PDA

View Full Version : Cat Emergency

Cat Protector
December 22nd 07, 05:27 PM
This morning I had to take my cat Icarus to the vet because he was throwing
up a lot and wasn't able to urinate in the litterbox. Apparently despite the
treatment of antibiotics he got blocked and the vet said he definately had a
bit of a backup and 8 hours longer and he might not have made it. They're
definately have to do surgery and I was able to work out a payment plan with
the vet because I'm short of funds. He's also going to have to spend his
birthday at the vet and I'm going to miss him terribly. I hope everyone can
say a prayer for him and keep him in your thoughts. The vet is absolutely
wonderful and really cares about his patients but I know this going to be an
expensive procedure so I'll have to work all of this off from now until the
end of time. Icarus is worth it though and if anyone wants to know the name
of the vet feel free to email me.

The vet told me that sometimes cats that are being treated for UTI will
sometimes still get blockages. It didn't make me feel any better and I
couldn't apologize to Icarus enough about leaving him there and for him
having to go through all this. I was a bit in tears over all this mess and I
plan on visiting him this afternoon and bringing him another Purr Pad and a
toy mouse. It will be very hard to sleep tonight without him being around
but luckily I have Isis and Jade for comfort.

Gail[_2_]
December 22nd 07, 05:32 PM
You were very wise to bring him in to the vet ASAP. I think he will be fine
with the surgery. Read up on the subject to educate yourself so you can best
help him.
Gail
"Cat Protector" > wrote in message
> This morning I had to take my cat Icarus to the vet because he was
> throwing up a lot and wasn't able to urinate in the litterbox. Apparently
> despite the treatment of antibiotics he got blocked and the vet said he
> definately had a bit of a backup and 8 hours longer and he might not have
> made it. They're definately have to do surgery and I was able to work out
> a payment plan with the vet because I'm short of funds. He's also going to
> have to spend his birthday at the vet and I'm going to miss him terribly.
> I hope everyone can say a prayer for him and keep him in your thoughts.
> The vet is absolutely wonderful and really cares about his patients but I
> know this going to be an expensive procedure so I'll have to work all of
> this off from now until the end of time. Icarus is worth it though and if
> anyone wants to know the name of the vet feel free to email me.
>
> The vet told me that sometimes cats that are being treated for UTI will
> sometimes still get blockages. It didn't make me feel any better and I
> couldn't apologize to Icarus enough about leaving him there and for him
> having to go through all this. I was a bit in tears over all this mess and
> I plan on visiting him this afternoon and bringing him another Purr Pad
> and a toy mouse. It will be very hard to sleep tonight without him being
> around but luckily I have Isis and Jade for comfort.

Cat Protector
December 22nd 07, 05:46 PM
I have and thanks. However, the financial will be really tough being self
employed and the Christmas season has really been slow. I asked the vet if I
could do a payment plan so hopefully it won't be so painfully expensive that
I have to work for the next 2 years to pay off his medical bill. He's worth
it to me. The vet says that some people have actually had their cat
euthanized because they constantly went through the blockages. That made me
even sadder. It's going to be very hard to sleep tonight or go to any
holiday parties knowing he's there at the vet.

"Gail" > wrote in message ...
> You were very wise to bring him in to the vet ASAP. I think he will be
> fine with the surgery. Read up on the subject to educate yourself so you
> can best help him.
> Gail
> "Cat Protector" > wrote in message
>> This morning I had to take my cat Icarus to the vet because he was
>> throwing up a lot and wasn't able to urinate in the litterbox. Apparently
>> despite the treatment of antibiotics he got blocked and the vet said he
>> definately had a bit of a backup and 8 hours longer and he might not have
>> made it. They're definately have to do surgery and I was able to work out
>> a payment plan with the vet because I'm short of funds. He's also going
>> to have to spend his birthday at the vet and I'm going to miss him
>> terribly. I hope everyone can say a prayer for him and keep him in your
>> thoughts. The vet is absolutely wonderful and really cares about his
>> patients but I know this going to be an expensive procedure so I'll have
>> to work all of this off from now until the end of time. Icarus is worth
>> it though and if anyone wants to know the name of the vet feel free to
>> email me.
>>
>> The vet told me that sometimes cats that are being treated for UTI will
>> sometimes still get blockages. It didn't make me feel any better and I
>> couldn't apologize to Icarus enough about leaving him there and for him
>> having to go through all this. I was a bit in tears over all this mess
>> and I plan on visiting him this afternoon and bringing him another Purr
>> Pad and a toy mouse. It will be very hard to sleep tonight without him
>> being around but luckily I have Isis and Jade for comfort.

Gail[_2_]
December 22nd 07, 05:56 PM
Yes, I know it is very expensive (veterinary fees). Hopefully it will not be
exorbitant. Keep us posted. One of my male cats gets urinary crystals so I
know a little of what you are going through. Keep the faith and keep us
posted.
Gail

blockages. He spend thousands of dollars
"Cat Protector" > wrote in message
>I have and thanks. However, the financial will be really tough being self
>employed and the Christmas season has really been slow. I asked the vet if
>I could do a payment plan so hopefully it won't be so painfully expensive
>that I have to work for the next 2 years to pay off his medical bill. He's
>worth it to me. The vet says that some people have actually had their cat
>euthanized because they constantly went through the blockages. That made me
>even sadder. It's going to be very hard to sleep tonight or go to any
>holiday parties knowing he's there at the vet.
>
> "Gail" > wrote in message
>> You were very wise to bring him in to the vet ASAP. I think he will be
>> fine with the surgery. Read up on the subject to educate yourself so you
>> can best help him.
>> Gail
>> "Cat Protector" > wrote in message
>>> This morning I had to take my cat Icarus to the vet because he was
>>> throwing up a lot and wasn't able to urinate in the litterbox.
>>> Apparently despite the treatment of antibiotics he got blocked and the
>>> vet said he definately had a bit of a backup and 8 hours longer and he
>>> might not have made it. They're definately have to do surgery and I was
>>> able to work out a payment plan with the vet because I'm short of funds.
>>> He's also going to have to spend his birthday at the vet and I'm going
>>> to miss him terribly. I hope everyone can say a prayer for him and keep
>>> him in your thoughts. The vet is absolutely wonderful and really cares
>>> about his patients but I know this going to be an expensive procedure so
>>> I'll have to work all of this off from now until the end of time. Icarus
>>> is worth it though and if anyone wants to know the name of the vet feel
>>> free to email me.
>>>
>>> The vet told me that sometimes cats that are being treated for UTI will
>>> sometimes still get blockages. It didn't make me feel any better and I
>>> couldn't apologize to Icarus enough about leaving him there and for him
>>> having to go through all this. I was a bit in tears over all this mess
>>> and I plan on visiting him this afternoon and bringing him another Purr
>>> Pad and a toy mouse. It will be very hard to sleep tonight without him
>>> being around but luckily I have Isis and Jade for comfort.

Cat Protector
December 22nd 07, 06:18 PM
Me too. The vet is excellent and I feel so bad having to ask them for a
payment plan or hope they'll take some kind pity on me. This was such an
unexpected expense because I thought I'd done everything to prevent him from
getting a blockage including getting him on antibiotics early. I feel so
horrible that he was suffering overnight and all I could do was try and
comfort him as best I could.

"Gail" > wrote in message ...
> Yes, I know it is very expensive (veterinary fees). Hopefully it will not
> be exorbitant. Keep us posted. One of my male cats gets urinary crystals
> so I know a little of what you are going through. Keep the faith and keep
> us posted.
> Gail
>
> blockages. He spend thousands of dollars
> "Cat Protector" > wrote in message
>>I have and thanks. However, the financial will be really tough being self
>>employed and the Christmas season has really been slow. I asked the vet if
>>I could do a payment plan so hopefully it won't be so painfully expensive
>>that I have to work for the next 2 years to pay off his medical bill. He's
>>worth it to me. The vet says that some people have actually had their cat
>>euthanized because they constantly went through the blockages. That made
>>me even sadder. It's going to be very hard to sleep tonight or go to any
>>holiday parties knowing he's there at the vet.
>>
>> "Gail" > wrote in message
>>> You were very wise to bring him in to the vet ASAP. I think he will be
>>> fine with the surgery. Read up on the subject to educate yourself so you
>>> can best help him.
>>> Gail

Cat Protector
December 22nd 07, 10:39 PM
I just heard from the vet and he is going to make it. They found a lot of
blood in his urine but it was tough to get the catheter in. He's still under
sedation and the vet is hopeful he'll wake up tomorrow and will be hungry.
I'm still stressed about this whole situation but am hopeful that everything
financially will work out. He definately had a terrific vet working for him.
If anyone is interested he's at Four Peaks Animal Clinic in Scottsdale.

"Gail" > wrote in message ...
> Yes, I know it is very expensive (veterinary fees). Hopefully it will not
> be exorbitant. Keep us posted. One of my male cats gets urinary crystals
> so I know a little of what you are going through. Keep the faith and keep
> us posted.
> Gail
>
> blockages. He spend thousands of dollars
> "Cat Protector" > wrote in message
>>I have and thanks. However, the financial will be really tough being self
>>employed and the Christmas season has really been slow. I asked the vet if
>>I could do a payment plan so hopefully it won't be so painfully expensive
>>that I have to work for the next 2 years to pay off his medical bill. He's
>>worth it to me. The vet says that some people have actually had their cat
>>euthanized because they constantly went through the blockages. That made
>>me even sadder. It's going to be very hard to sleep tonight or go to any
>>holiday parties knowing he's there at the vet.
>>
>> "Gail" > wrote in message
>>> You were very wise to bring him in to the vet ASAP. I think he will be
>>> fine with the surgery. Read up on the subject to educate yourself so you
>>> can best help him.
>>> Gail

blkcatgal
December 22nd 07, 10:51 PM
Hope Icarus is felling his old self real soon.

S.

Cat Protector
December 22nd 07, 11:07 PM
Thanks. I do as well.
--
Nohl Rosen
Panther TEK

www.panthertekit.com
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
. ..
> Hope Icarus is felling his old self real soon.
>
> S.
>
> "Cat Protector" > wrote in message
>>I just heard from the vet and he is going to make it. They found a lot of
>>blood in his urine but it was tough to get the catheter in. He's still
>>under sedation and the vet is hopeful he'll wake up tomorrow and will be
>>hungry. I'm still stressed about this whole situation but am hopeful that
>>everything financially will work out. He definately had a terrific vet
>>working for him. If anyone is interested he's at Four Peaks Animal Clinic
>>in Scottsdale.
>>
>> "Gail" > wrote in message
>>> Yes, I know it is very expensive (veterinary fees). Hopefully it will
>>> not be exorbitant. Keep us posted. One of my male cats gets urinary
>>> crystals so I know a little of what you are going through. Keep the
>>> faith and keep us posted.
>>> Gail
>>>
>>> blockages. He spend thousands of dollars

honeybunch
December 23rd 07, 03:05 AM
On Dec 22, 6:07 pm, "Cat Protector" > wrote:
> Thanks. I do as well.
> --
> Nohl Rosen
> Panther TEK
> 480-980-8541
> "blkcatgal" > wrote in message
>
> . ..
>
> > Hope Icarus is felling his old self real soon.
>
> > S.
>
> > "Cat Protector" > wrote in message
> >>I just heard from the vet and he is going to make it. They found a lot of
> >>blood in his urine but it was tough to get the catheter in. He's still
> >>under sedation and the vet is hopeful he'll wake up tomorrow and will be
> >>hungry. I'm still stressed about this whole situation but am hopeful that
> >>everything financially will work out. He definately had a terrific vet
> >>working for him. If anyone is interested he's at Four Peaks Animal Clinic
> >>in Scottsdale.

How much is he charging you?

Candace
December 23rd 07, 06:34 AM
On Dec 22, 3:39*pm, "Cat Protector" > wrote:
> I just heard from the vet and he is going to make it. They found a lot of
> blood in his urine but it was tough to get the catheter in. He's still under
> sedation and the vet is hopeful he'll wake up tomorrow and will be hungry.
> I'm still stressed about this whole situation but am hopeful that everything
> financially will work out. He definately had a terrific vet working for him.
> If anyone is interested he's at Four Peaks Animal Clinic in Scottsdale.

Poor little guy. Sorry to hear he's sick but it sounds like
everything will turn out okay for him.

Candace

Cat Protector
December 23rd 07, 07:38 AM
I don't know. I haven't gotten a bill yet. It'll be expensive as most of
these procedures are. I just want Icarus to get well and then worry about
how to pay for it later.

"honeybunch" > wrote in > How much is he charging you?

Cat Protector
December 23rd 07, 07:44 AM
Thanks Candace. This one was a tough one. Isis and Jade know somethings up
and it's definately quiet around here. I already miss him and hope he's
getting some rest. I felt awful that he was going through this and wondered
what else I could've done. It was so unexpected and I didn't budget for all
of this. It'll be very difficult to sleep tonight so no doubt Isis and Jade
will stay near me. I did manage to go out to a Christmas party but I still
couldn't help but think of poor Icarus being in a strange place. It was so
hard to leave him there and very emotional.

"Candace" > wrote in message
>Poor little guy. Sorry to hear he's sick but it sounds like
>everything will turn out okay for him.

>Candace

cybercat
December 23rd 07, 03:03 PM
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
. ..
> Hope Icarus is felling his old self real soon.
>
> S.

Same here.

Cat Protector
December 23rd 07, 03:32 PM
Thanks. Today is Icarus's birthday and it's sad that he has to spend it in
the hospital. They're closed today so I don't get to be with him.

"cybercat" > wrote in message

>> S.
>
> Same here.

Cat Protector
December 25th 07, 06:14 PM
Here's another update:

I visited Icarus yesterday and he's still not happy about being at the vet.
I brought him a goodie bag with dry food, canned food, tuna, and a bag of
moist treats. He actually ate some of the moist treats. He also managed to
remove the catheter once again so the vet decided to leave it out and see if
Icarus will use the litterbox on his own. He's not making it easy for the
doctor to do his job. Icarus is also still having to wear the Elizabethan
collar so I imagine he's uncomfortable having to sleep with it on. He still
has blood in his urine and the vet is continuously having to change towels
because Icarus soaks them because he's urinating. The vet says it's good
I've been visiting him so Icarus has family to help calm him down and to try
and get him to eat. The vet has been force feeding him. Meanwhile, Isis and
Jade continue to be anxious because their brother isn't home but they are
eating and doing most of the normal cat things. I think they're enjoying the
fact that I'm giving them more attention though because Icarus is usually
the needy one.

Gail[_2_]
December 25th 07, 08:42 PM
He probably will not be able to eat any dry food and will be on a special
diet. Please check with the vet.
Gail
"Cat Protector" > wrote in message
> Here's another update:
>
> I visited Icarus yesterday and he's still not happy about being at the
> vet. I brought him a goodie bag with dry food, canned food, tuna, and a
> bag of moist treats. He actually ate some of the moist treats. He also
> managed to remove the catheter once again so the vet decided to leave it
> out and see if Icarus will use the litterbox on his own. He's not making
> it easy for the doctor to do his job. Icarus is also still having to wear
> the Elizabethan collar so I imagine he's uncomfortable having to sleep
> with it on. He still has blood in his urine and the vet is continuously
> having to change towels because Icarus soaks them because he's urinating.
> The vet says it's good I've been visiting him so Icarus has family to help
> calm him down and to try and get him to eat. The vet has been force
> feeding him. Meanwhile, Isis and Jade continue to be anxious because their
> brother isn't home but they are eating and doing most of the normal cat
> things. I think they're enjoying the fact that I'm giving them more
> attention though because Icarus is usually the needy one.

Cat Protector
December 25th 07, 09:50 PM
He already was on a special diet when all this happened. He wasn't eating
what the vet was giving him but ate a little of what I brought him.

> "Cat Protector" > wrote in message
>> Here's another update:
>>
>> I visited Icarus yesterday and he's still not happy about being at the
>> vet. I brought him a goodie bag with dry food, canned food, tuna, and a
>> bag of moist treats. He actually ate some of the moist treats. He also
>> managed to remove the catheter once again so the vet decided to leave it
>> out and see if Icarus will use the litterbox on his own. He's not making
>> it easy for the doctor to do his job. Icarus is also still having to wear
>> the Elizabethan collar so I imagine he's uncomfortable having to sleep
>> with it on. He still has blood in his urine and the vet is continuously
>> having to change towels because Icarus soaks them because he's urinating.
>> The vet says it's good I've been visiting him so Icarus has family to
>> help calm him down and to try and get him to eat. The vet has been force
>> feeding him. Meanwhile, Isis and Jade continue to be anxious because
>> their brother isn't home but they are eating and doing most of the normal
>> cat things. I think they're enjoying the fact that I'm giving them more
>> attention though because Icarus is usually the needy one.

blkcatgal
December 26th 07, 05:04 AM
I had a friend who's cat was experiencing blockage regularly. Her vet
recommended and she opted to have a surgical procedure done on her cat
called perineal urethrostomy (or PU for short). From what I have read about
PU it is a last resort kind of thing for cats who are continuously
experiencing problems. Has your vet mentioned this at all?

Also, I have seen soft e-collars for cats and dogs. Much better than the
hard plastic ones. Google "soft e collars" to see them.

Hope Icarus is feeling better soon.

Sue

Visit me and my cats at: http://www.island-cats.com/

"Cat Protector" > wrote in message
> Here's another update:
>
> I visited Icarus yesterday and he's still not happy about being at the
> vet. I brought him a goodie bag with dry food, canned food, tuna, and a
> bag of moist treats. He actually ate some of the moist treats. He also
> managed to remove the catheter once again so the vet decided to leave it
> out and see if Icarus will use the litterbox on his own. He's not making
> it easy for the doctor to do his job. Icarus is also still having to wear
> the Elizabethan collar so I imagine he's uncomfortable having to sleep
> with it on. He still has blood in his urine and the vet is continuously
> having to change towels because Icarus soaks them because he's urinating.
> The vet says it's good I've been visiting him so Icarus has family to help
> calm him down and to try and get him to eat. The vet has been force
> feeding him. Meanwhile, Isis and Jade continue to be anxious because their
> brother isn't home but they are eating and doing most of the normal cat
> things. I think they're enjoying the fact that I'm giving them more
> attention though because Icarus is usually the needy one.

Jean B.
December 26th 07, 08:11 PM
blkcatgal wrote:
> I had a friend who's cat was experiencing blockage regularly. Her vet
> recommended and she opted to have a surgical procedure done on her cat
> called perineal urethrostomy (or PU for short). From what I have read about
> PU it is a last resort kind of thing for cats who are continuously
> experiencing problems. Has your vet mentioned this at all?
>
> Also, I have seen soft e-collars for cats and dogs. Much better than the
> hard plastic ones. Google "soft e collars" to see them.
>
> Hope Icarus is feeling better soon.
>
> Sue

I'm sorry Icarus is having such a rough time (and ditto for
Nohl).

Can you tell us how the cat did after the procedure?
--
Jean B.

Cat Protector
December 27th 07, 04:06 PM
Thanks. I know I did the right thing but it hits at the wrong time
financially but one never plans for these events. Icarus is still at the vet
and they have him off catheter as he kept pulling it out every chance he
got. I was told he might come home today. He's definately urinating but not
in the litterbox. When he gets home from the vet I have to keep him in the
bathroom for a couple of days because it'll be a bit messy on the carpets.
Also, the vet feels that when he goes home he might feel more comfortable
about eating because he'll be in a familiar surrounding. Icarus hasn't been
eating much so they're having to force feed him. Isis and Jade miss him
although Isis is mainly the cat that has stuck close to me. Jade barely
sleeps in the bedroom but rather in my computer chair all the time. They're
eating but not as much as they normally do.

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> I'm sorry Icarus is having such a rough time (and ditto for Nohl).
>
> Can you tell us how the cat did after the procedure?
> --
> Jean B.

Jean B.
December 27th 07, 04:13 PM
Cat Protector wrote:
> Thanks. I know I did the right thing but it hits at the wrong time
> financially but one never plans for these events. Icarus is still at the vet
> and they have him off catheter as he kept pulling it out every chance he
> got. I was told he might come home today. He's definately urinating but not
> in the litterbox. When he gets home from the vet I have to keep him in the
> bathroom for a couple of days because it'll be a bit messy on the carpets.
> Also, the vet feels that when he goes home he might feel more comfortable
> about eating because he'll be in a familiar surrounding. Icarus hasn't been
> eating much so they're having to force feed him. Isis and Jade miss him
> although Isis is mainly the cat that has stuck close to me. Jade barely
> sleeps in the bedroom but rather in my computer chair all the time. They're
> eating but not as much as they normally do.

I do empathize, Nohl, because Mingy has urinary tract problems
(blockage, crystals), and it's a struggle. Like you and
Icarus, it is a very bad situation when he needs treatment,
or, even worse, hospitalization, because he is so scared of
other people and strange situations. That, of course, leads
me to agonize over his well-being too, just as I see you do now.

I was glad to hear Icarus was placed in the quietest
surroundings possible, which is about the best one can hope
for--other than release from the hospital. At some point, it
becomes obvious that keeping the baby in the hospital is NOT
good for the cat....

--
Jean B.

blkcatgal
December 27th 07, 04:44 PM
The surgery was done over 2 years ago and my friend's cat is doing quite
well after the PU. Has not had any problems with blockage since. She still
has to feed him special diet food (I think she is feeding him Hills c/d).
The surgery isn't cheap, of course. I think it cost her somewhere around
$1200. But if it is successful, it is worth it.

S.
--

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> blkcatgal wrote:
>> I had a friend who's cat was experiencing blockage regularly. Her vet
>> recommended and she opted to have a surgical procedure done on her cat
>> called perineal urethrostomy (or PU for short). From what I have read
>> about PU it is a last resort kind of thing for cats who are continuously
>> experiencing problems. Has your vet mentioned this at all?
>>
>> Also, I have seen soft e-collars for cats and dogs. Much better than the
>> hard plastic ones. Google "soft e collars" to see them.
>>
>> Hope Icarus is feeling better soon.
>>
>> Sue
>
> I'm sorry Icarus is having such a rough time (and ditto for Nohl).
>
> Can you tell us how the cat did after the procedure?
> --
> Jean B.

Cat Protector
December 27th 07, 04:47 PM
Did he ever have a urinary blockage? As you can tell from my experience it's
an expensive process. I just hope the vet doesn't give me too a high a bill.
I can pay a little each month but that's about all I can do. Being
self-employed I'm not making it rich right now. Icarus means a lot to me
though and got the help he needed. The vet told me that some people actually
have their cats euthanized because it gets to be expensive but I can't see
myself doing that to Icarus. He's come so far already. I thought about
getting pet insurance in the past but was once told it's more expensive than
paying the straight vet bill. I also found that a lot of them won't cover a
pre-existing condition so if I do decide to get it, then it has to be for
Isis and Jade.

Despite being a guy, I cried and cried when I left Icarus at the vet. I told
him how sorry I was for having to leave him and for having to go through
this. I never got much sleep the first couple of nights but Isis and Jade
were there to comfort me and I believe they miss their brother. He is
getting the proper care but right now all the bad stuff seems to be
happening at once. It's pretty hard right now to handle but I keep telling
myself that things will be ok.

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> I do empathize, Nohl, because Mingy has urinary tract problems (blockage,
> crystals), and it's a struggle. Like you and Icarus, it is a very bad
> situation when he needs treatment, or, even worse, hospitalization,
> because he is so scared of other people and strange situations. That, of
> course, leads me to agonize over his well-being too, just as I see you do
> now.
>
> I was glad to hear Icarus was placed in the quietest surroundings
> possible, which is about the best one can hope for--other than release
> from the hospital. At some point, it becomes obvious that keeping the
> baby in the hospital is NOT good for the cat....
>
> --
> Jean B.

Cat Protector
December 27th 07, 09:41 PM
Was she able to work out a payment plan with the vet to do the procedure?

"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
> The surgery was done over 2 years ago and my friend's cat is doing quite
> well after the PU. Has not had any problems with blockage since. She
> still has to feed him special diet food (I think she is feeding him Hills
> c/d). The surgery isn't cheap, of course. I think it cost her somewhere
> around $1200. But if it is successful, it is worth it.
>
> S.
> --
> Visit me and my cats at http://www.island-cats.com/
>

> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>> blkcatgal wrote:
>>> I had a friend who's cat was experiencing blockage regularly. Her vet
>>> recommended and she opted to have a surgical procedure done on her cat
>>> called perineal urethrostomy (or PU for short). From what I have read
>>> about PU it is a last resort kind of thing for cats who are continuously
>>> experiencing problems. Has your vet mentioned this at all?
>>>
>>> Also, I have seen soft e-collars for cats and dogs. Much better than
>>> the hard plastic ones. Google "soft e collars" to see them.
>>>
>>> Hope Icarus is feeling better soon.
>>>
>>> Sue
>>
>> I'm sorry Icarus is having such a rough time (and ditto for Nohl).
>>
>> Can you tell us how the cat did after the procedure?
>> --
>> Jean B.

blkcatgal
December 27th 07, 10:49 PM
I'm not sure how she paid for it. I don't know if money was an issue for
her. I do remember her telling me how expensive it was. I guess she came
up with the money somehow. I know that many vets will agree to some type of
payment plan, if necessary.

S.
--
Visit me and my cats at http://www.island-cats.com/

"Cat Protector" > wrote in message
> Was she able to work out a payment plan with the vet to do the procedure?
>

> "blkcatgal" > wrote in message
>> The surgery was done over 2 years ago and my friend's cat is doing quite
>> well after the PU. Has not had any problems with blockage since. She
>> still has to feed him special diet food (I think she is feeding him Hills
>> c/d). The surgery isn't cheap, of course. I think it cost her somewhere
>> around $1200. But if it is successful, it is worth it.
>>
>> S.
>> --
>> Visit me and my cats at http://www.island-cats.com/

>>> I'm sorry Icarus is having such a rough time (and ditto for Nohl).
>>>
>>> Can you tell us how the cat did after the procedure?
>>> --
>>> Jean B.

Cat Protector
December 28th 07, 01:56 AM
Actually, Icarus's vet bill wasn't as big as I thought but it was still
costly.

"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
. ..
> I'm not sure how she paid for it. I don't know if money was an issue for
> her. I do remember her telling me how expensive it was. I guess she came
> up with the money somehow. I know that many vets will agree to some type
> of payment plan, if necessary.
>
> S.
> --
> Visit me and my cats at http://www.island-cats.com/
>

> "Cat Protector" > wrote in message
>> Was she able to work out a payment plan with the vet to do the procedure?
>>

>> "blkcatgal" > wrote in message
>>> The surgery was done over 2 years ago and my friend's cat is doing quite
>>> well after the PU. Has not had any problems with blockage since. She
>>> still has to feed him special diet food (I think she is feeding him
>>> Hills c/d). The surgery isn't cheap, of course. I think it cost her
>>> somewhere around $1200. But if it is successful, it is worth it.
>>>
>>> S.
>>> --
>>> Visit me and my cats at http://www.island-cats.com/

Candace
December 28th 07, 05:53 AM
On Dec 27, 6:56*pm, "Cat Protector" > wrote:
> Actually, Icarus's vet bill wasn't as big as I thought but it was still
> costly.

Is he home now?

Candace

Jean B.
December 31st 07, 08:20 PM
blkcatgal wrote:
> The surgery was done over 2 years ago and my friend's cat is doing quite
> well after the PU. Has not had any problems with blockage since. She still
> has to feed him special diet food (I think she is feeding him Hills c/d).
> The surgery isn't cheap, of course. I think it cost her somewhere around
> $1200. But if it is successful, it is worth it.
>
> S.

Thanks. I don't know whether Mingy will end up needing such
surgery, but it is good to know that your friend's cat has had
two good years.

--
Jean B.

Jean B.
December 31st 07, 08:25 PM
Cat Protector wrote:
> Did he ever have a urinary blockage? As you can tell from my experience it's
> an expensive process. I just hope the vet doesn't give me too a high a bill.
> I can pay a little each month but that's about all I can do. Being
> self-employed I'm not making it rich right now. Icarus means a lot to me
> though and got the help he needed. The vet told me that some people actually
> have their cats euthanized because it gets to be expensive but I can't see
> myself doing that to Icarus. He's come so far already. I thought about
> getting pet insurance in the past but was once told it's more expensive than
> paying the straight vet bill. I also found that a lot of them won't cover a
> pre-existing condition so if I do decide to get it, then it has to be for
> Isis and Jade.
>
> Despite being a guy, I cried and cried when I left Icarus at the vet. I told
> him how sorry I was for having to leave him and for having to go through
> this. I never got much sleep the first couple of nights but Isis and Jade
> were there to comfort me and I believe they miss their brother. He is
> getting the proper care but right now all the bad stuff seems to be
> happening at once. It's pretty hard right now to handle but I keep telling
> myself that things will be ok.

Yes, Mingy has blocked and plugged. When he had crystals and
blocked, he was in the hospital for 2-3 days. (I think I've
developed amnesia, because it was just so awful!) It cost a
lot--over $1200! Of course, these things become evident
either on the weekend or at night, when the normal vet's
office isn't open. The vet would be much more reasonable....

I agree that when we love our little buddies, euthanasia isn't
an option. (I guess I should add if it is at all possible to
avoid it from a financial POV, because I'm sure some folks
really can't afford it, and I don't want to make them feel
even worse than they already do.) Of course, the financial
part of it hurts, but I owe Mingy the best care I can give him.

I hope things settle down with Jade. You sure don't need
another sick cat now (especially).

--
Jean B.

Jean B.
December 31st 07, 08:25 PM
Cat Protector wrote:
> Actually, Icarus's vet bill wasn't as big as I thought but it was still
> costly.

Thank goodness for that!

--
Jean B.

Cat Protector
January 1st 08, 12:00 AM
"Jean B." > wrote in message
> Yes, Mingy has blocked and plugged. When he had crystals and blocked, he
> was in the hospital for 2-3 days. (I think I've developed amnesia,
> because it was just so awful!) It cost a lot--over $1200! Of course,
> these things become evident either on the weekend or at night, when the
> normal vet's office isn't open. The vet would be much more reasonable....
>
> I agree that when we love our little buddies, euthanasia isn't an option.
> (I guess I should add if it is at all possible to avoid it from a
> financial POV, because I'm sure some folks really can't afford it, and I
> don't want to make them feel even worse than they already do.) Of course,
> the financial part of it hurts, but I owe Mingy the best care I can give
> him.
>
> I hope things settle down with Jade. You sure don't need another sick cat
> now (especially).
>
> --
> Jean B.

No I don't. Jade eats a little but not as much as she should. She's lost a
bit of weight. I did notice that she started sneaking into Icarus's food and
then threw it up. I think she might be depressed because of all the changes
happening lately. It all seemed to start the moment Icarus went into the
hospital but he's been home since Thursday.