PDA

View Full Version : Cats With Colds

Puss The Bounty Hunter
January 28th 08, 01:35 PM
What to do with a cat who is sick with a cold, but can't get to a
doctor right away.

I know you can't give them certain kinds of pain relievers, but I
don't know what is best to buy OTC.

Can anyone help?

Puss is miserable.

Puss The Bounty Hunter
January 28th 08, 04:56 PM
On Jan 28, 11:34 am, "Matthew" > wrote:
> "Puss The Bounty Hunter" > wrote in ...
>
> > What to do with a cat who is sick with a cold, but can't get to a
> > doctor right away.
>
> > I know you can't give them certain kinds of pain relievers, but I
> > don't know what is best to buy OTC.
>
> > Can anyone help?
>
> > Puss is miserable.
>
> I am sorry but unless a vet tells you to give them anything YOU DON'T.
> You can seriously hurt the furball if you self treat
>
> Also are you sure it is a cold and not something else?

No, I'm not sure of anything except that she has allergies. She is
sneezing and wheezing and miserable is all I know. I talked to my
(human) doctor a minute ago and he told me to give her benedryl. If
you think that's unsafe, I will call the vet. She was just seen a
couple of weeks ago, and I can't afford to take her back right now. I
just want to relieve her misery as much as I can.

Puss The Bounty Hunter
January 28th 08, 05:23 PM
On Jan 28, 12:11 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
> "Puss The Bounty Hunter" > wrote in ...
>

> > On Jan 28, 11:34 am, "Matthew" > wrote:
> >> "Puss The Bounty Hunter" > wrote in ...

> >> I am sorry but unless a vet tells you to give them anything YOU DON'T.
> >> You can seriously hurt the furball if you self treat
>
> >> Also are you sure it is a cold and not something else?
>
> > No, I'm not sure of anything except that she has allergies. She is
> > sneezing and wheezing and miserable is all I know. I talked to my
> > (human) doctor a minute ago and he told me to give her benedryl. If
> > you think that's unsafe, I will call the vet. She was just seen a
> > couple of weeks ago, and I can't afford to take her back right now. I
> > just want to relieve her misery as much as I can.
>
> Human doctor does not dosage that is why he is a human doctor. ;-)
>
> You can call your vet and ask advice for free. SInce you were just there not to long ago. My personal vet I can call and ask any question
>
> YOUR vet will tell you the proper amount of benedryl to use.
>
> Please call your vet first
>
> the doasge should be half an adult tablet maybe twice a day but this will knock your cat out
> chlortimeton, same dosage, half a tab (a tab is 4 mgs, so that is 2 mgs) twice a day.

Thanks. Her congestion is seriously bad right now. I will call the
vet. I am very worried about her.

Puss The Bounty Hunter
January 28th 08, 05:52 PM
On Jan 28, 12:33 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
> "Puss The Bounty Hunter" > wrote in ...
>

> > On Jan 28, 12:11 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
> >> "Puss The Bounty Hunter" > wrote in

> >> Human doctor does not dosage that is why he is a human doctor. ;-)
>
> >> You can call your vet and ask advice for free. SInce you were just there
> >> not to long ago. My personal vet I can call and ask any question
>
> >> YOUR vet will tell you the proper amount of benedryl to use.
>
> >> Please call your vet first
>
> >> the doasge should be half an adult tablet maybe twice a day but this
> >> will knock your cat out
> >> chlortimeton, same dosage, half a tab (a tab is 4 mgs, so that is 2 mgs)
> >> twice a day.
>
> > Thanks. Her congestion is seriously bad right now. I will call the
> > vet. I am very worried about her.
>
> Lets us know if we can help with anything else?
> medications and cats are one thing never to mess with you will never
> forgive yourself if anything happened

Okay, I'm waiting on the vet to call me back.

She's so sick she won't eat her tuna fish. Does that tell you
anything?

Spot[_2_]
January 28th 08, 10:09 PM
This sound more like an upper respitory infection and she need seen by a vet
to be treated. Allergies do not make them get that congested.

Celeste

"Puss The Bounty Hunter" > wrote in message
> On Jan 28, 12:11 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:

>> > No, I'm not sure of anything except that she has allergies. She is
>> > sneezing and wheezing and miserable is all I know. I talked to my
>> > (human) doctor a minute ago and he told me to give her benedryl. If
>> > you think that's unsafe, I will call the vet. She was just seen a
>> > couple of weeks ago, and I can't afford to take her back right now. I
>> > just want to relieve her misery as much as I can.
>>
>> Human doctor does not dosage that is why he is a human doctor. ;-)
>>
>> You can call your vet and ask advice for free. SInce you were just there
>> not to long ago. My personal vet I can call and ask any question
>>
>> YOUR vet will tell you the proper amount of benedryl to use.
>>
>> Please call your vet first
>>
>> the doasge should be half an adult tablet maybe twice a day but this
>> will knock your cat out
>> chlortimeton, same dosage, half a tab (a tab is 4 mgs, so that is 2 mgs)
>> twice a day.
>
> Thanks. Her congestion is seriously bad right now. I will call the
> vet. I am very worried about her.

Puss The Bounty Hunter
January 29th 08, 12:04 AM
On Jan 28, 5:09 pm, "Spot" > wrote:
> This sound more like an upper respitory infection and she need seen by a vet
> to be treated. Allergies do not make them get that congested.
>
> Celeste
>
> "Puss The Bounty Hunter" > wrote in ...
>
> > On Jan 28, 12:11 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
> >> "Puss The Bounty Hunter" > wrote in

> >> Human doctor does not dosage that is why he is a human doctor. ;-)
>
> >> You can call your vet and ask advice for free. SInce you were just there
> >> not to long ago. My personal vet I can call and ask any question
>
> >> YOUR vet will tell you the proper amount of benedryl to use.
>
> >> Please call your vet first
>
> >> the doasge should be half an adult tablet maybe twice a day but this
> >> will knock your cat out
> >> chlortimeton, same dosage, half a tab (a tab is 4 mgs, so that is 2 mgs)
> >> twice a day.
>
> > Thanks. Her congestion is seriously bad right now. I will call the
> > vet. I am very worried about her.

She's going to the vet tomorrow. He told me that I can give her the
antihistamine, but she is gagging up entirely too much "ook" for me
not to worry. I think she needs to be seen.

Thanks, all.

Me & Puss

cybercat
January 29th 08, 01:23 AM
"Puss The Bounty Hunter" > wrote
> She's going to the vet tomorrow. He told me that I can give her the
> antihistamine, but she is gagging up entirely too much "ook" for me
> not to worry. I think she needs to be seen.

Smart move.

Wendy
January 29th 08, 01:36 PM
"Puss The Bounty Hunter" > wrote in message
> On Jan 28, 5:09 pm, "Spot" > wrote:
>> This sound more like an upper respitory infection and she need seen by a
>> vet
>> to be treated. Allergies do not make them get that congested.
>>
>> Celeste

>> > Thanks. Her congestion is seriously bad right now. I will call the
>> > vet. I am very worried about her.
>
> She's going to the vet tomorrow. He told me that I can give her the
> antihistamine, but she is gagging up entirely too much "ook" for me
> not to worry. I think she needs to be seen.
>
> Thanks, all.
>
> Me & Puss

Sorry about the 90 days after the rain advice. You can also put her in a
steamed up bathroom and see if that helps with the congestion. I used to run
a cool mist humidifier for some of my fosters when they got bad URIs. That
of course was in addition to a visit to the vet for appropriate meds. The
concern is that if the cat can't smell it won't eat. Heat up some smelly wet
food or baby food (read the label and make sure it doesn't contain onions)
as was already suggested. If the cat isn't eating much you can pick up some
nutrical at a local pet store and add that to the wet food.

Good luck with the kitty.

Wendy

CatNipped[_2_]
January 29th 08, 01:55 PM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On Mon 28 Jan 2008 07:04:05p, Puss The Bounty Hunter wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>
> .com>:
>
>> She's going to the vet tomorrow. He told me that I can give her
>> the antihistamine, but she is gagging up entirely too much "ook"
>> for me not to worry. I think she needs to be seen.
>
> In the meantime, see if you can get at least some food into her.
> If you can get some baby food (all meat, no onions as they are
> toxic to cats) and see if she'll lick it off your finger or a
> spoon. Warm it just a tiny bit so the smell is stronger. If she
> won't lick it, you can wipe it on the inside of her mouth so
> she'll swallow it. If you don't have access to baby food, you can
> try blending some tuna, or cooked chicken, or even some chicken
> broth without salt or other additives.
>
> Good luck. I have dealt with this so much with my youngest two
> when they were small and they didn't want to eat when they
> couldn't smell it.
>
> --
> Cheryl

Archer and Ozzy had problems with URIs (Feline Herpes Virus, or FHV) when
they were small too. Their eyes were all goopy with pus, their noses were
constantly running and they were sneezing every few minutes. Besides
antibiotics from the vet for any secondary infection, I took the advice of
the fosterer I got them from and gave them L-Lysine. This worked absolute
wonders on them. It took a while to take effect completely (about 2 weeks),
but once the goopy eyes and runny noses were gone they never got it again.
I keep all 5 of my cats on a maintenance dose now (the virus is still "live"
even in remission and the L-Lysine helps keep it from being transmitted to
my older cats). I crush 1/2 500mg tablet into each 3oz can of food twice a
day (my 5 cats eat 4 3oz cans of Fancy Feast twice a day) and their eyes are
always clear and healthy now
(http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Ozzy2/100_1195.jpg).

Hugs,

CatNipped

honeybunch
January 29th 08, 08:10 PM
On Jan 29, 8:55 am, "CatNipped" > wrote:
> "Cheryl" > wrote in message

> > On Mon 28 Jan 2008 07:04:05p, Puss The Bounty Hunter wrote in
> > rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> >
> > .com>:
>
> >> She's going to the vet tomorrow. He told me that I can give her
> >> the antihistamine, but she is gagging up entirely too much "ook"
> >> for me not to worry. I think she needs to be seen.
>
> > In the meantime, see if you can get at least some food into her.
> > If you can get some baby food (all meat, no onions as they are
> > toxic to cats) and see if she'll lick it off your finger or a
> > spoon. Warm it just a tiny bit so the smell is stronger. If she
> > won't lick it, you can wipe it on the inside of her mouth so
> > she'll swallow it. If you don't have access to baby food, you can
> > try blending some tuna, or cooked chicken, or even some chicken
> > broth without salt or other additives.
>
> > Good luck. I have dealt with this so much with my youngest two
> > when they were small and they didn't want to eat when they
> > couldn't smell it.
>
> > --
> > Cheryl
>
> Archer and Ozzy had problems with URIs (Feline Herpes Virus, or FHV) when
> they were small too. Their eyes were all goopy with pus, their noses were
> constantly running and they were sneezing every few minutes. Besides
> antibiotics from the vet for any secondary infection, I took the advice of
> the fosterer I got them from and gave them L-Lysine. This worked absolute
> wonders on them. It took a while to take effect completely (about 2 weeks),
> but once the goopy eyes and runny noses were gone they never got it again.
> I keep all 5 of my cats on a maintenance dose now (the virus is still "live"
> even in remission and the L-Lysine helps keep it from being transmitted to
> my older cats). I crush 1/2 500mg tablet into each 3oz can of food twice a
> day (my 5 cats eat 4 3oz cans of Fancy Feast twice a day) and their eyes are
> always clear and healthy now
> (http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Ozzy2/100_1195.jpg).
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

Do not give that sick cat cognac.

CatNipped[_2_]
January 30th 08, 02:06 PM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On Tue 29 Jan 2008 08:55:09a, CatNipped wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> >:
>
>> Archer and Ozzy had problems with URIs (Feline Herpes Virus, or
>> FHV) when they were small too. Their eyes were all goopy with
>> pus, their noses were constantly running and they were sneezing
>> every few minutes. Besides antibiotics from the vet for any
>> secondary infection, I took the advice of the fosterer I got
>> them from and gave them L-Lysine. This worked absolute wonders
>> on them. It took a while to take effect completely (about 2
>> weeks), but once the goopy eyes and runny noses were gone they
>> never got it again. I keep all 5 of my cats on a maintenance
>> dose now (the virus is still "live" even in remission and the
>> L-Lysine helps keep it from being transmitted to my older cats).
>> I crush 1/2 500mg tablet into each 3oz can of food twice a day
>> (my 5 cats eat 4 3oz cans of Fancy Feast twice a day) and their
>> eyes are always clear and healthy now
>> (http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Ozzy2/100_1195.jpg).
>
> Scarlett had the worst time as a kitten and even had her spay
> delayed a couple of times due to illness. I too used/use L-lysine
> for her. I can't find it in capsule form any more, so if you know
> where it can be found, I'd appreciate it.

Amazon.com sells this: "Enisyl-F (L-Lysine) Nutritional Supplement for Cats,
Metered Dose Pump 100 mL, 3 Pack" -
http://www.amazon.com/Enisyl-F-L-Lysine-Nutritional-Supplement-Metered/dp/B0012GXMWY.
But it's $45.98 plus S&H. I just buy the generic tablets and cut them in
two with a pill splitter then grind them up in the grinding compartment.
You can get a pill splitter at any drug store or on Amazon.com for a few
bucks:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_k/104-0579750-4346337?url=search-alias%3Dgarden&field-keywords=pill+splitter.

> Safeway used to carry a
> brand called Twin Labs but I went there to get some and they didn't
> have anything with that brand name, and no lysine caps, only tabs.
> The tabs actually have a bitter taste where the caps didn't and I
> can't sneak it into food easily.

I just grind it up finely and mix it in throroughly in their can of Fancy
Feast - they've never acted like they even tasted it. Of course, I only
give 2 500mg tablets split into 4 3oz cans of food. If they do object to
the taste, I think some drug stores have flavored compounding ingredients
that you could buy that might help.

> Even at almost 4 years old, Scarlett still gets occasional goopy
> eyes, but never the runny nose and sneezies she used to get. She
> used to sneeze so severely that her nose bled. Chronic sneezing can
> break little blood vessels (SP?) in the nose. I still have to wipe
> her eyes sometimes with warm wet cotton balls.

Aw, poor baby. I suffer from allergies and I know what it's like to have a
nose so sore it bleeds!

> Kudos to you for keeping up the regime of the lysine on a permanent
> basis. That takes great persistence and devotion.

Thanks, but it's for my own sanity - I can't stand to see that icky stuff in
their eyes!

Hugs,

CatNipped

> --
> Cheryl

CatNipped[_2_]
January 30th 08, 03:34 PM
"honeybunch" > wrote in message
> On Jan 29, 8:55 am, "CatNipped" > wrote:
>> "Cheryl" > wrote in message

>> > On Mon 28 Jan 2008 07:04:05p, Puss The Bounty Hunter wrote in
>> > rec.pets.cats.health+behav

>> > In the meantime, see if you can get at least some food into her.
>> > If you can get some baby food (all meat, no onions as they are
>> > toxic to cats) and see if she'll lick it off your finger or a
>> > spoon. Warm it just a tiny bit so the smell is stronger. If she
>> > won't lick it, you can wipe it on the inside of her mouth so
>> > she'll swallow it. If you don't have access to baby food, you can
>> > try blending some tuna, or cooked chicken, or even some chicken
>> > broth without salt or other additives.
>>
>> > Good luck. I have dealt with this so much with my youngest two
>> > when they were small and they didn't want to eat when they
>> > couldn't smell it.
>>
>> > --
>> > Cheryl
>>
>> Archer and Ozzy had problems with URIs (Feline Herpes Virus, or FHV) when
>> they were small too. Their eyes were all goopy with pus, their noses
>> were
>> constantly running and they were sneezing every few minutes. Besides
>> antibiotics from the vet for any secondary infection, I took the advice
>> of
>> the fosterer I got them from and gave them L-Lysine. This worked
>> absolute
>> wonders on them. It took a while to take effect completely (about 2
>> weeks),
>> but once the goopy eyes and runny noses were gone they never got it
>> again.
>> I keep all 5 of my cats on a maintenance dose now (the virus is still
>> "live"
>> even in remission and the L-Lysine helps keep it from being transmitted
>> my older cats). I crush 1/2 500mg tablet into each 3oz can of food twice
>> day (my 5 cats eat 4 3oz cans of Fancy Feast twice a day) and their eyes
>> are
>> always clear and healthy now
>> (http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Ozzy2/100_1195.jpg).
>>
>> Hugs,
>>
>> CatNipped
>
> Do not give that sick cat cognac.

What are you talking about? Who's giving sick cats cognac?

Hugs,

CatNipped

Puss The Bounty Hunter
January 30th 08, 07:24 PM
On Jan 28, 7:13 pm, "cindys" > wrote:
> "Puss The Bounty Hunter" > wrote in ...
> snip> She's going to the vet tomorrow. He told me that I can give her the
> > antihistamine, but she is gagging up entirely too much "ook" for me
> > not to worry. I think she needs to be seen.
>
> > Thanks, all.
>
> -------
> Hope she feels better. Tell us how it goes.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

She's better. Went to vet. URI dx. Got shots. Is sleeping most of the
time.