PDA

View Full Version : left paw vs. right paw

Elizabeth Blake[_2_]
January 18th 08, 04:48 AM
Has anyone noticed if their cat is a righty or lefty? I've always
noticed that Otto uses his front left paw when reaching for things.
Recently I decided to see what tricks I could teach my two guys.
They both know "sit" and will do it on command, so I decided to teach
them "paw" next. Treats are a powerful motivator and they both
caught on quickly. I forgot that Otto is a lefty and would pick up
his right paw when I started teaching them.

Now when I get out the treats, he sometimes starts to give me his
left paw but then he remembers what I've taught him and gives me his
right paw instead. If we're not in trick mode and I decide to just
hand him a scrap of my food, he grabs it with his left as usual.

--
Liz

mlbriggs
January 18th 08, 07:20 AM
On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 22:48:20 -0500, Elizabeth Blake wrote:

> Has anyone noticed if their cat is a righty or lefty? I've always noticed
> that Otto uses his front left paw when reaching for things. Recently I
> decided to see what tricks I could teach my two guys. They both know "sit"
> and will do it on command, so I decided to teach them "paw" next. Treats
> are a powerful motivator and they both caught on quickly. I forgot that
> Otto is a lefty and would pick up his right paw when I started teaching
> them.
>
> Now when I get out the treats, he sometimes starts to give me his left paw
> but then he remembers what I've taught him and gives me his right paw
> instead. If we're not in trick mode and I decide to just hand him a scrap
> of my food, he grabs it with his left as usual.

I'd like to know more about your teaching method. MLB

Elizabeth Blake[_2_]
January 19th 08, 05:47 AM
"mlbriggs" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 22:48:20 -0500, Elizabeth Blake wrote:
>
>> Has anyone noticed if their cat is a righty or lefty? I've always
>> noticed
>> that Otto uses his front left paw when reaching for things.
>> Recently I
>> decided to see what tricks I could teach my two guys. They both
>> know "sit"
>> and will do it on command, so I decided to teach them "paw" next.
>> Treats
>> are a powerful motivator and they both caught on quickly. I
>> forgot that
>> Otto is a lefty and would pick up his right paw when I started
>> teaching
>> them.
>>
>> Now when I get out the treats, he sometimes starts to give me his
>> left paw
>> but then he remembers what I've taught him and gives me his right
>> paw
>> instead. If we're not in trick mode and I decide to just hand him
>> a scrap
>> of my food, he grabs it with his left as usual.

> I'd like to know more about your teaching method. MLB

Teaching them to sit was easy. I just pushed their butts down as I
said "sit", then they got a treat. Now all I have to do is look at
them and they sit. Same thing when teaching them to give me their
paw. I picked up the paw and said "paw" at the same time, then they
got a treat. Isaac still sometimes will try to flip my hand over
after he gives me his paw because he's hoping that's the hand holding
the treat. I taught them paw starting only last week - they catch on
quickly.

--
Liz