PDA

View Full Version : Poinsetta's

desgnr
December 8th 07, 03:18 PM
Are Poinsettas dangerous to cat's ?

Psipsini
December 8th 07, 03:35 PM
I believe they are, but have a low toxicity.
how much did your cat eat? It can be very irritating to the stomach
and your cat might throw it up.
You should call your vet and confirm.

bookie
December 8th 07, 08:44 PM
On 8 Dec, 15:18, "desgnr" > wrote:
> Are Poinsettas dangerous to cat's ?

yes, as are lilies, or at least the pollen is and some cats in this
country have actually died after ingesting it.

there are quite a few plants which are dangerous to cats but i can't
remember which ones

bookie

yngver
December 9th 07, 03:56 AM
On Dec 8, 9:18 am, "desgnr" > wrote:
> Are Poinsettas dangerous to cat's ?

No, they are not. Your cat might vomit after chewing on one, however,
because the sap cam be an irritant.

Every year the American Florist Society puts out a press release to
try to put to death this persistent rumor that poinsettias are
poisonous, yet in a survey only 16 percent of Americans knew that
poinsettias are non-toxic.

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/p/poinsettias.htm
http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/poinsettia.asp
http://www.landsteward.org/page.cfm/21187

-yngver

yngver
December 9th 07, 03:59 AM
On Dec 8, 2:44 pm, bookie > wrote:
> On 8 Dec, 15:18, "desgnr" > wrote:
>
> > Are Poinsettas dangerous to cat's ?
>
> yes, as are lilies, or at least the pollen is and some cats in this
> country have actually died after ingesting it.

In which country? In the U.S. at least, from what I have read there
has never been a documented case of a pet or human being dying from
eating poinsettia. Researchers at Ohio State University have measured
the effects of ingesting unusually high doses of all parts of the
plant by rats, and found the plants to be non-toxic.
-yngver

Stan Brown
December 9th 07, 02:04 PM
Sat, 08 Dec 2007 15:18:52 GMT from desgnr >:
> Are Poinsettas dangerous to cat's ?

Dangerous to a cat's *what*?

If you mean dangerous to cats (plural), then I believe the answer is
yes.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/