PDA

View Full Version : Poor Gabby, he ate some Ranitidine.

-Lost
December 12th 07, 01:13 PM
Poor Gabby, he ate some Ranitidine. As I shook one out into my hand it
fell to the floor and leave it to my pet tiger to leap on it and
swallow it in a flash -- it was odd to say the least, but the kind I
have don't have a nasty taste (at first) so I guess that was the green
flag?

Poor guy, he's defecated probably 8 times in the last 16 or so hours.
It's hell on my sleep, but I cannot possibly leave him kenneled and
allow him to have to sit in filth until I come to.

I wonder how long this might last? I've actually never heard of it
causing such active bowel movements and for so long a period.

Needless to say, I'm pushing the canned food and liquids.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

CatNipped[_2_]
December 12th 07, 01:29 PM
"-Lost" > wrote in message
> Poor Gabby, he ate some Ranitidine. As I shook one out into my hand it
> fell to the floor and leave it to my pet tiger to leap on it and
> swallow it in a flash -- it was odd to say the least, but the kind I
> have don't have a nasty taste (at first) so I guess that was the green
> flag?
>
> Poor guy, he's defecated probably 8 times in the last 16 or so hours.
> It's hell on my sleep, but I cannot possibly leave him kenneled and
> allow him to have to sit in filth until I come to.
>
> I wonder how long this might last? I've actually never heard of it
> causing such active bowel movements and for so long a period.
>
> Needless to say, I'm pushing the canned food and liquids.
>
> --
> -Lost
> kidding. No I am not.

Ranitidine is routinely given to cats for stomach problems, just not in
human dosage. I doubt he'll have any long term after effects once it works
through his system. If he's still having diarrhea after another 8 hours I'd
call the vet - they might want to give him some SubQ fluids.

Hugs,

CatNipped

-Lost
December 12th 07, 01:51 PM
Response to "CatNipped" >:

> Ranitidine is routinely given to cats for stomach problems, just
> not in human dosage. I doubt he'll have any long term after
> effects once it works through his system. If he's still having
> diarrhea after another 8 hours I'd call the vet - they might want
> to give him some SubQ fluids.

Thanks for the information.

Believe it or not, he's not experiencing full-blown diarrhea.

The vet tech had already suggested subcutaneous liquid treatment if I
felt Gabby was becoming dehydrated so I did a little research to see
if there was anything in particular I should look out for.

I came up with a question.

Does this kitty appear to be anesthetized whatsoever?
http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/cat_fluids.asp

But so far so good... Gabby is still crazy-bouncing-off-the-walls-
Gabby -- with a nice heaping of, "Uh oh... gotta' go!"-Gabby every
couple hours.

Something else that struck me as funny is you mentioned not in human
dosages -- I asked the vet tech if it was a concern since it was
75mg. She said that yes it was extremely high and I should keep an
eye out, but then said Zantac is frequently given to cats to aid
passing.

Umm... Zantac has the exact same damn amount of Ranitidine... I
sometimes feel like the vet (and the techs) is playing an ad-lib game
with me.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

CatNipped[_2_]
December 12th 07, 02:52 PM
"-Lost" > wrote in message
> Response to "CatNipped" >:
>
>> Ranitidine is routinely given to cats for stomach problems, just
>> not in human dosage. I doubt he'll have any long term after
>> effects once it works through his system. If he's still having
>> diarrhea after another 8 hours I'd call the vet - they might want
>> to give him some SubQ fluids.
>
> Thanks for the information.
>
> Believe it or not, he's not experiencing full-blown diarrhea.
>
> The vet tech had already suggested subcutaneous liquid treatment if I
> felt Gabby was becoming dehydrated so I did a little research to see
> if there was anything in particular I should look out for.
>
> I came up with a question.
>
> Does this kitty appear to be anesthetized whatsoever?
> http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/cat_fluids.asp

No. If this cat had SubQ before, s/he probably wasn't upset at all with the
process - some actually look forward to it since it makes them feel so much
better after it's done. But cats, in general, have a very high threshhold
for pain (and they *WON'T* show pain unless in extremities - predators can
never show weakness), so a small stick with a needle is not as traumatizing
for a cat as it is for a child (and cats can't "anticipate" the pain from
the needle like a child can, so it's not as upsetting).

Side note if you're having to medicate a cat: "scruffing" a cat causes
endorphins to be released in their brains which helps inhibit pain. Also,
they will instinctively become very still and limp when scruffed (but don't
ever pick a cat up by the scruff, even their mother doesn't do it that way,
she gently puts her mouth around the back of the neck and uses the neck
muscles and spine for support).

> But so far so good... Gabby is still crazy-bouncing-off-the-walls-
> Gabby -- with a nice heaping of, "Uh oh... gotta' go!"-Gabby every
> couple hours.

Oh, then that's not a problem. Unless the stool is very watery and he is
eliminating ever 10 - 15 minutes, he should be just fine.

> Something else that struck me as funny is you mentioned not in human
> dosages -- I asked the vet tech if it was a concern since it was
> 75mg. She said that yes it was extremely high and I should keep an
> eye out, but then said Zantac is frequently given to cats to aid
> passing.
>
> Umm... Zantac has the exact same damn amount of Ranitidine... I
> sometimes feel like the vet (and the techs) is playing an ad-lib game
> with me.

Never heard of it being used in the euthanasia process. Are you sure she
wasn't talking about Xanax which is used for anxiety and relaxes a cat prior
to the final injection? Zantac is the brand name of Ranitidine (the generic
name). Ranitidine is used for cats with upset stomachs (as it is in
humans), but in much smaller doses.

Hugs,

CatNipped

> --
> -Lost
> kidding. No I am not.

CatNipped[_2_]
December 12th 07, 03:41 PM
"cindys" > wrote in message

> "CatNipped" > wrote in message
>> "-Lost" > wrote in message
>
> snip
>

>>> Something else that struck me as funny is you mentioned not in human
>>> dosages -- I asked the vet tech if it was a concern since it was
>>> 75mg. She said that yes it was extremely high and I should keep an
>>> eye out, but then said Zantac is frequently given to cats to aid
>>> passing.
>>>
>>> Umm... Zantac has the exact same damn amount of Ranitidine... I
>>> sometimes feel like the vet (and the techs) is playing an ad-lib game
>>> with me.
>>
>> Never heard of it being used in the euthanasia process.
> --------
> When she said "aid passing," I think she meant aid in passing poop, not
> aid in passing to the bridge.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

LOL! Oops, see how confusing using euphemisms can get!?? ;>

Hugs,

CatNipped

>>Are you sure she wasn't talking about Xanax which is used for anxiety and
>>relaxes a cat prior to the final injection? Zantac is the brand name of
>>Ranitidine (the generic name). Ranitidine is used for cats with upset
>>stomachs (as it is in humans), but in much smaller doses.
>>
>> Hugs,
>>
>> CatNipped
>>

>>> --
>>> -Lost
>>> Remove the extra words to reply by e-mail. Don't e-mail me. I am
>>> kidding. No I am not.

-Lost
December 13th 07, 12:39 AM
Response to "CatNipped" >:

>>> Never heard of it being used in the euthanasia process.
>> --------
>> When she said "aid passing," I think she meant aid in passing
>> poop, not aid in passing to the bridge.
>> Best regards,
>> ---Cindy S.
>
> LOL! Oops, see how confusing using euphemisms can get!?? ;>

Ack! Thanks, Cindy!

CatNipped, I was just getting to respond with, "What are YOU talking
about?!"

Sorry!

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

-Lost
December 13th 07, 02:26 PM
Response to "-Lost" >:

> CatNipped, I was just getting to respond with, "What are YOU talking
> about?!"

Getting? Ugh, I mean "going." Sorry (again)!

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

CatNipped[_2_]
December 13th 07, 06:55 PM
"-Lost" > wrote in message
> Response to "-Lost" >:
>
>> CatNipped, I was just getting to respond with, "What are YOU talking
>> about?!"
>
> Getting? Ugh, I mean "going." Sorry (again)!
>
> --
> -Lost
> kidding. No I am not.

Hey, you're not even *close* to the mistress of typos (yours truly)! ;>

Hugs,

CatNipped