PDA

View Full Version : what's wrong with my cat's nails?

Awhit
November 30th 07, 06:08 AM
My neutered cat Tony has always had clean healthy nails. But 5 days ago I
noticed he was limping and not using his front left foot at all. When I
looked at his paw I saw that his dew claw and outer nail were both black and
scabbed over. The next day the other nails on his foot were turning slightly
black. Now his 2 nails are completely gone. I soaked his foot in peroxide and
there are just 2 bloody stumps where his nails used to be. I also noticed
that on his right foot the nails are turning slightly black also! I plan on
bringing him to the vet but I was wondering if anybody knows what this might
be. Is it a nail infection? Or is it a more serious blood or immune disorder?
He also has idiopathic lower urinary tract infection.

Noon Cat Nick
November 30th 07, 08:05 AM
Awhit wrote:

> My neutered cat Tony has always had clean healthy nails. But 5 days ago I
> noticed he was limping and not using his front left foot at all. When I
> looked at his paw I saw that his dew claw and outer nail were both black and
> scabbed over. The next day the other nails on his foot were turning slightly
> black. Now his 2 nails are completely gone. I soaked his foot in peroxide and
> there are just 2 bloody stumps where his nails used to be. I also noticed
> that on his right foot the nails are turning slightly black also! I plan on
> bringing him to the vet but I was wondering if anybody knows what this might
> be. Is it a nail infection? Or is it a more serious blood or immune disorder?
> He also has idiopathic lower urinary tract infection.

This is a new one on me. A web search turned up nothing. Best get Tony
to the vet ASAP, because whatever he has is painful, and it's spreading.

yngver
November 30th 07, 08:01 PM
On Nov 30, 2:05 am, Noon Cat Nick >
wrote:
> Awhit wrote:
> > My neutered cat Tony has always had clean healthy nails. But 5 days ago I
> > noticed he was limping and not using his front left foot at all. When I
> > looked at his paw I saw that his dew claw and outer nail were both black and
> > scabbed over. The next day the other nails on his foot were turning slightly
> > black. Now his 2 nails are completely gone. I soaked his foot in peroxide and
> > there are just 2 bloody stumps where his nails used to be. I also noticed
> > that on his right foot the nails are turning slightly black also! I plan on
> > bringing him to the vet but I was wondering if anybody knows what this might
> > be. Is it a nail infection? Or is it a more serious blood or immune disorder?
> > He also has idiopathic lower urinary tract infection.
>
> This is a new one on me. A web search turned up nothing. Best get Tony
> to the vet ASAP, because whatever he has is painful, and it's spreading.

I agree, this cat needs to be seen by a vet. If more than one nail is
involved, it is apparently something that is spreading, like a fungus,
or a systemic problem. Furthermore, it's obvious if the cat is
limping, that he's in pain. I'd get him to a vet immediately. Let us
know what the vet says and good luck.
-yngver

Awhit via CatKB.com
December 1st 07, 09:04 AM
yngver wrote:
>On Nov 30, 2:05 am, Noon Cat Nick >
>wrote:
>> > My neutered cat Tony has always had clean healthy nails. But 5 days ago I
>> > noticed he was limping and not using his front left foot at all. When I
>[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]
>> This is a new one on me. A web search turned up nothing. Best get Tony
>> to the vet ASAP, because whatever he has is painful, and it's spreading.
>
>I agree, this cat needs to be seen by a vet. If more than one nail is
>involved, it is apparently something that is spreading, like a fungus,
>or a systemic problem. Furthermore, it's obvious if the cat is
>limping, that he's in pain. I'd get him to a vet immediately. Let us
>know what the vet says and good luck.
>-yngver

I'm bringing him to the vet tomorrow morning at 9am. I would have gone sooner
I just havent had the time. Nobody else knows what this is and I also havent
found anything online that sounds similar. I will post tommorrow what the vet
finds out.

kraut
December 1st 07, 02:53 PM

>>>[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]

>>>I agree, this cat needs to be seen by a vet. If more than one nail is
>>>involved, it is apparently something that is spreading, like a fungus,
>>>or a systemic problem. Furthermore, it's obvious if the cat is
>>>limping, that he's in pain. I'd get him to a vet immediately. Let us
>>>know what the vet says and good luck.
>>>-yngver
>>

>> I'm bringing him to the vet tomorrow morning at 9am. I would have gone sooner
>> I just havent had the time.
>
>This is very disturbing. Your cat exhibits symptoms as you described
>and you just don't "have the time" to take him to the vet?

If you (The cat owner) was sick and in pain and had trouble walking
would you "Wait til you had time" to go to the docter?!?!?

IBen Getiner
December 2nd 07, 10:12 AM
On Nov 30, 1:08�am, "Awhit" <[email protected]> wrote:
> My neutered cat Tony has always had clean healthy nails. But 5 days ago I
> noticed he was limping and not using his front left foot at all. When I
> looked at his paw I saw that his dew claw and outer nail were both black and
> scabbed over. The next day the other nails on his foot were turning slightly
> black. Now his 2 nails are completely gone. I soaked his foot in peroxide and
> there are just 2 bloody stumps where his nails used to be. I also noticed
> that on his right foot the nails are turning slightly black also! I plan on
> bringing him to the vet but I was wondering if anybody knows what this might
> be. Is it a nail infection? Or is it a more serious blood or immune disorder?
> He also has idiopathic lower urinary tract infection.

Just have Toby's nails permently removed and you won't ever have to
worry about that problem again. Neither will he.

IBen Getiner

-Lost
December 5th 07, 01:57 AM
Response to IBen Getiner >:

> Just have Toby's nails permently removed and you won't ever have to
> worry about that problem again. Neither will he.

I've a question if you don't mind terribly?

What exactly is the difference between surgically removing a cat's
testicles and surgically removing the tips of a cat's toes?

I just wonder because you vehemently defended a cat's right to keep
its genitalia intact, but now you propose that this owner simply lop
off the ends of their cat's toes. So, on the VERY few occasions that
I honestly thought you MIGHT have a point, am I to realize now that
you are a hypocrite?

Or do you honestly care about my Gabby's testes? If so, why not
Toby's toes?

Thanks for your time, IBen Getiner.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

cybercat
December 5th 07, 02:00 AM
"-Lost" > wrote in message
> Response to IBen Getiner >:
>
>> Just have Toby's nails permently removed and you won't ever have to
>> worry about that problem again. Neither will he.
>
> I've a question if you don't mind terribly?

Do you not get that this asshole is only here to annoy people?

If you notice that your comments are being ignored, don't take it
personally. It just means that you have been killfiled (same as this
asshole who has been around for years and never tried to conceal
his motives) for rising to the bait of a moron.

IBen Getiner
December 5th 07, 04:33 AM
On Dec 4, 8:57 pm, "-Lost" > wrote:
> Response to IBen Getiner >:
>
> > Just have Toby's nails permently removed and you won't ever have to
> > worry about that problem again. Neither will he.
>
> I've a question if you don't mind terribly?

Why no, Lost.... I won't mind. Terribly or otherwise. Always have time
to put a derailed car back on the track...

> What exactly is the difference between surgically removing a cat's
> testicles and surgically removing the tips of a cat's toes?

Because if it's an inside cat, it doesn't need them anymore. Cats use
their claws in a totally indiscriminate manner while they roam about
their territory (in mine's case, that would be my house). Even when
they're simply jumping off the couch and onto the floor. They do a lot
of damage with them, and they don't care. That leaves it up to the
owner of the leather furniture and 1000.00 a-piece speakers to do what
he can to protect his nice things that he has worked so hard for.
Fortunately there is a procedure called 'declawing' which permanently
removes these useless utensils so the cat can't do any more needless
damage.
If I loose you somewhere Lost, don't hesitate to let me know. I'll be
more than happy to elaborated further.

> I just wonder because you vehemently defended a cat's right to keep
> its genitalia intact,

But there is no real need for that if it's an inside animal. Besides,
cats are mammals. And we all know what certain women go thru after a
hysterectomy. Mood swings, hot flashes, heart palpitations. Some feel
down-right miserably and sick. Some are ever suicidal. No need to
visit such cruelty on such a sweet and utterly defenseless animal just
because you don't like being woken up by the sound of tom-cats
fighting in your front yard every once in a while..

> but now you propose that this owner simply lop
> off the ends of their cat's toes.

This is correct. They will forget totally about it in the months to
come after surgery. Ours did.

> So, on the VERY few occasions that
> I honestly thought you MIGHT have a point, am I to realize now that
> you are a hypocrite?
> Or do you honestly care about my Gabby's testes? If so, why not
> Toby's toes?

I might say the same thing about you. Why do you seek to justify the
needless and barbaric procedure of sexual mutilation on a cat, yet at
the same time scorn the removal of a totally useless and very
destructive tool that does NOTHING but keep kitty in big trouble day
after day?

> Thanks for your time, IBen Getiner.

Any time... That's what you're here for.

IBen Getiner

IBen Getiner
December 5th 07, 04:38 AM
On Dec 4, 9:00�pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "-Lost" > wrote in message

> > Response to IBen Getiner >:
>
> >> Just have Toby's nails permently removed and you won't ever have to
> >> worry about that problem again. Neither will he.
>
> > I've a question if you don't mind terribly?
>
> Do you not get that this asshole is only here to annoy people?
>
> If you notice that your comments are being ignored, don't take it
> personally. It just means that you have been killfiled (same as this
> asshole who has been around for years and never tried to conceal
> his motives) for rising to the bait of a moron.

I resent that implication. I am indeed a proud cat owner and I also
like to help others. My posting record stands clear. Besides... I've
been coming here for over five years now and I always get plenty of
their throne and talk to me once in a while...

Thank, Lost. Don't pay these evil women in here any mind. I guarantee
you that none of them have been layed in at least as long as I've been
coming here. I wonder if I had anything to do with that....? LOL...!!

IBen Getiner

jmc
December 5th 07, 11:38 AM
Suddenly, without warning, -Lost exclaimed (12/5/2007 11:27 AM):
> Response to IBen Getiner >:
>
>> Just have Toby's nails permently removed and you won't ever have to
>> worry about that problem again. Neither will he.
>
> I've a question if you don't mind terribly?
>
> What exactly is the difference between surgically removing a cat's
> testicles and surgically removing the tips of a cat's toes?
>
> I just wonder because you vehemently defended a cat's right to keep
> its genitalia intact, but now you propose that this owner simply lop
> off the ends of their cat's toes. So, on the VERY few occasions that
> I honestly thought you MIGHT have a point, am I to realize now that
> you are a hypocrite?
>
> Or do you honestly care about my Gabby's testes? If so, why not
> Toby's toes?
>
> Thanks for your time, IBen Getiner.

Pay no attention to the troll, please. I've killfiled him, as I suspect
many others have. You might consider doing the same.

jmc

Ron Herfurth
December 6th 07, 02:19 PM
So how did things go at the vet?