PDA

View Full Version : Shipping cat from Australia to the USA.

jmc
January 6th 08, 12:27 PM
We're heading back home soon!

I've done this before, but rules change. Has anybody moved with their
pet from Oz to the US in the last couple of years? Last time Meep
traveled with us the whole way as excess baggage, but I keep hearing
unsubstantiated rumors that this is no longer allowed, that the pet
*must* travel cargo, which would be an extreme hardship for us, and for her.

Any advice or information would be appreciated!

jmc

Baldoni[_7_]
January 8th 08, 01:25 AM
on 06/01/2008, jmc supposed :
> We're heading back home soon!
>
> I've done this before, but rules change. Has anybody moved with their pet
> from Oz to the US in the last couple of years? Last time Meep traveled with
> us the whole way as excess baggage, but I keep hearing unsubstantiated rumors
> that this is no longer allowed, that the pet *must* travel cargo, which would
> be an extreme hardship for us, and for her.
>
> Any advice or information would be appreciated!
>
> jmc

Back in 1990 my uncle and his family moved to USA. They took 2 dogs a
cat and a parrot. I think the animals went cargo and I know the parrot
spent 6 months in quarentine. My aunt told the guys in the quarentine
that the parrots name was her own name. So when he came out of
quarentine he kept saying my aunts name.

Going slightly off track I know a guy that rescued a monkey off these
cruel idiots in Malaya and adopted him. They flew the monkey home via
Germany and it got home before the guy.

--
Count Baldoni

jmc
January 8th 08, 09:35 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Baldoni exclaimed (1/8/2008 9:55 AM):
> on 06/01/2008, jmc supposed :
>> We're heading back home soon!
>>
>> I've done this before, but rules change. Has anybody moved with their
>> pet from Oz to the US in the last couple of years? Last time Meep
>> traveled with us the whole way as excess baggage, but I keep hearing
>> unsubstantiated rumors that this is no longer allowed, that the pet
>> *must* travel cargo, which would be an extreme hardship for us, and
>> for her.
>>
>> Any advice or information would be appreciated!
>>
>> jmc
>
> Back in 1990 my uncle and his family moved to USA. They took 2 dogs a
> cat and a parrot. I think the animals went cargo and I know the parrot
> spent 6 months in quarentine. My aunt told the guys in the quarentine
> that the parrots name was her own name. So when he came out of
> quarentine he kept saying my aunts name.
>
> Going slightly off track I know a guy that rescued a monkey off these
> cruel idiots in Malaya and adopted him. They flew the monkey home via
> Germany and it got home before the guy.

Thanks but 1990 is a long time ago. We last did this around 2001.

jmc

jmc
January 8th 08, 09:38 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Matthew exclaimed (1/7/2008 1:53 AM):
> "jmc" > wrote in message
>> We're heading back home soon!
>>
>> I've done this before, but rules change. Has anybody moved with their pet
>> from Oz to the US in the last couple of years? Last time Meep traveled
>> with us the whole way as excess baggage, but I keep hearing
>> unsubstantiated rumors that this is no longer allowed, that the pet *must*
>> travel cargo, which would be an extreme hardship for us, and for her.
>>
>> Any advice or information would be appreciated!
>>
>> jmc
>
> http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/toolbox/publications/travel/pets.ctt/pets.pdf
>
> You will need a passport now now matter what to get in. Are you still a US
> citizen
> http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/xp/cgov/newsroom/news_releases/archives/2007_news_releases/122007/12032007_4.xml

Of course I'm still a US citizen. ONly been here a couple of years.
Thanks for the link, but it just confirmed what I already knew: no
Customs requirements for cat importation, besides health.

I was hoping someone had travelled recently enough that they could tell
me whether or not the pet was *required* to travel cargo rather than
accompanied baggage.

jmc

Baldoni[_7_]
January 8th 08, 05:38 PM
jmc wrote on 08/01/2008 :
> Suddenly, without warning, Baldoni exclaimed (1/8/2008 9:55 AM):
>> on 06/01/2008, jmc supposed :
>>> We're heading back home soon!
>>>
>>> I've done this before, but rules change. Has anybody moved with their pet
>>> from Oz to the US in the last couple of years? Last time Meep traveled
>>> with us the whole way as excess baggage, but I keep hearing
>>> unsubstantiated rumors that this is no longer allowed, that the pet *must*
>>> travel cargo, which would be an extreme hardship for us, and for her.
>>>
>>> Any advice or information would be appreciated!
>>>
>>> jmc
>>
>> Back in 1990 my uncle and his family moved to USA. They took 2 dogs a cat
>> and a parrot. I think the animals went cargo and I know the parrot spent 6
>> months in quarentine. My aunt told the guys in the quarentine that the
>> parrots name was her own name. So when he came out of quarentine he kept
>> saying my aunts name.
>>
>> Going slightly off track I know a guy that rescued a monkey off these cruel
>> idiots in Malaya and adopted him. They flew the monkey home via Germany
>> and it got home before the guy.
>>

> Thanks but 1990 is a long time ago. We last did this around 2001.
>
> jmc

I would imagine that everything other than small hand luggage must go
as cargo. I recall that a long time ago these guys were smuggling
poodles between Holland and Belgium. Where it got out of hand is that
they were also smuggling diamonds which were stored up the dogs rectum.
The dog people knew nothing of the diamonds for a while and then they
found out.

--
Count Baldoni