PDA

View Full Version : My cat's long battle with a mysterious auto-immune disease

January 4th 08, 06:29 AM
Back in late February, my cat Mouse began acting funny. Everything
began with her voice getting weaker and squeakier, and some lethargy
and a decline in her appetite. Everything happened very gradually and
we deduced that she had a cold. We tried waiting it out, but when it
became apparent that she wasn't getting better, but worse, we took her
to the vet in early April. We waited so long because taking her to
the vet was always such a traumatizing experience for her that we
hated to put her through that. We were beginning to suspect that she
had diabetes, because she also had developed a greatly increased
thirst. Mouse was also to the point where she couldn't meow or purr
anymore, only make a very faint hissing sound. The vet tried to take
a blood sample, but she couldn't get it to work, so she had to pull
her out of her cage and carry her back there AGAIN to re-do it. They
had trouble with that sample too, and called us back a while later
after we went home to tell us that Mouse was so anemic that they
couldn't get a proper blood sample from her, her blood was too thin.
She said she was shocked that Mouse was still alive at that point. We
were given steroids that would gradually increase her blood count, but
we were told Mouse may have a kidney or liver problem along with the
anemia, and if she did (which they couldn't deduce until her
bloodcount was high enough for a test), the steroids would kill her.
But WITHOUT the steroids, we were told, she had no chance. We were in
a box. So we gave her the steroids and she gradually got better, and
the vet said that her blood count was finally high enough to do the
test. Luckily, no kidney or liver problems. We went home and she
slowly started to get worse again. We took her back to the vet and
they said that she was EVEN WORSE than the first time we brought her
in. She was flabbergasted, because she said the vast majority of cats
would have been DEAD with a HIGHER blood count than Mouse had at that
point. Apparently, she was one tough puss. So we had no other
choice but to begin a higher, mroe dangerous dose of steroids. Nasty
stuff. She developed a terrible infection in one eye, and then the
other. She went completely blind. Her pupils were gone. The eye
drops we gave her up until the very end did nothing for her. Her eyes
leaked constantly, and one of them crusted over completely until she
clawed the stuff off in the night, leaving her with no furr around her
eye. She began losing the furr on her face. She apparently had a
stroke or something and she began holding her neck crooked, and
walking crooked. We had to carry her everywhere and tap on her food
and water dishes to indicate to her where they were. One morning when
I got up she was sopping wet and I realized that she had fallen in her
water dish. We began shutting her in my mom's bedroom to sleep with
her at night, the floor covered with plastic and newspaper (she went
on the floor a lot). She'd sometimes bump into things and fall over.
We'd have to hold onto her while she was in the litter box because a
couple times she actually fell over on her side and hit the floor very
hard. She apparently began losing her mind, because everytime we'd
set her in the box, she'd start eating the litter and we;d have to
reach down and block her from doing it. We'd often carry her outside
and let her lie in the sun, or if it was hot, the shade. You could
tell she absolutely LOVED it, although the first few times afetr she
went blind she was scared. Sometimes my mom would sit in the recliner
and hold Mouse and rock her like a baby. She looked absolutely
terrible for a while, like a corpse pulled out of a dumpster, but she
was still our adorable little Mousie. You'd crack open her can or
open the door to go carry her inside and her head would pop up, and
she'd try to look around, doing that silent meow. Oddly enough, she
developed a ravenous appetite when she was at her sickest. She ate
like our dog. You couldn't feed her enough. But alhough her belly
grew, she remained emaciated, her spine and hips poking out. You'd
pet her and all you'd feel were bones. There were a couple times when
my parents were going to have her put her to sleep and I sobbed and
sobbed, but they backed out at the last minute, saying as long as she
wasn't apparently in any pain, we'd let her stay and die peacefully in
her own home. Me took her off the steroids at the end because they
weren't helping, they were only giving her terrible infections. On
September 27, my beloved dog unexpectedly had to be euthanized. He
was in terrible pain from airthritis and was walking around with his
tail tucked under him, quivering, and was even losing his mind. The
last time I saw him was when he was lieing trembling in the yard,
watching me go with a pained expression on his face. I was utterly
devestated. I had been expecting Mouse's death for a long time, but
not my dog's. The night of October 19, I was sitting in a recliner,
crying over the loss of my dog. I was a wreck. My dad tried to calm
me down by holding Mousie in my lap. I hadn't noticed that she really
was dieing the last few days. She just laid there, limp, like a
ragdoll. She got up for the last time to defecate all over the living
room rug. My mom took her to bed that night and said, "You might want
to pet her, I don't think she's going to make it through the night."
I was skeptical, as she had said that a few times before, but I got
down on my knees and stroked her. She seemed totally unaware of the
world around her. That morning I got out of bed only to discover that
my beloved cat that I'd had since I was 9 years old, had died in her
sleep. I saw her stiff corpse. I was in shcok. I had just had my
two childhood companions taken away from me within three weeks of each
other after a decade together. I didn't know how I could possibly
deal with one dieing. Now I had to deal with BOTH of them dieing. I
still miss them both every day. I dream about them almost every
night. I feel bad about those instances when I got mad at them and
said things I shouldn't have. And I feel bad about the times after my
dog's death when I'd come home, walk in the door, and sweet little
Mousie would stagger out, blind, to try and greet me. All I could do
was sulk that JACK wasn't there to greet us the way he always used
to. I feel bad about the time that I actually began feeling hostile
towards her, as though it were her fault that she wasn't getting
better. But those feelings quickly passed and I never treated her
badly. I did everything I could to make her last months on this
planet as comfortable as possible. She looked terrible, but she was
still my baby. I'd do anything to have her and my dog back. I tear
up as I sit her typing this. Has anyone ever heard of a cat going
through such a horrible mysterious illness, and then actually going
blind from the steroids? It's amazing that she was able to fight as
long as she did.

January 4th 08, 06:34 AM
On Jan 4, 1:29*am, wrote:
> [...]
> dog's death when I'd come home, walk in the door, and sweet little
> Mousie would stagger out, blind, to try and greet me. *All I could do
> was sulk that JACK wasn't there to greet us the way he always used
> to. *I feel bad about the time that I actually began feeling hostile
> towards her, as though it were her fault that she wasn't getting
> better. *But those feelings quickly passed and I never treated her
> badly. *I did everything I could to make her last months on this
> planet as comfortable as possible. *She looked terrible, but she was
> still my baby. *I'd do anything to have her and my dog back. *I tear
> up as I sit her typing this. *Has anyone ever heard of a cat going
> through such a horrible mysterious illness, and then actually going
> blind from the steroids? *It's amazing that she was able to fight as

By the way, it was apparently congestive heart failure that finally
took her. Her stomache had become very bloated, even after she
stopped eating so much again. But through the months there were so
many times when we thought she was going to die that day. One day in
particular stand out, when I was home alone and my cat was lieing on
the kicthen rug, on her side, struggling to breathe. I called my mom
and was sobbing, "She's dieing, what do I do?" That was a long time
before she actually died, and oddly enough ,that was the only time she
showed signs of having breathing difficulties. She spent that day
lieing on a blanket in the kicthen, unable to walk. She'd only lift
her head to get a drink or eat. We were stunned that she made it
through the day, let alone several weeks afterwards.

cybercat
January 4th 08, 02:29 PM
> [...]
> said things I shouldn't have. And I feel bad about the times after my
> dog's death when I'd come home, walk in the door, and sweet little
> Mousie would stagger out, blind, to try and greet me. All I could do
> was sulk that JACK wasn't there to greet us the way he always used
> to. I feel bad about the time that I actually began feeling hostile
> towards her, as though it were her fault that she wasn't getting
> better. But those feelings quickly passed and I never treated her
> badly. I did everything I could to make her last months on this
> planet as comfortable as possible. She looked terrible, but she was
> still my baby. I'd do anything to have her and my dog back. I tear
> up as I sit her typing this. Has anyone ever heard of a cat going
> through such a horrible mysterious illness, and then actually going
> blind from the steroids? It's amazing that she was able to fight as

This has got to be a troll.

You waited months to get the cat the care it needed, then let it slowly die
in
agony, instead of having it humanely euthanized?

Nah, I'm not biting.

January 4th 08, 03:08 PM
> wrote
>By the way, it was apparently congestive heart failure that finally
>took her. Her stomache had become very bloated, even after she
>stopped eating so much again. But through the months there were so
>many times when we thought she was going to die that day. One day in
>particular stand out, when I was home alone and my cat was lieing on
>the kicthen rug, on her side, struggling to breathe. I called my mom
>and was sobbing, "She's dieing, what do I do?" That was a long time
>before she actually died, and oddly enough ,that was the only time she
>showed signs of having breathing difficulties. She spent that day
>lieing on a blanket in the kicthen, unable to walk. She'd only lift
>her head to get a drink or eat. We were stunned that she made it
>through the day, let alone several weeks afterwards.

If this is true, I really hope that you linger even longer, suffer even more
when you die. I think that would be really good.

Cheers!

mlbriggs
January 4th 08, 05:34 PM
On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 09:29:07 -0500, cybercat wrote:

> [...]
>> there to greet us the way he always used to. I feel bad about the time
>> that I actually began feeling hostile towards her, as though it were her
>> fault that she wasn't getting better. But those feelings quickly passed
>> and I never treated her badly. I did everything I could to make her
>> last months on this planet as comfortable as possible. She looked
>> terrible, but she was still my baby. I'd do anything to have her and my
>> dog back. I tear up as I sit her typing this. Has anyone ever heard of
>> a cat going through such a horrible mysterious illness, and then
>> actually going blind from the steroids? It's amazing that she was able
>> to fight as long as she did.
>
> This has got to be a troll.
>
> You waited months to get the cat the care it needed, then let it slowly
> die in
> agony, instead of having it humanely euthanized?

I,too, smelled a troll and did not reply. Pathetic, aren't they? MLB

January 5th 08, 01:25 AM
In article >,
says...

> > wrote
> >By the way, it was apparently congestive heart failure that finally
> >took her. Her stomache had become very bloated, even after she
> >stopped eating so much again. But through the months there were so
> >many times when we thought she was going to die that day. One day in
> >particular stand out, when I was home alone and my cat was lieing on
> >the kicthen rug, on her side, struggling to breathe. I called my mom
> >and was sobbing, "She's dieing, what do I do?" That was a long time
> >before she actually died, and oddly enough ,that was the only time she
> >showed signs of having breathing difficulties. She spent that day
> >lieing on a blanket in the kicthen, unable to walk. She'd only lift
> >her head to get a drink or eat. We were stunned that she made it
> >through the day, let alone several weeks afterwards.
>
> If this is true, I really hope that you linger even longer, suffer even more
> when you die. I think that would be really good.
>
> Cheers!

Yeah, I've only had one cat die on me but from the time she started
exhibiting outward signs to the time of death was less than a month.
When other cats started showing the same signs I knew it was time and
had them euthanized.

January 5th 08, 04:32 AM
On Jan 4, 8:25*pm, T > wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
>

> > > wrote
> > *>By the way, it was apparently congestive heart failure that finally
> > >took her. *Her stomache had become very bloated, even after she
> > >stopped eating so much again. *But through the months there were so
> > >many times when we thought she was going to die that day. *One day in
> > >particular stand out, when I was home alone and my cat was lieing on
> > >the kicthen rug, on her side, struggling to breathe. *I called my mom
> > >and was sobbing, "She's dieing, what do I do?" *That was a long time
> > >before she actually died, and oddly enough ,that was the only time she
> > >showed signs of having breathing difficulties. *She spent that day
> > >lieing on a blanket in the kicthen, unable to walk. *She'd only lift
> > >her head to get a drink or eat. *We were stunned that she made it
> > >through the day, let alone several weeks afterwards.
>
> > If this is true, I really hope that you linger even longer, suffer even more
> > when you die. I think that would be really good.
>
> > Cheers!

You guys have got a lot of nerve talking to me like that. FIRST of
all, it wasn't up to me, it was up to my parents. You think I take
pleasure out of animals suffering?? We all watched her extremely
close, and at the first sign of pain, we would not have *HESITATED* to
have her euthanized. My parents made the judgement that she while
extremely weak, she was not in pain, based on everything the vet told
us and watching her everyday. My God, when my dog showed us that he
was in pain that medication could no longer fix, we took his ass right
IN, no questions. We weren't going to watch him sit around in agony,
and we never would have allowed Mouse to either. I'm still struggling
with this EVERY SINGLE DAY, I try to talk about it on here, and all I
get are people calling me a troll and accusing me of torturing an
animal?? We all loved that cat to death, and my parents did what they
thought was right for her, letting her drift off at home, so long as
she wasn't in pain. I hope to GOD that she wasn't in pain. I
wouldn't be able to live with myself if I knew we made the wrong
descision. Don't you dare try and tell me that I didn't love her, and
that we weren't AGONIZING over what would be best for her, and over
her comfort every single day. For months, there was a chance that she
would recover, according to the vet. She would get a lot better, and
our hopes would soar, and then she'd get bad again, and then she'd get
better again. We tried to help her heal in other ways, not just the
medicine, playing the music that she always loved to listen to,
letting her lie outside, which she loved, etc. As for waiting so long
to get her to a vet in the first place, I always told my parents that
they should bring her in, but they stalled because going there
*TERRIFIED* her. She would yowl, rip most of her claws off trying to
get out of her carrier, it was hard for us to watch her go through
that. But like I said, I WANTED to bring her in, my parents waited to
see if she would get better. You guys have helped matters a lot with
your hateful comments. I feel a lot better about the whole damn thing
now. Thanks.

mariib via CatKB.com
January 5th 08, 06:17 AM
wrote:
>> In article >,
>> says...
>[quoted text clipped - 17 lines]
>>
>> > Cheers!
>
> You guys have got a lot of nerve talking to me like that. FIRST of
>all, it wasn't up to me, it was up to my parents. You think I take
>pleasure out of animals suffering?? We all watched her extremely
>close, and at the first sign of pain, we would not have *HESITATED* to
>have her euthanized. My parents made the judgement that she while
>extremely weak, she was not in pain, based on everything the vet told
>us and watching her everyday. My God, when my dog showed us that he
>was in pain that medication could no longer fix, we took his ass right
>IN, no questions. We weren't going to watch him sit around in agony,
>and we never would have allowed Mouse to either. I'm still struggling
>with this EVERY SINGLE DAY, I try to talk about it on here, and all I
>get are people calling me a troll and accusing me of torturing an
>animal?? We all loved that cat to death, and my parents did what they
>thought was right for her, letting her drift off at home, so long as
>she wasn't in pain. I hope to GOD that she wasn't in pain. I
>wouldn't be able to live with myself if I knew we made the wrong
>descision. Don't you dare try and tell me that I didn't love her, and
>that we weren't AGONIZING over what would be best for her, and over
>her comfort every single day. For months, there was a chance that she
>would recover, according to the vet. She would get a lot better, and
>our hopes would soar, and then she'd get bad again, and then she'd get
>better again. We tried to help her heal in other ways, not just the
>medicine, playing the music that she always loved to listen to,
>letting her lie outside, which she loved, etc. As for waiting so long
>to get her to a vet in the first place, I always told my parents that
>they should bring her in, but they stalled because going there
>*TERRIFIED* her. She would yowl, rip most of her claws off trying to
>get out of her carrier, it was hard for us to watch her go through
>that. But like I said, I WANTED to bring her in, my parents waited to
>see if she would get better. You guys have helped matters a lot with
>your hateful comments. I feel a lot better about the whole damn thing
>now. Thanks.

You're not a troll, but you're not a kid either & we all have a duty to do
what's right & humane for our pets when their health & quality of life fails
& they can no longer be helped. According to some of your older posts (to
different groups), you've got to be about 20 now & that's old enough to have
taken control & responsibility for your beloved Mouse. You came here last
April looking for help about this cat & most everyone suggested getting her
to a second vet for another opinion & perhaps different treatment. Then last
August you came back again saying "Can't stand to see her like this anymore.
We're praying for a miracle" & everyone was sympathetic, but said it sounded
like it was time to let her go - have her put to sleep in peace. Yes, it's
very difficult but most all pet owners have to face this sooner or later &
it's especially hard to judge because cats usually don't show pain, but it's
better to be pro-active than to let our pets suffer unnecessarily. Your cat
managed to endure another 2 months before dying, but if you re-read what you
wrote yesterday morning, she was in obviously terrible shape & that's what
people here are responding to. Please learn from this for any future pets,
whether your's or your parent's.
M.

Sheelagh>\o\
January 6th 08, 07:42 PM

On Aug 19 2007, 5:02 am, wrote:
> [...]
> thirst. She was severely anemic and killing her blood cells. She was
> put on steroids but they completely surpress her immune system, making
> her extremely vulnerable to infections. She got a couple of urinary
> track infections where we had her peeing and dribbling blood on the
> floor. She's infected eyes for awhile now. The vet gave us some eye
> drops to see if it cleared it up, but it's not doing anything. We
> think that one of her eyes has now been destroyed, and if a miracle
> ever does happen, it will have to be removed. You wouldn't believe how
> she looks. Her right eye is disgusting. It's just a solid brown mass
> of goo that constantly drips down her face. She's somewhat emaciated
> and she has dried medicine and food stuck on her face (it's impossible
> to keep her clean) and on parts of her body. Basically, she looks like
> a corpse that someone pulled out of a dumpster. At one point I
> actually looked at her and burst into tears. However, her appetite is
> great (but she's still emaciated, which makes me think cancer...) and
> despite not being able to see worth a darn, she's getting around quite
> well. She hasn't begun staggering again, so that's good. We took her
> off the steroids a while ago because it's so terrible on the body and
> causes infection after infection. We THOUGHT she was recovering but
> the other morning I put her in her box (she sometimes has to be
> carried because she can't see well) and she passed out and litter was
> plastered all over the side of her face, mixed with the goo from her
> eye. I was horrified that she had begun fainting again, a sign that
> her blood count is plummeting again. I was home alone for awhile later
> that day and she kept passing out. At one point she was lieing on the
> kitchen rub, making sounds like she was actually struggling to
> breathe. I lost it and called my mom on her cell and started crying,
> saying she was dieing on me. I layed out a blanket for her and put on
> her favorite music (that cat has a thing for Josh Groban, Il Divo, and
> the like). Since then (the other day) she's stopped fainting and her
> breathing (thank God) seems perfectly normal. But at this point the
> vet says it's the end of the road, her chance of making a recovery are
> slim to none. The last thing we want is to see her suffer (and trust
> me, it's heart-breaking to see how disgusting she looks right now),
> but since her appetite is good and she's stopped fainting, we're just
> waiting right now. We know the time has probably come to euthanize
> her, but it's just too damn hard. These next couple of days, we're
> just praying for a miracle, biding time. She's been a beloved member
> of the family since I was 9 years old (I'm now 20). If there was
> something that could be done at this point, money would be no object,
> but it looks like it's the end of the road. The vet doesn't see any
> hope. It's just been so cruel. One minute you think she's getting

This is the reason why everyone is a little bit ticked off.
It is most unlike me not to listen sympathetically, because it is in
my nature to believe anything that people tell me, unless proved
otherwise.

I extended my sympathies then, & also now, but it would appear that
either you, or your parents were not listening @ the time. Your cat
did go through hell for a further few months. I would also like to
point out that Marrii did try to tell you in a very polite manner,
exactly what & why others think you are a troll.
You have no idea how many trolls we do get, professing that their cat
is near death, then suddenly the owner finds a reason to not to need
the advice we give, yet they come back a few months later to tell us
the same thing; what would you assume?

I have no doubt that you did love your cat. Unfortunately, you didn't
love her enough to give her the greatest gift your can give a much
loved cat- The freedom to cross the Rainbow Bridge when she needed
to.. by withholding that gift, your cat suffered without doubt. That
is where the anger is coming from. The difference between a cat owner
& a cat slave, is that you would do anything to stop her suffering. I
wish you no ill, but I do hope that you learn from this mistake. Rest
assured, we all make mistakes & the only thing that is important here
is exactly the same as Marri said- That you learn from it....

Good Luck,
Sheelagh >"o"<

January 8th 08, 11:05 PM
On Jan 6, 2:42*pm, "Sheelagh>\"o\"<" > wrote:
> [...]
> You have no idea how many trolls we do get, professing that their cat
> is near death, then suddenly the owner finds a reason to not to need
> the advice we give, yet they come back a few months later to tell us
> the same thing; what would you assume?
>
> I have no doubt that you did love your cat. Unfortunately, you didn't
> love her enough to give her the greatest gift your can give a much
> loved cat- The freedom to cross the Rainbow Bridge when she needed
> to.. by withholding that gift, your cat suffered without doubt. That
> is where the anger is coming from. The difference between a cat owner
> & *a cat slave, is that you would do anything to stop her suffering. I
> wish you no ill, but I do hope that you learn from this mistake. Rest
> assured, we all make mistakes & the only thing that is important here
> is exactly the same as Marri said- That you learn from it....

Well, my parents remain firm that we did the right thing, so I'm
trusting them. They are very pro-euthanasia (even with people), and
if they had gotten the slightest indication that that cat was in any
kind of pain, they would have taken her in, no questions asked. They
brought BOTH of our former dogs to be euthanized without hesitation
when they needed it. At one point, when I was so mad I wasn't
thinking clearly at all, I got upset with my dad for bringing my dog
in. He got pretty upset with me. His response? "That dog was in
AGONY, and he was too good a friend to let him suffer like that. If
you thought I was going to sit back and let him live like that, then
you're CRAZY." My mom? "We had to help him, it was our
responsibility. He's not suffering any more." They're smart people,
and they're good people, and I'm going to have to believe that they
made the right descision with Mouse. Obviously you would have had to
have been here and lived with her to understand the situation. It
just looks terrible on "paper". I'm sorry I ever brought this matter
up, it's only further upset me. But thanks to those who at least
responded in a civil manner.

cybercat
January 9th 08, 12:44 AM
> wrote
> Well, my parents remain firm that we did the right thing, so I'm
> trusting them. They are very pro-euthanasia (even with people), and
>if they had gotten the slightest indication that that cat was in any
>kind of pain, they would have taken her in, no questions asked.

None of you should ever be allowed to have any kind of animal.

Cats do not show pain until they are at death's door, you cruel
idiot.

AZ Nomad
January 9th 08, 01:14 AM
On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 19:44:47 -0500, cybercat > wrote:

> wrote
>> Well, my parents remain firm that we did the right thing, so I'm
>> trusting them. They are very pro-euthanasia (even with people), and
>>if they had gotten the slightest indication that that cat was in any
>>kind of pain, they would have taken her in, no questions asked.

>None of you should ever be allowed to have any kind of animal.

>Cats do not show pain until they are at death's door, you cruel
>idiot.

Then, you idiot, if the cat was in pain from a terminal disease, it
would be at death's door. Why prolong it? Do you get some sadistic
kick out of seeing animals in needless pain?

cybercat
January 9th 08, 01:23 AM
"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 19:44:47 -0500, cybercat > wrote:
>
> wrote
>>> Well, my parents remain firm that we did the right thing, so I'm
>>> trusting them. They are very pro-euthanasia (even with people), and
>>>if they had gotten the slightest indication that that cat was in any
>>>kind of pain, they would have taken her in, no questions asked.
>
>>None of you should ever be allowed to have any kind of animal.
>
>>Cats do not show pain until they are at death's door, you cruel
>>idiot.
>
> Then, you idiot, if the cat was in pain from a terminal disease, it
> would be at death's door. Why prolong it? Do you get some sadistic
> kick out of seeing animals in needless pain?

Um, AN, you're preaching to the choir. I am saying that this twit and her
parents essentially tortured her cat by allowing it to suffer for months.
They never had it put down, they just watched it suffer and die.

AZ Nomad
January 9th 08, 01:42 AM
On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 20:23:44 -0500, cybercat > wrote:

>"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 19:44:47 -0500, cybercat > wrote:
>>
> wrote
>>
>>>None of you should ever be allowed to have any kind of animal.
>>
>>>Cats do not show pain until they are at death's door, you cruel
>>>idiot.
>>
>> Then, you idiot, if the cat was in pain from a terminal disease, it
>> would be at death's door. Why prolong it? Do you get some sadistic
>> kick out of seeing animals in needless pain?

>Um, AN, you're preaching to the choir. I am saying that this twit and her
>parents essentially tortured her cat by allowing it to suffer for months.
>They never had it put down, they just watched it suffer and die.

SORRY! I totally misread it. I thought you were chiding her for leaving
the kitty with parents who are pro-euthenasia.

cybercat
January 9th 08, 01:45 AM
"AZ Nomad" > wrote

> SORRY! I totally misread it. I thought you were chiding her for leaving
> the kitty with parents who are pro-euthenasia.

This kid doesn't know her ass from third base if she could not see that
the cat was suffering. It just makes my heart ache. At least nobody can
hurt the cat now.

Sheelagh>\o\
January 9th 08, 05:29 PM
On Jan 8, 11:05*pm, wrote:
> [...]
> when they needed it. *At one point, when I was so mad I wasn't
> thinking clearly at all, I got upset with my dad for bringing my dog
> in. *He got pretty upset with me. *His response? *"That dog was in
> AGONY, and he was too good a friend to let him suffer like that. *If
> you thought I was going to sit back and let him live like that, then
> you're CRAZY." *My mom? *"We had to help him, it was our
> responsibility. *He's not suffering any more." *They're smart people,
> and they're good people, and I'm going to have to believe that they
> made the right descision with Mouse. *Obviously you would have had to
> have been here and lived with her to understand the situation. *It
> just looks terrible on "paper". *I'm sorry I ever brought this matter
> up, it's only further upset me. *But thanks to those who at least
> responded in a civil manner.- Hide quoted text -

I wasn't trying to be rude to you. In actual fact, I was hoping that
you would see that we all make mistakes, ( & yes, that does include me
too!)

I gave what I thought was Good advice for future reference. I am
genuinely sorry for your loss. I don't think there is a single member
on this site who wouldn't admit that we perhaps let a cat go longer
than we should have done. It is human nature to want to spend longer
with our beloved cat's. However, it is not necessarily the best thing
for the cat involved, & there is the difference of being a cat-slave,
or a cat carer. You learn to do things differently, even if it means
that terrible lost feeling.

I certainly wasn't calling Judgment on you- I was explaining why you
got the response that you did get.
Sheelagh >"o"<

Dakota
January 9th 08, 08:10 PM
On Jan 4, 1:34*am, wrote:
> On Jan 4, 1:29*am, wrote:
>
> > *... my cat Mouse <big snip>

Sounds like you really loved her. My cat came down with a really
nasty strain of corona called "FIPS," although he had received his
annual shot a few months earlier. That sounds similar to things I've
read about some variants, although I've read those symptoms are common
in everything from leukemia to heartworms.

When my first dog died, I let her live too long, because I just didn't
feel like it was moral to let her go when she seemed so happy and
loving, even with her obvious age and condition. The vet seemed angry
that I hadn't brought her in sooner. When my first cat died, as soon
as I realized her body systems were failing and she was dying (she
also was very old), I took her to the vet the next morning and the vet
put her down. But the vet seemed angry and blamed me--if I'd done
this, if I'd done that.

I've found that, no matter what I do, some people will say I should
have done something else and seem mean-spirited. People can hold some
pretty rigid opinions. So now I first learn as much as I can, and
then I just listen to my own conscience and do what I think is right.

I have a lot of compassion for you and Mouse and your parents. The
humans are trying to do the right thing for a being they love, and
cats have such tender spirits that we just want to hold them and heal
them and keep them as friends.

It's tough to lose friends who always remind us that we are special
and also that the world is really a very lovely place.

David McCracken
January 11th 08, 05:43 AM
> wrote in message

<SNIP>
> They
> had trouble with that sample too, and called us back a while later
> after we went home to tell us that Mouse was so anemic that they
> couldn't get a proper blood sample from her, her blood was too thin.

> hard. She apparently began losing her mind, because everytime we'd
> set her in the box, she'd start eating the litter and we;d have to
> reach down and block her from doing it.

</SNIP>

Moonlit:

I'm very sorry for your loss. My own cat is going through a similar
scenario. She suddenly showed signs of anemia over the holidays and has
been through a blood transfusion and has started chemotherapy plus Epogen
injections.

The reason why your cat was eating the cat litter was because her body
craved anything containing iron, which helps produce red blood cells. Rest
assured that it wasn't because she was crazy. Animals (and humans) will
often crave things that their body needs. If you read about anemia in cats,
you'll find plenty of documented cases in which cats eat litter.

I know it will be a tough day when I have to euthanize my cat, which I know
will be soon. Even with chemotherapy, cats with lymphoma (which my cat was
ultimately diagnosed with) only stay in remission for about six months
before succumbing to cancer. I hope that I will be able to recognize when
that time comes; as many people have pointed out, cats tend to instinctively
mask their pain. I've spoken with my vet about whether he feels I'm
potentially dragging things out for my cat, and he assures me that for right
now, she's doing her normal routine and it's far too early to be talking
euthanasia. But, as I said, I know it's coming for my 11-year-old kitty.

Best of luck to you in your time of sorrow. I offer my most sincere
condolences.

-David