PDA

View Full Version : Cat Depression Update

Cat Protector
January 2nd 08, 03:52 AM
Jade still refuses to eat and is growing weaker. I called the vet today and
he said that if she's still not wanting to eat then to bring her in
tomorrow. He also said I should force feed her as well. I've been giving her
chicken broth via a syringe and also gave her prednisone. Her breathing is
pretty weak and I've done everything I can. It's very strange that all this
started happening around the time Icarus went in for treatment. She's
dropped quite a bit of weight even though she's overweight.

I'm very sad that she's going through this. First Icarus goes through a
serious illness and spends 5 days in the hospital and now Jade is fading. I
don't intend on giving up on her but I can't help but wonder if her illness
is possibly one involving some type of cancer. I guess it's going to be a
long night.

RowwwHissssPurr
January 2nd 08, 04:31 AM
"Cat Protector" > wrote in
:

> I'm very sad that she's going through this. First Icarus goes through
> a serious illness and spends 5 days in the hospital and now Jade is
> fading. I don't intend on giving up on her but I can't help but wonder
> if her illness is possibly one involving some type of cancer. I guess
> it's going to be a long night.

I know how bad you must feel at this point. You have my sympathy.

Just a long shot, have you introduced any new house plants or chewable
Holiday decorations recently which would be accessible to both your cats?

We had to exile the houseplants to the enclosed patio when our largest male
lost his appetite and all his energy after gnawing on them. Your cats'
symptoms sound eerily similar. His recovery began about a day after his
munchy plants were replaced by Cat Grass.

blkcatgal
January 2nd 08, 04:39 AM
I hope you can figure out what is going on with Jade. Taking her to the vet
is the best thing to do. Maybe the vet can prescribe an appetite stimulant
to jump start her eating. It does seem odd that her problems began at the
same time that Icarus. Good luck. Keep us posted on what happens.

Sue
---

"Cat Protector" > wrote in message
> Jade still refuses to eat and is growing weaker. I called the vet today
> and he said that if she's still not wanting to eat then to bring her in
> tomorrow. He also said I should force feed her as well. I've been giving
> her chicken broth via a syringe and also gave her prednisone. Her
> breathing is pretty weak and I've done everything I can. It's very strange
> that all this started happening around the time Icarus went in for
> treatment. She's dropped quite a bit of weight even though she's
> overweight.
>
> I'm very sad that she's going through this. First Icarus goes through a
> serious illness and spends 5 days in the hospital and now Jade is fading.
> I don't intend on giving up on her but I can't help but wonder if her
> illness is possibly one involving some type of cancer. I guess it's going
> to be a long night.

Cat Protector
January 2nd 08, 05:49 AM
"RowwwHissssPurr" > wrote in message
> I know how bad you must feel at this point. You have my sympathy.
>
> Just a long shot, have you introduced any new house plants or chewable
> Holiday decorations recently which would be accessible to both your cats?
>
> We had to exile the houseplants to the enclosed patio when our largest
> male
> lost his appetite and all his energy after gnawing on them. Your cats'
> symptoms sound eerily similar. His recovery began about a day after his
> munchy plants were replaced by Cat Grass.

Thanks. No plants or any chewable decorations.

Cat Protector
January 2nd 08, 05:59 AM
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
. ..
>I hope you can figure out what is going on with Jade. Taking her to the
>vet is the best thing to do. Maybe the vet can prescribe an appetite
>stimulant to jump start her eating. It does seem odd that her problems
>began at the same time that Icarus. Good luck. Keep us posted on what
>happens.
>
> Sue

Thanks. It's a bit emotional and nerve wracking. It seemed like at some
points she just lost the will to live. I'm hoping for the best but fear that
this could be serious illness. I think it could be a URI but then again
she's had no discharge from the eyes or nose and hasn't sneezed. Her
breathing through her nose sounds congested but then again it could be
because she hasn't been eating. I have no idea what she has but I feel
horrible for her.

catprotector
January 2nd 08, 07:56 PM
On Jan 1, 10:59 pm, "Cat Protector" > wrote:
> "blkcatgal" > wrote in message
>
> . ..
>
> >I hope you can figure out what is going on with Jade. Taking her to the
> >vet is the best thing to do. Maybe the vet can prescribe an appetite
> >stimulant to jump start her eating. It does seem odd that her problems
> >began at the same time that Icarus. Good luck. Keep us posted on what
> >happens.

I took Jade to the vet this morning and she still was pretty listless.
Her
temperature was so low they couldn't get a reading and she was really
dehydrated (despite pumping a lot of water and chicken broth via
syringe
into her). He is putting her in a heat cage to try and get her
temperature
up and she'll be there overnight. He also took a blood sample and put
her on
IV fluids. I fear that she might have cancer but the vet thinks she
might
have some kind of disease. Other than the weight loss, she hid this
really
well and the vet says that some cancers aren't so easily detectible.
It's
possible that she might not last the night but the blood work will
tell us
if this illness is treatable. It seems so unfair to have one cat I
loved get
saved only to use another as I love all 3.

Icarus is on the mend and starting to get back to his mischievous ways
but
he is also concerned about Jade as is Isis. He'll still be on meds for
the
next few weeks and I'm closely watching him because the vet said that
he
possibly could get plugged up again. He's eating, drink and using the
litterbox regularly however he still is urinating in other places
given the
illness.