>
> I will never forget the first time I let go on Gracie. The look on her face
> was priceless MU hahaha! However, even funnier was the moment she figured
> out what would happen when SHE let go first. I swear, I could see her
> thinking. Now, almost every time, she lets go first, even if she has to bite
> the string to unhook it from a claw.
>
> She never tires of this, and is standing there waitng for me to play right
> now. She leaps in the air and comes down upside down on the scratching post,
> sticking like velcro.
>
>> [quoted text muted]

TuTu also has a cheap favorite toy: A Kleenex box with a few small items
in it -- a couple of large bobby pins, a brush type hair curler. a bottle
cap. She loves to fish them out and toss them. MLB

MaryL
November 16th 07, 10:09 PM
"mlbriggs" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 12:04:09 -0500, cybercat wrote:
>
>> I have these yoga pants with a thin elastic drawstring that worked itself
>> out in the dryer.
>>
>> Flung on either side of the tall scratching post, it is not only a
>> string,
>> but a stretchy string that, when released, goes ZING and snaps the one
>> holding the other end. (It's a soft snap, not a stinging one.)
>>
>>> [quoted text muted]
>>
>> I will never forget the first time I let go on Gracie. The look on her
>> face
>> was priceless MU hahaha! However, even funnier was the moment she figured
>> out what would happen when SHE let go first. I swear, I could see her
>> thinking. Now, almost every time, she lets go first, even if she has to
>> bite
>> the string to unhook it from a claw.
>>
>> She never tires of this, and is standing there waitng for me to play
>> right
>> now. She leaps in the air and comes down upside down on the scratching
>> post,
>> sticking like velcro.
>>
>>> [quoted text muted]
>

> TuTu also has a cheap favorite toy: A Kleenex box with a few small items
> in it -- a couple of large bobby pins, a brush type hair curler. a bottle
> cap. She loves to fish them out and toss them. MLB

Please be careful with bobby pins. A cat can swallow one (even a large one)
and choke.

MaryL

-Lost
November 16th 07, 10:49 PM
Response to "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>:

>> TuTu also has a cheap favorite toy: A Kleenex box with a few
>> small items in it -- a couple of large bobby pins, a brush type
>> hair curler. a bottle cap. She loves to fish them out and toss
>> them. MLB
>>

> Please be careful with bobby pins. A cat can swallow one (even a
> large one) and choke.

Good point.

I noticed Gabby liked chewing on garbage ties -- the kind with metal
inside. So I went to the crafts store and bought these jumbo fuzzy
wire thingies and made bracelets out of them -- large enough he
cannot swallow them but EXACTLY what he seems to love.

Other than that, all empty diaper boxes "are belong to him."

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

cybercat
November 16th 07, 11:54 PM
"mlbriggs" > wrote

> TuTu also has a cheap favorite toy: A Kleenex box with a few small items
> in it -- a couple of large bobby pins, a brush type hair curler. a bottle
> cap. She loves to fish them out and toss them. MLB

That's really cute. And what a cute name.
They are such creative little creatures! With such distinctly different
personalities. Both of the other cats I have had did/do not play much.
Her first night here from the shelter, she chased her tail on the foot
of the bed, it was hilarious.

November 17th 07, 01:58 AM
In article >,
says...
> mlbriggs wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 12:04:09 -0500, cybercat wrote:
> >

> >>I have these yoga pants with a thin elastic drawstring that worked itself
> >>out in the dryer.
> >>
> >>Flung on either side of the tall scratching post, it is not only a string,
> >>but a stretchy string that, when released, goes ZING and snaps the one
> >>holding the other end. (It's a soft snap, not a stinging one.)

> >>I will never forget the first time I let go on Gracie. The look on her face
> >>was priceless MU hahaha! However, even funnier was the moment she figured
> >>out what would happen when SHE let go first. I swear, I could see her
> >>thinking. Now, almost every time, she lets go first, even if she has to bite
> >>the string to unhook it from a claw.
> >>
> >>She never tires of this, and is standing there waitng for me to play right
> >>now. She leaps in the air and comes down upside down on the scratching post,
> >>sticking like velcro.

> > TuTu also has a cheap favorite toy: A Kleenex box with a few small items
> > in it -- a couple of large bobby pins, a brush type hair curler. a bottle
> > cap. She loves to fish them out and toss them. MLB
> >
> Buddha loves that, too. The best is when his head gets caught - the
> image of this square box head on a cat body sends me into hysterics
> every time. Don't worry, he quickly figures out how to get it off
> every time.

My now deceased cat Randy loved sticking his head in empty ice cream
containers and then of course he'd get his head stuck in it. I wish I
had the video camera back then because it was comical as all hell.

cybercat
November 17th 07, 03:23 PM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On Fri 16 Nov 2007 06:54:10p, cybercat wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav >:
>

> Scarlett did that for the longest time! She still sometimes chases
> her tail, and she's now just over 3 years old. So funny to watch! I
> have to wonder, what is going on in her mind. It doesn't seem
> obsessive or uncomfortable, just that it needs to be chased.

That's exactly it! You know, I have never seen Gracie do this again.
In her case, it almost seemed like pure joy that she was out of that
cramped shelter. When I first reached out and she leaned into my
hand and rubbed her face on me, she was in a donut bed with a
pained look on her pointy little face, because there was a bit Tom
trying to share the bed with her. lol

I know we sometimes attribute human emotions to cats that are
not really there, but honestly, she seemed to be so grateful to
have a home. So polite and eager to please, my little puppycat,
following me around, just being an angel. It's very touching. I think
she must have had a person before.

jmc
November 18th 07, 03:25 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Cheryl exclaimed (11/17/2007 2:53 PM):
> On Fri 16 Nov 2007 06:54:10p, cybercat wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav >:
>
>> Both of the other cats I have had did/do not play much.
>> Her first night here from the shelter, she chased her tail on
>> the foot of the bed, it was hilarious.
>>

> Scarlett did that for the longest time! She still sometimes chases
> her tail, and she's now just over 3 years old. So funny to watch! I
> have to wonder, what is going on in her mind. It doesn't seem
> obsessive or uncomfortable, just that it needs to be chased.

Meep's going on 12, and still chases her tail on occasion. She'll start
by staring at the twitching end like it's prey, and try to sneak up on
it. Too Funny.

jmc