PDA

View Full Version : Re: Drinkwell Platinum Anyone?

yngver
November 28th 07, 09:06 PM
On Nov 28, 9:12 am, "CatNipped" > wrote:
> I asked Santa for a Drinkwell Platinum fountain for the cats for *my*
> Christmas present. Their regular Drinkwell has about had it, I have to
> "jump start" the pump every time I clean it because my long-haired cats shed
> and the hair gets caught in the pump. The Drinkwell Platinum says it has a
> "pre-filter" that will catch cat hair *before* it gets into the pump.
>
> Anybody here have one? If so, what do you think of it (it's pretty pricey
> at PetsMart - around $65, but getting it online cheaper doesn't help when
> you have to add on shipping)?
>
> --
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

I'm on my second Drinkwell (the original version) and I'm thinking of
getting this one as well. Would also like to hear comments from anyone
who has one. I wonder how much replacements for the "pre-filter" cost--
or is this taking the place of the original charcoal filter? One thing
that has me almost convinced is a report that the Platinum version is
easier to clean. I admit I replaced the first Drinkwell not just
because the motor was getting noisy, but because it was getting
impossible to get it clean. The current one is also starting to sound
a little funny and no matter how hard I scrub, there are deposits on
some areas that I just can't remove.

-yngver

CatNipped[_2_]
November 29th 07, 01:21 PM
"yngver" > wrote in message
> On Nov 28, 9:12 am, "CatNipped" > wrote:
>> I asked Santa for a Drinkwell Platinum fountain for the cats for *my*
>> Christmas present. Their regular Drinkwell has about had it, I have to
>> "jump start" the pump every time I clean it because my long-haired cats
>> shed
>> and the hair gets caught in the pump. The Drinkwell Platinum says it has
>> "pre-filter" that will catch cat hair *before* it gets into the pump.
>>
>> Anybody here have one? If so, what do you think of it (it's pretty
>> pricey
>> at PetsMart - around $65, but getting it online cheaper doesn't help when
>> you have to add on shipping)?
>>
>> --
>> Hugs,
>>
>> CatNipped
>>
> I'm on my second Drinkwell (the original version) and I'm thinking of
> getting this one as well. Would also like to hear comments from anyone
> who has one. I wonder how much replacements for the "pre-filter" cost--
> or is this taking the place of the original charcoal filter? One thing
> that has me almost convinced is a report that the Platinum version is
> easier to clean. I admit I replaced the first Drinkwell not just
> because the motor was getting noisy, but because it was getting
> impossible to get it clean. The current one is also starting to sound
> a little funny and no matter how hard I scrub, there are deposits on
> some areas that I just can't remove.
>
> -yngver

We went ahead and got one, so here's my report...

First, it's *much* larger than the original, it has a large, see-through
water storage tank on the back (which seems kind of silly, unless you have a
large dog, since you still have to dump out the water to clean it once a
week - but I guess I won't have to worry about "topping it off" *during* the
week). The size and the amount of water it holds makes it a lot heavier.

Second, it's a bit harder to put together - there's a hose on the bottom of
the main tank (which holds the filter) that fits into the pump (which is
submerged), the pump comes apart in three pieces - but I guess I can get
used to it (I haven't cleaned it yet, we just set it up last night). I
would think that it will be easier to clean, there aren't as many "tight
fits" in the water compartments.

Third, it's *much* quieter than the original since the pump is submerged and
the fountain sticks out further and hits further down the sloping ramp.

You don't have to replace the "pre-filter", it just a plastic grill that
fits over the intake valve in the bowl of the fountain. The filters are the
same shape and size as the old ones, but where the old ones were divided
into two sections, these are divided into six sections. I don't know how
much the replacement filters cost versus the old ones, but if they're a lot
more you can still use the old ones (or even operate the fountain without
the filters).

If you're having problems with residue, you might want to try soaking all
the parts (except the pump) in a solution of one part vinegar and three
parts water - that will loosen the mineral deposits (which build up if you
have "hard" water in your area). I guess since the new fountain has a
submersible pump you could soak this one in a vinegar solution also - and
that probably will make it last longer.

All my cats seem to like it - they all immediately came to investigate and
took a drink (Sammy, who didn't use the old one has been at this one 5 - 6
times that I've seen since last night). So far I'm pleased with it - I'll
let you know in about a week how easy it is to clean.

Hugs,

CatNipped

November 29th 07, 05:47 PM
In article >,
says...
> "Adam Helberg" > wrote in
> :
>
> > I have the original Drinkwell and I don't use the filters. Instead I
> > change the water every 3 days or so brush the plastic with a bottle
> > cleaner.
>

> I've been using the Petmate Fresh Flow Deluxe for several years. The
> Drinkwell was too pricey at the time, so I bought the Petmate. They've also
> really improved the filters, too. It's amazing how fast the filter gets
> rusty colored. The one hassle is cleaning the small fishtank like pump.
> There's about four or five parts and I need several cotton swabs in order to
> get the residue out.
>
> Every time I clean the unit and look at the filter, it's a reminder of all
> the impurities we're drinking from the tap without a filter (although I've
> been using a Brita filter for years).

Actually what you're cleaning out from the filter is algae along with
bits of cat food, etc.

November 29th 07, 06:22 PM
In article >,
says...
> "Adam Helberg" > wrote in
> :
>
> > I have the original Drinkwell and I don't use the filters. Instead I
> > change the water every 3 days or so brush the plastic with a bottle
> > cleaner.
>

> I've been using the Petmate Fresh Flow Deluxe for several years. The
> Drinkwell was too pricey at the time, so I bought the Petmate. They've also
> really improved the filters, too. It's amazing how fast the filter gets
> rusty colored. The one hassle is cleaning the small fishtank like pump.
> There's about four or five parts and I need several cotton swabs in order to
> get the residue out.
>
> Every time I clean the unit and look at the filter, it's a reminder of all
> the impurities we're drinking from the tap without a filter (although I've
> been using a Brita filter for years).

I finally visited the Petmate site and found they sell the replacement
pumps online now.

About time, the one in Angie's water dish gave up the ghost about 8
months ago.

yngver
November 29th 07, 11:39 PM
On Nov 29, 7:21 am, "CatNipped" > wrote:
> [...]
> much the replacement filters cost versus the old ones, but if they're a lot
> more you can still use the old ones (or even operate the fountain without
> the filters).
>
> If you're having problems with residue, you might want to try soaking all
> the parts (except the pump) in a solution of one part vinegar and three
> parts water - that will loosen the mineral deposits (which build up if you
> have "hard" water in your area). I guess since the new fountain has a
> submersible pump you could soak this one in a vinegar solution also - and
> that probably will make it last longer.
>
> All my cats seem to like it - they all immediately came to investigate and
> took a drink (Sammy, who didn't use the old one has been at this one 5 - 6
> times that I've seen since last night). So far I'm pleased with it - I'll
> let you know in about a week how easy it is to clean.

Thanks for your detailed report. I haven't tried soaking the Drinkwell
in vinegar to remove the deposits--maybe that will help. I only use
filtered water in the Drinkwell anyway, not water straight from the
tap, but there are still deposits.

I've been using a set of brushes made for cleaning out aquarium pumps
for the pump itself--but I know they don't get everything out that
builds up in there. For the plastic parts that are hard to reach, I've
been using a toothbrush. I envy those who have a dishwasher as I've
been assuming that would get the thing cleaner a lot easier. Maybe
that still doesn't get all the deposits off though.

I don't clean the filters; when it gets clogged up with cat hair, I
throw it away and put in a new one.

That plastic "pre-filter" sounds a bit hard to clean, but I guess it
would filter out the occasional bug that lands in the water. Other
than that, I haven't really had any problems in that regard.

Not sure I like that it's a lot bigger. We have ours in a certain
place in the kitchen, where the cats are used to it, and I hope a
bigger one would fit.

Is the water storage tank removable? I bought the add-on one for the
original Drinkwell, but that one is a separate container so when I
want to clean the unit, I don't really have to dump out all the water
in the container if it's fresh. Not sure I like that either, if it's
part of the unit. Seems to me it would make it harder for people to
fill it at the sink, if they need to. Much easier to just take the
separate container and fill it up.

Sounds like it is easier to clean, especially the pump, so that's
good.
-yngver

CatNipped[_2_]
November 30th 07, 01:38 AM
"yngver" > wrote in message

> Thanks for your detailed report. I haven't tried soaking the Drinkwell
> in vinegar to remove the deposits--maybe that will help. I only use
> filtered water in the Drinkwell anyway, not water straight from the
> tap, but there are still deposits.

No problem, I like passing on info as much as I appreciate others tell me
stuff about cats.

The vinegar will definitely help - filtered water doesn't necessarily take
out the minerals (and if it's "spring water" it might even contain more
minerals than tap water).

> I've been using a set of brushes made for cleaning out aquarium pumps
> for the pump itself--but I know they don't get everything out that
> builds up in there. For the plastic parts that are hard to reach, I've
> been using a toothbrush. I envy those who have a dishwasher as I've
> been assuming that would get the thing cleaner a lot easier. Maybe
> that still doesn't get all the deposits off though.

There's a set of 3 brushes that are made specifically for the Drinkwell -
one has a sponge on the end that fits (mostly) down into the nooks and
crannies of the plastic parts. A dishwasher wouldn't help with the pump
since you can't put that in a dishwasher with ruining it. I'd suggest
taking a little vinegar mixed with water, dip a q-tip into to, and swab it
out with that every time you clean it.

> I don't clean the filters; when it gets clogged up with cat hair, I
> throw it away and put in a new one.

I rinse the hair off, but still replace it every 6 to 8 weeks. Actually,
you can run the fountain without the filters.

> That plastic "pre-filter" sounds a bit hard to clean, but I guess it
> would filter out the occasional bug that lands in the water. Other
> than that, I haven't really had any problems in that regard.

No, you'd just have to rinse off the large particles and then wash it with
warm soapy water and a brush.

> Not sure I like that it's a lot bigger. We have ours in a certain
> place in the kitchen, where the cats are used to it, and I hope a
> bigger one would fit.

It's about half again as large from back to front than the original - most
of that is the clear water holding tank.

> Is the water storage tank removable? I bought the add-on one for the
> original Drinkwell, but that one is a separate container so when I
> want to clean the unit, I don't really have to dump out all the water
> in the container if it's fresh.

Yes, it's removable and you could probably get away with not having to wash
it. I have 5 cats, though, so the water in the fountain gets pretty grungy
even with the filter.

> Not sure I like that either, if it's
> part of the unit. Seems to me it would make it harder for people to
> fill it at the sink, if they need to. Much easier to just take the
> separate container and fill it up.
>
> Sounds like it is easier to clean, especially the pump, so that's
> good.
> -yngver

Yeah, someone on another group moved "up" from the original to the platinum
and they say it's much easier to clean. He also gave me the link to a place
online that sells them the cheapest with pretty low shipping costs as well -
let me know if you'd like the link.

Hugs,

CatNipped

yngver
November 30th 07, 07:55 PM
On Nov 29, 7:38 pm, "CatNipped" > wrote:
> "yngver" > wrote in message

> > Thanks for your detailed report. I haven't tried soaking the Drinkwell
> > in vinegar to remove the deposits--maybe that will help. I only use
> > filtered water in the Drinkwell anyway, not water straight from the
> > tap, but there are still deposits.
>
> No problem, I like passing on info as much as I appreciate others tell me
> stuff about cats.
>
> The vinegar will definitely help - filtered water doesn't necessarily take
> out the minerals (and if it's "spring water" it might even contain more
> minerals than tap water).
>

> > I've been using a set of brushes made for cleaning out aquarium pumps
> > for the pump itself--but I know they don't get everything out that
> > builds up in there. For the plastic parts that are hard to reach, I've
> > been using a toothbrush. I envy those who have a dishwasher as I've
> > been assuming that would get the thing cleaner a lot easier. Maybe
> > that still doesn't get all the deposits off though.
>
> There's a set of 3 brushes that are made specifically for the Drinkwell -
> one has a sponge on the end that fits (mostly) down into the nooks and
> crannies of the plastic parts. A dishwasher wouldn't help with the pump
> since you can't put that in a dishwasher with ruining it. I'd suggest
> taking a little vinegar mixed with water, dip a q-tip into to, and swab it
> out with that every time you clean it.

So you're saying the brushes made for the Drinkwell are better to use?
Maybe I should get that set instead of the set I have. I mean, I think
I paid all of $5 for the aquarium pump set I bought at Petsmart.

> > I don't clean the filters; when it gets clogged up with cat hair, I
> > throw it away and put in a new one.
>
> I rinse the hair off, but still replace it every 6 to 8 weeks. Actually,
> you can run the fountain without the filters.

I know, but I'd rather use the filters even though we use filtered
water. If a filter just has a little hair on it, I'll wash it off and
reuse it but I've found the charcoal tends to shift down to the bottom
of the filter after a while. With the new filters, that wouldn't
happen.

> > That plastic "pre-filter" sounds a bit hard to clean, but I guess it
> > would filter out the occasional bug that lands in the water. Other
> > than that, I haven't really had any problems in that regard.
>
> No, you'd just have to rinse off the large particles and then wash it with
> warm soapy water and a brush.
>

> > Not sure I like that it's a lot bigger. We have ours in a certain
> > place in the kitchen, where the cats are used to it, and I hope a
> > bigger one would fit.
>
> It's about half again as large from back to front than the original - most
> of that is the clear water holding tank.

Okay, if it's not really much wider, but just longer, that would fit.

> > Is the water storage tank removable? I bought the add-on one for the
> > original Drinkwell, but that one is a separate container so when I
> > want to clean the unit, I don't really have to dump out all the water
> > in the container if it's fresh.
>
> Yes, it's removable and you could probably get away with not having to wash
> it. I have 5 cats, though, so the water in the fountain gets pretty grungy
> even with the filter.

Good. We have three cats but only two of them will drink from it. They
probably cause more grunge to get into it by galloping past it and up
the stairs than actual use. One might drop a toy in it once in a
while.

> > Not sure I like that either, if it's
> > part of the unit. Seems to me it would make it harder for people to
> > fill it at the sink, if they need to. Much easier to just take the
> > separate container and fill it up.
>
> > Sounds like it is easier to clean, especially the pump, so that's
> > good.
> > -yngver
>
> Yeah, someone on another group moved "up" from the original to the platinum
> and they say it's much easier to clean. He also gave me the link to a place
> online that sells them the cheapest with pretty low shipping costs as well -
> let me know if you'd like the link.
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

Is it cheaper than the $51.21 on Amazon?
-yngver

CatNipped[_2_]
December 2nd 07, 09:09 PM
"yngver" > wrote in message
> On Nov 29, 7:38 pm, "CatNipped" > wrote:
>> "yngver" > wrote in message

>> > Thanks for your detailed report. I haven't tried soaking the Drinkwell
>> > in vinegar to remove the deposits--maybe that will help. I only use
>> > filtered water in the Drinkwell anyway, not water straight from the
>> > tap, but there are still deposits.
>>
>> No problem, I like passing on info as much as I appreciate others tell me
>> stuff about cats.
>>
>> The vinegar will definitely help - filtered water doesn't necessarily
>> take
>> out the minerals (and if it's "spring water" it might even contain more
>> minerals than tap water).
>>

>> > I've been using a set of brushes made for cleaning out aquarium pumps
>> > for the pump itself--but I know they don't get everything out that
>> > builds up in there. For the plastic parts that are hard to reach, I've
>> > been using a toothbrush. I envy those who have a dishwasher as I've
>> > been assuming that would get the thing cleaner a lot easier. Maybe
>> > that still doesn't get all the deposits off though.
>>
>> There's a set of 3 brushes that are made specifically for the Drinkwell -
>> one has a sponge on the end that fits (mostly) down into the nooks and
>> crannies of the plastic parts. A dishwasher wouldn't help with the pump
>> since you can't put that in a dishwasher with ruining it. I'd suggest
>> taking a little vinegar mixed with water, dip a q-tip into to, and swab
>> it
>> out with that every time you clean it.
>
> So you're saying the brushes made for the Drinkwell are better to use?
> Maybe I should get that set instead of the set I have. I mean, I think
> I paid all of $5 for the aquarium pump set I bought at Petsmart.

They still don't get into all the nooks and crannies, so if the brushes you
have are working I'd stick with those.

>> > I don't clean the filters; when it gets clogged up with cat hair, I
>> > throw it away and put in a new one.
>>
>> I rinse the hair off, but still replace it every 6 to 8 weeks. Actually,
>> you can run the fountain without the filters.
>
> I know, but I'd rather use the filters even though we use filtered
> water. If a filter just has a little hair on it, I'll wash it off and
> reuse it but I've found the charcoal tends to shift down to the bottom
> of the filter after a while. With the new filters, that wouldn't
> happen.

We don't use filtered water (we use bottled water for everything except
laundry and bathing), so I definitely use the filters (we have very "hard"
water). And yes, the new filters should prevent that.

>> > That plastic "pre-filter" sounds a bit hard to clean, but I guess it
>> > would filter out the occasional bug that lands in the water. Other
>> > than that, I haven't really had any problems in that regard.
>>
>> No, you'd just have to rinse off the large particles and then wash it
>> with
>> warm soapy water and a brush.
>>

>> > Not sure I like that it's a lot bigger. We have ours in a certain
>> > place in the kitchen, where the cats are used to it, and I hope a
>> > bigger one would fit.
>>
>> It's about half again as large from back to front than the original -
>> most
>> of that is the clear water holding tank.
>>
> Okay, if it's not really much wider, but just longer, that would fit.

Yep.

>> > Is the water storage tank removable? I bought the add-on one for the
>> > original Drinkwell, but that one is a separate container so when I
>> > want to clean the unit, I don't really have to dump out all the water
>> > in the container if it's fresh.
>>
>> Yes, it's removable and you could probably get away with not having to
>> wash
>> it. I have 5 cats, though, so the water in the fountain gets pretty
>> grungy
>> even with the filter.
>
> Good. We have three cats but only two of them will drink from it. They
> probably cause more grunge to get into it by galloping past it and up
> the stairs than actual use. One might drop a toy in it once in a
> while.
>

>> > Not sure I like that either, if it's
>> > part of the unit. Seems to me it would make it harder for people to
>> > fill it at the sink, if they need to. Much easier to just take the
>> > separate container and fill it up.
>>
>> > Sounds like it is easier to clean, especially the pump, so that's
>> > good.
>> > -yngver
>>
>> Yeah, someone on another group moved "up" from the original to the
>> platinum
>> and they say it's much easier to clean. He also gave me the link to a
>> place
>> online that sells them the cheapest with pretty low shipping costs as
>> well -
>> let me know if you'd like the link.
>>
>> Hugs,
>>
>> CatNipped
>
> Is it cheaper than the $51.21 on Amazon?
> -yngver

Amazon always ends up charging me an arm and a leg on shipping. You can
check it out here:

http://www.thepamperedpetmart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PDPF&qts=Affiliate&qtk=6W6wrj6g

or

http://tinyurl.com/2bz5kt