PDA

View Full Version : Making Cat Food - Salmon Oil question

December 31st 07, 02:43 AM
I'm excited to say that I'm hoping to start making some nutritious and
yummy food for my cat soon so she can finally lose some weight and not
end up like our last 3 cats that died of kidney failure. She's only 2
years old, and I plan on using the recipes found on Catnutrition.org

I do have a question about salmon oil.

Every time I have fed my cat salmon food - and one time after I knew
about it I fed her *real* freeze dried salmon cat treats - she gets
horrible UTIs. I don't know if this is from some additive or
something, but even the real natural salmon caused it.

In the recipes, salmon oil is added as a source of omega-3. Since my
kitty doesn't agree with it.. do you think it'd be acceptable to add
Flax Seed Oil instead? Any ideas?

Petzl
January 1st 08, 02:14 AM
On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 18:43:36 -0800 (PST), wrote:

>In the recipes, salmon oil is added as a source of omega-3. Since my
>kitty doesn't agree with it.. do you think it'd be acceptable to add
>Flax Seed Oil instead? Any ideas?

<http://www.felinefuture.com/>
This site looks good for home recipes also and seems to consider cats
teeth in diet (Not tried any of its recommendations though)

Omega 3 from flax seed is not that readily absorbed by digestive
systems, cats and yours but won't do any harm

Cod Liver Oil is also a good source of omega

Cats are notoriously uncooperative sometimes and will often turn noses
up at "good" food

To keep cat from over eating use thin plastic disposable party
*plates* not bowls (cheap, disposable, but can be washed and reused)
add a little water around side of food (about to cup do not mix)
The water helps cat feel fuller effectively putting cat on diet
without cat knowing

Cats do not like whiskers touching side of bowl.

Using wet food brushing of cats teeth needed occasionally
Petzl
--
Only the Irish Leprignomes have remained aloof and their family heritage remains pure and unconfused. Gnome watchers believe that the reason for this stems from the unfortunate events that led to their expulsion from the peat bogs of Ireland in the late 1700s. It is thought that the ambitious Leprignomes encroached on the territorial boundaries of the intellectually superior Leprechauns. The Grand Legislature of Leprechauns banished the ringleaders of this audacious uprising to Australia. As a parting gesture they cast such a powerful spell on the Leprignomes that, even today, they remain too shy to associate with other gnome species.

PET ADMIN
January 7th 08, 11:36 PM
On Dec 30 2007, 6:43 pm, wrote:
> I'm excited to say that I'm hoping to start making some nutritious and
> yummy food for my cat soon so she can finally lose some weight and not
> end up like our last 3 cats that died of kidney failure. She's only 2
> years old, and I plan on using the recipes found on Catnutrition.org
>
> I do have a question about salmon oil.
>
> Every time I have fed my cat salmon food - and one time after I knew
> about it I fed her *real* freeze dried salmon cat treats - she gets
> horrible UTIs. I don't know if this is from some additive or
> something, but even the real natural salmon caused it.
>
> In the recipes, salmon oil is added as a source of omega-3. Since my
> kitty doesn't agree with it.. do you think it'd be acceptable to add
> Flax Seed Oil instead? Any ideas?

can you place some recipes that work on our website. I think it may
save some lives in the pet world too. Thanks

Troy
www.petadministration.com