PDA

View Full Version : Is a Silver Tabby an ordinary short hair cat ?

Baldoni[_7_]
January 7th 08, 01:06 PM
Or is it a specific breed of cat in its own right ?

--
Count Baldoni

Cat Protector
January 7th 08, 02:57 PM
Actually tabby would be the coat pattern.

"Baldoni" > wrote in message
> Or is it a specific breed of cat in its own right ?
>
> --
> Count Baldoni

Christina Websell
January 7th 08, 04:03 PM
Would you agree that there are quite a a lot of variations in the tabby coat
pattern?
Boyfie is a mackerel tabby/white. My brother's cat Tigger is a perfect
example of a marbled tabby.

"Cat Protector" > wrote in message
> Actually tabby would be the coat pattern.
>

> "Baldoni" > wrote in message
>> Or is it a specific breed of cat in its own right ?
>>
>> --
>> Count Baldoni

Cat Protector
January 7th 08, 04:30 PM
"Christina Websell" > wrote in message

> Would you agree that there are quite a a lot of variations in the tabby
> coat pattern?
> Boyfie is a mackerel tabby/white. My brother's cat Tigger is a perfect
> example of a marbled tabby.

There are some. My cat Icarus has a classic tabby pattern which is very rare
for a Japanese Bobtail. Jade was a more diluted tiger striped tabby.

Jack Campin - bogus address
January 7th 08, 04:40 PM
> Or is it a specific breed of cat in its own right ?

Speaking for the way we see it in the UK...

They're a type of British Shorthair. My Muriel is one. They
are very popular in advertising but not very common and fairly
expensive (more than Persians or oriental breeds, not as high
as Bengals, Norwegian Forests or Maine Coons).

Muriel sheds an awesome amount of white fluff. Her fur is denser,
smoother, and slightly longer than most shorthair breeds. Feels
like it's coated with teflon.

The word is sometimes applied to tabbies whose orange bits are
rather faded-out. Muriel has no red at all, she's like a black-
and-white photo of a tabby with aqua eyes, a pink nose and a pink
arsehole added.

I don't know how general this is, but Muriel has been a phenomenally
healthy and youthful cat. Whatever selection they do to maintain the
breed hasn't done her any harm. Apparently they interbreed them
with black moggies every few generations to stop the grey bits from
fading to white, so they may be less inbred than some pedigrees.

Muriel came from the cat and dog home. We've no idea how she got
there.

I can't imagine why the alt.sports.spurs group was in the Newsgroups:
line, do they use one as a mascot?

<http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/> for CD-ROMs and free | fax 0870 0554 975

Baldoni[_7_]
January 7th 08, 05:36 PM
It happens that Christina Websell formulated :
> Would you agree that there are quite a a lot of variations in the tabby coat
> pattern?
> Boyfie is a mackerel tabby/white. My brother's cat Tigger is a perfect
> example of a marbled tabby.
>
> "Cat Protector" > wrote in message
>> Actually tabby would be the coat pattern.
>>

>> "Baldoni" > wrote in message
>>> Or is it a specific breed of cat in its own right ?
>>>
>>> -- Count Baldoni

There are not many silver tabbies about though are there when compared
with other shorthairs ?

--
Count Baldoni

Christina Websell
January 7th 08, 06:03 PM
"Baldoni" > wrote in message
> It happens that Christina Websell formulated :
>> Would you agree that there are quite a a lot of variations in the tabby
>> coat pattern?
>> Boyfie is a mackerel tabby/white. My brother's cat Tigger is a perfect
>> example of a marbled tabby.
>>
>> "Cat Protector" > wrote in message
>>> Actually tabby would be the coat pattern.

> There are not many silver tabbies about though are there when compared
> with other shorthairs

No, but they are not uncommon. It does not make them more valuable than my
little black/white tuxedo girl, Kitty Farmcat.

Tweed

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
January 7th 08, 10:41 PM
Baldoni wrote:

> Or is it a specific breed of cat in its own right ?

It's not a special breed, but a description of a specially
marked coat. (On the other hand, NO cat is "ordinary"!)

Baldoni[_7_]
January 7th 08, 10:44 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) expressed precisely :

> Baldoni wrote:
>
>> Or is it a specific breed of cat in its own right ?
>
> It's not a special breed, but a description of a specially marked coat. (On
> the other hand, NO cat is "ordinary"!)

Agreed.

--
Count Baldoni

ollie2
January 8th 08, 06:37 PM
"Baldoni" > wrote in message
> EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) expressed precisely :
>>
>> Baldoni wrote:
>>
>>> Or is it a specific breed of cat in its own right ?
>>
>> It's not a special breed, but a description of a specially marked coat.
>> (On the other hand, NO cat is "ordinary"!)
>>>

> Agreed.
>
> --
> Count Baldoni

At Xmas we booked Bonnie and Clyde and Fluff into a cattery for four days.
The cattery owner was breeding pedigree silver tabbies. She had a several
kittens available. They were absolutely gorgeous and I would have loved to
have taken one home with me. Their faces were so pretty, they were neat
little faces that made it easy to fall in love with them.

A few months ago we went to the New Zealand National cat show which was held
in our area. There were heaps of silver tabbies, all beautiful.

Bev

Baldoni[_7_]
January 8th 08, 06:56 PM
ollie2 was thinking very hard :
> "Baldoni" > wrote in message
>> EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) expressed precisely :

>>> It's not a special breed, but a description of a specially marked coat.
>>> (On the other hand, NO cat is "ordinary"!)
>>>>

>> Agreed.
>>
>> -- Count Baldoni
>>
> At Xmas we booked Bonnie and Clyde and Fluff into a cattery for four days.
> The cattery owner was breeding pedigree silver tabbies. She had a several
> kittens available. They were absolutely gorgeous and I would have loved to
> have taken one home with me. Their faces were so pretty, they were neat
> little faces that made it easy to fall in love with them.
>
> A few months ago we went to the New Zealand National cat show which was held
> in our area. There were heaps of silver tabbies, all beautiful.
>
> Bev

Yes they have amazing markings which the black and silver emphasize
greatly. Max also is a very good natured cat. He wants to clime on
computers and playstation and sleep their. Also the box for the
sattelite.

--
Count Baldoni

Bert Bertolli
January 9th 08, 10:54 AM
"ollie2" > wrote in message

> "Baldoni" > wrote in message
> > EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) expressed precisely :

> >> It's not a special breed, but a description of a specially marked coat.
> >> (On the other hand, NO cat is "ordinary"!)
> >>>

> > Agreed.
> >
> > --
> > Count Baldoni
> >
> At Xmas we booked Bonnie and Clyde and Fluff into a cattery for four days.
> The cattery owner was breeding pedigree silver tabbies. She had a
several
> kittens available. They were absolutely gorgeous and I would have loved
> have taken one home with me. Their faces were so pretty, they were neat
> little faces that made it easy to fall in love with them.
>
> A few months ago we went to the New Zealand National cat show which was
held
> in our area. There were heaps of silver tabbies, all beautiful.
>
> Bev

Bonnie, Clyde and Fluff? Sounds like a convention of Radio One DJ's. LOL

You boys keeping up with all this? Silver Tabby. Nothing special!!

So, how is Ramos doing? Have you noticed many changes in the style of your
play at all? Have I gone off topic??

yngver
January 9th 08, 08:38 PM
On Jan 7, 4:41 pm, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
> wrote:
> Baldoni wrote:
> > Or is it a specific breed of cat in its own right ?
>
> It's not a special breed, but a description of a specially
> marked coat. (On the other hand, NO cat is "ordinary"!)

We had a couple of silver tabbies as barn cats when I was a kid
growing up on a farm. You're right, silver tabby is a color, whether
the cat is a particular breed or a mixed breed "moggy." Some breeders
might specialize in a particular color, like silver tabby. I've seen a
lot of silver tabby American Shorthairs at cat shows.
-yngver