PDA

View Full Version : Itch Remedy?

Bob
December 5th 07, 02:49 AM
Hi:

Tania and I have this daily routine. I sit in a certain chair, whistle
her tune, and she comes running into my lap. Where she gets brushed,
and groomed. I groom her by hand after the brushing, and do her entire
body, she loves it!

Last week, I noticed a very small hard spot on her left shoulder. I
picked it out, and it was a brown scab. It didn't bother her, and she
let me remove it. A couple of days later, it was back, and I removed
it again. Today, it was back, and I left it alone, but now she has
one in the exact spot on her right shoulder. This one bothers her a
bit, and she complained when I started picking at it.

I noticed she has been scratching both shoulders, and these scabs are
a result of her hinds cutting while she scratches.

Is there an itch remedy which will alleviate this? I went to PetCo,
and looked at their remedies, but saw nothing for itches.

I have this Hydrocortisone Anti-Itch cream which was prescribed for me,
but I don't know if it is appropriate for cats.

Any Ideas?

Bob

--
/"\
\ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign - Motor Vessel Tamara B

honeybunch
December 5th 07, 03:40 AM
On Dec 4, 9:49 pm, Bob > wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Tania and I have this daily routine. I sit in a certain chair, whistle
> her tune, and she comes running into my lap. Where she gets brushed,
> and groomed. I groom her by hand after the brushing, and do her entire
> body, she loves it!
>
> Last week, I noticed a very small hard spot on her left shoulder. I
> picked it out, and it was a brown scab. It didn't bother her, and she
> let me remove it. A couple of days later, it was back, and I removed
> it again. Today, it was back, and I left it alone, but now she has
> one in the exact spot on her right shoulder. This one bothers her a
> bit, and she complained when I started picking at it.
>
> I noticed she has been scratching both shoulders, and these scabs are
> a result of her hinds cutting while she scratches.
>
> Is there an itch remedy which will alleviate this? I went to PetCo,
> and looked at their remedies, but saw nothing for itches.
>
> I have this Hydrocortisone Anti-Itch cream which was prescribed for me,
> but I don't know if it is appropriate for cats.
>
> Any Ideas?
>
> Bob
>
> --
> /"\
> \ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign - Motor Vessel Tamara B
> X against HTML email & vCards - http://www.tamara-b.org
> / \ Tania Our Cathttp://www.tamara-b.org/t4.jpg
> . . http://www.tamara-b.org/t1.jpgt2.jpg t3.jpg

look at it under a magnifying glass. It could be a bug.

-Lost
December 5th 07, 03:54 AM
Response to Bob >:

> Last week, I noticed a very small hard spot on her left shoulder.
> I picked it out, and it was a brown scab. It didn't bother her,
> and she let me remove it. A couple of days later, it was back, and
> I removed it again. Today, it was back, and I left it alone, but
> now she has one in the exact spot on her right shoulder. This one
> bothers her a bit, and she complained when I started picking at
> it.

Um... I could be off here a bit, but why are you picking a scab (if
that is what it is)?

A scab's purpose is to conceal a wound until such time it heals and
the scab naturally falls off due to separation from healthy skin.

The ideal solution, at least to me, seems to be finding a method by
which to alleviate her itching and subsequent scratching. Perhaps a
cortisol agent for cats or even better have you had any medical
opinions on why she is scratching in the first place?

You shouldn't be using any human-prescribed medication to treat an
animal's ailments without extensive knowledge of it's possible
effects. Sounds to me like she may have an allergy of some kind and
putting something foreign and non-prescribed on her could inflame it
or worse.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

IBen Getiner
December 5th 07, 04:06 AM
On Dec 4, 10:54�pm, "-Lost" > wrote:
> Response to Bob >:
>
> > Last week, I noticed a very small hard spot on her left shoulder.
> > I picked it out, and it was a brown scab. It didn't bother her,
> > and she let me remove it. A couple of days later, it was back, and
> > I removed it again. Today, it was back, and I left it alone, but
> > now she has one in the exact spot on her right shoulder. This one
> > bothers her a bit, and she complained when I started picking at
> > it.
>
> Um... I could be off here a bit, but why are you picking a scab (if
> that is what it is)?
>
> A scab's purpose is to conceal a wound until such time it heals and
> the scab naturally falls off due to separation from healthy skin.

Yes, Einstein... But the reason FOR the scab is because he is
ceaselessly scratching. THAT is the point here.

> The ideal solution, at least to me, seems to be finding a method by
> which to alleviate her itching and subsequent scratching. �Perhaps a
> cortisol agent for cats or even better have you had any medical
> opinions on why she is scratching in the first place?

An Elizabethan collar would work best..

> You shouldn't be using any human-prescribed medication to treat an
> animal's ailments without extensive knowledge of it's possible
> effects. �Sounds to me like she may have an allergy of some kind and
> putting something foreign and non-prescribed on her could inflame it
> or worse.

Agreed

IBen Getiner

IBen Getiner
December 5th 07, 04:07 AM
On Dec 4, 9:49�pm, Bob > wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Tania and I have this daily routine. I sit in a certain chair, whistle
> her tune, and she comes running into my lap. Where she gets brushed,
> and groomed. I groom her by hand after the brushing, and do her entire
> body, she loves it!
>
> Last week, I noticed a very small hard spot on her left shoulder. I
> picked it out, and it was a brown scab. It didn't bother her, and she
> let me remove it. A couple of days later, it was back, and I removed
> it again. Today, it was back, and I left it alone, but now she has
> one in the exact spot on her right shoulder. This one bothers her a
> bit, and she complained when I started picking at it.
>
> I noticed she has been scratching both shoulders, and these scabs are
> a result of her hinds cutting while she scratches.
>
> Is there an itch remedy which will alleviate this? �I went to PetCo,
> and looked at their remedies, but saw nothing for itches.
>
> I have this Hydrocortisone Anti-Itch cream which was prescribed for me,
> but I don't know if it is appropriate for cats.
>
> Any Ideas?
>
> Bob
>
> --
> �/"\
> �\ / � �ASCII Ribbon Campaign � � � �- �Motor Vessel Tamara B
> � X � against HTML email & vCards � �- �http://www.tamara-b.org
> �/ \ � � � �Tania Our Cathttp://www.tamara-b.org/t4.jpg
> . � . � � �http://www.tamara-b.org/t1.jpgt2.jpg t3.jpg

Try an Elizabethan collar, Rob. They've worked wonders for a lot of
critters.

IBen Getiner

Bob
December 5th 07, 04:42 AM
On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 20:07:13 -0800 (PST) IBen Getiner Said In Re: Itch
Remedy?

| Try an Elizabethan collar, Rob. They've worked wonders for a lot of
| critters.

It doesn't look like that collar would much. She scratches her shoulder
with her hind feet, That collar seems designed to stop licking/biting.

Bob

--
/"\
\ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign - Motor Vessel Tamara B
X against HTML email & vCards - http://www.tamara-b.org
/ \ Tania Our Cat http://www.tamara-b.org/t4.jpg
.. . http://www.tamara-b.org/t1.jpg t2.jpg t3.jpg

Bob
December 5th 07, 04:47 AM
On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 21:54:32 -0600 -Lost Said In Re: Itch Remedy?

| Um... I could be off here a bit, but why are you picking a scab (if
| that is what it is)?

I wanted to identify what it was. At first I thought it may have a
parasite. So I picked it off, and looked at it carefully with a
magnifying glass. But it was so broken up, and matted with fluff, that I
could not positively identify it. The next picking was more productive,
it was definitely scab blood.

Bob

--
/"\
\ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign - Motor Vessel Tamara B
X against HTML email & vCards - http://www.tamara-b.org
/ \ Tania Our Cat http://www.tamara-b.org/t4.jpg
.. . http://www.tamara-b.org/t1.jpg t2.jpg t3.jpg

Bob
December 5th 07, 04:58 AM
On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 21:54:32 -0600 -Lost Said In Re: Itch Remedy?

| The ideal solution, at least to me, seems to be finding a method by
| which to alleviate her itching and subsequent scratching.

Agree.

|Perhaps a cortisol agent for cats or even better have you had any
|medical opinions on why she is scratching in the first place?

That's why I thought of this Hydrocortisone I have, it is a "cortisol
agent"; but no, I have had no medical opinions. I tend to stay away
from doctors, and especially for Tania, she gets her yearly checkup,
and shots, I hate to bring her to the vet, where she can come into
contact with some disease.Since we live on a trawler, Tania is strictly
an indoor cat, NEVER goes outside. I am very protective of her, she is
my special baby girl ;-)

| You shouldn't be using any human-prescribed medication to treat an
| animal's ailments without extensive knowledge of it's possible
| effects.

I know. Perhaps a phone call to her vet, and some advice over the phone.

| Sounds to me like she may have an allergy of some kind and

Possibly, but nothing in her environment has changed over the past 5
years, so I doubt it. Also, these 2 small spots are the only ones on
her entire body.

Bob

--
/"\
\ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign - Motor Vessel Tamara B
X against HTML email & vCards - http://www.tamara-b.org
/ \ Tania Our Cat http://www.tamara-b.org/t4.jpg
.. . http://www.tamara-b.org/t1.jpg t2.jpg t3.jpg

-Lost
December 5th 07, 09:20 AM
Response to Bob >:

> On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 20:07:13 -0800 (PST) IBen Getiner Said In Re:
> Itch Remedy?
>
>| Try an Elizabethan collar, Rob. They've worked wonders for a lot
>| of critters.
>
> It doesn't look like that collar would much. She scratches her
> shoulder with her hind feet, That collar seems designed to stop
> licking/biting.

Not to mention aside from masking your current problem it serves no
purpose in correcting this situation.

I saw that you mentioned you live on a trawler and that the kitty's
environment hasn't changed. Isn't there something whereby constant
sea spray or something can cause small lesions? Salt buildup or
something like that? Scurvy?

OK, maybe not the last one...

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

jmc
December 5th 07, 11:41 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Bob exclaimed (12/5/2007 2:28 PM):
> On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 21:54:32 -0600 -Lost Said In Re: Itch Remedy?
>
> | Sounds to me like she may have an allergy of some kind and
>
> Possibly, but nothing in her environment has changed over the past 5
> years, so I doubt it. Also, these 2 small spots are the only ones on
> her entire body.
>
> Bob

Doesn't matter. Just like people, cats can suddenly get allergies to
things they had no problem with in the past.

jmc