PDA

View Full Version : KITTY LITTER DUST

Dennis
December 31st 07, 06:23 PM
Just became a cat owner a few months ago and thought I had done all my
homework on the pros and cons of owning a cat, but there's always something
you miss. In my case, it's the dust from the kitty litter that has settled
over everything in my home. Is there anything that can be done to eliminate
this most annoying problem. And before you even think of it, I ALREADY OWN A
FEATHER DUSTER AND VACUUM CLEANER ;)

--
Dennis

Diana
December 31st 07, 07:04 PM
In article >,
"Dennis" > wrote:

> Just became a cat owner a few months ago and thought I had done all my
> homework on the pros and cons of owning a cat, but there's always something
> you miss. In my case, it's the dust from the kitty litter that has settled
> over everything in my home. Is there anything that can be done to eliminate
> this most annoying problem. And before you even think of it, I ALREADY OWN A
> FEATHER DUSTER AND VACUUM CLEANER ;)

Yes, please get a brand that features 99% less dust if you prefer clay
litter, or look into other types of litter. The dust is hazardous to
your cat's health.

Diana

blkcatgal
December 31st 07, 08:01 PM
I recently started using the World's Best Cat Litter. It's made from corn
(I think) and has less dust than some of the other types of litters. And it
clumps pretty good too.

S.
---

"Dennis" > wrote in message
> Just became a cat owner a few months ago and thought I had done all my
> homework on the pros and cons of owning a cat, but there's always
> something you miss. In my case, it's the dust from the kitty litter that
> has settled over everything in my home. Is there anything that can be done
> to eliminate this most annoying problem. And before you even think of it,
> I ALREADY OWN A FEATHER DUSTER AND VACUUM CLEANER ;)
>
> --
> Dennis

Dennis
December 31st 07, 08:50 PM
I'm using Scoop Away, smells good, clumps great, the cat likes it.

"Matthew" > wrote in message
> Are you using cheap litter if so upgrade
>
> "Dennis" > wrote in message
>> Just became a cat owner a few months ago and thought I had done all my
>> homework on the pros and cons of owning a cat, but there's always
>> something you miss. In my case, it's the dust from the kitty litter that
>> has settled over everything in my home. Is there anything that can be
>> done to eliminate this most annoying problem. And before you even think
>> of it, I ALREADY OWN A FEATHER DUSTER AND VACUUM CLEANER ;)
>>
>> --
>> Dennis

Dennis
December 31st 07, 09:25 PM
Thanks, that a great idea!

"Matthew" > wrote in message
> Does it say 99% dust free? you many have to get another brand that is
> dust free if it spreading that much dust you may also put a hepa filter
> machine nearby to help out
>

> I use non scented brands with febreeze diffusers nearby I use a hepa
> filter machine myself to collect the dust and smell
>
> "Dennis" > wrote in message
>> I'm using Scoop Away, smells good, clumps great, the cat likes it.
>>

>> "Matthew" > wrote in message
>>> Are you using cheap litter if so upgrade

Dennis
December 31st 07, 09:27 PM
Thanks blkcatgal, I'll look that brand up on the web

"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
>I recently started using the World's Best Cat Litter. It's made from corn
>(I think) and has less dust than some of the other types of litters. And
>it clumps pretty good too.
>
> S.
> --
> **Visit me and my cats at http://www.island-cats.com/ **
> ---
>
> "Dennis" > wrote in message
>> Just became a cat owner a few months ago and thought I had done all my
>> homework on the pros and cons of owning a cat, but there's always
>> something you miss. In my case, it's the dust from the kitty litter that
>> has settled over everything in my home. Is there anything that can be
>> done to eliminate this most annoying problem. And before you even think
>> of it, I ALREADY OWN A FEATHER DUSTER AND VACUUM CLEANER ;)
>>
>> --
>> Dennis

Barb[_2_]
January 1st 08, 12:40 AM
I use that one,too now...I love it and the cats do too!
Also, the Pet Ecology brand (the one that supposed to tell you of a urinary
problem), is dust free,too.
"Dennis" > wrote in message
> Thanks blkcatgal, I'll look that brand up on the web
>

> "blkcatgal" > wrote in message
>>I recently started using the World's Best Cat Litter. It's made from corn
>>(I think) and has less dust than some of the other types of litters. And
>>it clumps pretty good too.
>>
>> S.
>> --
>> **Visit me and my cats at http://www.island-cats.com/ **
>> ---
>>
>> "Dennis" > wrote in message
>>> Just became a cat owner a few months ago and thought I had done all my
>>> homework on the pros and cons of owning a cat, but there's always
>>> something you miss. In my case, it's the dust from the kitty litter that
>>> has settled over everything in my home. Is there anything that can be
>>> done to eliminate this most annoying problem. And before you even think
>>> of it, I ALREADY OWN A FEATHER DUSTER AND VACUUM CLEANER ;)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dennis

~Jan~
January 1st 08, 04:19 PM
I use these products below, I have 3 cats and 3 boxes
They are great!!! no odors no dust :-)
Yesterday's News litters are made with recycled newspapers and contain no
small particles, so they're truly dust-free.
Fresh Step Crystals offers a convenient, lightweight litter that locks in
odor and absorbs wetness better than the leading clay litter dust-free

"Dennis" > wrote in message
> Just became a cat owner a few months ago and thought I had done all my
> homework on the pros and cons of owning a cat, but there's always
> something you miss. In my case, it's the dust from the kitty litter that
> has settled over everything in my home. Is there anything that can be done
> to eliminate this most annoying problem. And before you even think of it,
> I ALREADY OWN A FEATHER DUSTER AND VACUUM CLEANER ;)
>
> --
> Dennis

Upscale
January 1st 08, 04:34 PM
"Hactar" > wrote in message
> I looked online, but found that with shipping it cost about the same as
> locally. Maybe if you order lots that isn't the case (after all, it'll
> eventually get used, and it won't go bad in the mean time.

I think it depends on where you are for what brands are available. I'm in
Canada and I use Maxx Scoop. Excellent odour control and good dust control.
It's made by Purina.
http://www.purina.ca/products/catboxfiller/cat/default.asp?page=maxxscoop

kraut
January 1st 08, 04:35 PM
On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 16:07:22 GMT, (Hactar)
wrote:

>> >I recently started using the World's Best Cat Litter. It's made from corn
>> >(I think) and has less dust than some of the other types of litters. And
>> >it clumps pretty good too.

>I used it for a while. It pretty well eliminates the ammonia smell
>until it becomes saturated with urine. What it doesn't do is clump up
>the urine so it can be removed. What I do now is mix it approximately
>half-and-half with "Tidy Cat 3" (one time I replenish the box with WBCL,
>the next with TC3). Mostly clumping, but still has the anti-ammonia
>thing going.

I have used Worlds Best for years. In fact that is all I ever used
and never had trouble with "clumping up the urine so it can be
removed".

As for getting saturated with urine if it scooped daily or twice daily
and changed regularly and not let go for extended periods it should
not get saturated. But then I usually scoop mine whenever I see one
of mine use it. Kind of like flushing the toilet every time you use
it. Try to clean litter box every use. Of course I am retired and
home all day so I can.

Good luck

Baldoni[_6_]
January 1st 08, 10:22 PM
Matthew laid this down on his screen :
> Are you using cheap litter if so upgrade
>
> "Dennis" > wrote in message
>> Just became a cat owner a few months ago and thought I had done all my
>> homework on the pros and cons of owning a cat, but there's always something
>> you miss. In my case, it's the dust from the kitty litter that has settled
>> over everything in my home. Is there anything that can be done to eliminate
>> this most annoying problem. And before you even think of it, I ALREADY OWN
>> A FEATHER DUSTER AND VACUUM CLEANER ;)
>>
>> -- Dennis

I keep telling friend it would make more sense for her to use a
different type of litter. She lives in an apartment with refuse
collect once every 2 weeks.

--
Count Baldoni

Shawn Hirn
January 2nd 08, 11:04 AM
In article >,
"Dennis" > wrote:

> Just became a cat owner a few months ago and thought I had done all my
> homework on the pros and cons of owning a cat, but there's always something
> you miss. In my case, it's the dust from the kitty litter that has settled
> over everything in my home. Is there anything that can be done to eliminate
> this most annoying problem. And before you even think of it, I ALREADY OWN A
> FEATHER DUSTER AND VACUUM CLEANER ;)

What kind of kitty litter do you use? I have had a cat for 20 years and
I don't have a problem with that. I use the Fresh Step litter. It works
fine.

Phil P.
January 2nd 08, 04:06 PM
"Dennis" > wrote in message
> Just became a cat owner a few months ago and thought I had done all my
> homework on the pros and cons of owning a cat, but there's always
something
> you miss. In my case, it's the dust from the kitty litter that has settled
> over everything in my home. Is there anything that can be done to
eliminate
> this most annoying problem. And before you even think of it, I ALREADY OWN
> FEATHER DUSTER AND VACUUM CLEANER ;)

"Dust" the litter outside. Use 2 storage bins or 5 gal pails- pour the
litter back and forth from one pail to the other a few times. This will get
rid of most of the dust. Hold the pails as high as you can just before the
litter starts blowing away. The more times you dump the litter back and
forth the more dust you'll eliminate.

Phil

Dennis
January 2nd 08, 10:21 PM
I use Scoop Away
"Shawn Hirn" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Dennis" > wrote:
>
>> Just became a cat owner a few months ago and thought I had done all my
>> homework on the pros and cons of owning a cat, but there's always
>> something
>> you miss. In my case, it's the dust from the kitty litter that has
>> settled
>> over everything in my home. Is there anything that can be done to
>> eliminate
>> this most annoying problem. And before you even think of it, I ALREADY
>> OWN A
>> FEATHER DUSTER AND VACUUM CLEANER ;)
>
> What kind of kitty litter do you use? I have had a cat for 20 years and
> I don't have a problem with that. I use the Fresh Step litter. It works
> fine.

Dennis
January 2nd 08, 10:22 PM
Now that's a great idea !!!!!

"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Dennis" > wrote in message
>> Just became a cat owner a few months ago and thought I had done all my
>> homework on the pros and cons of owning a cat, but there's always
> something
>> you miss. In my case, it's the dust from the kitty litter that has
>> settled
>> over everything in my home. Is there anything that can be done to
> eliminate
>> this most annoying problem. And before you even think of it, I ALREADY
>> OWN
>> FEATHER DUSTER AND VACUUM CLEANER ;)
>
> "Dust" the litter outside. Use 2 storage bins or 5 gal pails- pour the
> litter back and forth from one pail to the other a few times. This will
> get
> rid of most of the dust. Hold the pails as high as you can just before
> the
> litter starts blowing away. The more times you dump the litter back and
> forth the more dust you'll eliminate.
>
> Phil

Kyla%
January 27th 08, 10:52 PM
"Baldoni" <
> Matthew laid this down on his screen :
>> Are you using cheap litter if so upgrade
>>
>> "Dennis"
>>> Just became a cat owner a few months ago and thought I had done all my
>>> homework on the pros and cons of owning a cat, but there's always
>>> something you miss. In my case, it's the dust from the kitty litter that
>>> has settled over everything in my home. Is there anything that can be
>>> done to eliminate this most annoying problem. And before you even think
>>> of it, I ALREADY OWN A FEATHER DUSTER AND VACUUM CLEANER ;)
>>>
>>> -- Dennis
>>>

> I keep telling friend it would make more sense for her to use a different
> type of litter. She lives in an apartment with refuse collect once every
> 2 weeks.
>
> --
> Count Baldoni

Kitty Litter dust can be harmful to humans as well..
we have 4 cats and now use one that is 99% dust free...
Your friend MUST change the litterbox at least wice a DAY! and I use a
Lysol room spray to get rid of the airborne germs from changing the 2
boxes..
and I wear a filter face mask as well.
I got some litter that was dusty and may have gotten sick from inhaling it.
BTW, Hi Count:)
Thanx for the 'heads up' on you know who...
OMG, you've got the M15 guy here too???
He's another paranoid idiot!!

Kyla%b

DanS
January 28th 08, 02:43 PM
In article >, Kyla%
> wrote:

> Kitty Litter dust can be harmful to humans as well..
> we have 4 cats and now use one that is 99% dust free...

I've used litters that are supposedly 99% dust free and still feel like
I'm in Pigpen's dust cloud when I fill the litter box. Can anyone
recommend a brand of scoopable that really is low on dust??

Dan

DanS
January 28th 08, 05:03 PM
In article >, Matthew
> wrote:

> "DanS" > wrote in message
> > In article >, Kyla%
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Kitty Litter dust can be harmful to humans as well..
> >> we have 4 cats and now use one that is 99% dust free...
> >
> > I've used litters that are supposedly 99% dust free and still feel like
> > I'm in Pigpen's dust cloud when I fill the litter box. Can anyone
> > recommend a brand of scoopable that really is low on dust??
> >
> > Dan
>
> In another group Phil had an idea take the litter outside and shift it
> back and forth betweeen containers till the dust is out

I'd thought about doing something like that, or stirring it around in
the litterbox while waving the vacuum cleaner hose over it to suck up
the dust.

Kyla =^..^=
January 28th 08, 08:42 PM
"Matthew" <...

> "DanS" <>,
Matthew

>>> "DanS" <>>> > In article
Kyla%

>>> In another group Phil had an idea take the litter outside and shift it
>>> back and forth betweeen containers till the dust is out
>>>

>> I'd thought about doing something like that, or stirring it around in
>> the litterbox while waving the vacuum cleaner hose over it to suck up
>> the dust.
>
> You could also add a hepa filter machine by it will collect the dust and
> smells

Hmmmmmmm, I have one of those, but I also wear a face mask and spray a Lysol
air germ killer before I enter the catbox room...that helps too.
Kyla%b

William Graham
January 28th 08, 08:58 PM
"DanS" > wrote in message
> In article >, Matthew
> > wrote:
>
>> "DanS" > wrote in message
>> > In article >, Kyla%

>> > I've used litters that are supposedly 99% dust free and still feel like
>> > I'm in Pigpen's dust cloud when I fill the litter box. Can anyone
>> > recommend a brand of scoopable that really is low on dust??
>> >
>> > Dan
>>
>> In another group Phil had an idea take the litter outside and shift it
>> back and forth betweeen containers till the dust is out
>>

> I'd thought about doing something like that, or stirring it around in
> the litterbox while waving the vacuum cleaner hose over it to suck up
> the dust.

The, "clumping" type is more dust free than the other.....Easier to work
with, too.......

DanS
January 28th 08, 09:18 PM
In article >, William
Graham > wrote:

> "DanS" > wrote in message
> > In article >, Matthew
> > > wrote:

> >> In another group Phil had an idea take the litter outside and shift it
> >> back and forth betweeen containers till the dust is out
> >>

> > I'd thought about doing something like that, or stirring it around in
> > the litterbox while waving the vacuum cleaner hose over it to suck up
> > the dust.
>
> The, "clumping" type is more dust free than the other.....Easier to work
> with, too.......

Actually, I meant clumping. I was thinking that I scoop out the clumps
and called it "scoopable" but I meant "clumping".

William Graham
January 28th 08, 10:20 PM
"DanS" > wrote in message
> In article >, William
> Graham > wrote:
>
>> "DanS" > wrote in message
>> > In article >, Matthew

>> > I'd thought about doing something like that, or stirring it around in
>> > the litterbox while waving the vacuum cleaner hose over it to suck up
>> > the dust.
>>
>> The, "clumping" type is more dust free than the other.....Easier to work
>> with, too.......
>>

> Actually, I meant clumping. I was thinking that I scoop out the clumps
> and called it "scoopable" but I meant "clumping".

I wonder how these automatic, "self cleaning" ones they advertise on TV
work.....Are they safe for the cat? - I mean, I would hate to have one of my
cats get caught in the mechanism. Do they know if the cat is currently using
it? You could enclose it in a box, and vent it to the outside with a small
muffin fan if it really bothered you that much.....If nothing else, It would
get the smell out of the house......

Upscale
January 29th 08, 01:11 AM
"William Graham" > wrote in message

> I wonder how these automatic, "self cleaning" ones they advertise on TV
> work.....Are they safe for the cat? - I mean, I would hate to have one of
my
> cats get caught in the mechanism. Do they know if the cat is currently
using
> it?

I've had three Littermaids and finally came to the conclusion that I was
wasting money. The first was replaced under warranty. It died a few weeks
after the one year warranty expired. When the third one screwed up I tossed
it and didn't bother getting it replace under the warranty. It's almost as
easy to scoop a regular litter box as it is to toss and then replace the
waste tray from one of the automatic units. As far as knowing it's running,
you can hear it straining the litter. In the beginning, my cat would watch
it running and I'm sure she was jumping into it occasionally just to see it
run, but she wouldn't jump in if it was running at the time.

seejaneburn
January 29th 08, 07:59 AM
(de-lurking for a minute)
I know it's not scoopable, but I use the recycled newspaper litter, for four
reasons: Dust free, so much lower risk of respiratory problems and airborn
greeblies, low odour (it seems to mask ammonia very well), cheap so instead
of scooping I just tip the whole lot in the bin every day and it can be
bought in bulk, and environmentally friendly. I'm in Australia so not sure
what is available to you, but after testing many litter brands and types,
this seems to be the best combined value for money/odour control/healthwise
of the brands available to me. Another good alternative if you can find it
is lucerne pellets, often can be bought in bulk at feed stores for a few
dollars a litre.

dgk
January 29th 08, 02:00 PM
On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 20:11:13 -0500, "Upscale" >
wrote:

>"William Graham" > wrote in message
>>
>> I wonder how these automatic, "self cleaning" ones they advertise on TV
>> work.....Are they safe for the cat? - I mean, I would hate to have one of
>my
>> cats get caught in the mechanism. Do they know if the cat is currently
>using
>> it?
>
>I've had three Littermaids and finally came to the conclusion that I was
>wasting money. The first was replaced under warranty. It died a few weeks
>after the one year warranty expired. When the third one screwed up I tossed
>it and didn't bother getting it replace under the warranty. It's almost as
>easy to scoop a regular litter box as it is to toss and then replace the
>waste tray from one of the automatic units. As far as knowing it's running,
>you can hear it straining the litter. In the beginning, my cat would watch
>it running and I'm sure she was jumping into it occasionally just to see it
>run, but she wouldn't jump in if it was running at the time.

This topic comes up often and most folks think that Littermaid is a
waste of money. Having looked around a bit I almost bought this one:

http://www.litter-robot.com/

It is NOT cheap, around $300.

I didn't buy it because I'm going to have the bathroom redone soon and
I'm going to try to have a litter box area where an electric eye turns
on a fan/filter when the darlings use the box. I really don't mind
scooping but I do hate the dust. Checking the litter is one of the
ways we can tell how our felines are feeling and I really hate to give
that up.

But if I was going to buy one of these things, this is the one I would
get.

Upscale
January 29th 08, 04:28 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message

> http://www.litter-robot.com/
> It is NOT cheap, around $300.

> I didn't buy it because I'm going to have the bathroom redone soon and
> I'm going to try to have a litter box area where an electric eye turns
> on a fan/filter when the darlings use the box. I really don't mind
> scooping but I do hate the dust. Checking the litter is one of the
> ways we can tell how our felines are feeling and I really hate to give
> that up.

I considered one of those at one point, but it doesn't really seem like
there's a lot a space in there for a cat. And although poop might be
filtered away quickly, when she pees it would be hitting the sides of the
LitterRobot. I know if I was a cat, climbing into that thing wouldn't be
pleasant. I think the biggest thing I didn't like about the Littermaid
wasn't that it was breaking down (although that was certainly a contributing
factor), but that there were so many nooks and crannies for poop to get
lodged in and that it was a really big pain in the ass to clean when I
wanted to every month or two.

Another thing that bothered me with the Littermaid is that the sides of them
aren't as high as they could be and my big cat sometimes sprayed over the
edge of the Littermaid.

D.

dgk
January 29th 08, 05:54 PM
On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 11:28:11 -0500, "Upscale" >
wrote:

>"dgk" > wrote in message
>>
>> http://www.litter-robot.com/
>> It is NOT cheap, around $300.
>
>> I didn't buy it because I'm going to have the bathroom redone soon and
>> I'm going to try to have a litter box area where an electric eye turns
>> on a fan/filter when the darlings use the box. I really don't mind
>> scooping but I do hate the dust. Checking the litter is one of the
>> ways we can tell how our felines are feeling and I really hate to give
>> that up.
>
>I considered one of those at one point, but it doesn't really seem like
>there's a lot a space in there for a cat. And although poop might be
>filtered away quickly, when she pees it would be hitting the sides of the
>LitterRobot. I know if I was a cat, climbing into that thing wouldn't be
>pleasant. I think the biggest thing I didn't like about the Littermaid
>wasn't that it was breaking down (although that was certainly a contributing
>factor), but that there were so many nooks and crannies for poop to get
>lodged in and that it was a really big pain in the ass to clean when I
>wanted to every month or two.
>
>Another thing that bothered me with the Littermaid is that the sides of them
>aren't as high as they could be and my big cat sometimes sprayed over the
>edge of the Littermaid.
>
>D.

Folks seem to really like that Litter-robot though. Of course, they
could all be stockholders. I'm not.

Bob
January 29th 08, 05:55 PM
I use this one. It claims to be 99% dust free and I find the claim to be
true.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2750937&cp=2767033.2845025&view=all&pg=2&fbn=Taxonomy%7CLitter&f=Taxonomy%2FPET%2F2845025&fbc=1&parentPage=family&keepsr=1

"dgk" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 20:11:13 -0500, "Upscale" >
> wrote:
>

>>"William Graham" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> I wonder how these automatic, "self cleaning" ones they advertise on TV
>>> work.....Are they safe for the cat? - I mean, I would hate to have one
>>> of
>>my
>>> cats get caught in the mechanism. Do they know if the cat is currently
>>using
>>> it?
>>
>>I've had three Littermaids and finally came to the conclusion that I was
>>wasting money. The first was replaced under warranty. It died a few weeks
>>after the one year warranty expired. When the third one screwed up I
>>tossed
>>it and didn't bother getting it replace under the warranty. It's almost as
>>easy to scoop a regular litter box as it is to toss and then replace the
>>waste tray from one of the automatic units. As far as knowing it's
>>running,
>>you can hear it straining the litter. In the beginning, my cat would watch
>>it running and I'm sure she was jumping into it occasionally just to see
>>it
>>run, but she wouldn't jump in if it was running at the time.
>>

> This topic comes up often and most folks think that Littermaid is a
> waste of money. Having looked around a bit I almost bought this one:
>
> http://www.litter-robot.com/
>
> It is NOT cheap, around $300.
>
> I didn't buy it because I'm going to have the bathroom redone soon and
> I'm going to try to have a litter box area where an electric eye turns
> on a fan/filter when the darlings use the box. I really don't mind
> scooping but I do hate the dust. Checking the litter is one of the
> ways we can tell how our felines are feeling and I really hate to give
> that up.
>
> But if I was going to buy one of these things, this is the one I would
> get.

DanS
January 29th 08, 09:29 PM
In article >, Bob
> wrote:

> I use this one. It claims to be 99% dust free and I find the claim to be
> true.

I may have to try this because the Scoop Away I currently use is WAY
too dusty.

Thanks!

Bob
January 29th 08, 11:11 PM
You're welcome.

It's cheaper too ;-)

"DanS" > wrote in message
> In article >, Bob
> > wrote:
>
>> I use this one. It claims to be 99% dust free and I find the claim to be
>> true.
>
> I may have to try this because the Scoop Away I currently use is WAY
> too dusty.
>
> Thanks!

Upscale
January 30th 08, 12:17 AM
"DanS" > wrote in message

> I may have to try this because the Scoop Away I currently use is WAY
> too dusty.

I'm not sure that it's available where you are, but here in Canada, I use
Maxx Scoop. It's almost dust free and has superb odour control.

dgk
January 31st 08, 02:02 PM
On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 16:29:05 -0500, DanS >
wrote:

>In article >, Bob
> wrote:
>
>> I use this one. It claims to be 99% dust free and I find the claim to be
>> true.
>
>I may have to try this because the Scoop Away I currently use is WAY
>too dusty.
>
>Thanks!

Oh, Scoop Away SUCKS. Big time. I don't know if they changed the
formula or something but I told my SO the other day to remind me NEVER
to get Scoop Away again. I use Tidy Cat and Arm and Hammer and some
other brands carried by Target, but Scoop Away should come with a free
air cleaner.

dgk
January 31st 08, 02:03 PM
On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 12:55:50 -0500, "Bob" > wrote:

>I use this one. It claims to be 99% dust free and I find the claim to be
>true.
>http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2750937&cp=2767033.2845025&view=all&pg=2&fbn=Taxonomy%7CLitter&f=Taxonomy%2FPET%2F2845025&fbc=1&parentPage=family&keepsr=1

I'd like to try that but deliver is a problem for me. I really need
something that I can get directly.

DanS
February 3rd 08, 01:26 PM
In article
>,
> wrote:

> > I'd thought about doing something like that, or stirring it around in
> > the litterbox while waving the vacuum cleaner hose over it to suck up
> > the dust.- Hide quoted text -

> Try adding good old Borax

What does Borax do for kitty litter dust?

cybercat
February 3rd 08, 05:29 PM
"DanS" > wrote in message
> In article
> >,
> > wrote:
>

>> > I'd thought about doing something like that, or stirring it around in
>> > the litterbox while waving the vacuum cleaner hose over it to suck up
>> > the dust.- Hide quoted text -

>> Try adding good old Borax
>
> What does Borax do for kitty litter dust?

And what does it do to cats when they ingest it?

kuhnfucius
February 7th 08, 04:18 PM
I use the "close spaces" tidy cat. This is a more expensive liter and not
all stores in my area carry this specific type of Tidy Cat, but as far as
dust is concerned it is one of the best that I have tried (not saying that I
have tried all brands). I was disappointed with arm & hammer's liter
because of dust.
Close Spaces granules seem to be larger than other types and my pride's feet
seem to carry them all over the place ....
"cybercat" > wrote in message
.. .

> "DanS" > wrote in message
>> In article
>> >,

>>> Try adding good old Borax
>>
>> What does Borax do for kitty litter dust?
>
> And what does it do to cats when they ingest it?

maxwell
March 5th 08, 07:01 AM
"Dennis" > wrote in message
> Just became a cat owner a few months ago and thought I had done all my
> homework on the pros and cons of owning a cat, but there's always
> something you miss. In my case, it's the dust from the kitty litter that
> has settled over everything in my home. Is there anything that can be done
> to eliminate this most annoying problem. And before you even think of it,
> I ALREADY OWN A FEATHER DUSTER AND VACUUM CLEANER ;)
> Dennis

This one:
http://www.naturesearth.com/
(I use the pelletized one)
Not only do you have no more clay dust, but the pine wood compressed flake
pellets break down into a coarse enough 'saw dust' in the pan over several
days, that doesn't get tracked even a fraction as much as clay, and never
breaks down to fine airborne dust, and also provides a natural deodorizer of
urine--this makes for far less changing of the litter (other than scooping
turds).
Two cats peeing in a good-sized pan with a bit over an inch of this poured
initially will need over a week of usage before odor of urine becomes
apparent.
Also, as the volume is much greater by weight, the ~$10 per 20 pound bag
works out not so costly as one might think. Roughly, it's equivalent to over
well 3 times the usage per pound as the clay, perhaps more. By my estimate,
I get six fills, more than six weeks, from the 20 pound bag. I've been using
it for many years now--it's really the best.
-maxwell

Granby
March 10th 08, 02:31 AM
Hello Kyla, fancy seeing you here. was wondering over he cat groups.
"Kyla =^..^=" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Matthew" <...
>>
>> "DanS" <>,
> Matthew

> Kyla%

>>> I'd thought about doing something like that, or stirring it around in
>>> the litterbox while waving the vacuum cleaner hose over it to suck up
>>> the dust.
>>
>> You could also add a hepa filter machine by it will collect the dust and
>> smells
>
> Hmmmmmmm, I have one of those, but I also wear a face mask and spray a
> Lysol air germ killer before I enter the catbox room...that helps too.
> Kyla%b

Bob
March 12th 08, 09:53 PM