PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is my weird cat doing?

January 15th 08, 07:54 PM
He will take part of a blanket or sweater in his teeth, bunch it up a
bit under him, and then walk in place with his front paws all the
while purring while holding it in his teeth. He's not humping it, or
really making contact with it near his hind quarters that I can see. I
can't for the life of me figure out what's going on and why he enjoys
doing this. Any ideas?

IBen Getiner
January 15th 08, 08:24 PM
On Jan 15, 1:54�pm, " > wrote:
> He will take part of a blanket or sweater in his teeth, bunch it up a
> bit under him, and then walk in place with his front paws all the
> while purring while holding it in his teeth. He's not humping it, or
> really making contact with it near his hind quarters that I can see. I
> can't for the life of me figure out what's going on and why he enjoys
> doing this. Any ideas?

He'z probably trying to tell you that he'z got a BB up his azz....

IBen Getiner

mlbriggs
January 15th 08, 08:56 PM
On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 10:54:48 -0800, wrote:

> He will take part of a blanket or sweater in his teeth, bunch it up a bit
> under him, and then walk in place with his front paws all the while
> purring while holding it in his teeth. He's not humping it, or really
> making contact with it near his hind quarters that I can see. I can't for
> the life of me figure out what's going on and why he enjoys doing this.
> Any ideas?

Like any little kid, he drags his"security blankie" with him.

kraut
January 15th 08, 09:17 PM
>He will take part of a blanket or sweater in his teeth, bunch it up a
>bit under him, and then walk in place with his front paws all the
>while purring while holding it in his teeth. He's not humping it, or
>really making contact with it near his hind quarters that I can see. I
>can't for the life of me figure out what's going on and why he enjoys
>doing this. Any ideas?

Kneading is a sign of contentment usually but in this case it might be
making up his "bed" or resting place.

January 15th 08, 10:27 PM
On Jan 15, 3:17 pm, kraut >
wrote:
> >He will take part of a blanket or sweater in his teeth, bunch it up a
> >bit under him, and then walk in place with his front paws all the
> >while purring while holding it in his teeth. He's not humping it, or
> >really making contact with it near his hind quarters that I can see. I
> >can't for the life of me figure out what's going on and why he enjoys
> >doing this. Any ideas?
>
> Kneading is a sign of contentment usually but in this case it might be
> making up his "bed" or resting place.

Well, I don't think he's making his bed or resting place. He actually
is messing it up when I fold a nice plush, fuzzy blanket for him into
several layers for him to sleep on. He also loses interest and leaves
the sweater or blanket instead of resting on it. He's not partials to
any one item. Anything he can find loose he will do that too. I don't
know if he's kneading. It's more shifting his weight back and forth
from each front paw with part of the item in his mouth. Very strange.
I wish I knew what he was trying to do.

kraut
January 15th 08, 11:20 PM
>> >He will take part of a blanket or sweater in his teeth, bunch it up a
>> >bit under him, and then walk in place with his front paws all the
>> >while purring while holding it in his teeth. He's not humping it, or
>> >really making contact with it near his hind quarters that I can see. I
>> >can't for the life of me figure out what's going on and why he enjoys
>> >doing this. Any ideas?

>> Kneading is a sign of contentment usually but in this case it might be
>> making up his "bed" or resting place.

>Well, I don't think he's making his bed or resting place. He actually
>is messing it up when I fold a nice plush, fuzzy blanket for him into
>several layers for him to sleep on. He also loses interest and leaves
>the sweater or blanket instead of resting on it. He's not partials to
>any one item. Anything he can find loose he will do that too. I don't
>know if he's kneading. It's more shifting his weight back and forth
>from each front paw with part of the item in his mouth. Very strange.
>I wish I knew what he was trying to do.

Maybe he is trying to drive you batty wondering what he is doing!!

HEE HEE :-)

dgk
January 16th 08, 02:18 PM
On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 11:24:45 -0800 (PST), IBen Getiner
> wrote:

>On Jan 15, 1:54?pm, " > wrote:
>> He will take part of a blanket or sweater in his teeth, bunch it up a
>> bit under him, and then walk in place with his front paws all the
>> while purring while holding it in his teeth. He's not humping it, or
>> really making contact with it near his hind quarters that I can see. I
>> can't for the life of me figure out what's going on and why he enjoys
>> doing this. Any ideas?
>
>He'z probably trying to tell you that he'z got a BB up his azz....
>

>IBen Getiner

sociopath

dgk
January 16th 08, 02:22 PM
On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 10:54:48 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>He will take part of a blanket or sweater in his teeth, bunch it up a
>bit under him, and then walk in place with his front paws all the
>while purring while holding it in his teeth. He's not humping it, or
>really making contact with it near his hind quarters that I can see. I
>can't for the life of me figure out what's going on and why he enjoys
>doing this. Any ideas?

All of my cats do that on rare occassion, but Espy does it
consistently on two of his favorite "mushy" beds. On one, he does it
for a good five minutes, slowly rotating so he does the whole bed.
Then he curls up and goes to sleep. Cats are weird.

Dani
January 16th 08, 03:21 PM
On Jan 16, 8:22*am, dgk > wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 10:54:48 -0800 (PST), "
>
> > wrote:
> >He will take part of a blanket or sweater in his teeth, bunch it up a
> >bit under him, and then walk in place with his front paws all the
> >while purring while holding it in his teeth. He's not humping it, or
> >really making contact with it near his hind quarters that I can see. I
> >can't for the life of me figure out what's going on and why he enjoys
> >doing this. Any ideas?
>
> All of my cats do that on rare occassion, but Espy does it
> consistently on two of his favorite "mushy" beds. On one, he does it
> for a good five minutes, slowly rotating so he does the whole bed.
> Then he curls up and goes to sleep. Cats are weird.

That's what cats do when they are comfortable, content..... all I know
is I find
it to be one of the cutest things my cat does. It makes my heart melt
to see how
adorable and warm and cozy she makes herself.....then she falls asleep
pretty
much right after she's done.

Paul M. Cook
January 17th 08, 05:23 AM
> wrote in message
> He will take part of a blanket or sweater in his teeth, bunch it up a
> bit under him, and then walk in place with his front paws all the
> while purring while holding it in his teeth. He's not humping it, or
> really making contact with it near his hind quarters that I can see. I
> can't for the life of me figure out what's going on and why he enjoys
> doing this. Any ideas?

I'd not call him a weird cat at all, I'd call him one of those very special
and rare cats that do things like this. He knows he can have his blankie
with him where *he* wants it to be and not where it happens to be at the
time. Smart kitty.

Paul

Paul M. Cook
January 17th 08, 05:26 AM
> wrote in message
> On Jan 15, 3:17 pm, kraut >
> wrote:
> > >He will take part of a blanket or sweater in his teeth, bunch it up a
> > >bit under him, and then walk in place with his front paws all the
> > >while purring while holding it in his teeth. He's not humping it, or
> > >really making contact with it near his hind quarters that I can see. I
> > >can't for the life of me figure out what's going on and why he enjoys
> > >doing this. Any ideas?
> >
> > Kneading is a sign of contentment usually but in this case it might be
> > making up his "bed" or resting place.
>
> Well, I don't think he's making his bed or resting place. He actually
> is messing it up when I fold a nice plush, fuzzy blanket for him into
> several layers for him to sleep on. He also loses interest and leaves
> the sweater or blanket instead of resting on it. He's not partials to
> any one item. Anything he can find loose he will do that too. I don't
> know if he's kneading. It's more shifting his weight back and forth
> from each front paw with part of the item in his mouth. Very strange.
> I wish I knew what he was trying to do.

It is also possible it just feels good. I know how nice warm fuzzy bedding
can be fresh from the dryer. I'm sure it is just giving him pleasure. Cats
get satiated with pleasure fairly quickly though and then they just abruptly
walk away. It's really not at all uncommon behavior.

Paul