PDA

View Full Version : Littermates not getting along

December 23rd 07, 04:04 AM
Hi, I have two littermates, 6 months old. Jack and Jessica have been
extremely close, spending almost every minute together, sleeping
together, constantly playing together, etc. Jessica has always been
the dominant in their relationship, often taking the lead when playing
and getting into trouble. Jack is the lovable lap kitty. I had them
spayed/neutered on Thursday and Jessica had a bad reaction to the
anesthesia and had to return to the vet at 2 am and stay for about 12
hours until she recoved. Since she's returned home, Jack has been
hostile to her, often hissing at her if she gets too close and he
almost seems to taunt her by ignoring her when she follows him
around. Jessica is very confused by his behavior and has been
following him around trying to get close, but is now getting gunshy
because of his reactions to her. She seems to pull back now when he
gets too close to her. I was hoping maybe it was the scent she picked
up at the vet, but now I'm worried it will turn into a permanent
problem. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

MaryL
December 23rd 07, 04:40 AM
> wrote in message
> Hi, I have two littermates, 6 months old. Jack and Jessica have been
> extremely close, spending almost every minute together, sleeping
> together, constantly playing together, etc. Jessica has always been
> the dominant in their relationship, often taking the lead when playing
> and getting into trouble. Jack is the lovable lap kitty. I had them
> spayed/neutered on Thursday and Jessica had a bad reaction to the
> anesthesia and had to return to the vet at 2 am and stay for about 12
> hours until she recoved. Since she's returned home, Jack has been
> hostile to her, often hissing at her if she gets too close and he
> almost seems to taunt her by ignoring her when she follows him
> around. Jessica is very confused by his behavior and has been
> following him around trying to get close, but is now getting gunshy
> because of his reactions to her. She seems to pull back now when he
> gets too close to her. I was hoping maybe it was the scent she picked
> up at the vet, but now I'm worried it will turn into a permanent
> problem. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Cats often react negatively after one or both return from the vet (probably
related to scent, as you suspected). Try this: rub both cats gently with
the same towel, several times -- to distribute their scents -- and also put
a small dab of vanilla on each cat, in the area of the shoulder blades -- to
give a similar scent to each cat. Also, don't force them to interact, and
give it a little time. The reactions you saw are not unusual. You could
even put them in separate rooms for a few hours.

MaryL

cybercat
December 23rd 07, 04:46 AM
> wrote in message
> Hi, I have two littermates, 6 months old. Jack and Jessica have been
> extremely close, spending almost every minute together, sleeping
> together, constantly playing together, etc. Jessica has always been
> the dominant in their relationship, often taking the lead when playing
> and getting into trouble. Jack is the lovable lap kitty. I had them
> spayed/neutered on Thursday and Jessica had a bad reaction to the
> anesthesia and had to return to the vet at 2 am and stay for about 12
> hours until she recoved. Since she's returned home, Jack has been
> hostile to her, often hissing at her if she gets too close and he
> almost seems to taunt her by ignoring her when she follows him
> around. Jessica is very confused by his behavior and has been
> following him around trying to get close, but is now getting gunshy
> because of his reactions to her. She seems to pull back now when he
> gets too close to her. I was hoping maybe it was the scent she picked
> up at the vet, but now I'm worried it will turn into a permanent
> problem. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

She just smells funny from the vet, and reminds him of being at the vet,
where he was afraid and in pain. This is only Saturday, right?

December 23rd 07, 11:22 AM
Yes. He seems a little more tolerant of her, but not much. I'll try
the towel and vanilla ideas. Can I be pretty safe in assuming that
they will return to their former relationship? I've had over 21 cats
in my lifetime, mostly literrmates,and never has this happened.

On Dec 22, 11:46*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> > Hi, I have two littermates, 6 months old. Jack and Jessica have been
> > extremely close, spending almost every minute together, sleeping
> > together, constantly playing together, etc. *Jessica has always been
> > the dominant in their relationship, often taking the lead when playing
> > and getting into trouble. Jack is the lovable lap kitty. *I had them
> > spayed/neutered on Thursday and Jessica had a bad reaction to the
> > anesthesia and had to return to the vet at 2 am and stay for about 12
> > hours until she recoved. *Since she's returned home, Jack has been
> > hostile to her, often hissing at her if she gets too close and he
> > almost seems to taunt her by ignoring her when she follows him
> > around. *Jessica is very confused by his behavior and has been
> > following him around trying to get close, but is now getting gunshy
> > because of his reactions to her. She seems to pull back now when he
> > gets too close to her. *I was hoping maybe it was the scent she picked
> > up at the vet, but now I'm worried it will turn into a permanent
> > problem. *Has anyone experienced anything like this?
>
> She just smells funny from the vet, and reminds him of being at the vet,
> where he was afraid and in pain. This is only Saturday, right?- Hide quoted text -

MaryL
December 23rd 07, 02:29 PM
> wrote in message
Yes. He seems a little more tolerant of her, but not much. I'll try
the towel and vanilla ideas. Can I be pretty safe in assuming that
they will return to their former relationship? I've had over 21 cats
in my lifetime, mostly literrmates,and never has this happened.

There are never any guarantees. However, what you described is very common,
and I have never heard of it becoming a permanent -- or even a long-term --
problem with cats that got on well together before the vet visit.

MaryL

cybercat
December 23rd 07, 03:02 PM
> wrote in message
>Yes. He seems a little more tolerant of her, but not much. I'll try
>the towel and vanilla ideas. Can I be pretty safe in assuming that
>they will return to their former relationship? I've had over 21 cats
>in my lifetime, mostly literrmates,and never has this happened.

I'm sure they will be fine. You be very reassuring, play with both
of them at the same time, pet one then the other so their scents
mingle, that sort of thing. Cats are wonderful, but sometimes
afflicted by the fact that they only have little cat brains to work
with. :) Merry Christmas.

December 23rd 07, 05:39 PM
Cats are wonderful, but sometimes
> afflicted by the fact that they only have little cat brains to work
> with. :) Merry Christmas.

You're right, my husband and I were just discussing the same thing
this morning, Jack can't help it, it's obviously some instinct that he
can't control. It's so easy to forget that they are, in fact, animals,
as they are such an important part of our household.

Anyway....

I'm happy to report that the towel thing apparently worked! While
they aren't back to normal, Jack is much more tolerant of Jessica this
morning, and she jumped him (playfully) and he returned the gesture
without hissing or animosity. Jack even cleaned her ear for her a
little after that. They are still a little skittish around each other,
but I'm very hopeful now that it will pass. I'll keep sharing their
scent with the towel and keep my fingers crossed. Thanks so much for
the advice and suggestions, ahd happy holidays! :-)