PDA

View Full Version : Should I take my cat to the emergency vet?

January 19th 08, 03:08 PM
Hello,

Yesterday I noticed my cat was squinting one of her eyes. I opened
her eye and noticed that the white part was a bit red. I phoned my
vet, but they are booked solid and can't see her until Tuesday.

They said I could call back this morning and see if there were any
cancellations, or maybe they could squeeze me in. I wasn't too
concerned because a little later she didn't seem to be squinting her
eye anymore, however this morning she is squinting the eye again.

My vet opens soon and I will be calling, but if she can't get in
should I take her to one of our emergency 24 hour clinics? I don't
feel it is an emergency, because otherwise she seems fine, eating,
playing, etc .... but I am concerned about waiting until Tuesday in
case it gets worse.

Any thoughts? I think I've pretty much decided I will take her, I
just hope they aren't upset with me for bringing in a non urgent
patient.

Noon Cat Nick
January 19th 08, 03:20 PM
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Yesterday I noticed my cat was squinting one of her eyes. I opened
> her eye and noticed that the white part was a bit red. I phoned my
> vet, but they are booked solid and can't see her until Tuesday.
>
> They said I could call back this morning and see if there were any
> cancellations, or maybe they could squeeze me in. I wasn't too
> concerned because a little later she didn't seem to be squinting her
> eye anymore, however this morning she is squinting the eye again.
>
> My vet opens soon and I will be calling, but if she can't get in
> should I take her to one of our emergency 24 hour clinics? I don't
> feel it is an emergency, because otherwise she seems fine, eating,
> playing, etc .... but I am concerned about waiting until Tuesday in
> case it gets worse.
>
> Any thoughts? I think I've pretty much decided I will take her, I
> just hope they aren't upset with me for bringing in a non urgent
> patient.

If you think you should, then you should.

bookie
January 19th 08, 04:09 PM
On 19 Jan, 15:08, "
> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Yesterday I noticed my cat was squinting one of her eyes. *I opened
> her eye and noticed that the white part was a bit red. *I phoned my
> vet, but they are booked solid and can't see her until Tuesday.
>
> They said I could call back this morning and see if there were any
> cancellations, or maybe they could squeeze me in. *I wasn't too
> concerned because a little later she didn't seem to be squinting her
> eye anymore, however this morning she is squinting the eye again.
>
> My vet opens soon and I will be calling, but if she can't get in
> should I take her to one of our emergency 24 hour clinics? *I don't
> feel it is an emergency, because otherwise she seems fine, eating,
> playing, etc .... but I am concerned about waiting until Tuesday in
> case it gets worse.
>
> Any thoughts? *I think I've pretty much decided I will take her, I
> just hope they aren't upset with me for bringing in a non urgent
> patient.

yes you should take her in, they will not be upset with you, you are
not to know whether it might develop into something nasty of not
ttreated urgently, good on you for getting it looked at asap, you
would be amazed at what some people ignore in their cats and don't
take the to the vets for.

anyway, not only are you paying for the treatment but you are also
probably giving a very bored vet and nurse who are on stand by for
energencies something to do apart form clean out the recovery cages
and rearrange the flea treament shelf for the 10th time that day, why
apologise for giving them business?

hope it goes ok, let us know it is (war wound from a fight i suspect,
but best toget it checked out)

bookie

January 19th 08, 05:03 PM
My vet got her in! I called when they opened and they said bring her
right in. They did some tests on her eye, she doesn't have a
scratch. He thinks she probably got something in her eye and has a
little allergic conjunctivitis. He gave me some drops and said if
she's still squinting in a couple of days to call and they will fit
her in.

MaryL
January 20th 08, 06:18 PM
> wrote in message
> My vet got her in! I called when they opened and they said bring her
> right in. They did some tests on her eye, she doesn't have a
> scratch. He thinks she probably got something in her eye and has a
> little allergic conjunctivitis. He gave me some drops and said if
> she's still squinting in a couple of days to call and they will fit
> her in.

If I were you, I would now look around and consider changing vets (assuming
this is your regular vet and you have been using him for some time). This
was not a routine office visit for a foreseeable need. My vet will *always*
manage to see my cats in a situation like that, although I may need to sit
in the waiting room for awhile until he can "squeeze us in."

MaryL

January 20th 08, 08:42 PM
On Jan 20, 11:18*am, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
wrote:
> > wrote in message

> If I were you, I would now look around and consider changing vets (assuming
> this is your regular vet and you have been using him for some time). *This
> was not a routine office visit for a foreseeable need. *My vet will *always*
> manage to see my cats in a situation like that, although I may need to sit
> in the waiting room for awhile until he can "squeeze us in."
>
> MaryL

Not a chance. I am quite happy with the Vet, he's very good with all
my cats and is very good at explaining everything to me. They've
always gotten me in before and they still did this time. I wouldn't
consider switching over one incident after years of good service.
Anyway, the person I spoke to on the phone didn't even go to check
when I phoned on Friday, I think she may have been new since I didn't
recognize her. When I phoned Saturday and spoke to someone else she
went and checked and I was in with the vet in about 40 minutes from
hanging up the phone.

Gandalf
January 20th 08, 09:57 PM
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 12:42:48 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Jan 20, 11:18*am, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
>wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>> If I were you, I would now look around and consider changing vets (assuming
>> this is your regular vet and you have been using him for some time). *This
>> was not a routine office visit for a foreseeable need. *My vet will *always*
>> manage to see my cats in a situation like that, although I may need to sit
>> in the waiting room for awhile until he can "squeeze us in."
>>
>> MaryL
>

>Not a chance. I am quite happy with the Vet, he's very good with all
>my cats and is very good at explaining everything to me. They've
>always gotten me in before and they still did this time. I wouldn't
>consider switching over one incident after years of good service.
>Anyway, the person I spoke to on the phone didn't even go to check
>when I phoned on Friday, I think she may have been new since I didn't
>recognize her. When I phoned Saturday and spoke to someone else she
>went and checked and I was in with the vet in about 40 minutes from
>hanging up the phone.

I'm glad things worked out. Eye infections *can* be difficult to
eliminate, so seeing a vet ASAP can make a real difference.

Emergency vets are SO expensive. I'm glad you didn't have to go there.

ItsOverJohnny
January 22nd 08, 10:20 PM
On Jan 19, 1:08�pm, "
> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Yesterday I noticed my cat was squinting one of her eyes. �I opened
> her eye and noticed that the white part was a bit red. �I phoned my
> vet, but they are booked solid and can't see her until Tuesday.
>
> They said I could call back this morning and see if there were any
> cancellations, or maybe they could squeeze me in. �I wasn't too
> concerned because a little later she didn't seem to be squinting her
> eye anymore, however this morning she is squinting the eye again.
>
> My vet opens soon and I will be calling, but if she can't get in
> should I take her to one of our emergency 24 hour clinics? �I don't
> feel it is an emergency, because otherwise she seems fine, eating,
> playing, etc .... but I am concerned about waiting until Tuesday in
> case it gets worse.
>
> Any thoughts? �I think I've pretty much decided I will take her, I
> just hope they aren't upset with me for bringing in a non urgent
> patient.

I wouldnt run her to the emergency, just wait for the vet appointment.
Eye problems happen with cats and dogs all the time, they are common,
you will probably have to put some kind of drops in her eyes until the
redness and/or swelling goes away. Its nothing dangerous so dont
worry.