PDA

View Full Version : What to do about skittish cats?


CourtneyCat
December 31st 07, 06:57 PM
I have this friend that has a cat. The cat hasn't been handled very much but
it is very cute. Anyways the kitten doesn't like to come out of her hiding
place. So we have to move furniture to get it out. But when we do get the
kitten out it is very scared. So I would like to know how to make the cat
feel more at home and not as skittish. PLEASE HELP!!!

Gail[_2_]
December 31st 07, 07:29 PM
She should be kept in a room by herself with bed, litter, food and water.
Sit in the room quietly while she eats. Gradually let her get used to you
(or your friend). This will take time. She should not be allowed to hide in
the room, but expose her to people gradually.
Gail
"CourtneyCat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>I have this friend that has a cat. The cat hasn't been handled very much
>but
> it is very cute. Anyways the kitten doesn't like to come out of her hiding
> place. So we have to move furniture to get it out. But when we do get the
> kitten out it is very scared. So I would like to know how to make the cat
> feel more at home and not as skittish. PLEASE HELP!!!
>

Jean B.
December 31st 07, 08:33 PM
CourtneyCat wrote:
> I have this friend that has a cat. The cat hasn't been handled very much but
> it is very cute. Anyways the kitten doesn't like to come out of her hiding
> place. So we have to move furniture to get it out. But when we do get the
> kitten out it is very scared. So I would like to know how to make the cat
> feel more at home and not as skittish. PLEASE HELP!!!
>
Why are you getting the cat out? I'd associate with it on its
own terms. Mingy is very skittish, and I let him hide. I do
sometimes check to see if he is in his hiding place, but I
don't drag him out of it.

--
Jean B.

CourtneyCat
December 31st 07, 09:59 PM
thats what i have been doing but the kitten is not sure to trust me or not.
All the sounds are different too so should i leave it in that room?

Gail wrote:
>She should be kept in a room by herself with bed, litter, food and water.
>Sit in the room quietly while she eats. Gradually let her get used to you
>(or your friend). This will take time. She should not be allowed to hide in
>the room, but expose her to people gradually.
>Gail
>>I have this friend that has a cat. The cat hasn't been handled very much
>>but
>> it is very cute. Anyways the kitten doesn't like to come out of her hiding
>> place. So we have to move furniture to get it out. But when we do get the
>> kitten out it is very scared. So I would like to know how to make the cat
>> feel more at home and not as skittish. PLEASE HELP!!!

Gail[_2_]
December 31st 07, 10:38 PM
Yes, I would leave her in the room. She will feel secure in there. She is
hiding because she is afraid and doesn't feel secure.
Gail
"CourtneyCat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> thats what i have been doing but the kitten is not sure to trust me or
> not.
> All the sounds are different too so should i leave it in that room?
>
> Gail wrote:
>>She should be kept in a room by herself with bed, litter, food and water.
>>Sit in the room quietly while she eats. Gradually let her get used to you
>>(or your friend). This will take time. She should not be allowed to hide
>>in
>>the room, but expose her to people gradually.
>>Gail
>>>I have this friend that has a cat. The cat hasn't been handled very much
>>>but
>>> it is very cute. Anyways the kitten doesn't like to come out of her
>>> hiding
>>> place. So we have to move furniture to get it out. But when we do get
>>> the
>>> kitten out it is very scared. So I would like to know how to make the
>>> cat
>>> feel more at home and not as skittish. PLEASE HELP!!!
>

CourtneyCat via CatKB.com
January 1st 08, 05:27 PM
Today the kitten is much better. It will stay in a room with you and sleep
with you as long as the door is shut and it has been around you. But i do
have another problem, the kitten eats alot but uasually it is the soft food.
My friend only gives the kitten (Cocoa) a teaspoon at a time. It also has
hard food out but it seems to eat the soft food more. Should she let Cocoa
eat it so she will feel more comfortable?

If you have any questions i would be glad to answer them. I have many cats
and dogs i just wanted to make sure i am doing the right thing.

Gail wrote:
>Yes, I would leave her in the room. She will feel secure in there. She is
>hiding because she is afraid and doesn't feel secure.
>Gail
>> thats what i have been doing but the kitten is not sure to trust me or
>> not.
>[quoted text clipped - 15 lines]
>>>> cat
>>>> feel more at home and not as skittish. PLEASE HELP!!!

--
Message posted via http://www.catkb.com

CourtneyCat via CatKB.com
January 1st 08, 05:32 PM
It neeeds to get used to people.Today the kitten is much better. after
getting her out and making her feel at home.

Jean B. wrote:
>> I have this friend that has a cat. The cat hasn't been handled very much but
>> it is very cute. Anyways the kitten doesn't like to come out of her hiding
>> place. So we have to move furniture to get it out. But when we do get the
>> kitten out it is very scared. So I would like to know how to make the cat
>> feel more at home and not as skittish. PLEASE HELP!!!
>
>Why are you getting the cat out? I'd associate with it on its
>own terms. Mingy is very skittish, and I let him hide. I do
>sometimes check to see if he is in his hiding place, but I
>don't drag him out of it.
>

--
Message posted via http://www.catkb.com

Richard Evans
January 1st 08, 06:00 PM
"CourtneyCat via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Today the kitten is much better. It will stay in a room with you and sleep
>with you as long as the door is shut and it has been around you. But i do
>have another problem, the kitten eats alot but uasually it is the soft food.
>My friend only gives the kitten (Cocoa) a teaspoon at a time. It also has
>hard food out but it seems to eat the soft food more. Should she let Cocoa
>eat it so she will feel more comfortable?

He who controls the food controls the cat. If there is something the
cat especially likes, dole it out in small quantities and make the cat
come to you to get it. If the cat is really shy (unapproachable) set
the food on the floor and stay as near as the cat will allow. In
subsequent feedings, move gradually closer. Eventually, make the cat
come to your lap and take food from your hand.

CourtneyCat via CatKB.com
January 1st 08, 11:36 PM
the kitten (Ccoa) is doing good today. all except for the food issue. it does
get on your lap. it likes to lay in its litter box though. the thing is it
wont eat or drink with people around.

Richard Evans wrote:
>>Today the kitten is much better. It will stay in a room with you and sleep
>>with you as long as the door is shut and it has been around you. But i do
>>have another problem, the kitten eats alot but uasually it is the soft food.
>>My friend only gives the kitten (Cocoa) a teaspoon at a time. It also has
>>hard food out but it seems to eat the soft food more. Should she let Cocoa
>>eat it so she will feel more comfortable?
>
>He who controls the food controls the cat. If there is something the
>cat especially likes, dole it out in small quantities and make the cat
>come to you to get it. If the cat is really shy (unapproachable) set
>the food on the floor and stay as near as the cat will allow. In
>subsequent feedings, move gradually closer. Eventually, make the cat
>come to your lap and take food from your hand.

--
Message posted via http://www.catkb.com