PDA

View Full Version : Question: Body condition of horse

jmc
November 24th 07, 01:25 AM
There's a horse that I've been riding and careing for once a week. He's
an OTTB Thoroughbred. His condition isn't what it used to be; the owner
has been going through a bad time, and for a while "wasn't able to" feed
him twice a day like she should. No excuse for that; he dropped weight
and is clearly skinny. He's bright and lively, and not lacking in
energy when I ride him (though I don't ride him hard due to his condition).

The owner finally fixed the problem, and now her partner is feeding the
horse and pony twice a day (the pony can practically live on air so he's
OK).

On my day I make sure he gets some green graze as well as his ration.

Well, I got a distressed call from the partner this morning - she'd been
accosted at the pub last night, photographed and threatened with the
RSPCA. I told her not to worry, he is certainly underweight but not a
rescue case, and the problem is being corrected. Even said she could
have RSPCA call me and I'd talk to them.

I also told her to increase his feed, to get him back up to a proper
weight. But now *I'm* worried, since if I'm wrong, I might be culpable
too. Is he skinny enough for the RSPCA to take action? What would you
say his body condition is (and which scale you're using, please?)

I'd put him on a 2 on the Australian 1-5 scale and perhaps a 3.5 to 4 on
a 1-10 scale.

Here's the photo. Keep in mind, he's just had a bath and is drying off,
so his barrel looks a bit rucked up bit it's just wavy, half-dried hair.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/travelcat/2058529812/

Thanks for any help.

jmc

jmc
November 24th 07, 07:00 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Matthew exclaimed (11/24/2007 10:27 AM):
> "jmc" > wrote in message
>> There's a horse that I've been riding and careing for once a week. He's
>> an OTTB Thoroughbred. His condition isn't what it used to be; the owner
>> has been going through a bad time, and for a while "wasn't able to" feed
>> him twice a day like she should. No excuse for that; he dropped weight
>> and is clearly skinny. He's bright and lively, and not lacking in energy
>> when I ride him (though I don't ride him hard due to his condition).

>> Thanks for any help.
>>
>> jmc
>
> You are right on the scale numbers but I would say a 3.5 on US scale. Here
> in the US the animal services would step in and require that the horse be
> vet seen and the records turned over and they would give the owner a set
> date to see improvement; if it was not medical. There would be a warning
> than possible fine than and or seizure. Depending on the officer and the
> attitude of the owner would set the tone for a seizure here. I would say it
> would be a 75% chance of it happening.
>
> Horse needs more heavy feed definitely and supplements added to the grain.
> No free grazing being that skinny could colic
>
> Being a horse person myself. Shame on the owner no excuse.
>
> Keep up with JMC that horse is at the turning point where it could go bad.
>
> Did you check the hooves, knees, eyes and its teeth. Any type of signs of
> problems.

Darn. I cancelled this message when I realized I posted it to the wrong
group. Guess I didn't actually.

Anyway, thanks for the answer. The overwhelming opinion on the proper
ng is that I've overestimated. Fortunately, things are already on their
way to being fixed, and I'll keep an eye on him to make sure he's
gaining weight.

No, he's healthy enough. Needs a trimming but he's not very old -
around 11 - and in good health. Just needs to be fed up more.

He gets some graze (hand grazing) but I'm careful and he's shown no sign
of colic.

jmc

honeybunch
November 25th 07, 12:45 AM
On Nov 24, 1:00 am, jmc > wrote:
> Suddenly, without warning, Matthew exclaimed (11/24/2007 10:27 AM):
>

> > "jmc" > wrote in message
> >> There's a horse that I've been riding and careing for once a week. He's
> >> an OTTB Thoroughbred. His condition isn't what it used to be; the owner
> >> has been going through a bad time, and for a while "wasn't able to" feed
> >> him twice a day like she should. No excuse for that; he dropped weight
> >> and is clearly skinny. He's bright and lively, and not lacking in energy
> >> when I ride him (though I don't ride him hard due to his condition).
> >> Thanks for any help.
>
> >> jmc
>
> > You are right on the scale numbers but I would say a 3.5 on US scale. Here
> > in the US the animal services would step in and require that the horse be
> > vet seen and the records turned over and they would give the owner a set
> > date to see improvement; if it was not medical. There would be a warning
> > than possible fine than and or seizure. Depending on the officer and the
> > attitude of the owner would set the tone for a seizure here. I would say it
> > would be a 75% chance of it happening.
>
> > Horse needs more heavy feed definitely and supplements added to the grain.
> > No free grazing being that skinny could colic
>
> > Being a horse person myself. Shame on the owner no excuse.
>
> > Keep up with JMC that horse is at the turning point where it could go bad.
>
> > Did you check the hooves, knees, eyes and its teeth. Any type of signs of
> > problems.
>
> Darn. I cancelled this message when I realized I posted it to the wrong
> group. Guess I didn't actually.
>
> Anyway, thanks for the answer. The overwhelming opinion on the proper
> ng is that I've overestimated. Fortunately, things are already on their
> way to being fixed, and I'll keep an eye on him to make sure he's
> gaining weight.
>
> No, he's healthy enough. Needs a trimming but he's not very old -
> around 11 - and in good health. Just needs to be fed up more.
>
> He gets some graze (hand grazing) but I'm careful and he's shown no sign
> of colic.
>
> jmc

Why dont you give him some canned cat food and take him to the vet.
Thats the usual response here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlK62rjQWLk

cybercat
November 25th 07, 12:51 AM
"honeybunch" > wrote in
> Why dont you give him some canned cat food and take him to the vet.
> Thats the usual response here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlK62rjQWLk

I love that movie. It won a Cannes Film Festival Award, too.

jmc
November 25th 07, 11:43 AM
Suddenly, without warning, honeybunch exclaimed (11/25/2007 9:15 AM):
> On Nov 24, 1:00 am, jmc > wrote:
>> Suddenly, without warning, Matthew exclaimed (11/24/2007 10:27 AM):

>> Darn. I cancelled this message when I realized I posted it to the wrong
>> group. Guess I didn't actually.
>>

>> He gets some graze (hand grazing) but I'm careful and he's shown no sign
>> of colic.
>>
>> jmc
>
> Why dont you give him some canned cat food and take him to the vet.
> Thats the usual response here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlK62rjQWLk

Can't do that, Meep would be incensed if I fed *Her* food to that...
that... EQUINE!!

:)

jmc