PDA

View Full Version : Cat brought strange creature home

Baldoni[_6_]
January 13th 08, 12:59 AM
I have 3 cats but a few months ago one of them came home with this
creature he had picked up. He did not kill it but the 3 of them were
chasing it around but neither of them would harm it.

It managed to get under the furniture and so I was able to catch it.
It had been making a squeaking noise and was about the same size as a
mouse. But it had no front legs and a sort of bottle nose like a
dolphin.

My first thought was that it was a baby hedgehog but they have front
legs. Does anyone know what it might be or has anyone had their cats
bring in something similar ?

I took the creature back out and put him under the fence which borders
the woodland. He was not hurt and soon took off. I kept my cats
indoors for a while so they would not bring him back.

--
Count Baldoni

Gail[_2_]
January 13th 08, 01:10 AM
I'm glad you rescued this little creature (whatever it was).
Gail
"Baldoni" > wrote in message
>I have 3 cats but a few months ago one of them came home with this creature
>he had picked up. He did not kill it but the 3 of them were chasing it
>around but neither of them would harm it.
>
> It managed to get under the furniture and so I was able to catch it. It
> had been making a squeaking noise and was about the same size as a mouse.
> But it had no front legs and a sort of bottle nose like a dolphin.
>
> My first thought was that it was a baby hedgehog but they have front legs.
> Does anyone know what it might be or has anyone had their cats bring in
> something similar ?
>
> I took the creature back out and put him under the fence which borders the
> woodland. He was not hurt and soon took off. I kept my cats indoors for
> a while so they would not bring him back.
>
> --
> Count Baldoni

Dan Espen
January 13th 08, 01:19 AM
Baldoni > writes:

> I have 3 cats but a few months ago one of them came home with this
> creature he had picked up. He did not kill it but the 3 of them were
> chasing it around but neither of them would harm it.
>
> It managed to get under the furniture and so I was able to catch it.
> It had been making a squeaking noise and was about the same size as a
> mouse. But it had no front legs and a sort of bottle nose like a
> dolphin.

I think it had front legs, you may not have seen them.
Unless the cats got them.
The funny nose usually indicates a mole.

Upscale
January 13th 08, 05:06 AM
"Baldoni" > wrote in message
> It managed to get under the furniture and so I was able to catch it.
> It had been making a squeaking noise and was about the same size as a
> mouse. But it had no front legs and a sort of bottle nose like a
> dolphin.

Sounds like a shrew. Was it one of these?
http://www.borealforest.org/zoo/shrew.htm

studio
January 13th 08, 06:51 AM
On Jan 13, 12:06*am, "Upscale" > wrote:
> Sounds like a shrew.

Either a shrew or a kangaroo mouse.

Shrews have the bottle nose, but they have front legs.
Kangaroo mice don't have front legs for running, but
typically don't have a bottle nose.

Maybe it's a new breed of kangaroo shrew?

Baldoni[_6_]
January 13th 08, 12:05 PM
Upscale was thinking very hard :
> "Baldoni" > wrote in message
>> It managed to get under the furniture and so I was able to catch it.
>> It had been making a squeaking noise and was about the same size as a
>> mouse. But it had no front legs and a sort of bottle nose like a
>> dolphin.
>
> Sounds like a shrew. Was it one of these?
> http://www.borealforest.org/zoo/shrew.htm

It looked like one of those but I think it was a baby.

--
Count Baldoni

Baldoni[_6_]
January 13th 08, 12:06 PM
studio was thinking very hard :
> On Jan 13, 12:06*am, "Upscale" > wrote:
>> Sounds like a shrew.
>
> Either a shrew or a kangaroo mouse.
>
> Shrews have the bottle nose, but they have front legs.
> Kangaroo mice don't have front legs for running, but
> typically don't have a bottle nose.
>
> Maybe it's a new breed of kangaroo shrew?

I am in the UK I will check if they are a native of this country.

--
Count Baldoni

Baldoni[_6_]
January 13th 08, 12:08 PM
After serious thinking Gail wrote :
> I'm glad you rescued this little creature (whatever it was).
> Gail
> "Baldoni" > wrote in message

The strange thing about it all was that the 3 cats did not harm it in
any way when they had the chance, nor did they play with it.

--
Count Baldoni

Baldoni[_6_]
January 13th 08, 12:09 PM
cindys explained :
> "Dan Espen" > wrote in message
>> Baldoni > writes:
>>
>>> I have 3 cats but a few months ago one of them came home with this
>>> creature he had picked up. He did not kill it but the 3 of them were
>>> chasing it around but neither of them would harm it.
>>>
>>> It managed to get under the furniture and so I was able to catch it.
>>> It had been making a squeaking noise and was about the same size as a
>>> mouse. But it had no front legs and a sort of bottle nose like a
>>> dolphin.
>>
>> I think it had front legs, you may not have seen them.
>> Unless the cats got them.
>> The funny nose usually indicates a mole.
> --------
> I agree. Sometimes, the nose looks like a miniature octopus. These are called
> "star-nosed" moles.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

It may have been a baby mole.

--
Count Baldoni

Baldoni[_6_]
January 13th 08, 12:14 PM
studio formulated the question :
> On Jan 13, 12:06*am, "Upscale" > wrote:
>> Sounds like a shrew.
>
> Either a shrew or a kangaroo mouse.
>
> Shrews have the bottle nose, but they have front legs.
> Kangaroo mice don't have front legs for running, but
> typically don't have a bottle nose.
>
> Maybe it's a new breed of kangaroo shrew?

I think this is the fellow here although he was young. Maybe I missed
his front legs due to them being small.

http://www.arkive.org/species/ARK/mammals/Sorex_araneus/more_info.html

It mentions that it is illegal to trap these in the UK.

--
Count Baldoni

G Hardy
January 16th 08, 02:19 AM
"Upscale" > wrote in message
> help from these externals is superstition; to refuse to
> join them to the internal is pride.

>etc

Quote Upscale: "Of course they were fake headers. It's the fact you were one
of the targets that says something about you."

OK so now you're a target, what does it say about you?

That was a rhetorical question - don't answer it. I'm not really interested
in perpetuating pointless disagreements.

Paul M. Cook
January 17th 08, 04:33 AM
"Baldoni" > wrote in message
> I have 3 cats but a few months ago one of them came home with this
> creature he had picked up. He did not kill it but the 3 of them were
> chasing it around but neither of them would harm it.
>
> It managed to get under the furniture and so I was able to catch it.
> It had been making a squeaking noise and was about the same size as a
> mouse. But it had no front legs and a sort of bottle nose like a
> dolphin.
>
> My first thought was that it was a baby hedgehog but they have front
> legs. Does anyone know what it might be or has anyone had their cats
> bring in something similar ?
>
> I took the creature back out and put him under the fence which borders
> the woodland. He was not hurt and soon took off. I kept my cats
> indoors for a while so they would not bring him back.

Gopher or a vole.

Paul

William Graham
January 17th 08, 07:59 PM
"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Baldoni" > wrote in message
>> I have 3 cats but a few months ago one of them came home with this
>> creature he had picked up. He did not kill it but the 3 of them were
>> chasing it around but neither of them would harm it.
>>
>> It managed to get under the furniture and so I was able to catch it.
>> It had been making a squeaking noise and was about the same size as a
>> mouse. But it had no front legs and a sort of bottle nose like a
>> dolphin.
>>
>> My first thought was that it was a baby hedgehog but they have front
>> legs. Does anyone know what it might be or has anyone had their cats
>> bring in something similar ?
>>
>> I took the creature back out and put him under the fence which borders
>> the woodland. He was not hurt and soon took off. I kept my cats
>> indoors for a while so they would not bring him back.
>>

> Gopher or a vole.
>
> Paul

Could be a kangaroo rat.....It depends on where he lives......

William Graham
January 17th 08, 09:12 PM
> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>>
>> "Baldoni" > wrote in message
>>> I have 3 cats but a few months ago one of them came home with this
>>> creature he had picked up. He did not kill it but the 3 of them were
>>> chasing it around but neither of them would harm it.
>>>
>>> It managed to get under the furniture and so I was able to catch it.
>>> It had been making a squeaking noise and was about the same size as a
>>> mouse. But it had no front legs and a sort of bottle nose like a
>>> dolphin.
>>>
>>> My first thought was that it was a baby hedgehog but they have front
>>> legs. Does anyone know what it might be or has anyone had their cats
>>> bring in something similar ?
>>>
>>> I took the creature back out and put him under the fence which borders
>>> the woodland. He was not hurt and soon took off. I kept my cats
>>> indoors for a while so they would not bring him back.
>>>

>> Gopher or a vole.
>>
>> Paul
>>

> Could be a kangaroo rat.....It depends on where he lives......

See:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Kangaroo+rat&btnG=Google+Search

Baldoni[_6_]
January 17th 08, 10:47 PM
William Graham formulated on Thursday :
> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>>
>> "Baldoni" > wrote in message
>>> I have 3 cats but a few months ago one of them came home with this
>>> creature he had picked up. He did not kill it but the 3 of them were
>>> chasing it around but neither of them would harm it.
>>>
>>> It managed to get under the furniture and so I was able to catch it.
>>> It had been making a squeaking noise and was about the same size as a
>>> mouse. But it had no front legs and a sort of bottle nose like a
>>> dolphin.
>>>
>>> My first thought was that it was a baby hedgehog but they have front
>>> legs. Does anyone know what it might be or has anyone had their cats
>>> bring in something similar ?
>>>
>>> I took the creature back out and put him under the fence which borders
>>> the woodland. He was not hurt and soon took off. I kept my cats
>>> indoors for a while so they would not bring him back.
>>>

>> Gopher or a vole.
>>
>> Paul
>>

> Could be a kangaroo rat.....It depends on where he lives......

The UK.

--
Count Baldoni

William Graham
January 17th 08, 11:29 PM
"Baldoni" > wrote in message
> William Graham formulated on Thursday :
>> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]

>>> Gopher or a vole.
>>>
>>> Paul
>>>

>> Could be a kangaroo rat.....It depends on where he lives......
>
> The UK.
>
> --
> Count Baldoni

Oh.....I think Kangaroo rats are native to the American Southwest.....but
who knows? people who like pets might bring one anywhere.......

Baldoni[_6_]
January 18th 08, 08:47 AM
William Graham formulated on Thursday :
> "Baldoni" > wrote in message
>> William Graham formulated on Thursday :
>>> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]

>>> Could be a kangaroo rat.....It depends on where he lives......
>>
>> The UK.
>>
>> -- Count Baldoni
>>

> Oh.....I think Kangaroo rats are native to the American Southwest.....but who
> knows? people who like pets might bring one anywhere.......

Well we are over run by the American Gray Squirrel which is not a
native of our shores. I believe the Australians have a problem with
the fox and rabbit.

--
Count Baldoni

William Graham
January 18th 08, 08:56 AM
"Baldoni" > wrote in message
> William Graham formulated on Thursday :
>> "Baldoni" > wrote in message
>>> William Graham formulated on Thursday :

>>> The UK.
>>>
>>> -- Count Baldoni
>>>

>> Oh.....I think Kangaroo rats are native to the American Southwest.....but
>> who knows? people who like pets might bring one anywhere.......
>
> Well we are over run by the American Gray Squirrel which is not a native
> of our shores. I believe the Australians have a problem with the fox and
> rabbit.
>
> --
> Count Baldoni

And the dingo too, if I recall correctly. But once people started sailing
their ships around the globe, it became inevitable that species would
eventually migrate everywhere. I understand that there are even some wild
leopards in GB. Or maybe that's just a wild tale like our "bigfoot".......

Baldoni[_6_]
January 18th 08, 11:45 PM
William Graham presented the following explanation :
> "Baldoni" > wrote in message
>> William Graham formulated on Thursday :

>>> Oh.....I think Kangaroo rats are native to the American Southwest.....but
>>> who knows? people who like pets might bring one anywhere.......
>>
>> Well we are over run by the American Gray Squirrel which is not a native of
>> our shores. I believe the Australians have a problem with the fox and
>> rabbit.
>>
>> -- Count Baldoni
>>

> And the dingo too, if I recall correctly. But once people started sailing
> their ships around the globe, it became inevitable that species would
> eventually migrate everywhere. I understand that there are even some wild
> leopards in GB. Or maybe that's just a wild tale like our "bigfoot".......

They seem to think there are big cats out on the moors and countryside.
I think a lot of them are feral cats that were living on industrial
sites like steelworks.

I read tonight that a small steelworks employing 300 people that closed
have 100 semi feral cats that a animal refuge are trying to take care
of. There was a bigger place that employed about 11,000 at its peak
and a relative of mine said the cats were a hell of a size that lived
there.

There are supposed to be big cats in places like Dartmoor and Bodmin
Moor but a trapper came over from Canada and dismissed the idea in his
opinion as he could find not one shred of evidence, ie scratch marks,
that a big cat was on the loose.

When we approach spring/summer the sightings will increase and anything
from black labradors to old duffel coats will get reported as big cat
sightings.

--
Count Baldoni

William Graham
January 19th 08, 12:06 AM
"Baldoni" > wrote in message
> William Graham presented the following explanation :
>> "Baldoni" > wrote in message
>>> William Graham formulated on Thursday :

>>> Well we are over run by the American Gray Squirrel which is not a native
>>> of our shores. I believe the Australians have a problem with the fox
>>> and rabbit.
>>>
>>> -- Count Baldoni
>>>

>> And the dingo too, if I recall correctly. But once people started sailing
>> their ships around the globe, it became inevitable that species would
>> eventually migrate everywhere. I understand that there are even some wild
>> leopards in GB. Or maybe that's just a wild tale like our
>> "bigfoot".......
>
> They seem to think there are big cats out on the moors and countryside. I
> think a lot of them are feral cats that were living on industrial sites
> like steelworks.
>
> I read tonight that a small steelworks employing 300 people that closed
> have 100 semi feral cats that a animal refuge are trying to take care of.
> There was a bigger place that employed about 11,000 at its peak and a
> relative of mine said the cats were a hell of a size that lived there.
>
> There are supposed to be big cats in places like Dartmoor and Bodmin Moor
> but a trapper came over from Canada and dismissed the idea in his opinion
> as he could find not one shred of evidence, ie scratch marks, that a big
> cat was on the loose.
>
> When we approach spring/summer the sightings will increase and anything
> from black labradors to old duffel coats will get reported as big cat
> sightings.
>
> --
> Count Baldoni

Yeah.....We have the same problem here. It's impossible to separate the real
sightings from those of the "kooks", so you never know what to believe. Many
years ago, I used to get the GB publication, "New Scientist" through
Stanford University, where I worked. In one issue back in the 70's or early
80's there was an article about two Brits who were stomping out crop circles
as a joke, and getting their midnight art published in the local newspapers.
When the British government announced that they were going to spend 50
thousand Pounds investigating the phenomenon, these guys turned themselves
in, so their government wouldn't waste the money. "We did it" they said. "It
was just a big joke, so don't waste any money investigating it."
Well, I sure wish I had saved that issue, because I have been hearing
about crop circles ever since. Nobody cares that it was just a hoax
perpetrated by those two Brits, they want to believe in crop circles, and by
God, they are going to believe in them no matter what! Tens of thousands of
acres of corn and wheat fields have been stomped out here in the US since
that article was published, and the cult of people who believe that it was
all done by aliens from outer space is so large that they even have their
own lobbies in congress to get the money appropriated to them to investigate
the phenomenon. The two British guys who started it all were worried about
their government wasting money on it, and there are tens of thousands of
guys here in the AUS who are gleefully laughing at the prospect of their
government spending millions investigating it. - I guess that pretty well
illustrates the difference between the way British subjects and Americans
think.....