PDA

View Full Version : Dominant female pushes male cat away from food

Phil Leslie
January 12th 08, 10:36 PM
I've asked some other cat owners & a friend who owns a pet store about
this. I have a younger (3 years old) female cat who has an overeating
problem (gaining weight). In spite of my placing 2 separate bowls across
the room from each other with food, she almost always will sneak back
over & nudge the male away & eat his food.

It's to the point that if the male gets to his food bowl, he'll look
around to see if the female is nearby so he can eat in peace. Short of
standing over them to make sure both eat peacefully, is there anything
else I can do? Maybe place the bowls in two separate rooms?

--
+==---------------------------------==+
"Booneville" Phil Leslie

FAX (781) 723-2568
http://www.philnlaura.us
http://clik.to/boonevillephil
BLOG ME! - http://boonevillephil.blogspot.com/

January 12th 08, 10:54 PM
In article >,
says...

> I've asked some other cat owners & a friend who owns a pet store about
> this. I have a younger (3 years old) female cat who has an overeating
> problem (gaining weight). In spite of my placing 2 separate bowls across
> the room from each other with food, she almost always will sneak back
> over & nudge the male away & eat his food.
>
> It's to the point that if the male gets to his food bowl, he'll look
> around to see if the female is nearby so he can eat in peace. Short of
> standing over them to make sure both eat peacefully, is there anything
> else I can do? Maybe place the bowls in two separate rooms?

You could try set feeding times and yes, you'll have to supervise.

Rene S.
January 14th 08, 05:48 PM
> It's to the point that if the male gets to his food bowl, he'll look
> around to see if the female is nearby so he can eat in peace. *Short of
> standing over them to make sure both eat peacefully, is there anything
> else I can do? *Maybe place the bowls in two separate rooms?

I have this problem with one of mine. Feeding them scheduled meals
twice per day, in separate rooms, is what I've had to do. In the
morning, I shut one in an office (with litter box) while I get ready
for work. In the evening, it's the same thing while I get the mail,
etc. It's worked great.