PDA

View Full Version : Cat Carrier Size?

January 12th 08, 08:28 PM
OK, never having a cat before I didn't know what to get. The medium
sized ones seemed to large at 24 X 16.6", so I got the small whose
measurement seemed larger than it actually was. My cat is large at
15-16 lbs. and he didn't much like me seeing if he would fit in there.
Seemed it was too small, but I didn't get a chance to see if I could
get his tail in, as he hightailed it out of there. The sides aren't
that easy to get closed with the cat in there either. It's the Petmate
small taxi.

Ok, so I finally get all the clasps closed on the sides, and figure I
will just drop him him from the top. He didn't much like that idea
either, putting him paws firmly on the top to stop from going in head
first. Tail first I had the same problem with his back legs. I think
the soft sided ones are easier but they seemed to small too. What size
should a cat this size have? He just needs to go about 2 bocks or so
when I have to take him to the vet.

When you all stop laughing can someone please help me out here...;-).

January 12th 08, 08:40 PM
I should mention that the small Petmate carrier is 19" X 12.5" X 10"
for my 15-16 lb cat. Too small?

Claude V. Lucas
January 12th 08, 09:38 PM
In article >,
Matthew > wrote:
>I got the large so it has a bigger mouth end to push the cat in if necessary
>also for me in a emergency I could shove 3 cats inside if it was an
>emergency
>They may not be happy but they would be safe

Make sure you post some video of 3 cats crammed into one small carrier.

:^)

I can get all 25 Lbs of Bubba into a small one, but neither
he nor I enjoys the process. I should have got a bigger one.

bobblespin[_2_]
January 12th 08, 09:45 PM
" > wrote in news:1f3f13c5-2285-437d-
:

> OK, never having a cat before I didn't know what to get. The medium
> sized ones seemed to large at 24 X 16.6", so I got the small whose
> measurement seemed larger than it actually was. My cat is large at
> 15-16 lbs. and he didn't much like me seeing if he would fit in there.
> Seemed it was too small, but I didn't get a chance to see if I could
> get his tail in, as he hightailed it out of there. The sides aren't
> that easy to get closed with the cat in there either. It's the Petmate
> small taxi.
>
> Ok, so I finally get all the clasps closed on the sides, and figure I
> will just drop him him from the top. He didn't much like that idea
> either, putting him paws firmly on the top to stop from going in head
> first. Tail first I had the same problem with his back legs. I think
> the soft sided ones are easier but they seemed to small too. What size
> should a cat this size have? He just needs to go about 2 bocks or so
> when I have to take him to the vet.
>
> When you all stop laughing can someone please help me out here...;-).

Thanks for the laugh. It sounds too small for a 16 pound cat. It should be
big enough so he can turn around easily, lie down and stand up. Return
yours, and get a bigger one which comes apart easily because our cat won't
come out of the carrier for the vet, so we have to remove the top.

Bobble

January 12th 08, 09:51 PM
On Jan 12, 4:38 pm, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
> In article >,
>
> Matthew > wrote:
> >I got the large so it has a bigger mouth end to push the cat in if necessary
> >also for me in a emergency I could shove 3 cats inside if it was an
> >emergency
> >They may not be happy but they would be safe
>
> Make sure you post some video of 3 cats crammed into one small carrier.
>
> :^)
>
> I can get all 25 Lbs of Bubba into a small one, but neither
> he nor I enjoys the process. I should have got a bigger one.

Claude, was yours the size of mine? What exactly is the process? Do
you still have all your fingers, and was a shoehorn involved?

Claude V. Lucas
January 12th 08, 10:19 PM
In article >,
> wrote:
>On Jan 12, 4:38 pm, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
>> In article >,
>>
>> Matthew > wrote:
>> >I got the large so it has a bigger mouth end to push the cat in if necessary
>> >also for me in a emergency I could shove 3 cats inside if it was an
>> >emergency
>> >They may not be happy but they would be safe
>>
>> Make sure you post some video of 3 cats crammed into one small carrier.
>>
>> :^)
>>
>> I can get all 25 Lbs of Bubba into a small one, but neither
>> he nor I enjoys the process. I should have got a bigger one.
>
>Claude, was yours the size of mine? What exactly is the process? Do
>you still have all your fingers, and was a shoehorn involved?

Bubba's carrier is 24x12x12, which is pretty small considering
how big *he* is.

Fortunately, he's always been more into the dramatics of a
situation than actually fighting me when we need to do
something that he doesn't want to do. On the rare occasions
we actually need for him to go anywhere I just stick his
head in the door and push him in... I ignore the howling
and the hissing, because that will continue as long as he's
in there. Usually he'll wiggle away at least once so it
can be an ordeal.

Fortunately he doesn't seem to hold a grudge. He hasn't
filled up my shoes or anything like that afterward. :^)

I probably should get a larger carrier, but it only gets
used a couple times a year so I haven't done so as yet.

Claude V. Lucas
January 12th 08, 10:20 PM
In article >,
Claude V. Lucas > wrote:
>In article >,
> wrote:
>>On Jan 12, 4:38 pm, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:

>>> Make sure you post some video of 3 cats crammed into one small carrier.
>>>
>>> :^)
>>>
>>> I can get all 25 Lbs of Bubba into a small one, but neither
>>> he nor I enjoys the process. I should have got a bigger one.
>>
>>Claude, was yours the size of mine? What exactly is the process? Do
>>you still have all your fingers, and was a shoehorn involved?
>
>Bubba's carrier is 24x12x12, which is pretty small considering
>how big *he* is.
>
>Fortunately, he's always been more into the dramatics of a
>situation than actually fighting me when we need to do
>something that he doesn't want to do. On the rare occasions
>we actually need for him to go anywhere I just stick his
>head in the door and push him in... I ignore the howling
>and the hissing, because that will continue as long as he's
>in there. Usually he'll wiggle away at least once so it
>can be an ordeal.
>
>Fortunately he doesn't seem to hold a grudge. He hasn't
>filled up my shoes or anything like that afterward. :^)
>
>I probably should get a larger carrier, but it only gets
>used a couple times a year so I haven't done so as yet.

Forgot to mention that he *can* turn around in this one...

blkcatgal
January 13th 08, 12:40 AM
One way to get a cat into the carrier is to stand the carrier up so that the
opening faces up. Then drop the cat into the carrier and close the door.

It's never easy getting a cat into a carrier. I know, I have scars to prove
it. :-)

S.
---

> wrote in message
> On Jan 12, 4:38 pm, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
>> In article >,
>>
>> Matthew > wrote:
>> >I got the large so it has a bigger mouth end to push the cat in if
>> >necessary
>> >also for me in a emergency I could shove 3 cats inside if it was an
>> >emergency
>> >They may not be happy but they would be safe
>>
>> Make sure you post some video of 3 cats crammed into one small carrier.
>>
>> :^)
>>
>> I can get all 25 Lbs of Bubba into a small one, but neither
>> he nor I enjoys the process. I should have got a bigger one.
>
> Claude, was yours the size of mine? What exactly is the process? Do
> you still have all your fingers, and was a shoehorn involved?

mlbriggs
January 13th 08, 01:29 AM
On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 12:28:00 -0800, wrote:

> OK, never having a cat before I didn't know what to get. The medium sized
> ones seemed to large at 24 X 16.6", so I got the small whose measurement
> seemed larger than it actually was. My cat is large at 15-16 lbs. and he
> didn't much like me seeing if he would fit in there. Seemed it was too
> small, but I didn't get a chance to see if I could get his tail in, as he
> hightailed it out of there. The sides aren't that easy to get closed with
> the cat in there either. It's the Petmate small taxi.
>
> Ok, so I finally get all the clasps closed on the sides, and figure I will
> just drop him him from the top. He didn't much like that idea either,
> putting him paws firmly on the top to stop from going in head first. Tail
> first I had the same problem with his back legs. I think the soft sided
> ones are easier but they seemed to small too. What size should a cat this
> size have? He just needs to go about 2 bocks or so when I have to take him
> to the vet.
>
> When you all stop laughing can someone please help me out here...;-).

I had the small size for my Siamese. When she died and TuTu
adopted me, I gave the small size to Ted and got the medium for TuTu.
I left the small one out all the time and Princess used it for sleeping
.. TuTu totally ignores her carrier.

January 13th 08, 02:26 AM
On Jan 12, 9:12 pm, "cindys" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> >I should mention that the small Petmate carrier is 19" X 12.5" X 10"
> > for my 15-16 lb cat. Too small?
>
> -----
> I don't know what are the dimensions of my cat carrier, but it is a size
> "large." This is the one I use for my cats that weigh 11 to 14 pounds. I
> also have a "small" carrier, which I used for Molly (of blessed memory). She
> weighed 10 pounds, and it was a good size for her. I currently use the small
> one for Daisy who weighs 9 pounds. Again, the small one is a good size for
> Daisy. I don't own a "medium," so I can't say if it would have been large
> enough for my 11 to 14 pound cats or not.
> Best regards,
> --Cindy S.

Well, I tried standing it up with the opening facing up, and tried
dropping the cat in with both ends first, but no dice. He had other
ideas and braced himself on the edges and wouldn't go in. I will try
again. The other problem is that at 15-16 lbs. he's too heavy for me
to carry, and I need to be able to put the carrier on the seat of my
mom walker so it needs to be not too big. If I put some ham on the
other end he might climb in for it. Maybe if I cut off his tail...just
kidding...LOL!

January 13th 08, 02:16 PM
On Jan 12, 9:36 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
> Take a large towel wrap it around them gives you some protection drop
> furball in. It does several things one keeps them from seeing what
> coming tow gives them a place to hide while in the carrier also soaks up
> in urine that they might lose when in there
>
> Also leave the carrier out all the time let them get used too it so it is
> not a scary place. You can also feed the furball in their so he gets used
> to it
>
> > wrote in message

> >> -----
> >> I don't know what are the dimensions of my cat carrier, but it is a size
> >> "large." This is the one I use for my cats that weigh 11 to 14 pounds. I
> >> also have a "small" carrier, which I used for Molly (of blessed memory).
> >> She
> >> weighed 10 pounds, and it was a good size for her. I currently use the
> >> small
> >> one for Daisy who weighs 9 pounds. Again, the small one is a good size
> >> for
> >> Daisy. I don't own a "medium," so I can't say if it would have been
> >> large
> >> enough for my 11 to 14 pound cats or not.
> >> Best regards,
> >> --Cindy S.
>
> > Well, I tried standing it up with the opening facing up, and tried
> > dropping the cat in with both ends first, but no dice. He had other
> > ideas and braced himself on the edges and wouldn't go in. I will try
> > again. The other problem is that at 15-16 lbs. he's too heavy for me
> > to carry, and I need to be able to put the carrier on the seat of my
> > mom walker so it needs to be not too big. If I put some ham on the
> > other end he might climb in for it. Maybe if I cut off his tail...just
> > kidding...LOL!

My cat left another "present" on the bath rug again last night. He had
done it before when I looked in the bathroom to allow my mom to eat in
peace. I guess this his way of letting me know he wasn't pleased with
my efforts to get him into the carrier. I will have to close the
bathroom door now after I use it, as I will try and see if he can fit
into it again today...LOL! The little ****!!!

January 16th 08, 01:15 AM
On Jan 12, 10:13 pm, "cindys" > wrote:
> "Matthew" > wrote in message
>
> ...> Take a large towel wrap it around them gives you some protection drop
> > furball in. It does several things one keeps them from seeing what
> > coming tow gives them a place to hide while in the carrier also soaks up
> > in urine that they might lose when in there
>
> > Also leave the carrier out all the time let them get used too it so it
> > is not a scary place. You can also feed the furball in their so he gets
> > used to it
>
> -------
> Exactly my answer. What I do is bring out the carrier a few days in advance
> and leave it standing on end with the door open. Amanda doesn't pay much
> attention to it after it's been there for several days. When the time comes,
> I drop a towel over her, grab her, dump her in, and close the door. By the
> time she's extricated herself from the towel, she's secure in the carrier.
> One of my friends puts her cat in a pillowcase and puts her cat inside the
> carrier in the pillowcase. It takes longer for the cat to wiggle out of the
> pillowcase than the towel. This procedure is easier to carry out with the
> large carrier, although Amanda is small enough that she would fit in the
> small carrier (if she cooperated).
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

Ok, I tried that but with the pillowcase and it worked. Got the cat in
but it's really too small for a 15-16 lb. cat. They said 19" but it's
really only 16.5" long on the bottom pan of the carrier. Sending it
back and getting another a bit larger. Called Petmate and they said
this one was good for up to a 20 lb. pet, and the other only 10 lb.
The little stinker left me another "present" on the bath rug as a
thank you gift for trying to get him into the carrier all afternoon.
Guess he didn't appreciate all my efforts...LOL!

Baldoni[_6_]
January 19th 08, 11:33 AM
wrote on 12/01/2008 :
> OK, never having a cat before I didn't know what to get. The medium
> sized ones seemed to large at 24 X 16.6", so I got the small whose
> measurement seemed larger than it actually was. My cat is large at
> 15-16 lbs. and he didn't much like me seeing if he would fit in there.
> Seemed it was too small, but I didn't get a chance to see if I could
> get his tail in, as he hightailed it out of there. The sides aren't
> that easy to get closed with the cat in there either. It's the Petmate
> small taxi.
>
> Ok, so I finally get all the clasps closed on the sides, and figure I
> will just drop him him from the top. He didn't much like that idea
> either, putting him paws firmly on the top to stop from going in head
> first. Tail first I had the same problem with his back legs. I think
> the soft sided ones are easier but they seemed to small too. What size
> should a cat this size have? He just needs to go about 2 bocks or so
> when I have to take him to the vet.
>
> When you all stop laughing can someone please help me out here...;-).

Mine looks too big but the cat has plenty of room. If they have to
spend time in the thing then maybe the larger the better. It is
awkward to carry any distance though and tbh I think maybe I should
have bought a smaller one which would have been more manageable for me.
But am I just thinking of myself ?

--
Count Baldoni