PDA

View Full Version : Antihistamines for a cat?


Rhonda[_3_]
January 26th 08, 06:24 AM
We were told by a vet to use Benedryl, half of an adult tablet, for our
cat's itchiness. Has anyone tried that? He would not eat it in food, and
simply frothed at the mouth and coughed it up every time we tried to
pill him. It must be horrible.

Anyone tried any other antihistamines? Of course, our regular vet is on
vacation this week.

Thanks,

Rhonda

---MIKE---
January 26th 08, 12:48 PM
Ask your vet about liquid Benedril. A squirt with an eye dropper might
work.


---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Spot[_2_]
January 26th 08, 02:50 PM
You can buy liquid benedryl at walmart and purchase a syringe from the
pharmacy there to dose the cat with.

Celeste

"---MIKE---" > wrote in message
...
Ask your vet about liquid Benedril. A squirt with an eye dropper might
work.


---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

cybercat
January 26th 08, 04:14 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
...
> We were told by a vet to use Benedryl, half of an adult tablet, for our
> cat's itchiness. Has anyone tried that? He would not eat it in food, and
> simply frothed at the mouth and coughed it up every time we tried to pill
> him. It must be horrible.
>

My vet said chlortimeton, same dosage, half a tab (a tab is
4 mgs, so that is 2 mgs) twice a day.

Who can tell if it works, since it takes the cats from sleeping
14 hours a day to 20 hours a day? :)

I give it to Gracie every now and then when her congestion
sounds bad and/or she is itching and it is too soon for a Depo
shot.

cybercat
January 26th 08, 04:18 PM
"Spot" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> You can buy liquid benedryl at walmart and purchase a syringe from the
> pharmacy there to dose the cat with.
>

And it will knock your cat out worse than chlortrimeton. he won't be awake
for long enough to scratch.

---MIKE---
January 26th 08, 06:13 PM
>>Ask your vet about liquid Benedryl. A
>> squirt with an eye dropper might work.

I suggested asking the vet so you would know how much of the liquid to
give.


---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

mlbriggs
January 26th 08, 10:52 PM
On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 06:24:17 +0000, Rhonda wrote:

> We were told by a vet to use Benedryl, half of an adult tablet, for our
> cat's itchiness. Has anyone tried that? He would not eat it in food, and
> simply frothed at the mouth and coughed it up every time we tried to pill
> him. It must be horrible.
>
> Anyone tried any other antihistamines? Of course, our regular vet is on
> vacation this week.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rhonda


Half of an adult tablet would knock me out. Be very careful. Research
the internet to see if you can find out more about dosage for animals.

Rhonda[_3_]
January 28th 08, 04:53 AM
cybercat wrote:
>
> My vet said chlortimeton, same dosage, half a tab (a tab is
> 4 mgs, so that is 2 mgs) twice a day.
>
> Who can tell if it works, since it takes the cats from sleeping
> 14 hours a day to 20 hours a day? :)
>
> I give it to Gracie every now and then when her congestion
> sounds bad and/or she is itching and it is too soon for a Depo
> shot.

Thanks for the info, everyone.

CC, I'm trying the chlorimeton. He found that in the food, too. I didn't
try to pill him this time around, I mixed it with water and syringed it
in. He started gagging, but it stayed down. I didn't know he was such a
sensitive boy.

Thanks again,

Rhonda