PDA

View Full Version : 19 1/2 year old cat has seizures

Sannamoo via CatKB.com
January 4th 08, 03:57 AM
My 19 1/2 year old cat, Sandy had a stroke about 6 months ago. She is deaf
now. My vet put her on prednisolone, 7 1/2 mg per day. She has started have
seizures for about 3 months now. They last for about 1 minute, she can't
stand and is lethargic afterwards.
The seizures are becoming more frequent. (she had one 2 days ago and again
today) - She is still a happy cat, purrs, eats well and is very loving.
I don't know what to expect. Is one of these seizures gonna just kill her??
Is one of the seizures gonna make her where she can't stand permanently?
I really am not ready to have her put to sleep because she is still such a
sweet and loving cat.
Any experience with this or any suggestions? Thanks, Becky and Sandy =^-
^=

Gail[_2_]
January 4th 08, 04:19 AM
She needs to see the vet again. There is medication for seizures.
Gail
"Sannamoo via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> My 19 1/2 year old cat, Sandy had a stroke about 6 months ago. She is
> deaf
> now. My vet put her on prednisolone, 7 1/2 mg per day. She has started
> have
> seizures for about 3 months now. They last for about 1 minute, she can't
> stand and is lethargic afterwards.
> The seizures are becoming more frequent. (she had one 2 days ago and again
> today) - She is still a happy cat, purrs, eats well and is very loving.
> I don't know what to expect. Is one of these seizures gonna just kill
> her??
> Is one of the seizures gonna make her where she can't stand permanently?
> I really am not ready to have her put to sleep because she is still such a
> sweet and loving cat.
> Any experience with this or any suggestions? Thanks, Becky and Sandy
> =^-
> ^=

Rene S.
January 4th 08, 03:11 PM
Please take Sandy to another vet for a second opinion. Having frequent
seizures is NOT normal and she needs treatment and possibly
medication. I'd also suggest getting copies of all her records to take
to the new vet.

Rene

Sheelagh>\o\
January 4th 08, 08:58 PM
On Jan 4, 2:57*am, "Sannamoo via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote:
> My 19 1/2 year old cat, Sandy had a stroke about 6 months ago. *She is deaf
> now. My vet put her on prednisolone, 7 1/2 mg per day. She has started have
> seizures for about 3 months now. *They last for about 1 minute, she can't
> stand and is lethargic afterwards. *
> The seizures are becoming more frequent. (she had one 2 days ago and again
> today) - *She is still a happy cat, purrs, eats well and is very loving.
> I don't know what to expect. *Is one of these seizures gonna just kill her??
> Is one of the seizures gonna make her where she can't stand permanently? *
> I really am not ready to have her put to sleep because she is still such a
> sweet and loving cat.
> Any experience with this or any suggestions? * Thanks, *Becky and Sandy * =^-
> ^=

I agree. This mature old lady needs to go to see the vet. The seizures
could be happening for any numbers of reasons, & I fear that if you
don't take her soon, that the chances of her recovering from these
frequent bouts of seizures is far less than they would be if you took
her.

The frequency of the fits, & the length of them is even more
worrying.
Please don't think I am trying to be alarmist ( or derogatory
either!!)- far from it! I suffer from epilepsy myself so I know
exactly what a fit is like. I can see that your cat is very important
to you- So to avoid waking up one morning to find her in real trouble,
book her in & see what they can offer you. It is not all gloom Doom. I
can think of 5 people on this site who have have had to pill their
cat's daily for many years now, & all but one of those slave- drivers
are still with us today. Take strength from that & go for it. Your cat
will be so grateful to you.

I would love to know how you got on with the vet after you take her,
as long as you have the time to let us know how it went Please?
TIA & Good Luck!!,
Sheelagh >"o"<