PDA

View Full Version : Hello. I need advice please

CHARLOTTE MOORE
January 25th 08, 09:41 PM
Does anyone know what home remedy I can give my cat for UTI? I can't
afford to take him to the vet right now. I wonder if cranberry juice
would help? He is 2 yr old and neutered last year, he weighs about 7#.

Rene S.
January 25th 08, 10:29 PM
On Jan 25, 2:41*pm, (CHARLOTTE MOORE) wrote:
> * Does anyone know what home remedy I can give my cat for UTI? I can't
> afford to take him to the vet right now. I wonder if cranberry juice
> would help? He is 2 yr old and neutered last year, he weighs about 7#.
>
> Norbert's Sig Maker

I'm sorry you are in this situation, but I don't know of any home
remedy for UTI. If your cat is block and unable to urinate, he could
become seriously ill and even die. Can you talk to your vet about
making payments or call a local shelter that offers low-cost
treatment?

Rene

bobblespin[_2_]
January 26th 08, 12:40 AM
"Rene S." > wrote in news:d8f5fe9f-fd14-448f-9957-
:

> On Jan 25, 2:41*pm, (CHARLOTTE MOORE) wrote:
>> * Does anyone know what home remedy I can give my cat for UTI? I can't
>> afford to take him to the vet right now. I wonder if cranberry juice
>> would help? He is 2 yr old and neutered last year, he weighs about 7#.
>>
>> Norbert's Sig Maker
>
> I'm sorry you are in this situation, but I don't know of any home
> remedy for UTI. If your cat is blocked and unable to urinate, he could
> become seriously ill and even die. Can you talk to your vet about
> making payments or call a local shelter that offers low-cost
> treatment?
>
> Rene

Not only that but it is extremely painful for the cat (in humans it feels
like you're peeing razor blades). I'm afraid you MUST take him to the vet
without delay to save him from pain, and death. He needs antibiotics, not
cranberry juice. Most vets are caring and will accept a payment plan.

Bobble

mc
January 26th 08, 02:10 AM
Unfortunately, I cannot advocate for the cranberry juice. We are sort
of in the same boat. I just lost my job but our beloved cat Max
developed a Urinary Tract Infection.

What timing! But Max is more like a family member than just a cat. I
really, truly feel for your situation. Been there! Believe me!

There is help! My neighbor took in a stray and decided to keep the
cat. She was able to get some sort of assistance (because the cat
ended up with a UTI) so that all the vet bills were covered for her.
She paid a total of out-of-the-pocket expense of $35.00!

I think it is really unfair to expect the Vets office to work free of
charge, so thank goodness if you can find some help!

So, if you love the cat, if it is worth it to you, you will figure out
a solution.

My Max developed a UTI in December and we got him into the Vets
office... he took the anti-biotics well, but less than a month later I
had to bring him back to the vet because I could see he was having
trouble eliminating again. Poor baby! The Vet said it was fortunate
that I got him in on time because usually by the time he sees the cats
with this issue they are really, really sick! Max then developed a
blockage. You would never guess that Max was sick except that he was
trying to eliminate in places in the house other than his litter box
(not the norm for this lap cat)!

Max is now on a special diet to prevent future blockages. He is very
special to me so I will have to do what I have to do. It kills me that
Vets charge so much these days. It is cheaper to have a Vet come out
and look at my horses than it is for them to look at my cat! Something
is wrong with that picture, but at the same time... the Vet can't work
for free!!! That is for sure!

The thing that you need to figure out is what you CAN afford at this
time and then how to go about getting the help you need (both for the
health care of the cat and the bills that go along with the health
care).

There is assistance out there. I wish I could point you at least in
the right direction, but there is help out there. People who care for
animals who know that many cats go without good homes... they are
often willing to help.

Please know that my thoughts are with you and your cat. Only you know
what your financial situation is at this time. My Vet was willing to
work with me. I was lucky. Not all "good vets" are willing to do that
because it opens the door to many deadbeats. It is wrong for people to
say "good vets" will work with you. Not all good vets are willing to
do so because they have been duped. Animal lovers are not always the
most responsible of people.

So, my heartfelt wishes go with you. I hope things turn out well for
you. A UTI can be a very serious condition and can cause the death of
your cat.

Hope all works out for you.

---MIKE---
January 26th 08, 02:20 AM
I agree with the other posters that only a vet can save your cat. DON'T
DELAY.

If you post again, please be advised that this a text only group.
Please turn off your HTML.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

IBen Getiner[_2_]
January 26th 08, 10:05 AM
On Jan 25, 3:41*pm, (CHARLOTTE MOORE) wrote:
> * Does anyone know what home remedy I can give my cat for UTI? I can't
> afford to take him to the vet right now. I wonder if cranberry juice
> would help? He is 2 yr old and neutered last year, he weighs about 7#.
>
> Norbert's Sig Maker

Take cat to vet. No excuses. If you don't, you will be turned in to
the proper authorities.

IBen G.

mc
January 26th 08, 05:51 PM
Does anyone REALLY believe that threatening Charlotte is going to
help?

IBen G. Who do you think is going to turn her into the authorities???
Her neighbors? Her family? Who is going to do this???

Charlotte posted here for some advice. Lets try to help her.

I have been in animal rescue for years. I have seen much worse than
this womans plight. If you can give this person some GOOD ADVICE, the
cats suffering might get better. Threatening... What does that
accomplish?

I wish I could tell you where to go. I don't have the answers for you,
I don't even know where you live. Try the animal shelter or the humane
society. If you can find someone in these places they may be able to
offer some help. You may have to spend some time on the phone to
research. The important thing is that you talk to people. You might
even want to post on Craigslist.com and see if someone in your area
can help.

I was reading a book last night called "The Well Cat Book" written by
Terri McGinnis. I was reading about UTI's in cats because we are going
through this with our cat Max right now, too. I read with interest
about how this veterinarian actually tells how you can unblock the
uretha of the cat on your own. She clearly states in the book, that
you can do it in an emergency, but you still MUST get your cat to a
Veterinarian as soon as possible because the cat will most likely need
anti-biotics and a special diet, and because, essentially, normally
when cats have this issue there will be a recurrence and the problem
can be due to many factors.

blkcatgal
January 26th 08, 08:13 PM
mc,
Just ignore IBen G's posts. Most people here do.

The best advice has already been given to Charlotte. She needs to get her
cat to a vet somehow. I wouldn't mess with home remedies. As you
suggested, try the humane society. They usually offer care at a cheaper
rate than some vets. See if the vet will consider a payment plan. But the
cat really needs to be seen by a vet.

S.
---

And as far as helping Charlotte,
"mc" > wrote in message
> Does anyone REALLY believe that threatening Charlotte is going to
> help?
>
> IBen G. Who do you think is going to turn her into the authorities???
> Her neighbors? Her family? Who is going to do this???
>
> Charlotte posted here for some advice. Lets try to help her.
>
> I have been in animal rescue for years. I have seen much worse than
> this womans plight. If you can give this person some GOOD ADVICE, the
> cats suffering might get better. Threatening... What does that
> accomplish?
>
> I wish I could tell you where to go. I don't have the answers for you,
> I don't even know where you live. Try the animal shelter or the humane
> society. If you can find someone in these places they may be able to
> offer some help. You may have to spend some time on the phone to
> research. The important thing is that you talk to people. You might
> even want to post on Craigslist.com and see if someone in your area
> can help.
>
> I was reading a book last night called "The Well Cat Book" written by
> Terri McGinnis. I was reading about UTI's in cats because we are going
> through this with our cat Max right now, too. I read with interest
> about how this veterinarian actually tells how you can unblock the
> uretha of the cat on your own. She clearly states in the book, that
> you can do it in an emergency, but you still MUST get your cat to a
> Veterinarian as soon as possible because the cat will most likely need
> anti-biotics and a special diet, and because, essentially, normally
> when cats have this issue there will be a recurrence and the problem
> can be due to many factors.

dejablues[_2_]
January 26th 08, 08:41 PM
"mc" > wrote in message
> Unfortunately, I cannot advocate for the cranberry juice. We are sort
> of in the same boat. I just lost my job but our beloved cat Max
> developed a Urinary Tract Infection.
>
> What timing! But Max is more like a family member than just a cat. I
> really, truly feel for your situation. Been there! Believe me!
>
> There is help! My neighbor took in a stray and decided to keep the
> cat. She was able to get some sort of assistance (because the cat
> ended up with a UTI) so that all the vet bills were covered for her.
> She paid a total of out-of-the-pocket expense of $35.00!
>
> I think it is really unfair to expect the Vets office to work free of
> charge, so thank goodness if you can find some help!
>
> So, if you love the cat, if it is worth it to you, you will figure out
> a solution.
>
> My Max developed a UTI in December and we got him into the Vets
> office... he took the anti-biotics well, but less than a month later I
> had to bring him back to the vet because I could see he was having
> trouble eliminating again. Poor baby! The Vet said it was fortunate
> that I got him in on time because usually by the time he sees the cats
> with this issue they are really, really sick! Max then developed a
> blockage. You would never guess that Max was sick except that he was
> trying to eliminate in places in the house other than his litter box
> (not the norm for this lap cat)!
>
> Max is now on a special diet to prevent future blockages. He is very
> special to me so I will have to do what I have to do. It kills me that
> Vets charge so much these days. It is cheaper to have a Vet come out
> and look at my horses than it is for them to look at my cat! Something
> is wrong with that picture, but at the same time... the Vet can't work
> for free!!! That is for sure!
>
> The thing that you need to figure out is what you CAN afford at this
> time and then how to go about getting the help you need (both for the
> health care of the cat and the bills that go along with the health
> care).
>
> There is assistance out there. I wish I could point you at least in
> the right direction, but there is help out there. People who care for
> animals who know that many cats go without good homes... they are
> often willing to help.
>
> Please know that my thoughts are with you and your cat. Only you know
> what your financial situation is at this time. My Vet was willing to
> work with me. I was lucky. Not all "good vets" are willing to do that
> because it opens the door to many deadbeats. It is wrong for people to
> say "good vets" will work with you. Not all good vets are willing to
> do so because they have been duped. Animal lovers are not always the
> most responsible of people.
>
> So, my heartfelt wishes go with you. I hope things turn out well for
> you. A UTI can be a very serious condition and can cause the death of
> your cat.
>
> Hope all works out for you.

Our cat Biddle developed a blockage last weekend, after displaying the same
symptoms you described, plus passing blood when he couldmn't pee. One
emergency visit, a shot of diazepam (whee! loopy cat!) and some special cat
food cost me 92 bucks. That put off the neutering of our newest kitten for
another week.

Yep, you do what you have to do!

mc
January 26th 08, 10:52 PM
Agreed... you have to do what you have to do.

Thanks blkcatgal for the heads up.

Phil P.
January 27th 08, 02:25 AM
On Jan 25, 2:41 pm, (CHARLOTTE MOORE) wrote:
> Does anyone know what home remedy I can give my cat for UTI? I can't
> afford to take him to the vet right now. I wonder if cranberry juice
> would help? He is 2 yr old and neutered last year, he weighs about 7#.

If your cat is dysplaying *any* signs of a urinary tract problem, he must be
examined by a vet immediately- if not sooner. Male cats are susceptible to
urinary track blockages that can quickly result in acute renal failure and
death.

Take your cat to a vet *now* --worry about paying later.

Phil