PDA

View Full Version : Fireplace cat

December 20th 07, 09:47 PM
I've recently moved into a new apartment that has a fireplace. I do
not intend to use the fireplace, so I've put a small tv stand in front
of it and it has a sort of wire mesh in front of it with a slit
through the middle and I wrongly thought that would be enough to deter
the kitty from exploring. Though, one day I walk into the living room
only to see the bottom half of my cat sicking out of the fireplace
while the other half I can only assume was trying to climb through the
flue. After a stern scolding, she ran away, but I've noticed little
sooty paw prints around the house and as I spend most of my day at
work I can only assume that she's been exploring again. I know she
can't get out through the fireplace and the flue is closed so she
can't get stuck. However, my question is since she has to lick the
stuff off her paws is it any health danger to her?

I've used twisty seals to try and close up the division in the meshy
thing to keep her out but she could still go around the sides if
thoroughly motivated enough.

-Lost
December 21st 07, 08:42 AM
Response to :

> However, my question is since she has to lick the stuff off her
> paws is it any health danger to her?

Considering it's amorphous carbonaceous residue from unburnt wood (in
this case), I'd have to go with, yeah, it's probably a danger to her
(in the long run). A little bit here and there won't hurt her, but
then again, who knows?

Some kids take "E" and die, some take 2-3 a night and imbibe other
things while partying wildly -- it depends on the person (cat in this
case).

It isn't meant to be edible so I'd treat it as such.

> I've used twisty seals to try and close up the division in the
> meshy thing to keep her out but she could still go around the
> sides if thoroughly motivated enough.

Try harder!

Good luck.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

honeybunch
December 21st 07, 12:43 PM
On Dec 20, 4:47 pm, wrote:
> I've recently moved into a new apartment that has a fireplace. I do
> not intend to use the fireplace, so I've put a small tv stand in front
> of it and it has a sort of wire mesh in front of it with a slit
> through the middle and I wrongly thought that would be enough to deter
> the kitty from exploring. Though, one day I walk into the living room
> only to see the bottom half of my cat sicking out of the fireplace
> while the other half I can only assume was trying to climb through the
> flue. After a stern scolding, she ran away, but I've noticed little
> sooty paw prints around the house and as I spend most of my day at
> work I can only assume that she's been exploring again. I know she
> can't get out through the fireplace and the flue is closed so she
> can't get stuck. However, my question is since she has to lick the
> stuff off her paws is it any health danger to her?
>
> I've used twisty seals to try and close up the division in the meshy
> thing to keep her out but she could still go around the sides if
> thoroughly motivated enough.

duh. If you dont intend to use the fireplace then clean it. Sweep it
out. Get a bucket of soapy water and a brush, get down on your hands
and knees and scrub it clean.

Gandalf
December 22nd 07, 02:22 AM
On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 04:43:07 -0800 (PST), honeybunch
> wrote:

>On Dec 20, 4:47 pm, wrote:
>> I've recently moved into a new apartment that has a fireplace. I do
>> not intend to use the fireplace, so I've put a small tv stand in front
>> of it and it has a sort of wire mesh in front of it with a slit
>> through the middle and I wrongly thought that would be enough to deter
>> the kitty from exploring. Though, one day I walk into the living room
>> only to see the bottom half of my cat sicking out of the fireplace
>> while the other half I can only assume was trying to climb through the
>> flue. After a stern scolding, she ran away, but I've noticed little
>> sooty paw prints around the house and as I spend most of my day at
>> work I can only assume that she's been exploring again. I know she
>> can't get out through the fireplace and the flue is closed so she
>> can't get stuck. However, my question is since she has to lick the
>> stuff off her paws is it any health danger to her?
>>
>> I've used twisty seals to try and close up the division in the meshy
>> thing to keep her out but she could still go around the sides if
>> thoroughly motivated enough.
>

>duh. If you dont intend to use the fireplace then clean it. Sweep it
>out. Get a bucket of soapy water and a brush, get down on your hands
>and knees and scrub it clean.

Or, if it's just too big a job to clean, (Sounds like something I
certainly wouldn't enjoy doing...) could you get a heavy board to lean
against the opening to keep your cat out of the fireplace? How about a
stacking some bricks in front of the opening? Or some of both?

I agree that licking soot off of her paws doesn't sound at all good for
her.

spammer
December 22nd 07, 04:55 AM
Close off the fireplace opening and wash off (soap&water) the cat's
paws. It's that easy.