PDA

View Full Version : Is Nuggy sick?

January 17th 08, 09:57 AM
Nuggy just showed up outside so a year ago got him fixed/shots/tests
(clean), released him after a week and he stuck around. He got
'almost' friendly so over time we got close enough to take him in. He
was a mess but after a couple months now the fleas are gone (front-
line med) and ear mites are gone (repeated Cleaning and Acarexx med)
and his diarrhea is almost gone. I gave him a pet store worm med but
threw it away after reading bad stuff. He's a bed cat 99% of the time
but still nervous outside of that. He's been indoor for about 2 months
now. Food is Purina One Urinary Tract formula dry with canned Friskies
occasionally. I'm guessing from his teeth wear to be 'middle aged'.

Nuggy aclimated: http://karlzona.smugmug.com/gallery/3055277#243955028
Nuggy teeth pic: http://karlzona.smugmug.com/gallery/3055277#183039519

I'm not sure if he's sick.... He has some symptoms I'll list so feel
free to opine:
Stomach is big, feels bloated and very firm like under pressure...
Appetite is very good though....
Poop is yellow/tan and soft or frequently runny before and very, Very,
VERY smelly!.....
He sometimes coughs/sneezes, no noticeable discharge...
When he purrs he grumbles like a tribble, maybe it's wheezng?....
He had a bite wound that had discharge but it cleaned up after a
month, no lump inside felt.
Sometimes he looks all disheveled with 'that look' of a sick cat, or
am I just nervous too?
Eyes and nose are clean, no discharge....

Yes, I'll bring him to the vet soon.... Please don't tell me FIP, one
had that several years ago that also came from outside and it was the
worst thing we ever went though. Half-White did not make it and was
too young (about a year or so) to go like that. He is still missed.
Half-White: http://karlzona.smugmug.com/gallery/3055277#183038569

Thanks, KarlZona.

January 17th 08, 10:02 AM
Forgot another symptom...
He also pukes frequently too, the dry food puke looks like he just
swallowed it whole! The pieces are completely intact in full size
along with a fluid, probably the drinking water?

> I'm not sure if he's sick.... He has some symptoms I'll list so feel
> free to opine:

Gail[_2_]
January 17th 08, 01:44 PM
Sounds like he has worms at the very least. He should see a vet.
Gail
> wrote in message
> Nuggy just showed up outside so a year ago got him fixed/shots/tests
> (clean), released him after a week and he stuck around. He got
> 'almost' friendly so over time we got close enough to take him in. He
> was a mess but after a couple months now the fleas are gone (front-
> line med) and ear mites are gone (repeated Cleaning and Acarexx med)
> and his diarrhea is almost gone. I gave him a pet store worm med but
> threw it away after reading bad stuff. He's a bed cat 99% of the time
> but still nervous outside of that. He's been indoor for about 2 months
> now. Food is Purina One Urinary Tract formula dry with canned Friskies
> occasionally. I'm guessing from his teeth wear to be 'middle aged'.
>
> Nuggy aclimated: http://karlzona.smugmug.com/gallery/3055277#243955028
> Nuggy teeth pic: http://karlzona.smugmug.com/gallery/3055277#183039519
>
> I'm not sure if he's sick.... He has some symptoms I'll list so feel
> free to opine:
> Stomach is big, feels bloated and very firm like under pressure...
> Appetite is very good though....
> Poop is yellow/tan and soft or frequently runny before and very, Very,
> VERY smelly!.....
> He sometimes coughs/sneezes, no noticeable discharge...
> When he purrs he grumbles like a tribble, maybe it's wheezng?....
> He had a bite wound that had discharge but it cleaned up after a
> month, no lump inside felt.
> Sometimes he looks all disheveled with 'that look' of a sick cat, or
> am I just nervous too?
> Eyes and nose are clean, no discharge....
>
> Yes, I'll bring him to the vet soon.... Please don't tell me FIP, one
> had that several years ago that also came from outside and it was the
> worst thing we ever went though. Half-White did not make it and was
> too young (about a year or so) to go like that. He is still missed.
> Half-White: http://karlzona.smugmug.com/gallery/3055277#183038569
>
> Thanks, KarlZona.

Gail[_2_]
January 17th 08, 02:21 PM
Try switching him to canned food.
Gail
> wrote in message
> Forgot another symptom...
> He also pukes frequently too, the dry food puke looks like he just
> swallowed it whole! The pieces are completely intact in full size
> along with a fluid, probably the drinking water?
>
>> I'm not sure if he's sick.... He has some symptoms I'll list so feel
>> free to opine:

Rene S.
January 17th 08, 07:10 PM
> Yes, I'll bring him to the vet soon.... Please don't tell me FIP, one
> had that several years ago that also came from outside and it was the
> worst thing we ever went though. Half-White did not make it and was
> too young (about a year or so) to go like that. He is still missed.
> Half-White:http://karlzona.smugmug.com/gallery/3055277#183038569

First, thank you for taking Nuggy in. It sounds like he needed a good
home. It's hard to guess what he has without seeing him, but probably
worms, and/or possibly a respiratory infection. (I am not a vet.) You
might try putting him on a high-quality canned diet, which would
certainly help with the smelly #2s. There are several good brands to
try, but I like Wellness. Others are Innova and Nature's Variety.

He certainly needs to be seen by a vet to get treated for whatever he
has, but I think you already know that. :)

Rene

January 29th 08, 05:14 PM
> First, thank you for taking Nuggy in.

Thank you too Rene...

> He certainly needs to be seen by a vet to get treated for whatever he
> has, but I think you already know that. :)
>
> Rene

He's eating well, changed food and no more direhea. He's on Clavamox
for wheezing while purring, sneezing, runny nose.

We got some blood work back from the vet which is not soo good.....
She (Dr.) said he's 8-10 years old.
-FIV (feline AIDs if I understand correctly)
-Coronal virus
-Liver Enzymes high

We have some thinking to do, especially with six other kitties in the
house to consider. Sorry to get you all down, sorry I let Nuggy down
too. I should have took him in when he was fixed a year ago. He's very
happy and comfortable now, he's better not knowing what's going on, we
should all be so lucky.
Thanks all. Karl.