PDA

View Full Version : help--finding needles

filigree
December 15th 07, 07:06 AM
I live in the south bay area of Northern CA, and need to find some needles
as I'm giving my sick cat subcutaneous fluids at home. My vet forgot to give
me some today, and although I left her a message when I got home and
realized it, I need a backup plan in case I can't get them from her
tomorrow. Do you think another vet might sell me some if I bring in the vet
bills and packaging? It's the only thing I can think of--tracking down a
medical supply company that will be open and sell them to me doesn't sounds
feasible at this point.

Alternatively, is it bad to re-use the same needle? I don't see how it could
hurt, but then I'm no medical professional.

Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks.

Kirsten

mlbriggs
December 15th 07, 06:16 PM
On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 23:06:40 -0800, filigree wrote:

> I live in the south bay area of Northern CA, and need to find some needles
> as I'm giving my sick cat subcutaneous fluids at home. My vet forgot to
> give me some today, and although I left her a message when I got home and
> realized it, I need a backup plan in case I can't get them from her
> tomorrow. Do you think another vet might sell me some if I bring in the
> vet bills and packaging? It's the only thing I can think of--tracking down
> a medical supply company that will be open and sell them to me doesn't
> sounds feasible at this point.
>
> Alternatively, is it bad to re-use the same needle? I don't see how it
> could hurt, but then I'm no medical professional.
>
> Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks.
>
> Kirsten

If you need to reuse the needles, boil them for 20 minutes That is the
way it was done "in the old days".

Paul M. Cook[_2_]
December 16th 07, 07:55 AM
"mlbriggs" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 23:06:40 -0800, filigree wrote:
>
>> I live in the south bay area of Northern CA, and need to find some
>> needles
>> as I'm giving my sick cat subcutaneous fluids at home. My vet forgot to
>> give me some today, and although I left her a message when I got home and
>> realized it, I need a backup plan in case I can't get them from her
>> tomorrow. Do you think another vet might sell me some if I bring in the
>> vet bills and packaging? It's the only thing I can think of--tracking
>> down
>> a medical supply company that will be open and sell them to me doesn't
>> sounds feasible at this point.
>>
>> Alternatively, is it bad to re-use the same needle? I don't see how it
>> could hurt, but then I'm no medical professional.
>>
>> Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks.
>>
>> Kirsten
>

> If you need to reuse the needles, boil them for 20 minutes That is the
> way it was done "in the old days".

Yes, you can reuse the needles. It is going into the same cat after all.
Never use the same needle in different cats. Flush them with alcohol, let
soak for a while then flush with the saline solution in the bag before
inserting.

That should get you through for a while until you can get some fresh ones.
You can always take the whole cat to another vet and ask for SQ fluids.

Paul

IBen Getiner
December 16th 07, 08:32 AM
On Dec 15, 2:06´┐Żam, "filigree" > wrote:
> I live in the south bay area of Northern CA, and need to find some needles
> as I'm giving my sick cat subcutaneous fluids at home. My vet forgot to give
> me some today, and although I left her a message when I got home and
> realized it, I need a backup plan in case I can't get them from her
> tomorrow. Do you think another vet might sell me some if I bring in the vet
> bills and packaging? It's the only thing I can think of--tracking down a
> medical supply company that will be open and sell them to me doesn't sounds
> feasible at this point.
>
> Alternatively, is it bad to re-use the same needle? I don't see how it could
> hurt, but then I'm no medical professional.
>
> Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks.
>
> Kirsten

Legitimate question.....