PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding Death from Dentistry

December 12th 07, 09:19 PM
Older cat, about 9 years, with URI, chronic, incurable, has had for
many years. Now needs dental work-has a toothache and has already had
several of it's teeth pulled with previous owner. What questions
should I ask in choosing a vet to work on this cat's teeth. What
preliminary bloodwork needs to be done to determine advisability of
anesthetic procedure? What is the approximate cost in doing a pre-op
evaluation on this cat? What is the approximate cost range would you
estimate in doing a tooth cleaning for this cat? Thanks for any on
point, helpful replies.

Rene S.
December 13th 07, 10:39 PM
wrote:
> Older cat, about 9 years, with URI, chronic, incurable, has had for
> many years. Now needs dental work-has a toothache and has already had
> several of it's teeth pulled with previous owner. What questions
> should I ask in choosing a vet to work on this cat's teeth. What
> preliminary bloodwork needs to be done to determine advisability of
> anesthetic procedure? What is the approximate cost in doing a pre-op
> evaluation on this cat? What is the approximate cost range would you
> estimate in doing a tooth cleaning for this cat? Thanks for any on
> point, helpful replies.

I can't answer all of your questions, but I can probably help you a
little.

Your cat will need a full blood panel before he gets any work done,
specifically to check the kidney and liver values. A blood panel can
cost from $50-90, depending on your location and what is being
checked. Ask the vet what kind of anistetic (sp) he uses; I believe
isoflourine is the better option. If the cat already has some tooth
trouble, the vet should put him on antibiotics before and after the
procedure to prevent infection. The last time I had a dental done,
about two years ago, it cost about $130, excluding antibiotics. The
cost can vary if he needs extractions.

If you have any doubt at all, get another opinion at a different vet's
office.

Rene S.
December 14th 07, 05:06 PM
> My vet (who is not so far out of line, price-wise, with what I've read here
> in the past) is much more expensive than yours. The full blood panel is more
> in the neighborhood of the $150 range. The dental itself is more in the
> $300+ range (includes some extractions). I agree about the antibiotics if
> there is bad periodontal disease present. The bulk of the cost of the
> procedure is for the OR, the anesthesia, etc. more so than the number of
> extractions. I'm not trying to be argumentative here. I just don't want the
> OP to be in for a rude awakening if his vet's prices are more reflective of
> my vet's prices than yours. The vet should definitely give him at least a
> ballpark estimate in advance.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

That's the difficulty in asking for price ranges--they can vary so
much depending on your area. :) Yes, please ask for an estimate in
advance. The vet can even break down the prices (x for procedure, x
cost per extractions, etc.) for you beforehand.

mann
December 15th 07, 12:44 AM
"Rene S." > wrote in
:

> wrote:

>> Older cat, about 9 years, with URI, chronic, incurable, has had for
>> many years. Now needs dental work-has a toothache and has already had
>> several of it's teeth pulled with previous owner. What questions
>> should I ask in choosing a vet to work on this cat's teeth. What
>> preliminary bloodwork needs to be done to determine advisability of
>> anesthetic procedure? What is the approximate cost in doing a pre-op
>> evaluation on this cat? What is the approximate cost range would you
>> estimate in doing a tooth cleaning for this cat? Thanks for any on
>> point, helpful replies.

Good reply from Rene. Many offer a base price of around $250,but then
they don't tell you about all the add ons. Check if the do IV, pain
meds, polishing, what type of anesthesia monitoring they do. Ask to see
their facility. If they won't allow that go to someone else as they are
probably trying to hide something.