PDA

View Full Version : my cat keeps losing his collar!

Maxine G
January 14th 08, 07:41 PM
Hi. My cat has now lost about 5 collars in the neighborhood. This doesn't
count those that neighbors have found and returned. Many of the times he's
come in without it, he's also been a bit muddy, so I suspect he's been
crawling under some brush that's snagged it.

It's expensive because we have a magnetic cat door, so each time we replace
a collar, we also have to replace the magnet and his tag.

We've tried several different types of collars - break-away and stretchy.
Obviously we want to continue to use a safety collar, so that he CAN get
out of it in an emergency.

Does anyone have a particular type of collar to recommend?

I've also considered getting some kind of device which would track the
collar, like one of those key rings that beeps. Any suggestions there?

Thanks,
Maxine

--
mgusenet+this year at pcg dot net

January 14th 08, 08:39 PM
On Jan 14, 1:41 pm, Maxine G > wrote:
> Hi. My cat has now lost about 5 collars in the neighborhood. This doesn't
> count those that neighbors have found and returned. Many of the times he's
> come in without it, he's also been a bit muddy, so I suspect he's been
> crawling under some brush that's snagged it.
>
> It's expensive because we have a magnetic cat door, so each time we replace
> a collar, we also have to replace the magnet and his tag.
>
> We've tried several different types of collars - break-away and stretchy.
> Obviously we want to continue to use a safety collar, so that he CAN get
> out of it in an emergency.
>
> Does anyone have a particular type of collar to recommend?
>
> I've also considered getting some kind of device which would track the
> collar, like one of those key rings that beeps. Any suggestions there?
>
> Thanks,
> Maxine
>
> --
> mgusenet+this year at pcg dot net

I have the same problem with those Glo Kitty break away collars that
are supposed to reflect a cars headlights. He loses about one a month
or more. I wish they would make them so they just stretch over a cats
head to get them on, and they would be stretchy enough to protect the
cat should he get caught on something. I'm beginning to think mine
just hates the bell, and has figured out how to get it off. I caught
him on his hind legs trying to turn the door knob a few times, so that
doesn't seem unlikely...LOL!

AZ Nomad
January 14th 08, 09:48 PM
On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 18:41:39 GMT, Maxine G > wrote:
>Hi. My cat has now lost about 5 collars in the neighborhood. This doesn't
>count those that neighbors have found and returned. Many of the times he's
>come in without it, he's also been a bit muddy, so I suspect he's been
>crawling under some brush that's snagged it.

>It's expensive because we have a magnetic cat door, so each time we replace
>a collar, we also have to replace the magnet and his tag.

>We've tried several different types of collars - break-away and stretchy.
>Obviously we want to continue to use a safety collar, so that he CAN get
>out of it in an emergency.

>Does anyone have a particular type of collar to recommend?

There's no collar that can be kept on a cat if kitty doesn't want it there.
Choice 1) get a breakaway/stretchy and lose it. 2) get a standard collar
and risk kitty strangling 3) just do without.

Do you really need a magnetic cat door? Are there other cats trying to get
in? Raccoons? Very small children?

Maxine G
January 14th 08, 10:41 PM
AZ Nomad > wrote in
:

> On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 18:41:39 GMT, Maxine G > wrote:
>>Hi. My cat has now lost about 5 collars in the neighborhood. This
>>doesn't count those that neighbors have found and returned. Many of
>>the times he's come in without it, he's also been a bit muddy, so I
>>suspect he's been crawling under some brush that's snagged it.
>

>>It's expensive because we have a magnetic cat door, so each time we
>>replace a collar, we also have to replace the magnet and his tag.
>
>>We've tried several different types of collars - break-away and
>>stretchy. Obviously we want to continue to use a safety collar, so
>>that he CAN get out of it in an emergency.
>
>>Does anyone have a particular type of collar to recommend?
>
> There's no collar that can be kept on a cat if kitty doesn't want it
> there. Choice 1) get a breakaway/stretchy and lose it. 2) get a
> standard collar and risk kitty strangling 3) just do without.
>
> Do you really need a magnetic cat door? Are there other cats trying
> to get in? Raccoons? Very small children?

Raccoons getting into cat doors are a big problem around here. Maybe we
just need to accept frequent replacement of collars.

--
mgusenet+this year at pcg dot net

cybercat
January 14th 08, 11:15 PM
"Maxine G" > wrote
> Raccoons getting into cat doors are a big problem around here. Maybe we
> just need to accept frequent replacement of collars.

Or you could just let your cat out when you can be there to supervise.

blkcatgal
January 15th 08, 01:28 AM
A great stretchy collar that you can try is Beastie Bands. They velcro
together but are made of a stretchy material that you could just slip over
the cat's head if you wanted. They are very light weight too. My cats wear
them and don't seem to mind. Check them out at catconnection.com. (That's
where I bought mine from.)

S.
---
> wrote in message
> On Jan 14, 1:41 pm, Maxine G > wrote:
>> Hi. My cat has now lost about 5 collars in the neighborhood. This doesn't
>> count those that neighbors have found and returned. Many of the times
>> he's
>> come in without it, he's also been a bit muddy, so I suspect he's been
>> crawling under some brush that's snagged it.
>>
>> It's expensive because we have a magnetic cat door, so each time we
>> replace
>> a collar, we also have to replace the magnet and his tag.
>>
>> We've tried several different types of collars - break-away and stretchy.
>> Obviously we want to continue to use a safety collar, so that he CAN get
>> out of it in an emergency.
>>
>> Does anyone have a particular type of collar to recommend?
>>
>> I've also considered getting some kind of device which would track the
>> collar, like one of those key rings that beeps. Any suggestions there?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Maxine
>>
>> --
>> mgusenet+this year at pcg dot net
>
> I have the same problem with those Glo Kitty break away collars that
> are supposed to reflect a cars headlights. He loses about one a month
> or more. I wish they would make them so they just stretch over a cats
> head to get them on, and they would be stretchy enough to protect the
> cat should he get caught on something. I'm beginning to think mine
> just hates the bell, and has figured out how to get it off. I caught
> him on his hind legs trying to turn the door knob a few times, so that
> doesn't seem unlikely...LOL!

Maxine G
January 15th 08, 01:52 AM
"blkcatgal" > wrote in
:

> A great stretchy collar that you can try is Beastie Bands. They
> velcro together but are made of a stretchy material that you could
> just slip over the cat's head if you wanted. They are very light
> weight too. My cats wear them and don't seem to mind. Check them out
> at catconnection.com. (That's where I bought mine from.)
>
> S.

Thanks. That's the first one he lost!

--
mgusenet+this year at pcg dot net

blkcatgal
January 15th 08, 02:35 AM
Yes, my one cat somehow manages to get his off every once and awhile, too.
But he is strictly an indoor cat so I don't have the same issue as you. My
comment about Beastie Bands was also directed to sheelah who asked about a
type of collar that you could slip over the cat's head.

S.
---

"Maxine G" > wrote in message
. 17.102...
> "blkcatgal" > wrote in
> :
>
>> A great stretchy collar that you can try is Beastie Bands. They
>> velcro together but are made of a stretchy material that you could
>> just slip over the cat's head if you wanted. They are very light
>> weight too. My cats wear them and don't seem to mind. Check them out
>> at catconnection.com. (That's where I bought mine from.)
>>
>> S.
>
> Thanks. That's the first one he lost!
>
> --
> mgusenet+this year at pcg dot net

Ted Davis[_2_]
January 15th 08, 02:49 AM
On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 21:41:50 +0000, Maxine G wrote:

> Raccoons getting into cat doors are a big problem around here. Maybe we
> just need to accept frequent replacement of collars.

Been there, solved the problem. I have 15 cats and live in raccoon and
possum teritory. I used to have to chase them out nearly every night - I
even found a possum taking a nap in my computer room. The only varmin
that got inside in the last year was a coon that came in one night I left
the back door open too long. The cats, all but the oldest (very frail)
come and go at will through the new cat flap.

The secret is not the design of the cat flap or some special recognition
device, it's the placement of the flap: if the platform outside the flap
requires a leap of three feet or so to reach, cats have no problem but
raccoons and possums can't leap, and therefore can't reach the platform.
It has to be constructed so that the vermin can't reach it by climbing.

In this picture (<http://67.54.246.139:9000/tdavis/cats/cat_flap.jpg>),
Tigger is on the platform for the vermin proof version - the hole next to
the bottom of the door is the old one and has been blocked off.

It would be practical to put one in a window - just watch the length of
the leap and provide a reasonable platform for landing in both directions
(mine are the top step and the shelf.

--

T.E.D. ) MST (Missouri University of Science and Technology)
used to be UMR (University of Missouri - Rolla).

Ted Davis[_2_]
January 15th 08, 02:53 AM
On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 19:28:38 -0500, blkcatgal wrote:

> A great stretchy collar that you can try is Beastie Bands. They velcro
> together but are made of a stretchy material that you could just slip over
> the cat's head if you wanted. They are very light weight too. My cats
> wear them and don't seem to mind. Check them out at catconnection.com.
> (That's where I bought mine from.)

I have to color code three red tabbies that I otherwise can't tell apart
- I make their collars by stapling the ends of a piece of 1/2 inch wide
sewing elastic that I have colored with permanent markers (sewing would be
better than stapling).

--

T.E.D. ) MST (Missouri University of Science and Technology)
used to be UMR (University of Missouri - Rolla).

dejablues[_2_]
January 15th 08, 04:35 AM
"Maxine G" > wrote in message
. 33.102...
> Hi. My cat has now lost about 5 collars in the neighborhood. This doesn't
> count those that neighbors have found and returned. Many of the times he's
> come in without it, he's also been a bit muddy, so I suspect he's been
> crawling under some brush that's snagged it.
>

> It's expensive because we have a magnetic cat door, so each time we
> replace
> a collar, we also have to replace the magnet and his tag.
>
> We've tried several different types of collars - break-away and stretchy.
> Obviously we want to continue to use a safety collar, so that he CAN get
> out of it in an emergency.
>
> Does anyone have a particular type of collar to recommend?
>
> I've also considered getting some kind of device which would track the
> collar, like one of those key rings that beeps. Any suggestions there?

Boo ****ing hoo.
Keep your cat indoors. The money you've spent on collars and cat doors will
pale in comparison to what you spend to cure the illnesses he gets from
roaming.

AZ Nomad
January 15th 08, 05:10 AM
On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 03:35:30 GMT, dejablues > wrote:

>"Maxine G" > wrote in message
. 33.102...
>> Hi. My cat has now lost about 5 collars in the neighborhood. This doesn't
>> count those that neighbors have found and returned. Many of the times he's
>> come in without it, he's also been a bit muddy, so I suspect he's been
>> crawling under some brush that's snagged it.
>>

>> It's expensive because we have a magnetic cat door, so each time we
>> replace
>> a collar, we also have to replace the magnet and his tag.
>>
>> We've tried several different types of collars - break-away and stretchy.
>> Obviously we want to continue to use a safety collar, so that he CAN get
>> out of it in an emergency.
>>
>> Does anyone have a particular type of collar to recommend?
>>
>> I've also considered getting some kind of device which would track the
>> collar, like one of those key rings that beeps. Any suggestions there?
>>

>Boo ****ing hoo.
>Keep your cat indoors. The money you've spent on collars and cat doors will
>pale in comparison to what you spend to cure the illnesses he gets from
>roaming.

please don't feed this troll

cybercat
January 15th 08, 06:16 AM
"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 03:35:30 GMT, dejablues > wrote:
>
>>"Maxine G" > wrote in message
. 33.102...
>>> Hi. My cat has now lost about 5 collars in the neighborhood. This
>>> doesn't
>>> count those that neighbors have found and returned. Many of the times
>>> he's
>>> come in without it, he's also been a bit muddy, so I suspect he's been
>>> crawling under some brush that's snagged it.
>>>

>>> It's expensive because we have a magnetic cat door, so each time we
>>> replace
>>> a collar, we also have to replace the magnet and his tag.
>>>
>>> We've tried several different types of collars - break-away and
>>> stretchy.
>>> Obviously we want to continue to use a safety collar, so that he CAN get
>>> out of it in an emergency.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have a particular type of collar to recommend?
>>>
>>> I've also considered getting some kind of device which would track the
>>> collar, like one of those key rings that beeps. Any suggestions there?
>>>

>>Boo ****ing hoo.
>>Keep your cat indoors. The money you've spent on collars and cat doors
>>will
>>pale in comparison to what you spend to cure the illnesses he gets from
>>roaming.
>

> please don't feed this troll

The sad thing is, the bitch is not a troll. Just another shallow asshole who
sees cats as not worthy of good care.

honeybunch
January 16th 08, 01:31 PM
On Jan 14, 7:52 pm, Maxine G > wrote:
> "blkcatgal" > wrote m:
>
> > A great stretchy collar that you can try is Beastie Bands. They
> > velcro together but are made of a stretchy material that you could
> > just slip over the cat's head if you wanted. They are very light
> > weight too. My cats wear them and don't seem to mind. Check them out
> > at catconnection.com. (That's where I bought mine from.)
>
> > S.
>
> Thanks. That's the first one he lost!
>
> --
> mgusenet+this year at pcg dot net

the beastie brand velcro collar looks great but the site is
impossible. YOu cant order one because it piles all these other
things on it. I give up. I wonder where else you can get those
collars.

blkcatgal
January 17th 08, 05:53 AM
I ordered mine from catconnection.com

S.
---

"honeybunch" > wrote in message
> On Jan 14, 7:52 pm, Maxine G > wrote:
>> "blkcatgal" > wrote
>> m:
>>
>> > A great stretchy collar that you can try is Beastie Bands. They
>> > velcro together but are made of a stretchy material that you could
>> > just slip over the cat's head if you wanted. They are very light
>> > weight too. My cats wear them and don't seem to mind. Check them out
>> > at catconnection.com. (That's where I bought mine from.)
>>
>> > S.
>>
>> Thanks. That's the first one he lost!
>>
>> --
>> mgusenet+this year at pcg dot net
>

> the beastie brand velcro collar looks great but the site is
> impossible. YOu cant order one because it piles all these other
> things on it. I give up. I wonder where else you can get those
> collars.

honeybunch
February 29th 08, 02:51 PM
On Jan 16, 7:31 am, honeybunch > wrote:
> On Jan 14, 7:52 pm, Maxine G > wrote:
>
> > "blkcatgal" > wrote m:
>
> > > A great stretchycollarthat you can try is Beastie Bands. They
> > > velcro together but are made of a stretchy material that you could
> > > just slip over the cat's head if you wanted. They are very light
> > > weight too. My cats wear them and don't seem to mind. Check them out
> > > at catconnection.com. (That's where I bought mine from.)
>
> > > S.
>
> > Thanks. That's the first one he lost!
>
> > --
> > mgusenet+this year at pcg dot net
>
> the beastie brand velcrocollarlooks great but the site is
> impossible. YOu cant order one because it piles all these other
> things on it. I give up. I wonder where else you can get those
> collars.

I just wanted to say the beastie brand velcro collar is a perfect
collar. I was going on a 2 week vacation and Beebe was staying at the
house of a friend and I wanted him to have his identification lavalier
on just in case he slipped outside so I ordered the collar from the
cat connection. The problem was it didnt come in time. If you order
a collar, you must realize that the cat connection is in Texas and if
you dont pay for 1st class shipment, the collar is sent like a letter
and it takes a very long time to come to Philadelphia PA from Texas
indeed. I dont understand why the us mail is sooo slow. So I had to
use the same old elastic collar from Petsmart. Beebe is very has a
very puffy coat and the beastie brand collar with a velcro closing is
so much more comfortable for him. Its very worthwhile getting this
collar plus the collar is quite attractive. Anyhow he never wanted to
escape. Quite the contrary. Someone here once wrote about his cat
looking for the "door to springtime." Well, Beebe has been doing just
that.