PDA

View Full Version : A different question about cat bowls.

Dave Whiley
January 26th 08, 03:08 PM
A slightly different question about bowls.

Whilst doing the regular litter run, I saw that the pet shop was selling "U"
shaped bowls with no (or at least very shallow) sides. The notice beside
them claimed that the "stop whiskers touching the bowl!" (their exclamation
mark, not mine.)

Every cat I've ever seen eat seems to have no hesitation at all in sticking
their face straight in the bowl, with no sign of any concern about whether
their whiskers touch the sides or not. So, is this a problem for some cats?
Or has some canny manufacturer come up with a cure for which there is no
known disease?

--
Dave

not-me should be djw401 and there's no need for any wossname

cybercat
January 26th 08, 04:17 PM
"Dave Whiley" > wrote in message
>A slightly different question about bowls.
>
> Whilst doing the regular litter run, I saw that the pet shop was selling
> "U" shaped bowls with no (or at least very shallow) sides. The notice
> beside them claimed that the "stop whiskers touching the bowl!" (their
> exclamation mark, not mine.)
>
> Every cat I've ever seen eat seems to have no hesitation at all in
> sticking their face straight in the bowl, with no sign of any concern
> about whether their whiskers touch the sides or not. So, is this a
> problem for some cats? Or has some canny manufacturer come up with a cure
> for which there is no known disease?

Wet food is best served on a flat saucer. If you need a deep bowl I assume
you feed dry? I do too, now, as they will not eat enough of the canned food.
They just like dry better.

As for sticking their faces in bowls, I don't know, but it seems mine prefer
not to. Still, they WILL if it is tuna or something they like, and will work
at
it.

I do notice that Gracie licks water off the edge of the bowl, kind of
"backwards," it is hard to describe.

mlbriggs
January 26th 08, 06:15 PM
On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 11:17:14 -0500, cybercat wrote:

> "Dave Whiley" > wrote in message
>>A slightly different question about bowls.
>>
>> Whilst doing the regular litter run, I saw that the pet shop was selling
>> "U" shaped bowls with no (or at least very shallow) sides. The notice
>> beside them claimed that the "stop whiskers touching the bowl!" (their
>> exclamation mark, not mine.)
>>
>> Every cat I've ever seen eat seems to have no hesitation at all in
>> sticking their face straight in the bowl, with no sign of any concern
>> about whether their whiskers touch the sides or not. So, is this a
>> problem for some cats? Or has some canny manufacturer come up with a
>> cure for which there is no known disease?
>>

> Wet food is best served on a flat saucer. If you need a deep bowl I assume
> you feed dry? I do too, now, as they will not eat enough of the canned
> food. They just like dry better.
>
> As for sticking their faces in bowls, I don't know, but it seems mine
> prefer not to. Still, they WILL if it is tuna or something they like, and
> will work at
> it.
>
> I do notice that Gracie licks water off the edge of the bowl, kind of
> "backwards," it is hard to describe.

TuTu laps the water from the opposite side too. MLB

cybercat
January 26th 08, 07:20 PM
"mlbriggs" > wrote
>> I do notice that Gracie licks water off the edge of the bowl, kind of
>> "backwards," it is hard to describe.
>

> TuTu laps the water from the opposite side too. MLB

Yeah, that's what I meant! From the opposite side of the bowl,
but also, it almost looks like she is scooping it up with the underside of
her curled tongue. Odd little beasties, ain't they? :)

When I went away for Christmas, I asked my husband to PLEASE
change all three water bowls twice a day, but in case he didn't, I set
up one of those automatic ones, that is like a jug turned over onto
a dish, and as the level goes down in the dish, the water glugs out.
I kind of tucked it away near a place where she loves to sit in the
window. She loves it, and drinks mostly from it. It ran out and I heard
her pawing at the tank, trying to get it to glugglug. It's like, they like
to think they are getting away with something. So cute. I've noticed
bigger pee balls in the litter box, so she is drinking more. that's a good
thing, to a point.

mlbriggs
January 26th 08, 07:59 PM
On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 14:20:09 -0500, cybercat wrote:

> "mlbriggs" > wrote
>>> I do notice that Gracie licks water off the edge of the bowl, kind of
>>> "backwards," it is hard to describe.
>>

>> TuTu laps the water from the opposite side too. MLB
>>

> Yeah, that's what I meant! From the opposite side of the bowl, but also,
> it almost looks like she is scooping it up with the underside of her
> curled tongue. Odd little beasties, ain't they? :)
>
> When I went away for Christmas, I asked my husband to PLEASE change all
> three water bowls twice a day, but in case he didn't, I set up one of
> those automatic ones, that is like a jug turned over onto a dish, and as
> the level goes down in the dish, the water glugs out. I kind of tucked it
> away near a place where she loves to sit in the window. She loves it, and
> drinks mostly from it. It ran out and I heard her pawing at the tank,
> trying to get it to glugglug. It's like, they like to think they are
> getting away with something. So cute. I've noticed bigger pee balls in the
> litter box, so she is drinking more. that's a good thing, to a point.

when I used the first fountain with a reservoir, TuTu kept prying the
lid off the tank and drinking (or trying to) drink from there. I now
leave a large pan of fresh water in the shower stall and a tub of water in
the bathtub. She doesn't jump well anymore, so I discontinued use of the
fountain which had to be on the bathroom counter top.

Dave Whiley
January 27th 08, 04:54 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> Wet food is best served on a flat saucer. If you need a deep bowl I assume
> you feed dry? I do too, now, as they will not eat enough of the canned
> food.
> They just like dry better.

Mostly wet, and they have a variety of bowls (more dishes really), and I
wouldn't say any were especially deep. I'm not going to mesasure them,
though, as they have a very good line in contemptuous "look what the stupid
human is doing now" looks!

--
Dave

not-me should be djw401 and there's no need for any wossname

Sheelagh>\o\
January 28th 08, 06:57 PM
On Jan 26, 3:08*pm, "Dave Whiley" <[email protected]
whiley.WOSSNAMEfreeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> A slightly different question about bowls.
>
> Whilst doing the regular litter run, I saw that the pet shop was selling "U"
> shaped bowls with no (or at least very shallow) sides. *The notice beside
> them claimed that the "stop whiskers touching the bowl!" (their exclamation
> mark, not mine.)
>
> Every cat I've ever seen eat seems to have no hesitation at all in sticking
> their face straight in the bowl, with no sign of any concern about whether
> their whiskers touch the sides or not. *So, is this a problem for some cats?
> Or has some canny manufacturer come up with a cure for which there is no
> known disease?
>
> --
> Dave
>
> not-me should be djw401 and there's no need for any wossname

I have been reading all about this very subject in a current cat
magazine. The reasoning around the new shaped bowls is because a cat
uses it's whiskers to judge size & relativity (ie: if the whiskers fit
through, then their whole body will too.)

Have you ever noticed a cat pick their food out of a bowl & dump it
straight on the floor where they happily tuck into it, until they need
another piece? It's because they don't like putting their faces into
an opening that their whisker's won't fit in to, so that's why they
pick it out with their mouth or paws, & then eat it off the mat, or
the floor. It might seem silly to us, but it does make perfect sense
to them.

Of course, manufacturers cash in this discovery & we tend to follow
the trend, if we believe it helps our cat's I guess?
Sheelagh>"o"<

Dave Whiley
January 28th 08, 09:26 PM
"Sheelagh>"o"<" > wrote in message
On Jan 26, 3:08 pm, "Dave Whiley" <[email protected]
whiley.WOSSNAMEfreeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>> A slightly different question about bowls.

> I have been reading all about this very subject in a current cat
> magazine. The reasoning around the new shaped bowls is because a cat
> uses it's whiskers to judge size & relativity (ie: if the whiskers fit
> through, then their whole body will too.)

> Have you ever noticed a cat pick their food out of a bowl & dump it
> straight on the floor where they happily tuck into it, until they need
> another piece? It's because they don't like putting their faces into
> an opening that their whisker's won't fit in to, so that's why they
> pick it out with their mouth or paws, & then eat it off the mat, or
> the floor. It might seem silly to us, but it does make perfect sense
> to them.

> Of course, manufacturers cash in this discovery & we tend to follow
> the trend, if we believe it helps our cat's I guess?

> Sheelagh>"o"<

Hmm.

I can't say I've seen either Smokey or Fliss doing this (although Smokey
does sometimes use a paw to pull food from one side of the dish to the
other). Cally would bring food into the dining room and eat it off the
floor there, but we always figured that was because she thought that if we
ate there, that's where she should eat too.

Perhaps it's time for some consumer trials.

BTW, when it comes to trying to squeeze into narrow spaces, Fliss is a law
unto herself...

http://www.pbase.com/djw_photo_42/image/61494192

--
Dave

not-me should be djw401 and there's no need for any wossname

Sheelagh>\o\
January 29th 08, 03:10 PM
On Jan 28, 9:26*pm, "Dave Whiley" <[email protected]
whiley.WOSSNAMEfreeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> "Sheelagh>"o"<" > wrote in message

> On Jan 26, 3:08 pm, "Dave Whiley" <[email protected]
>

> whiley.WOSSNAMEfreeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> >> A slightly different question about bowls.
> > I have been reading all about this very subject in a current cat
> > magazine. The reasoning around the new shaped bowls is because a cat
> > uses it's whiskers to judge size & relativity (ie: if the whiskers fit
> > through, then their whole body will too.)
> > Have you ever noticed a cat pick their food out of a bowl & dump it
> > straight on the floor where they happily tuck into it, until they need
> > another piece? It's because they don't like putting their faces into
> > an opening that their whisker's won't fit in to, so that's why they
> > pick it out with their mouth or paws, & then eat it off the mat, or
> > the floor. It might seem silly to us, but it does make perfect sense
> > to them.
> > Of course, manufacturers cash in this discovery & we tend to follow
> > the trend, if we believe it helps our cat's I guess?
> > Sheelagh>"o"<
>
> Hmm.
>
> I can't say I've seen either Smokey or Fliss doing this (although Smokey
> does sometimes use a paw to pull food from one side of the dish to the
> other). *Cally would bring food into the dining room and eat it off the
> floor there, but we always figured that was because she thought that if we
> ate there, that's where she should eat too.
>
> Perhaps it's time for some consumer trials.
>
> BTW, when it comes to trying to squeeze into narrow spaces, Fliss is a law
> unto herself...
>
> http://www.pbase.com/djw_photo_42/image/61494192
>
> --
> Dave
>
> not-me should be djw401 and there's no need for any wossname- Hide quoted text -

What a lovely photo :o)
Thanks for sharing that one Dave.

Not sure where you live, but if you are in UK & you order food from
Royal canin, they are handing out these new bowls to anyone who orders
food direct from them. I have a few of them here, & they do seem to
prefer them to the old round ones. Having said that, I'm not all that
excited about the fact that they are made out of plastic. I would
prefer to have a metal bowl & pay them if I'm honest.

I got the information from Royal Canin & there was a spread about it
in a magazine that we get over here, called, "your cat".(December, or
January's issue I believe.)

See what you think, & let me know what you think of them?
TIA,
Sheelagh >"o"<