PDA

View Full Version : How to keep them off counters?

ensoul
December 13th 07, 03:30 AM
I've posted abt my problems with Moe & Rudy here before...I hate to
give them up...I love them both and they are very loving cats

they're smart guys, when Rick, my husband died..I was basket case.
sobbing all the time..I couldn't even say their names I used the hand
signal for come here and they always did...also if they weren't in the
room when I was crying they'd both come running to see me

they were the last thing (for lack of a better word) that Rick and I
got together...Tera, my therapist things it's very bad ideal for me to
give them away since they do make me smile, even though they are wild
guys

like I said they're smart...so I should be able to train them

I want to keep off kitchen counters (they didn't use to go on them)
off the sink, and stove

also stop them from doing flying jump thing...they do to get on
something that's banned, like on top of my bookcase which now has
Christmas decorations on it and after that family...they're only
banned from the bookcase and one stand that has knickknacks on
it...like I said before that they didn't do it

yes cats can be trained...I don't want them trained for just for when
I'm around, either

my daughter says to give a swat but I've never ever hit a cat and I'm
not abt to start...if I make loud noises it stops them then but not
when I'm gone

I appreciate all suggestions

Lynn

I worry that the person who thought up Muzak may be
thinking up something else.
~Lily Tomlin

Noon Cat Nick
December 13th 07, 05:18 AM
ensoul wrote:
> I've posted abt my problems with Moe & Rudy here before...I hate to
> give them up...I love them both and they are very loving cats
>
> they're smart guys, when Rick, my husband died..I was basket case.
> sobbing all the time..I couldn't even say their names I used the hand
> signal for come here and they always did...also if they weren't in the
> room when I was crying they'd both come running to see me
>
> they were the last thing (for lack of a better word) that Rick and I
> got together...Tera, my therapist things it's very bad ideal for me to
> give them away since they do make me smile, even though they are wild
> guys
>
> like I said they're smart...so I should be able to train them
>
> I want to keep off kitchen counters (they didn't use to go on them)
> off the sink, and stove
>
> also stop them from doing flying jump thing...they do to get on
> something that's banned, like on top of my bookcase which now has
> Christmas decorations on it and after that family...they're only
> banned from the bookcase and one stand that has knickknacks on
> it...like I said before that they didn't do it
>
> yes cats can be trained...I don't want them trained for just for when
> I'm around, either
>
> my daughter says to give a swat but I've never ever hit a cat and I'm
> not abt to start...if I make loud noises it stops them then but not
> when I'm gone
>
> I appreciate all suggestions

http://www.kingcounty.gov/safety/AnimalServices/pettips/cattips/jumping.aspx

-Lost
December 13th 07, 03:20 PM
Response to Noon Cat Nick >:

> http://www.kingcounty.gov/safety/AnimalServices/pettips/cattips/jum
> ping.aspx

That is definitely a clever idea. Allow the environment to discourage
kitty and not any chiding from the slave... er... owner. Makes sense.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

Rene S.
December 13th 07, 04:13 PM
y daughter says to give a swat but I've never ever hit a cat and I'm
> not abt to start...if I make loud noises it stops them then but not
> when I'm gone

NO, you are right. Do not hit these cats or use a water bottle.

Do they have a cat tree they can climb and some other perches of their
own? If they have their own furniture they are less likely to use
yours.

To keep them off the counters or other areas, use a plastic carpet
runner and put it wrong side up. This is an inexpensive, safe way to
stop them, as they won't like walking on the prickly surface.

Do you play with them each day? It sounds like they have a lot of
energy that needs to be released. You can use wand toys or something
like the Cat Dancer to interact with them. If they are tired, they are
less likely to get into trouble.

bobblespin[_2_]
December 13th 07, 04:21 PM
ensoul > wrote in news:4f2b4773-28ae-4e3b-8d73-
:

snip
> I want to keep off kitchen counters (they didn't use to go on them)
> off the sink, and stove
>
> also stop them from doing flying jump thing...they do to get on
> something that's banned, like on top of my bookcase which now has
> Christmas decorations on it and after that family...they're only
> banned from the bookcase and one stand that has knickknacks on
> it...like I said before that they didn't do it
>
> yes cats can be trained...I don't want them trained for just for when
> I'm around, either
>
> my daughter says to give a swat but I've never ever hit a cat and I'm
> not abt to start...if I make loud noises it stops them then but not
> when I'm gone
>
> I appreciate all suggestions
>
> Lynn

I've found two-way sticky tape works wonders - cats hate touching it and it
works for you while you're not there.

Bobble

ensoul
December 13th 07, 08:16 PM
On Dec 13, 10:13�am, "Rene S." > wrote:
> y daughter says to give a swat but I've never ever hit a cat and I'm
>
> > not abt to start...if I make loud noises it stops them then but not
> > when I'm gone
>
> NO, you are right. Do not hit these cats or use a water bottle.
>
> Do they have a cat tree they can climb and some other perches of their
> own? If they have their own furniture they are less likely to use
> yours.
>
> To keep them off the counters or other areas, use a plastic carpet
> runner and put it wrong side up. This is an inexpensive, safe way to
> stop them, as they won't like walking on the prickly surface.
>
> Do you play with them each day? It sounds like they have a lot of
> energy that needs to be released. �You can use wand toys or something
> like the Cat Dancer to interact with them. If they are tired, they are
> less likely to get into trouble.

they have a tall cat tree with 2 places they can rest on it has tall
straching post and tube they can get in...I put it in front of a
window they love it, also have a...don't what it's called got it at
Walmart..has 3 cubes..two on the bottom one on top and it has sling.
they use that alot too

I can't have anything near where they want to get on...ex there other
straching post Moe was on it and jumped to the top of my book case

I do need to play with them more but my chronic pain interfers...after
Xmas going to order Da Bird for them...when I play with them Moe gets
left behind...Rudy plays dominate cat but thats not all time, only
when we play

by plastic carpet runners...you mean the type that on the bottom it
has little prong type thingies?

and is that the part you put on top? prongs faced up? do you tape
them to the counters?

thanks for all the suggestions

lynn

He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes
wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
~Douglas Adams

ensoul
December 13th 07, 08:20 PM
On Dec 13, 10:21�am, bobblespin > wrote:
> ensoul > wrote in news:4f2b4773-28ae-4e3b-8d73-
> :
>
> snip
>

> > I want to keep off kitchen counters (they didn't use to go on them)
> > off the sink, and stove
>
> > also stop them from doing flying jump thing...they do to get on
> > something that's banned, like on top of my bookcase which now has
> > Christmas decorations on it and after that family...they're only
> > banned from the bookcase and one stand that has knickknacks on
> > it...like I said before that they didn't do it
>
> > yes cats can be trained...I don't want them trained for just for when
> > I'm around, either
>
> > my daughter says to give a swat but I've never ever hit a cat and I'm
> > not abt to start...if I make loud noises it stops them then but not
> > when I'm gone
>
> > I appreciate all suggestions
>
> > Lynn
>
> I've found two-way sticky tape works wonders - cats hate touching it and it
> works for you while you're not there.
>
> Bobble- Hide quoted text -

Bobbie the only type I can find is very narrow....I would have to
cover all counter space with it

I used contact paper on one stand the sticky part wears down quickly &
they check it out every day (see what I mean abt being smart) : )

they're big cats weighing in at 16lbs and very long, often they get on
their hind legs...they can reach things that way...but they use to get
my attention...I was on the phone and Rudy stood up on his hind legs
and started patting my butt ..LOL....they 30 inches long!

thanks Bobbie

Lynn

He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes
wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
~Douglas Adams

Rene S.
December 13th 07, 10:35 PM
> by plastic carpet runners...you mean the type that on the bottom it
> has little prong type thingies?
>
> and is that the part you put on top? prongs faced up? do you tape
> them to the counters?

Yes, those kind with the prongs facing up so when they walk on them it
feels prickly. You don't need to tape them. Just lay them on the
counters or anywhere you don't want them to walk. When you want to use
the counter, just take the runner off.

-Lost
December 13th 07, 11:23 PM
Response to "Rene S." >:

>> by plastic carpet runners...you mean the type that on the bottom
>> it has little prong type thingies?
>>
>> and is that the part you put on top? prongs faced up? do you
>> tape them to the counters?
>
> Yes, those kind with the prongs facing up so when they walk on
> them it feels prickly. You don't need to tape them. Just lay them
> on the counters or anywhere you don't want them to walk. When you
> want to use the counter, just take the runner off.

Although I think this is a perfect solution, it may not be in this
situation.

More than once she has mentioned that they take flying leaps to reach
what they want, so unless they make those things differently than
what my mother had years, and years ago -- they hurt!

I couldn't imagine how a large(ish) 16 pounder would feel after
landing on it after taking a running jump to reach it.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

blkcatgal
December 14th 07, 01:21 AM
>I couldn't imagine how a large(ish) 16 pounder would feel after
> landing on it after taking a running jump to reach it.

It would only take landing on it once and the 16 lb'er probably never would
try it again! Would solve ensoul's problem.

S.

"-Lost" > wrote in message
> Response to "Rene S." >:
>
>>> by plastic carpet runners...you mean the type that on the bottom
>>> it has little prong type thingies?
>>>
>>> and is that the part you put on top? prongs faced up? do you
>>> tape them to the counters?
>>
>> Yes, those kind with the prongs facing up so when they walk on
>> them it feels prickly. You don't need to tape them. Just lay them
>> on the counters or anywhere you don't want them to walk. When you
>> want to use the counter, just take the runner off.
>
> Although I think this is a perfect solution, it may not be in this
> situation.
>
> More than once she has mentioned that they take flying leaps to reach
> what they want, so unless they make those things differently than
> what my mother had years, and years ago -- they hurt!
>
> I couldn't imagine how a large(ish) 16 pounder would feel after
> landing on it after taking a running jump to reach it.
>
> --
> -Lost
> kidding. No I am not.

cybercat
December 14th 07, 02:20 AM
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
. ..
> >I couldn't imagine how a large(ish) 16 pounder would feel after
>> landing on it after taking a running jump to reach it.
>
> It would only take landing on it once and the 16 lb'er probably never
> would try it again! Would solve ensoul's problem.
>
> S.

lol sue

IBen Getiner
December 14th 07, 01:36 PM
On Dec 12, 9:30�pm, ensoul > wrote:
> I've posted abt my problems with Moe & Rudy here before...I hate to
> give them up...I love them both and they are very loving cats
>
> they're smart guys, when Rick, my husband died..I was basket case.
> sobbing all the time..I couldn't even say their names I used the hand
> signal for come here and they always did...also if they weren't in the
> room when I was crying they'd both come running to see me
>
> they were the last thing (for lack of a better word) that Rick and I
> got together...Tera, my therapist things it's very bad ideal for me to
> give them away since they do make me smile, even though they are wild
> guys
>
> like I said they're smart...so I should be able to train them
>
> I want to keep off kitchen counters (they didn't use to go on them)
> off the sink, and stove
>
> also stop them from doing flying jump thing...they do to get on
> something that's banned, like on top of my bookcase which now has
> Christmas decorations on it and after that family...they're only
> banned from the bookcase and one stand that has knickknacks on
> it...like I said before that they didn't do it
>
> yes cats can be trained...I don't want them trained for just for when
> I'm around, either
>
> my daughter says to give a swat but I've never ever hit a cat and I'm
> not abt to start...if I make loud noises it stops them then but not
> when I'm gone
>
> I appreciate all suggestions
>
> Lynn
>
> I worry that the person who thought up Muzak may be
> thinking up something else.
> ~Lily Tomlin

Look... This is the way it worked for me. It might be too late for
your kats because you may have had them for a while and their behavior
patterns may already be cast in stone. But if not, then you must try
this (if you have the fortitude). You basically have to make yourself
the 'leader of the pack' in the mind of your cats. You have to control
them mentally and emotionally to the point where in the end, they will
look to you for approval daily. When you're able to get them to that
level, they will listen to you and do what they know you like (pretty
much), and abstain from doing things that they know you don't! Why
would they do this, you might ask...? They will do it for one reason:
Because they love your smile... not your frown!
The way you pull this off is simple... First, spend lots of private
time with them (individually in your case) telling them how good they
are. Talk to them. To them and to them alone, and on a personal level.
Make eye contact as much as possible. You want to establish a master-
pupil kind of bond with them. You must especially let them know thru
this kind of positive re-enforcement when they do something that
pleases you. And do that a lot.
The next part is harder, but just as important... Scold them when
they do wrong! Not in a screaming frightening manner, of course!
Kitties react badly to over stimulation in this area! Don't do that!
Simply confront them and let them have it verbally (making plenty of
eye contact here as well). Use big booming tones and wide, wild hand
gestures to emphasize your displeasure at their little 'kitty wrongs',
whatever it might be! (that's what I like to call it when our boy
misbehaves... a kitty-wrong. They're not that serious, right?). But
you must do it consistently! Don't let up because it hurts you a
little to make them sad! This is critical to the pay-off, and the
formula will not work without it.
All kats do little kitty-wrongs, and our boy is no exception to the
rule. But they're coming fewer and fewer between now. That part he
grew out of gradually. He now responds as a much-loved child... he is
eager to please ME. It's that simple! He NEVER does things like
ascending to the top of the counters or table anymore. Ever! Because
he KNOWS I do not approve. And he's standing right there awaiting to
go into his room for the nite when I come out of the bath, and without
having to be hunted down or even called. Every nite, like clockwork.
After a while, your cats won't do ANYTHING that might make you sore!
I'm not kidding! Not out of fear will they do this for you, but out of
love! Ours seems to like falling into routines. Especially ones where
Dad (me) spends quality time with him! Talking to him and scratching
him the way he likes. I do not however always go out of my way to do
this when HE wants me to (I'm not talking about general affection
here). I do these sessions on MY terms. When I want to (and many
times for re-enforcing good behavior). Because this iz what keeps him
coming back to me and acting right. I didn't plan it this way, but I
started noticing how he responded to my approval or displeasure with
what he did, and then one day it just clicked. He is now not unlike a
properly raised child in many ways. It's all about that precious
approval! That's the key. Thru consisted discipline tempered with
unconditional forgiving love, I have bread that desire for my approval
into him. And he lives under the security and love of that approval.
Not under the fear of a failure. Once you get them dancing to THAT
tune, you've got it made! It works. I swear it. It does. Works good on
the wife as well.. ;)

IBen Getiner