PDA

View Full Version : Small, southern hemisphere cat seen on Discovery channel,, can anyone ID?

Brian Link
December 11th 07, 02:52 AM
There was a show on Discovery or the History channel LATE last night.
It was ostensibly about trees, but they discussed the various wildlife
that live underneath the canopy.

Somewhere in a lower latitude they came across an elusive wildcat that
was pegged as "smallest in the world". Adults weigh only 5 pounds. The
second thing I thought (the first being "awww.. look how cute it is
ripping that bird's head off") was, "I wonder if anyone's tried to
crossbreed them like Savannahs or Bengals".

If anyone saw that show or knows what beast I'm talking about, I'd
love to find some online pics. It looked like a mini-bobcat, iirc.

Thanks

BLink
--------------------------
"The worst thing about censorship is [redacted]"

Brian Link
December 12th 07, 04:55 AM
On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 18:56:53 -0600, "-Lost"
> wrote:

>Response to Brian Link >:
>
>> There was a show on Discovery or the History channel LATE last
>> night. It was ostensibly about trees, but they discussed the
>> various wildlife that live underneath the canopy.
>>
>> Somewhere in a lower latitude they came across an elusive wildcat
>> that was pegged as "smallest in the world". Adults weigh only 5
>> pounds. The second thing I thought (the first being "awww.. look
>> how cute it is ripping that bird's head off") was, "I wonder if
>> anyone's tried to crossbreed them like Savannahs or Bengals".
>>
>> If anyone saw that show or knows what beast I'm talking about, I'd
>> love to find some online pics. It looked like a mini-bobcat, iirc.
>
>Mr. Peebles? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_NGPrIgDbk (joke)
>
>http://www.strangezoo.com/content/item/110746.html (joke)
>
>Seriously though:
>
>http://images.google.com/images?q=Kodkod
>...also known as...
>http://images.google.com/images?q=Guigna
>
>Or perhaps the Black Footed Cat (I see Alice beat me to it):
>http://images.google.com/images?q=Black-Footed%20Cat
>http://messybeast.com/small-wildcats.htm
>
>I believe the Black-Footed Cat is the "official" smallest wildcat.
>Not totally sure though.

Thanks, -Lost! The Kodkod is the kitty I saw!

BLink
--------------------------
"The worst thing about censorship is [redacted]"

Alice[_2_]
December 12th 07, 10:49 PM
Black footed cat? If so, the female can weight only 2 lbs. The males
are 5 lbs. I think they live in South Africa...

A.

-Lost
December 13th 07, 12:56 AM

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

-Lost
December 13th 07, 01:01 AM
Response to "-Lost" >:

> Mr. Peebles? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_NGPrIgDbk (joke)

Oh, it appears Mr. Peebles has some competition in Heed.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?
in_article_id=399766&in_page_id=1770

--
-Lost