PDA

View Full Version : Candles on window sill

desgnr
November 30th 07, 05:20 PM
I bought candelabras with single clear bulbs to put on the window sills.
The problem is our cat knocks them over.
I'm looking for a way to secure them.
The window is metal.
The base of the light is tapered & hollow so i can't use velcro.
I really don't want to drill a hole thru the base & have to make a hole in
the metal sill.
The part of the base that sits on the sill is very narrow ( less than 1/8" )
I was wondering if epoxy would hold on such a little area.
Whats your idea ???????

Noon Cat Nick
November 30th 07, 05:28 PM
desgnr wrote:
> I bought candelabras with single clear bulbs to put on the window sills.
> The problem is our cat knocks them over.
> I'm looking for a way to secure them.
> The window is metal.
> The base of the light is tapered & hollow so i can't use velcro.
> I really don't want to drill a hole thru the base & have to make a hole in
> the metal sill.
> The part of the base that sits on the sill is very narrow ( less than 1/8" )
> I was wondering if epoxy would hold on such a little area.
> Whats your idea ???????

Cat repellent.

cybercat
November 30th 07, 07:27 PM
"Noon Cat Nick" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s21...
> desgnr wrote:
>> I bought candelabras with single clear bulbs to put on the window sills.
>> The problem is our cat knocks them over.
>> I'm looking for a way to secure them.
>> The window is metal.
>> The base of the light is tapered & hollow so i can't use velcro.
>> I really don't want to drill a hole thru the base & have to make a hole
>> in
>> the metal sill.
>> The part of the base that sits on the sill is very narrow ( less than
>> 1/8" )
>> I was wondering if epoxy would hold on such a little area.
>> Whats your idea ???????
>
> Cat repellent.

Oh, yes, this is brilliant. You want to have a battle of wills with
your cat about sitting in the window.

Noon Cat Nick
November 30th 07, 09:23 PM
cybercat wrote:
> "Noon Cat Nick" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]_s21...
>
>>desgnr wrote:
>>
>>>I bought candelabras with single clear bulbs to put on the window sills.
>>>The problem is our cat knocks them over.
>>>I'm looking for a way to secure them.
>>>The window is metal.
>>>The base of the light is tapered & hollow so i can't use velcro.
>>>I really don't want to drill a hole thru the base & have to make a hole
>>>in
>>>the metal sill.
>>>The part of the base that sits on the sill is very narrow ( less than
>>>1/8" )
>>>I was wondering if epoxy would hold on such a little area.
>>>Whats your idea ???????
>>
>>Cat repellent.
>

> Oh, yes, this is brilliant. You want to have a battle of wills with
> your cat about sitting in the window.

No. That's why I recommended cat repellent.

cybercat
November 30th 07, 09:29 PM
"Noon Cat Nick" > wrote
>> Oh, yes, this is brilliant. You want to have a battle of wills with
>> your cat about sitting in the window.
>
> No. That's why I recommended cat repellent.

Have you had experience with this?

November 30th 07, 09:56 PM
In article <[email protected]>, says...
> I bought candelabras with single clear bulbs to put on the window sills.
> The problem is our cat knocks them over.
> I'm looking for a way to secure them.
> The window is metal.
> The base of the light is tapered & hollow so i can't use velcro.
> I really don't want to drill a hole thru the base & have to make a hole in
> the metal sill.
> The part of the base that sits on the sill is very narrow ( less than 1/8" )
> I was wondering if epoxy would hold on such a little area.
> Whats your idea ???????

You could glue some heavy cardboard to the bottom of the candles and
then mount the velcro on that.

If all else fails, there's nothing like hot glue.

Noon Cat Nick
November 30th 07, 10:38 PM
cybercat wrote:
> "Noon Cat Nick" > wrote
>
>>>Oh, yes, this is brilliant. You want to have a battle of wills with
>>>your cat about sitting in the window.
>>
>>No. That's why I recommended cat repellent.
>

> Have you had experience with this?

Yes, actually. My cats used to get on the sill and knock off the
bibelots I'd placed on there. I used a citrus-scented repellent; one
jump on the sill and they jumped back off in a few seconds and never
went back. However, I felt bad about it later, so I removed the
trinkets, scrubbed the scent off the sill, and picked up the cats and
placed them on there so that they knew they were welcome to be up there
again.

Regarding the original poster, if they just want the candles up there
during the winter holidays season, that's not so very long to have the
sills be a cat-free zone.

Choosy
November 30th 07, 11:05 PM
Use what museum use - it's like a clay but doesn't ruin item, paint
etc.

MaryL
December 1st 07, 12:25 AM
"desgnr" > wrote in message news:[email protected]
>I bought candelabras with single clear bulbs to put on the window sills.
> The problem is our cat knocks them over.
> I'm looking for a way to secure them.
> The window is metal.
> The base of the light is tapered & hollow so i can't use velcro.
> I really don't want to drill a hole thru the base & have to make a hole in
> the metal sill.
> The part of the base that sits on the sill is very narrow ( less than
> 1/8" )
> I was wondering if epoxy would hold on such a little area.
> Whats your idea ???????

I would not want to epoxy -- not unless you want something that is
*permanent* and will damage the sill. However, I have seen a number of
references to "museum putty." That is a substance that is designed to hold
collectibles and even glassware in place but is easily removed without
causing any damage. If you type "museum putty" in a search engine, you will
probably receive a number of hits. Here is a link to one source:
http://www.aftosa.com/hld1.html

MaryL

Choosy
December 1st 07, 04:02 PM
On Nov 30, 5:25 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
wrote:
> "desgnr" > wrote in messagenews:[email protected]
> >I bought candelabras with single clear bulbs to put on the window sills.
> > The problem is our cat knocks them over.
> > I'm looking for a way to secure them.
> > The window is metal.
> > The base of the light is tapered & hollow so i can't use velcro.
> > I really don't want to drill a hole thru the base & have to make a hole in
> > the metal sill.
> > The part of the base that sits on the sill is very narrow ( less than
> > 1/8" )
> > I was wondering if epoxy would hold on such a little area.
> > Whats your idea ???????
>
> I would not want to epoxy -- not unless you want something that is
> *permanent* and will damage the sill. However, I have seen a number of
> references to "museum putty." That is a substance that is designed to hold
> collectibles and even glassware in place but is easily removed without
> causing any damage. If you type "museum putty" in a search engine, you will
> probably receive a number of hits. Here is a link to one source:http://www.aftosa.com/hld1.html
>
> MaryL

That's what I was referring too - just couldn't remember a brand
name....

cybercat
December 1st 07, 04:11 PM
"Noon Cat Nick" > wrote

> Yes, actually. My cats used to get on the sill and knock off the bibelots
> I'd placed on there. I used a citrus-scented repellent; one jump on the
> sill and they jumped back off in a few seconds and never went back.

Citrus is a powerful repellent. I saw it when I used to wear Alfred
Sung's "Pure," a perfume with a strong citrus scent.

However, I felt bad about it later, so I removed the
> trinkets, scrubbed the scent off the sill, and picked up the cats and
> placed them on there so that they knew they were welcome to be up there
> again.
>
> Regarding the original poster, if they just want the candles up there
> during the winter holidays season, that's not so very long to have the
> sills be a cat-free zone.

Riiight.

I have noticed a correlation between unhappy, confused cats and
the development of habits that make us very unhappy--such as
piles of poop in a shoe or pee in the middle of the bed.

Noon Cat Nick
December 1st 07, 04:51 PM
cybercat wrote:

> "Noon Cat Nick" > wrote
>
>>Yes, actually. My cats used to get on the sill and knock off the bibelots
>>I'd placed on there. I used a citrus-scented repellent; one jump on the
>>sill and they jumped back off in a few seconds and never went back.
>

> Citrus is a powerful repellent. I saw it when I used to wear Alfred
> Sung's "Pure," a perfume with a strong citrus scent.
>
> However, I felt bad about it later, so I removed the
>
>>trinkets, scrubbed the scent off the sill, and picked up the cats and
>>placed them on there so that they knew they were welcome to be up there
>>again.
>>
>>Regarding the original poster, if they just want the candles up there
>>during the winter holidays season, that's not so very long to have the
>>sills be a cat-free zone.
>

> Riiight.
>
> I have noticed a correlation between unhappy, confused cats and
> the development of habits that make us very unhappy--such as
> piles of poop in a shoe or pee in the middle of the bed.

That's a salient point. Didn't happen to me, but cats do have ways of
expressing their displeasure that make for unpleasant situations.
Sometimes a person's gotta choose between their décor/furnishings and
their cats' well-being. In light of that, I'm happy to change my opinion
on this matter and state that the cats should come first.

cybercat
December 1st 07, 08:18 PM
"Noon Cat Nick" > wrote
>> I have noticed a correlation between unhappy, confused cats and
>> the development of habits that make us very unhappy--such as
>> piles of poop in a shoe or pee in the middle of the bed.
>
> That's a salient point. Didn't happen to me, but cats do have ways of
> expressing their displeasure that make for unpleasant situations.
> Sometimes a person's gotta choose between their décor/furnishings and
> their cats' well-being. In light of that, I'm happy to change my opinion
> on this matter and state that the cats should come first.

You're a good egg. :)

Noon Cat Nick
December 1st 07, 08:51 PM
cybercat wrote:

> "Noon Cat Nick" > wrote
>
>>>I have noticed a correlation between unhappy, confused cats and
>>>the development of habits that make us very unhappy--such as
>>>piles of poop in a shoe or pee in the middle of the bed.
>>
>>That's a salient point. Didn't happen to me, but cats do have ways of
>>expressing their displeasure that make for unpleasant situations.
>>Sometimes a person's gotta choose between their décor/furnishings and
>>their cats' well-being. In light of that, I'm happy to change my opinion
>>on this matter and state that the cats should come first.
>

> You're a good egg. :)

Thanks. Of course, even good eggs can have rotten ideas. Oh well...my
cat wants to eat right now, so I'm away.