PDA

View Full Version : New kitten in the house chases older cats!

Jana
December 8th 07, 05:50 PM
I wonder if anyone there can share stories or give me some
encouragement in a situation that I'm finding quite distressing.

I live in Edmonton, Canada. One evening two weeks ago in a cold snap
with temperatures going down to -20C that night, a very friendly cat
ran up to me in the parking lot of our condominium complex. She was
wearing an extremely worn harness but had no obvious ID. Thinking
that she must belong to someone in the complex or the nearby
neighborhood, I let her follow me home, then put out notices in our
complex and the neighborhood, placed an ad in the local paper, and put
up a picture and description on our humane society's lost and found
website, had her checked at the vet for a chip/tattoo. Not a single
call, no ID, nothing so far!

I figure this kitten is about 8 months old. She's extremely well
socialized with people, loves humans, even small children, plays
gently with me, and is in general a really nice cat.

However, whenever she sees either of my two older cats, 11 and 13,
also female, she chases her with all her might until she traps her
somewhere and then they fight. My cats find all this terrifying.
I've been separating them for most of the day, with the new cat in a
large room with litter box, bedding, a nice window ledge, food, water,
toys, etc., the door open a crack so the cats can smell each other if
they want. She doesn't seem to mind being in the room, and my cats
immediately relax and go about their normal behaviour when they know
she's in there. She's a kitten, though, and has a lot of energy and
needs to run around. Until she actually sees the other cat, she just
plays with toys and explores. My cats have never attacked the new
cat. Everybody is using the litterbox, eating, and behaving normally
when separated, so the situation is not dire but it is stressful for
us all.

I think she's (mostly) trying to play, but there is also some real
aggression there. She doesn't invite play by rolling over or holding
up a paw, just gives a long straight-on stare and charges. If my cats
stay quiet and still generally she'll leave them alone, but the minute
they move, they're prey.

Will this behaviour ever stop? When? I like this cat, and would keep
her, but feel cruel confining her in the room so much and cruel to my
cats for subjecting them to this abuse/rough play. My cats have got
to the point where they'll sit very still and watch the new cat when
they're together, but they are clearly afraid to move (with good
reason!).

Can anyone here give me some comfort or advice?

Many thanks,

Psipsini
December 8th 07, 07:14 PM
This sounds very familiar!

RED was about 2 when we brought MaryTodd into the house who then was
only 6 months old.
It was exactly what you described! Little MaryTodd would chase the
older RED all over the house. I was really worried that she'd do some
real harm. And poor RED would run and hide and hiss (something I'd
only ever heard her do when getting a shot at the vet)!

I can tell you it does get better. MaryTodd is now 1 year old and has
calmed down quite a bit. They sleep together now, something that I
never thought would happen! There are still times that she'll hunt
and chase RED, but usually only once a day, right before we go to
bed : )

Some of it is just time for kitty to mature, or time for your older
cats to get used to the little one.
One thing that was really important was making sure the kitten had
enough play time. exhaust that little one and she'll be less likely
to play/attack your older cats. Also try keeping them in seperate
rooms and reintroducing them little by little --that might make a
difference.

Best of luck to you!